Grand Prairie, TX
Turner Park Share
Uploaded By: strain Hole #18 (Taken 2/2010)

Turner Park was a Leg Burner

2-4    10/30/2010   11/3/2010
Review By: sheamous
This review was updated on 1/24/2011
Pros: Elevation, mandos, shallow creeks (which I totally had to go in for a disc or two with no problem), immaculately kept fairways and greens, close to the highway for a quick round, and lots of variation between holes. I love the rolling hills on this course. Reminds me of courses in Austin. Nice tee boxes and baskets. Pretty easy to navigate. Two putting and approach baskets near hole #1.
Cons: A lot of trees…and not tree alleys. They're everywhere. In the fall it's not too bad but leaf-on gets pretty limited on this course as small windows become nonexistent. Be prepared to smack some bark on this course, as a lot of the trees are low-lying and require many worm burner drives.
Not a good course for beginners, due to technicality. Ams and Pros will love the OBs and Mandos though.
Other Thoughts: This may be the cleanest and best kept course in the DFW area. No trash and I saw park employees picking up trash from the course Saturday 4 times. Saturday minis look fun. One was running behind us and they never pressured us to go faster or get off the course. We appreciated that a lot. They also asked numerous times if we wanted to jump in the tournament. Maybe next time! :) Pros attend the Tuner Park Tune Up and it was pretty cool to watch those guys play.

Long Overdue

5+    9/4/2010   9/10/2010
Review By: gsw_03
Pros: Great elevation changes. Mature trees provide plenty of shade on those hot summer days. Good mix of long and short, open and wooded holes. Very few holes that forgive an errant tee shot, considering the generous use of Mandos. Creeks that penalize but don't eat discs. Gas station across from 16 provides an opportunity for food and drinks.
Cons: Slight predominance of lefty holes, though if you have a decent RHFH or turnover shot, this is not a problem. No permanent facilities. NO DRINKING WATER.
Other Thoughts: Thought I had reviewed this course long ago, since I've been playing it as my home course since before concrete pads were poured... I'm glad I haven't though, as this course has improved steadily over the past year and my rating is significantly higher than it would've been. This is one of the best courses in the DFW. If you live within 30 minutes and don't play it often, you're doing yourself a disservice. If there were real bathrooms and water fountains, I would give it a 4.5 rating.

Decidedly my favorite course.

1    8/5/2010   8/25/2010
Review By: mattj
Pros: This course has what I want in a course. Dramatic elevation change, variation and complexity are abundant, and well thought out.
A wonderful variety of holes ( 3-4 of which I place in the top ten holes in DFW) that challenge players to use all their shot-making skills, and rewards success very consistently.
The majority of the holes provide a great deal of lattitude for approaches, for as we know, disc throws can follow unlimited different flight paths, and due to the consistently windy conditions there, this characteristic is HUGE!
Cons: I disagree with the rating system of 5 being "perfect in every way". Sorry disc course review, but if a rating of 5 is impossible, then why have it.
Other Thoughts: Try a roller on 16, but get a spotter.
This is a fun course, and an awesome test.

Over the Hill and Through the Woods

1    8/14/2010   8/17/2010
Review By: AequitasVeritas
Pros: -Extremely well maintained. Barely any trash at all.
-Baskets are in fantastic shape.
-Concrete Tee's. And I don't recall one that was too short!
-Great signage on each box.
-Uses the natural terrain extremely well.
-Had 3 500'+ holes.
-Will challenge even the best player to do well.
Cons: -Can be a little difficult to navigate. For example, hole 4 to 5 is down the hill, down the road, and across the street.
-Private city property on the right side of hole 8. Easily lose a disc over the fence. Don't even try to go for it. Barbed wire + razor wire.
Other Thoughts: I have been meaning to play this course for a while now. Finally got a chance to! Seems that there are mini's every Saturday at 10am, so plan accordingly as it seems that they have a pretty large turnout. The course is extremely challenging so bring your A game. If you have never played this course, I would recommend bringing someone who has played this course before or a map.

Great course, can't wait to learn my lines on it and play in some mini's!

Turner Park

1    8/5/2010   8/6/2010
Review By: StPaulie
Pros: Beautiful park, well maintained and quiet. There are multiple basket locations on most of the holes. The baskets are in very good repair and marked with florescent pink/orange tape. Many had flags on poles. Tee pads appeared to be fairly new and in great shape, the same with the signs. The signs are some of the best I have seen. Each one includes information on the current hole with a map of the full course. There are trash cans at frequent intervals and the park was pretty clean.The designers have done a great job using the terrain available here. Good use of the hills providing challenge here, you will even have some blind shots. I loved the old mature trees you will have to play under around and maybe even over. There is a nice small steam that is used very well. The only exception to the small part is one section on hole #5. There is a rather deep pool under a tree that I managed to put my disc in. Be careful if you put your disc in here it is surprisingly deep. I was soaked after words. Felt good in the 102 degree heat though. There are plenty of well marked "mandos" to maneuver around. Nice mix of distance and accuracy shots required. There were very few people out the day I played but with the temperature of 102 at 6pm that was not a big surprise. The locals I did meet were very friendly and helpful, thanks guys for pointing out hole one to me.
Cons: There is very little I can say as a con. It was a little hard finding hole #1, however the locals helped me out here. The is no Par marked on the holes but usually play everything as a 3 anyway. The heat in August is incredible so be prepared. I did not see the poison ivy others have talked about but I may have just missed it.
Other Thoughts: All is all this is one of the better courses I have played. I suspect that when the temperatures subside there will be many more people enjoying the park. For the most part the disc golf is separate from the rest of the park. Hole #3 is the biggest exception.
This was a very fun course to play with many risk/reward decisions to make. I hope to coma back again the next time I am in the area.

great looking park but be prepared for a hike

1    7/17/2010   7/18/2010
Review By: jermlac
Pros: - Mostly Wooded which provides great shade
- Hills and shallow creeks that really make this a scenic and seculded course, even though its in the city.
- Easy to get to since it's just off I30, and there is a nice gas station across the street for that drink you wish you would have brought.
- Each Tee has a sign with a map and a trash can attached.
- Park was very clean and well kept up with. I heard that Grand Prairie Parks just redid this course and they did a great job with the design and layout for the use of the land.
- Pins have florescent tape on them as well as marker flags to help you find them over the hill you are behind.
Cons: - The park is very hilly and covers a lot of area. If you carry lots of discs, you may disc down for this course to save your back.
- None of the actual holes are labeled a Par yet. Make sure you bring the Par #'s off this site with you for scoring.
- There is poison ivy throughout the wooded area along the shallow creek. If you are allergic, watch where you reach for that disc.
Other Thoughts: A friend of mine recommended this course and a beautiful place to get in a round on a Saturday afternoon. I have to agree. The course navigates well if you look at the Tee signs and has easy to find (red arrow) signs for out of bounds areas. Every time you come to a creek bed (dry or not) you find a nice foot bridge to cross and none of the creeks are more than ankle deep if you have to go in for a disc. I played this course on a 100 degree day and wish I would have brought more than my 2 bottles of water. We made it to 14 (back at the parking lot) and called it quits from there before it got dark.

P.S. If you loose your disc on the roof to the left of hole 2, there is a chain link fence at the back to give you a boost. Don't tell anyone I told you.

Beautiful park with some beauiful holes

1    7/13/2010   7/15/2010
Review By: NDABRUSH
Pros: Clean park with well manicured grass and well defined fairways. Almost totally DG exclusive. Every Tee sign has a course map on it. I had never seen that. Hilly and wooded terrain. about 2/3 of the course is played under wooded canopy or through trees with elevation coming into play on most holes. There are still some young trees that in 3 yrs will possibly push this course into the heavily wooded category. Great use of terrain with hillsides which offer some tricky approach shots. So many unique holes at which I would just stare and finally say "Hell Yes". Heard running water twice which helped it feel extremely secluded for a city park. You throw from below hills with tree lined fairways. You also throw from the top of hills into a pocket of trees with a creek coming into play on some holes. Even hole 13(I think) that is close to Belt Line Rd., the hole is so cool that you must forgive it because this IS where you wanted this pad. Just a great.. great hole. Beautiful flora and a wide variety of trees. I can't stress enough how well the hills and trees were used in the design.
Cons: No trash cans. Need lots of benches for this hilly leg burning hike. A couple of holes next to a road, but you ARE in a city park so no big deal. I can't think of many cons at this point. When I play it again, I might notice more.
Other Thoughts: For a casual rec player like me, this was a scenic and challenging round. Sometimes when I play a course for a second time, I sometimes notice more flaws than the my 1st round. As of now, I love this course. Only time will tell if it will hold up as a 4 as I play more course.

Quality

1    7/10/2010   7/11/2010
Review By: grizzledizzle55
This review was updated on 7/17/2010
Pros: -Good elevation changes.
-Many technical holes.
-850ft final hole.
-Very well maintained
-Cement Tee boxes
Cons: -A little tough to navigate the first time you play there
-Can get a little muddy at times
-A few holes on the front are a little crammed together
Other Thoughts: I really like all of the elevation changes. Very enjoyable course. Really easy to find. We played there and it was empty. You need to be creative on this course. Not too hard of a course though, I would recommend this course to ppl of all skill sets. Be aggressive, there are some ace runs here. You can get into trouble, but it is not likely to lose a disk.

not what i expected, but good

1    7/6/2010   7/9/2010
Review By: StumperTX
Pros: this course will demand your accuracy and punish you if you don't bring it

a couple longer holes to stretch your arm
Cons: layout confusing as all hell. glad I had a course vet with me or half my round would have been finding the next tee

distances and directions not well marked
Other Thoughts: I expected a much longer course, but found myself throwing whippets and leos off the tee more often than not

One of DFW's best!

1    6/10/2010   6/19/2010
Review By: dreadlock86
This review was updated on 11/23/2011
Pros: -Fantastic use of the land
-Great variety in distance, elevation, and terrain
-Very tricky basket placements for many risk/reward opportunities
-Very challenging
-Lots of interesting obstacles but the fairways are fair
-Wooded areas eliminate certain shots but there are still options and still room to shape lines
-Generally clean and nice-looking park
-Great bridges and staircases over creeks and down hills
-OB and water hazards
Cons: -Can be VERY windy
-A couple long walks between holes
-Many very long holes on the back 9 that will hurt the scores of any noodle arms
-Poison ivy, I saw lots in various places but especially beware the area to the right of basket #8 and the path between 9 and 10.
-The pavilion near hole 3 could be dangerous for other park guests
-Several roads go inside the park so a stray drive could hit a car on a couple holes.
Other Thoughts: This is a really well-thought out course in the middle of DFW. A great addition to the top tier of courses in the area. I would definitely recommend this course to anyone traveling to DFW.

There is great variety here though the course is generally on the longer side. The changes in elevation are what stand out the most. Nearly every hole has some change in elevation and many baskets are placed right next to some kind of drop off or hill. It really puts on the pressure when deciding to go for it or lay up for par.

The signs are also great because they have an entire course map on each one so you can always see where you are and what is next.

A great course for group play and doubles rounds since there is a challenge for any kind of player and the roll-away possibilities make for exciting competition.

Overall, a really fun course and one of DFW's best.

**Like this review? Hate it? Message me and let me know why! I want to make them better!**