Grand Prairie, TX
Turner Park Share
Uploaded By: strain Hole #3 (Taken 2/2010)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Great course, tons of fun, but a hell of a walk

1    7/26/2015   7/26/2015
Review By: mavsfan0434
Pros: -Pretty much everything
Cons: -Pretty much nothing
Other Thoughts: I know it is a short review, but sometimes when a course is great you just let it be. I'm a newer player, and overweight, so this course really challenged me physically. Can't wait to go back and play it again.

Turner Park

5+    3/15/2015   5/15/2015
Review By: jtmoney
Pros: Elevation changes abound in this great 18 hole course. Multiple pin positions do make for different shots. Some of my personal favorite holes- Hole 2- great wide open shot that is deceptive, OB road on your right and woods behind the basket - a precise shot is more beneficial than just airing this one out, Hole 3 - low ceiling downhill with a possible skip- definitely aceable but the trees make for some great lines and strategy- pin is on a slope and will make you pay with a long roll out if you miss this putt. Hole 7- one of the very few holes in which a thumber or tomahawk is possibly the best line from the tee- You will want to throw this one multiple times it is very rewarding to throw - as the trees grow it will become harder and harder another rollout on a bad putt and your birdie will become bogie on this hole. Hole 10 has a line to the basket over a stream that snakes through the fairway takes precise placement to get your disc up by the basket from the tee. Hole 16 is really challenging if the basket is on the island- mandos keep discs from going out over the road and trees create real obstacles to airing it out over the creek. Hole 18 favors the longer arms but is pretty taxing for me after playing this course.
Cons: When there is a lot of wind this course is really difficult- Holes 1,2, 4, will have the wind throw your disc at parked or moving cars, in the street or parking lot. It is a part of this course but you have to play something stable or the wind will turn your disc over and send it into oncoming traffic. Don't park by hole 1's basket.
Other Thoughts: It is a fantastic course, the design is excellent, and it is really challenging, a good work out and you will use every shot in your bag. Great fun-

1    4/7/2015   4/8/2015
Review By: Hector Chain
Pros: This is a perfect city park for disc golf. There were very few other park users to contend with, and the elevation changes were big. Every hole has some elevation change, and nearly all of them have some trees to contend with.

The design here was really good. I can't even think of all the great holes, but here are a few:

Hole 7 was one of the shortest holes, but it had three distinct routes to the basket. The forehand route is tight but might get you closest. The hyzer or straight route is easier but requires a tricky uphill skip to get close. And there is a thumber route. The basket sits on a steep hill.

Hole 6 had some great pin placements within the roly poly valleys.

Hole 13 was maybe the best, a downhill huge drive through a gap with a late turn, and then another full throw to the basket uphill. I was pretty pumped to get a 3 on this.

Hole 16 was a blast, a huge downhill bomb. I was a little confused by which basket to use (I think there were two options), but I went to the island green that reminded me of a hole at Mile McIver used in the Beaver State Fling.

Water came into play on a few holes.

The tee signs were old but good, showing the various pin positions and distances.

Navigation was fine, but I'd recommend having the map.
Cons: Ants! The course is unforgettable, but the ants made double sure I'd never forget this day. Ouch. Be careful where you stand and where you put your bag.

This course will thrill intermediates. It might not challenge top tier players like other courses. There were worse criticisms.
Other Thoughts: This reminds me of Waterworks and Swope in Kansas City. What a fun course. Not a single hole I didn't enjoy.

Great Challenges In A Fun Layout

2-4    7/11/2014   7/21/2014
Review By: TejasKajun
Pros: + I appreciated the great use of natural terrain and elevation changes.
+ The tee boxes were solid and comfortable
+ Some of the baskets had tall flags for visual markings
+ I liked the challenges of the trees and tight tunnels that were made naturally (it probably is less challenging in the Winter I assume since its less growth)
+ Enjoyed the 860+ft Hole 18, not because of its length, but because of the challenge it posed through the terrain changes
Cons: - directional markers between basket and next tee box (possibly use painted or arrow shaped paver stones to direct players) so that you know which way to go on your first time playing it

- Holes #5/#6 ground markings and concrete arrows NEED to be repainted. I ended up performing loops to the wrong tee boxes before I saw the very faint arrows on the ground. Contrasting bright/dark paint every month or so won't hurt.

- tee sign vandalism sadly
- trash and waste at the tee boxes and around Hole #12's creeks sadly
- flag markers for some of the baskets would assist
- possibly create a system to let throwers know where the basket is placed at so newcomers (like myself) do not have to walk 3/4 of the fairway to find it... then walk back to their tee box
Other Thoughts: Overall, no course will ever be perfect or maintain that standing very long since there is a critic everywhere (like myself), but I really enjoyed this course.
It was recommended to me as I passed through the area and according to locals I shot very well for a first time player (-2 to +2) on the first rounds.
It was hot and windy and this park allows you to get some lift from the wind and the shade from the trees.
The elevation change and the natural trees, etc. make it fun to play.

Stay accurate, throw consistent, and make placements stay and you will have some good rounds here.

*definitely coming back next time I am in the area*

Elevation, Grass, Technical - Has It All

1    5/17/2014   5/18/2014
Review By: Topher024
Pros: Beautiful course that's well maintained. A nice mixture of long bomber holes as well as shorter technical shots with trees and very minor water hazards. Great use of elevation.

One box per hole, but basket positions are rotated from 2-3 locations based on a weekly schedule. I really like seeing the baskets flagged.
Cons: A couple spots where I couldn't immediately find the next box, but other players were more than helpful.
Other Thoughts: I met Jim, the course designer. Great guy and he hooked me up with a used driver to replace one I'd lost at home just before leaving for DFW.

Long, multifaceted course

1    4/1/2014   4/27/2014
Review By: Slimrn
Pros: - This course has a variety of distances which is good and bad. (1000ft 18th hole, really?)

-The signage is adequate to explain the confusing layout.

-I really liked how the baskets had orange flags on top to highlight them.
Cons: -This place taught me what "mandos" means. There are a lot of mandatory obstacles.

-The layout is a bit convoluted. You have to walk pretty far from one "part" opt the course to the next.

-A fair amount of non-DG use here so be ready to yell "FORE!!!"

Other Thoughts: Worth a shot at least once if you live around DFW!

Great course

1    1/25/2014   1/26/2014
Review By: freep
Pros: Great variety of hole types,tons of elevation changes. Lots of long drives required, I loved it. Well marked signs,easy to find the next hole, also liked the flags on each basket allowing you to see the baskets over hills.
Cons: Could be frustrating for beginners due to length of holes.
Other Thoughts: Definitely worth playing if you are in the area.

Elevated Course

1    1/26/2014   1/26/2014
Review By: WaterHole
Pros: I think this course is pretty well laid out. I was able to navigate fairly easily with the signs on the tee pads. This is a very challenging course both in DG and in hiking. This is one course that will always bring you back and make you want more.

Even with multiple roads bordering the course you don't "feel" like you are in the city.
Cons: Really couldn't think of any at this time.
Other Thoughts: I would advise that make sure you are well rested for the hike you take throughout this course.

"Hot" Course

1    8/24/2013   8/27/2013
Review By: The Drake
Pros: This is a well designed course with plenty of variety to keep you coming back for more. This course has literally everything you could ask for in a course. First and foremost it has elevation which having played in Mobile the last couple of years was a huge plus. Nearly every hole incorporates some sort of elevation adjustment be it from the fairways themselves or even just the putting green. Each hole feels like a new one, meaning you don't ever really throw the same shot twice. You will need every shot, and likely disc in your bag in order to score well. The course itself is well maintained with nice tee pads and accurate tee signs using satellite imaging to help with pin location. There are multiple pins for most holes if you like that sort of thing, though this course in my opinion would be just find with a single set. Plenty of natural OB with creeks, and park roads again add to the challenge of the course. There are also bathrooms on the course near the first few holes with a gas station across from 16 which is a nice bonus for a bathroom break or quick stop for a beverage during those hot rounds.

There are a few true par 4s and even the 18th is a borderline par 5 which is always a nice addition to the game.
Cons: Its Texas, and its hot. I played this course during a relatively "cool" Texas saturday morning and it was a solid 90 degrees. Bring water and protect yourself out there. For those players not in at least decent shape a full round out here will test your stamina. This is 18 holes of some real elevation change.

From a specific hole point of view the only issue I really have with the course is around the back few holes. 13-15 are in very close proximity so a heads up is necessary during busy rounds/tournaments. Even 18 can become problematic with 14 and 15 on the second shot when the pin is in the long. This is only a minor con though.

All and all there really aren't too many flaws with the course. The big thing I would point out is it is not beginner friendly. This is a long course. Based on the scores most people have posted this is not one you're going to run out and score low unless you're on your game.
Other Thoughts: I had the opportunity of playing this course during a weekend getaway to the Dallas-Fortworth area. It had been YEARS since my last golf experience in Texas and I'd forgotten just how many courses where in the area. The reviews I found for Turner are what turned me to this one over the myriad of others and it did not disappoint. I also brought with my my friends who I Was visiting and my wife, non of which are avid disc golfers. They agreed it was a very nice course, but the consistent complaint they had was the length of the course. By the 13th hole they were all pretty tired.

1    7/10/2013   7/10/2013
Review By: TheHipstick
Pros: Course has very nice teepads and baskets. Very nice course layout with great signage.
Cons: No real cons here. Only thing that could be a con would be the high amount of traffic this course gets.
Other Thoughts: Great course, another must play.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7