South Charleston, WV
Little Creek Park Share
Uploaded By: JMONEY Hole #3 (Taken 3/2011)

Good variety in 9

5+    6/1/2013   6/22/2013
Review By: Ceej1978
Pros: This is a nice little 9 hole that has a variety of elevation changes and turns. It's great for rec. or beginner players to improve and a nice quick course for intermediate and better players. It is located at the Little Creek City Park in South Charleston so any navigation should be able to find it. There are plenty of things to do at the park so for people that travel to play you can make a day of it.

There are plenty of woods to throw through to give the holes a bit of a challenge. There are several good elevation changes.
Cons: They could easily turn this into a full 18 holes. There aren't any alternate tees for a "back 9".
Other Thoughts: Overall this is a nice little par 3 course. I have played it more than 20 times and will continue to. I consider it my second home course and would recommend it to anyone. If you are coming to Charleston you should definitely stop and play a quick 9.

Unexpected fun stop in Charleston, WV

2-4    3/30/2013   4/4/2013
Review By: sisyphus
This review was updated on 2/24/2014
Pros: EDIT 2/24/14: Wow! Just saw the new 18 hole map, so this review is now outdated. First, they listed alternate tees on most of the original 9 holes, which added a great deal of variety, not just length, to over half the holes. That surely made this a much more interesting & challenging course. I hope someone swings by early in the spring for some new pics! Not sure when I'll get back through WV, but am looking forward to checking out all the NEW!
FYI: Old hole 5 is now 8, old 6 is now 10, old 7 is now 11, old 8 is now 11, and old 9 is now 15.

Little Creek Park is a surprisingly fun 9 hole course in a diverse & popular community park featuring the expected WV hills. From its mulched tee boxes to the nice Innova Discatchers, you won't encounter much in the way of distance, but the Rec to Intermediate player will be challenged by tight lines & elevations. There are durable tee signs and next tee markers throughout, as the course skirts its way around the access road at the top of the hills.

This park has a lot of activities for the whole family, from playgrounds & ball fields to really nice shelters with bathrooms. There weren't any trash bins or benches ON the course, but you do pass near about three of the shelters where these amenities are available.
Cons: The drive up can feel treacherous to us flatlanders, as the pavement is raised, twisty, and one lane narrow. Also, getting to the park entails an unexpected amount of traffic from the MacCorkle road exit off of I-64.

There isn't a whole lot of distance to these holes, and they have very little variety, hovering around the 200' mark. Higher skilled players won't likely need to break out any discs but their putters.

The tees could use those really nice sign upgrades that indicate the distance & elevation change. #8 definitely could use a sign showing where the basket is (blind, way uphill, and to the right).

The #2 fairway needs to have some work done to allow water to drain. It stays muddy for days and days after rain.
Other Thoughts: I normally want to visit a course multiple times before writing a review, but broke my 'rule' here after playing multiple rounds the same day because I actually liked what the designers have here. If you're driving through Charleston, I highly recommend stopping in for a quick round.

Hole by hole: Starting from the shelter at Area 12, you need a controlled mid to putter shot to stay right of the mando, but watch out for the branches & the severe rollaways that might put you OB over the road. Cross the driveway to the straight, relatively open #2, but avoid going right or long. # 3 is a nice floating anny (rhbh) through the trees to a ridge top basket position. Don't go long!

Walk up the hill, then shoot clean & straight to the top and a raised #4 basket. Long would be OK here: right gets you in trouble. Walk around the shelter & shoot the drop #5 through any of three narrow lines, then go left to shoot #6 slightly back up the grade.

#7 is another lane shot, with a large, safe landing zone near the basket. The #8 is the biggest challenge on the course, as a blind, uphill anny, while #9 is a fun little ace run to finish.

My 1st DGC of 2012

1    1/1/2012   1/1/2012
Review By: danhyzer
Pros: GREAT NEXT TEE SIGNS, don't need a map for this DGc as the next tee signs that are a few feet away from the last basket you played are very helpfull.

Beautifull park
Cons: ONLY 9 HOLES. PLENTY of room at this park. and if utilized better I personally feel they could have a championship style of a course than what they have now in place, not saying that this course sucked. But i'm just saying that they have ample room and could really be a GREAT DGC instead of a good disc golf course.

Dirt tees except for hole # 2 as hole # 2 teeing area is adjacent to the soap box derby area.

Tee signs didn't have layout of hole. (IMHO, I don't understand why this is. Directions to the park we're sufficent, but directions to play the DGcourse wasn't as good. as they're we're a couple of holes tat I didn't know where the basket was located (now since I've played this DGc, I'll know where the basket are. but or us tourists, I feel that the layout of the hole is just as important as the basket. And granted I did print a copy of the layout of the DGc from this site, but it was a vague map and not a highly detail layout of each individual hole like what I expect when I play new DG courses)
Other Thoughts: Park gate was locked. so I ventured out on foot thinking the course was just past the ball field or what I thought was a ball field from the gate. If I would of know that this field was a soccer field and not the ball field that the map of the DGC indicated it was near that I printed up from the courses web site, I might not of walked all the way UP the hill. And for you people not familar with West Virginia... their hills are some serious hills, not like what I'm used to in Canton, Ohio. But I walked all the way until I saw a basket. and the first basket I saw was # 9. Well the DGC starts almost opposite of basket # 9 on the other side of the "ball" field. After finishing my round in 30 minutes I walked the hills again, but this time I made my own short cuts as it was all downhill from basket # 9:D. WHY was the gate locked??

close prox. to I-64

Great for 9 holes

5+    10/4/2011   10/5/2011
Review By: tdor33
Pros: Short, technical course. Great place to improve your short game.
Elevation is used well in a small area (4 and 5 have drastic elevation changes)
Alternate tee locations give seven of the holes new looks. (Alt. 8 plays from the pavilion between pin 4 and tee 5)
Close to city of Charleston
Cons: All holes the same shot length
No wide open fairways
No concrete tee pads
Other Thoughts: This course is much better than the reviews make it out to be. Great place to work on short game or take new players to learn the game.

There are plans to expand the course to 18 holes throughout the park and adding concrete tee pads. Come out and support the course. Increased traffic will only help the cause.

3rd Round

1    9/2/2011   9/2/2011
Review By: ABCount
Pros: Quick to play. Elevation changes were nice, but not extreme. The signage was excellent for someone who has never played the course. The park, in general, was very nice. Carded my fist birdie ever (in three rounds) on number eight.
Cons: I don't have a lot of negative things to say about this course. Yes, it's only nine holes and that is a gigantic drawback. It also doesn't seem to be too challenging, but I've only played three courses, so take that opinion for what it's worth.
Other Thoughts: You have to remember that I am very new to this "sport." This is only the third time that I have played.

Fun short course

2-4    8/25/2011   8/26/2011
Review By: aupatking
Pros: Great short course layout. Lots of elevation change and challenging pin placements. Very fun course. Very well marked and easy to follow. I played it -3 with only 1 disc.
Cons: Way too short. This park is large and beautiful and the course could use alot more of it very easily. They need to stretch several holes out to add difficulty and variety of shots. No real hyzer holes and only 2 anhyzer holes. I don't know why it only has 9 holes. Also, the use of the elevation change is fun but, I am certain the terrain makes it unplayable for unfit or less mobile people. They need to incorporate switchbacks or other trail methods to make it accessible for a wider variety of fitness levels. I enjoyed it but could see at least 2 holes that would pose a danger to limited mobility players.
Other Thoughts: I did love this layout, my low rating aside. It is only due to length and possible difficulties for others.

Overall, Fun Course

2-4    7/7/2011   8/16/2011
Review By: Hawkmaster
Pros: Great baskets.
Decently good tees.
Nicely easy to navigate.
Good variety of shots.
Beautiful course.
Good use of land, fun throws.
Beginner-Intermediate friendly.
Cons: Signs not the best. (Not horrible though)
Other Thoughts: A great nine-hole course that is a good time to play. Worth the drive. You'll appreciate the nature, and fun holes. There's even a huge shot down a steep hill. Very good for it's level.

Decent, Quick Course

2-4    6/7/2011   6/7/2011
Review By: Keifla
Pros: This is a great course for beginners or for a quick game. The holes are fairly short, but offer some good challenges (i.e. dog legs, trees, elevated baskets, and downhill fairways). There is very little brush, so when I have to go dig out my disc I'm not fighting my way through vines.
Cons: The course is all the way on the backside of the park and the signage is limited.

Hole #2 is always muddy and wet.

Other Thoughts: The park has plenty of room for this course to be expanded into 18 holes, and could probably hold a second course like Rotary Park in Huntington.

Fun course

2-4    11/21/2010   11/21/2010
Review By: bryan
Pros: Nice variety of shots, good use of terrain. Perfect tee pads. Easy to navigate course. Great scenery. True par 3's - birdying is not super easy even though holes aren't that long.
Cons: A little tricky to find. No place for big arms to let loose. Only 9 holes. Please Charleston, let there be 18!
Other Thoughts: This is a great stop if you are in the Charleston area. Pretty park with nice hardwood forest. This has been much-needed for Charleston for a while, and a great addition to central/southern WV DG.

Quaint course in city park.

5+    7/25/2010   8/12/2010
Review By: Scazmatic
Pros: - Easy to navigate signage, both to the start of the course itself and from one hole to the next.

- Decent variety for such a compact course, with elevation changes, multiple shot shapes, and tight technical approaches through the trees.

- Minimal congestion, usually having the course to yourself.
Cons: - Course is relatively short and probably not much of a challenge for advanced players.

- Hole signage doesn't reflect distance or hole layout.

- At only nine holes with only one alternate tee, the course can get pretty repetitive.

- Old archery target on Hole 2 in middle of the fairway, despite adding "character," is pretty annoying.
Other Thoughts: Living in Hurricane and working in Charleston, Little Creek is probably my "home course." Though it leaves a lot to be desired for more advanced players, I think it's great that the city has invested the time, money, and space into developing this course for the community. It's a great place to learn the game, and it's a fairly convenient location from anyone visiting the general Charleston area. If you're swinging through and looking for a quick round, it's definitely worth playing, but in all honesty is probably not worth a dedicated trip by itself.