Grand Prairie, TX
Turner Park Share
Uploaded By: strain Hole #1 (Taken 2/2010)
Great signs with all the hole information

One of the best in DFW

1    5/28/2012   5/29/2012
Review By: Notorious21
Pros:
- Great variety of elevation, trees, and distances
- Well maintained grassy fairways
- Excellent teepads and signage
- Very challenging without being annoying, if that makes sense to anybody
Cons:
- If I had to nitpick, probably the overfilled trash cans, but that is more of an indictment on the people playing than the course itself
- This is easily one of the best courses I've played in DFW. I didn't get a particularly good score, but I didn't feel like I played poorly either; it's just a very fun and challenging course.

awesome

1    1/14/2012   1/15/2012
Review By: Fast Eddie
Pros: overall a great course nice tee boxes. easy to read signs at every hole . great elevation change much like my home coures munson park in denison tx.
Cons: none
Other Thoughts: my first time playing here was also my first tournament hole 18 was in the long position they said over 1000 feet. watch out for the creeks on 10 & 12 .

Precision course

2-4    11/27/2011   11/27/2011
Review By: lajoie24
This review was updated on 12/30/2011
Pros: Simply a fun precision course. Nice concrete tee boxes and good baskets with well placed bridges/stairs to make sure your navigation is as dry as possible. It also has awesome maps scattered throughout the course to make sure you don't get lost, This course has a lot of fun looks. Be sure to bring your creativity. This course is not built for "one shot" players.
Cons: I truly struggle to come up with legitimate "cons" for this course. The 800+ #18 seemed random.
Other Thoughts: Be mindful of the maps (or bring your own). The course is built in three parts separated by the park roads.

Great Competitive Course

1    10/23/2011   10/25/2011
Review By: Bmar04
Pros: Easy to find just right off I-30 and belt line. Excellent course to practice a combination of throws and discs. Baskets are placed awesome to really push those risk vs. reward shots. Signs of each whole are posted and tees are easy to find, would advise to always print out your own map though. Great course to play competition matches with friends and practice if you are solo. There are also baskets to practice throws by the playground.
Cons: The terrain is awesome but I played after a rain and it got pretty muddy and slick at times walking up and down some of the slopes to the baskets, so have some good soles on your shoes.
Other Thoughts: Will definitely play this course again.

1    6/20/2011   6/19/2011
Review By: papamullins
Pros: -Beautiful park
-Elevation change - you don't get to see much of this in the D/FW area
-A few porta-potties (sp?)
-Benches at quite a few tees
-Mix of open and wooded shots, so you're not constantly getting beat on by TX sun
-Great signage
-Some challenging shots here. A few holes in particular will make you really work to hit those lines.
-Loved the metal bridges and stairs throughout the course. It's obvious a lot of time, $$$ and hard work has gone into Turner Park to make it enjoyable for anyone that comes through.
Cons: -The only negative that immediately comes to mind is the slight confusion about some tee placements, which I detailed below. I will update this if I can think of any later on.
Other Thoughts: If you're as blind as I am - this might help:
To get to hole 5: walk down the street from the basket @ 4 and cross the street entrance you came in to the park. There's a dirt path on the other side of the road that will lead you to the tee box.
To get to 7: Walk up the street a bit and around the wooded area to find the tee box, just beyond 6's basket.

Hole 18 is a monster when the basket is at the long pin!

Overall I really enjoyed this course. The park was in great shape - baskets and chains were sturdy, concrete boxes, some of the best signs I have seen. It's definitely one of my favorites in the D/FW area.

Course for all levels of play

1    5/31/2011   6/1/2011
Review By: jbain2012
Pros: This course was actually pretty impressive. When you first get there it looks like you will just be playing a make shift course in an open field but it is actually a lot trickier and more fun than it looks. I like the up hills and low lying tree branches on most of the holes it was challenging for me because the course i play is always downhill and the trees are clear for higher shots.
Cons: The creek running through the course is nasty kinda like sewage water so play it safe on those holes and lay it up in the grass.
Other Thoughts: This is a very nice course that is a diamond in the rough anybody in the area should definitely hit up this course.

New Favorite Course

1    5/19/2011   5/21/2011
Review By: rbsold
Pros: Absolutely enjoyed this course. I'm from Houston, so I never get to see these kind of rolling hills. It's a beautiful park with a nice stream going all the way through it that adds challenge to every hole. The trees create some low ceilings on a few holes that adds to the versatility of the course. It has long open holes, short finesse ones as well. Nice teepads and signs with all the information. The course has all types of shots mixed in, not very dominant towards one throwing style. Will deffinitely love to come back, I personally think the course is underrated on here.
Cons: When I was there, there was quite a bit of trash, but I didnt really mind it, nor did I break out a garbage bag and go to work, so I cant fuss too much. Also there needs to be more signs pointing to the next teepad. a little confusing.
Other Thoughts: If you're in DFW, you have to hit this course up, It's my favorite course right now(even though I've only played like 15-16 courses). Wish it was in North Houston.

A Texas Beauty

1    3/23/2011   3/24/2011
Review By: sandford
Pros: OVERALL FUN FACTOR (16% weight) - 5 - I enjoyed this course so much, one of the favorites I have played so far. I had this sense of hope that I could make my disc do something really cool as I stepped up to each tee - I think that was inspired by the course.
COURSE DESIGN (14% weight) - 5 - Course design is fantastic. Located in a very large park, but mostly out of the way from other non-DG park goers. All the holes are well thought out with various tree, water, hill locations that force you to use a variety of shots.
SIGNS/MAPS/MARKERS (11% weight) - 3 - Signs at each tee are very descriptive to tell you how to play the hole, etc. Only thing missing were signs after each basket pointing to the location of the next tee pad.
TEE PADS (8% weight) - 4.5 - Liked the large concrete tee pads which taper down to point in the direction of the target
ELEVATION (8% weight) - 5 - I love the use of elevation in this course, throwing up over hills to the other side, down valleys and back up and both uphill and downhill shots. Very few simple flat holes.
SCENIC BEAUTY (8% weight) - 5 - This is a beautiful park, well kept and nice streams and landscaping
BASKETS (5% weight) - 5 - Baskets in great shape and well marked with flags to see from far away. Basket placements make for strategic putting - on edges of hills and near trees, etc. there are multiple pin placements that get rotated by the park also.
EPIC HOLES (5% weight) - 5 - Hole #12 with the s-curving stream running through is a keeper!
DISTANCE VARIETY (5% weight) - 5 - Great variety of short and long holes here.
SHOT VARIETY (5% weight) - 5 - I had to use every shot I know how to throw
FOLIAGE MAINTENANCE (3% weight) - 5 - Well maintained park
MIX OF TIGHT AND OPEN (3% weight) - 5 - The tight holes are that way because the throwing lines are set up through large trees have to keep control of both horizontal and vertical control of the disc. Open holes provided some "whew" type thoughts of relief when you step up to the tee pad because the tighter ones make you think so much.
OVERALL CHALLENGE (3% weight) - 5 - Good challenge, but not to a point of discouragement.
Cons: BENCHES / TRASH BINS (3% weight) - 2 - There are plenty of benches in the park, but none at the tee pads. There is a trash can every few holes. Could use benches, so I'm listing this as a con. Also could have used a bathroom there.
Other Thoughts: Locals are great too. I met up with another DGCR guy and swapped tags, he brought his friend along.

Very challenging indeed!

1    3/15/2011   3/17/2011
Review By: Chained Evil
Pros: This is the best course that I have played on in terms of variety of shot, elevation, risk reward, and length, both short and long. Some tee boxes are elevated and some baskets are elevated so these are both a plus. Also there is the risk of missing a putt and having it roll off/down the hill so that is good as well. A lot of trees on this course. Also there is a stream that flows on the front 9, but not so deep that you couldn't get your disc if you lost it. You could use a variety of shots on this course. Hole #12 has a water threat on it. Hole #13 has some length and has a lot of trees between the tee box and the basket.
There are also several holes that have mandos.
Hole #18 is a beast. 800+ feet, 400 feet of which are up hill and there are several trees in your way before you get to the crest of the hill, by this time you still have at least 300+ feet to go to the basket that is guarded by trees.
Many holes are surrounded by trees which makes a clean shot that much more difficult but also that much more of a challenge. In my opinion there is something for every level of player on this course. Overall it is a great course.
Cons: No bathrooms at this park. The porta potties needed empty/cleaned months ago. The transition from #4 to #5 was a little confusing, luckily I saw a local that pointed me in the right direction. People need to pick up their trash. For such a great course there was a lot of trash on the ground here, sad really.
Other Thoughts: I would have given this course a 4.5 if there were some restrooms and the course was cleaner. I realize this is not the courses fault, but nevertheless it does knock this stellar course down a bit. There was a playground there for the family. The locals were very friendly, and let me play thru and directed me in the correct direction upon me asking. I also asked a local about some places to buy discs and he told me about 2 different places so that was a plus. I wouldn't say that a first timer couldn't navigate this course alone, but I could see where there might be sometimes where you might want a spotter. I played here on a weekday in the afternoon and it wasn't overly crowded but there was traffic. In the spring time when there was more rain, the water threat could be great on #12 especially and maybe #5, #10 and some others on the front 9. Also when the trees get leaves it will make this beauty play even tougher. I will play this course again, and travel 400 miles to do so on my vacation. Great course

Recent improvement

5+    3/3/2011   3/6/2011
Review By: BlackStar
This review was updated on 3/30/2011
Pros: Most holes have multiple hole placements.
The designer is still active at the course. He recently added wood mulch at many of the holes and tees.
The course designer is moving the hole placement around every couple of weeks now. I love it.
Lots of elevation changes, both up and down.
Well kept by the city.
Cons: Bits of trash everywhere.
No water fountains or real restrooms (2 porta potties)
Other Thoughts: You all know me. I'm the one with the black lab caddy. Last year I took one plastic grocery bag with me each time I played to pick up trash until it was full. It never took so long that anyone had to wait for me or asked to play through. I was always able to fill it and after a few weeks the park was noticeably cleaner. If everyone would just pick up one or two holes of the little bits of trash every 4th or 5th round you played we could all keep it perfect. I will.
If you won't do that, at least carry your bottles/cans to the next trash can. They are all over the park.
It's a great park and it is just that much nicer if it's clean.
Thanks