Grand Prairie, TX
Turner Park Share
Uploaded By: strain Hole #11 (Taken 2/2010)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Fun and challenging

1    10/1/2015   10/1/2015
Review By: hopalong
Pros: Lots of different kinds of shots, uphill, downhill, long, short etc.
Cons: Difficult to find hole 5 or 6 despite some signage. A short walk down the road is where you'll find it.
Other Thoughts: I would definitely play again!

Fun and Challenging

1    9/7/2015   9/7/2015
Review By: Doofenshmirtz
Pros: Turner Park is in a hilly area with scattered trees, several park roadways and a small creek running through it. The course layout utilizes these features very well placing baskets near roadways, the creek and on slopes that punish overthrows and inaccuracy very well.

Holes 1 and 2 are the most open holes on the course with no trees that come into play as I recall. And yet, ob sidewalks and roadway on 1 and brush past the basket on 2 provide challenge to start off your round.

Hole 3 has a basket on a slope with ob danger past and to the left (the direction of the slope) to make you wary of an overthrow from the tee.

Hole 4 follows with an uphill throw through a gap between or around trees and then then next few holes take you across the small creek, up hill, across the creek bottom, downhill, back up hill, and so forth. The elevation and creek has been used exceptionally well and this is a very fun course as a result.

The tee pads are the longest that I have ever played on. They are overkill on many of the shorter holes, but that's certainly nothing to complain about.

There are only two truly open holes (1 and 2). Every other hole requires some shot shaping, often times with a low ceiling to work with. There are also some very long holes, including a 1000+ finishing hole when the basket is in the log position, which it was when I played, and a long downhill, turnover hole that ends with a small island green.

There is virtually no repetitive feel to any of this course. The variety, elevation, use of the creek and challenge of the holes make this a course that I highly recommend if you are in the area.

This course is also very easy to get to off I-30, being only seconds away from the interstate.
Cons: There are multiple basket positions which are usually not visible from tee. The signs provide no indication of basket position and makes the information on the sign useless if you are not familiar with the course or don't scout ahead on most of the holes and there are a lot of tees from which the baskets cannot be seen.

Hole 18, in the short position looks like a really fun hole. In the long position, it was a bit of a slog, especially on a day in which the temp was near 100 degrees.

I'm not a fan of the "island" green on 16, but I also didn't let this factor into my rating because you can lay up and safely get on the green. If you want to go for the putt, you are risking some strokes. It's a little gimmicky, but I have seen far worse. This hole, despite the mandos off the tee, begs for you to throw toward oncoming traffic on your second shot.

The only other criticism that I have of this course is that it approaches garbage dump status with all the trash all over the course. I certainly hope this was only because I played on a holiday weekend, but the course condition note at the time of this writing worries me that it's like this a lot. Just a beautiful views can make a course a bit more fun to play, all the trash can be a downer.
Other Thoughts: I thoroughly enjoyed this couse, but my round was made longer by the need to scout almost every hole. I'd love to have this as a local course and highly recommend it to any travelers.

Great course, tons of fun, but a hell of a walk

1    7/26/2015   7/26/2015
Review By: mavsfan0434
Pros: -Pretty much everything
Cons: -Pretty much nothing
Other Thoughts: I know it is a short review, but sometimes when a course is great you just let it be. I'm a newer player, and overweight, so this course really challenged me physically. Can't wait to go back and play it again.

Turner Park

5+    3/15/2015   5/15/2015
Review By: jtmoney
Pros: Elevation changes abound in this great 18 hole course. Multiple pin positions do make for different shots. Some of my personal favorite holes- Hole 2- great wide open shot that is deceptive, OB road on your right and woods behind the basket - a precise shot is more beneficial than just airing this one out, Hole 3 - low ceiling downhill with a possible skip- definitely aceable but the trees make for some great lines and strategy- pin is on a slope and will make you pay with a long roll out if you miss this putt. Hole 7- one of the very few holes in which a thumber or tomahawk is possibly the best line from the tee- You will want to throw this one multiple times it is very rewarding to throw - as the trees grow it will become harder and harder another rollout on a bad putt and your birdie will become bogie on this hole. Hole 10 has a line to the basket over a stream that snakes through the fairway takes precise placement to get your disc up by the basket from the tee. Hole 16 is really challenging if the basket is on the island- mandos keep discs from going out over the road and trees create real obstacles to airing it out over the creek. Hole 18 favors the longer arms but is pretty taxing for me after playing this course.
Cons: When there is a lot of wind this course is really difficult- Holes 1,2, 4, will have the wind throw your disc at parked or moving cars, in the street or parking lot. It is a part of this course but you have to play something stable or the wind will turn your disc over and send it into oncoming traffic. Don't park by hole 1's basket.
Other Thoughts: It is a fantastic course, the design is excellent, and it is really challenging, a good work out and you will use every shot in your bag. Great fun-

1    4/7/2015   4/8/2015
Review By: Hector Chain
Pros: This is a perfect city park for disc golf. There were very few other park users to contend with, and the elevation changes were big. Every hole has some elevation change, and nearly all of them have some trees to contend with.

The design here was really good. I can't even think of all the great holes, but here are a few:

Hole 7 was one of the shortest holes, but it had three distinct routes to the basket. The forehand route is tight but might get you closest. The hyzer or straight route is easier but requires a tricky uphill skip to get close. And there is a thumber route. The basket sits on a steep hill.

Hole 6 had some great pin placements within the roly poly valleys.

Hole 13 was maybe the best, a downhill huge drive through a gap with a late turn, and then another full throw to the basket uphill. I was pretty pumped to get a 3 on this.

Hole 16 was a blast, a huge downhill bomb. I was a little confused by which basket to use (I think there were two options), but I went to the island green that reminded me of a hole at Mile McIver used in the Beaver State Fling.

Water came into play on a few holes.

The tee signs were old but good, showing the various pin positions and distances.

Navigation was fine, but I'd recommend having the map.
Cons: Ants! The course is unforgettable, but the ants made double sure I'd never forget this day. Ouch. Be careful where you stand and where you put your bag.

This course will thrill intermediates. It might not challenge top tier players like other courses. There were worse criticisms.
Other Thoughts: This reminds me of Waterworks and Swope in Kansas City. What a fun course. Not a single hole I didn't enjoy.

Great Challenges In A Fun Layout

2-4    7/11/2014   7/21/2014
Review By: TejasKajun
Pros: + I appreciated the great use of natural terrain and elevation changes.
+ The tee boxes were solid and comfortable
+ Some of the baskets had tall flags for visual markings
+ I liked the challenges of the trees and tight tunnels that were made naturally (it probably is less challenging in the Winter I assume since its less growth)
+ Enjoyed the 860+ft Hole 18, not because of its length, but because of the challenge it posed through the terrain changes
Cons: - directional markers between basket and next tee box (possibly use painted or arrow shaped paver stones to direct players) so that you know which way to go on your first time playing it

- Holes #5/#6 ground markings and concrete arrows NEED to be repainted. I ended up performing loops to the wrong tee boxes before I saw the very faint arrows on the ground. Contrasting bright/dark paint every month or so won't hurt.

- tee sign vandalism sadly
- trash and waste at the tee boxes and around Hole #12's creeks sadly
- flag markers for some of the baskets would assist
- possibly create a system to let throwers know where the basket is placed at so newcomers (like myself) do not have to walk 3/4 of the fairway to find it... then walk back to their tee box
Other Thoughts: Overall, no course will ever be perfect or maintain that standing very long since there is a critic everywhere (like myself), but I really enjoyed this course.
It was recommended to me as I passed through the area and according to locals I shot very well for a first time player (-2 to +2) on the first rounds.
It was hot and windy and this park allows you to get some lift from the wind and the shade from the trees.
The elevation change and the natural trees, etc. make it fun to play.

Stay accurate, throw consistent, and make placements stay and you will have some good rounds here.

*definitely coming back next time I am in the area*

Elevation, Grass, Technical - Has It All

1    5/17/2014   5/18/2014
Review By: Topher024
Pros: Beautiful course that's well maintained. A nice mixture of long bomber holes as well as shorter technical shots with trees and very minor water hazards. Great use of elevation.

One box per hole, but basket positions are rotated from 2-3 locations based on a weekly schedule. I really like seeing the baskets flagged.
Cons: A couple spots where I couldn't immediately find the next box, but other players were more than helpful.
Other Thoughts: I met Jim, the course designer. Great guy and he hooked me up with a used driver to replace one I'd lost at home just before leaving for DFW.

Long, multifaceted course

1    4/1/2014   4/27/2014
Review By: Slimrn
Pros: - This course has a variety of distances which is good and bad. (1000ft 18th hole, really?)

-The signage is adequate to explain the confusing layout.

-I really liked how the baskets had orange flags on top to highlight them.
Cons: -This place taught me what "mandos" means. There are a lot of mandatory obstacles.

-The layout is a bit convoluted. You have to walk pretty far from one "part" opt the course to the next.

-A fair amount of non-DG use here so be ready to yell "FORE!!!"

Other Thoughts: Worth a shot at least once if you live around DFW!

Great course

1    1/25/2014   1/26/2014
Review By: freep
Pros: Great variety of hole types,tons of elevation changes. Lots of long drives required, I loved it. Well marked signs,easy to find the next hole, also liked the flags on each basket allowing you to see the baskets over hills.
Cons: Could be frustrating for beginners due to length of holes.
Other Thoughts: Definitely worth playing if you are in the area.

Elevated Course

1    1/26/2014   1/26/2014
Review By: WaterHole
Pros: I think this course is pretty well laid out. I was able to navigate fairly easily with the signs on the tee pads. This is a very challenging course both in DG and in hiking. This is one course that will always bring you back and make you want more.

Even with multiple roads bordering the course you don't "feel" like you are in the city.
Cons: Really couldn't think of any at this time.
Other Thoughts: I would advise that make sure you are well rested for the hike you take throughout this course.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8