Grand Prairie, TX
Turner Park Share
Uploaded By: Donovan Hole #2 (Taken 6/2009)

Fun Course

1    2/19/2011   2/21/2011
Review By: gek76
Pros: Each hole was unique. Never felt like I was throwing the same hole over and over.
Loved the use of the hills. The layout really took advantage of the hills. Making you throw up hill, down hill or over hills.
Well marked mandatories. Most tree mandatories are spray painted with an arrow and Road/Out of Bounds where marked on Tee Signs.
Water hazards where fun but not intimidating. No giant pond to throw over but nice pretty creeks.
Great signs.
Excellent Concrete Tees.
Great baskets.
Cons: Would be nice if there was a marker pointing to next tee. Luckily I hooked up with a local other wise I would have spent a few minutes trying to find the next tee.
Other Thoughts: Was up in the area and decided to try out a new park. Though it took me longer to drive to the park then I anticipated, GPS routed me a really weird way, I wasn't disappointed with the course. Park was clean and well taken care of. It felt safe. Plenty of other disc golfers around yet didn't feel crowded. Started out playing alone but quickly hooked up with a local. If you see Steve with his black lab ask to play a round with him. He was friendly, knew the course well and helped me understand the layout of each hole. They have installed metal stairs in a couple of places on the path between holes. Watch your step on stairs, easy to misjudge the step size( seemed like each step was a different width ) and stumble. Park seemed dog friendly but you would want to keep them on a leash because of the park road that crosses the course. Except for the 2 sets of stairs you could easily push a stroller or cart around the course.

Turn and return

1    2/16/2011   2/16/2011
Review By: clipnfly
Pros: This is a great DG course. I wikl come back to play again. Full review in other box...
Cons: No real cons "cept no alt tee pads... but variety of lengths on this course makes it not as important... if many were way long I would loke some shorter choices...
Other Thoughts: This is my disc golf course rating system. Each element of the course is worth disc for a total of 10, disc units or 5 full discs of rating.
My 10 categories are:
1. Quality of tee pads.
2. Quality of signage, both individual hole signs as well as a sign board and course layout at the hole one beginning location.
3. Course amenities. Benches at tees, garbage cans on course, disc bag posts/hooks, next tee arrows, etc.
4. Overall park amenities. Things like bathrooms, drinking fountains, playground areas, anything that improves the overall location.
5. Overall use of available terrain features. How well did the designers use what they had to work with?
6. Changes in elevation. Some courses have this occurring naturally. Others have created it. Either way it is vital that a good course is beyond flat... even in Iowa or Nebraska.
7. Variety of hole length. Is it mixed up? Some long, some short. Keep things interesting.
8. Tee and basket options. Are there tee options and/or alternate basket locations? Can the course be played different on different visits?
9. Signature hole? Is there one hole in specific that leaves an impression? Creates a unique memory?
10. Fun Factor - Purely subjective on my part. Did I have fun?

Turner Park, Grand Prairie, TX

1. Yes. Good tee pads.
2. Yes. Good signage on posts. Main map on each tee sign to show transitions. Multiple pin locations shown.
3. Yes. Trash cans, benches, bridges over creeks. All well done.
4. Yes. Overall nice clean park. Benches, BBQ grills, playground equipment, bathrooms, water fountain, etc.
5. Yes. Very well done. Flows well through park. Minimal cross over of other park users. Creek areas and hilly sections were well incorporated into hole designs.
6. Yes. Existing elevation and terrain is incorporated well into course layout.
7. Yes. Some longer, some shorter. A good mix is offered.
8. Yes/no. No tee options but there are alt. pin locations here.
9. Yes. I might pick 5 as a great example of this course... has it all... elevation, water, trees, protected basket. Not too long for amateurs.
10. Yes. I had big fun. A local could play here every week and it would always plan great. Could host a tourney well here, too.
11.
Rating = 9 yes, 1 no = 4.5 disc rating

Best Course in Dallas!

2-4    2/12/2011   2/13/2011
Review By: Don Juan
This review was updated on 3/5/2014
Pros: Beautifully kept course. This place was made for people obsessed with disc golf.
1. Map of hole and of WHOLE course at every tee.
2. Multiple basket placements.
3. Large variety of shots.
4. No tiny shots.
5. One nearly 900 foot hole! #18
6. Very well designed.
7. New baskets, no useless 12 chain baskets.
There is a very thin creek that comes into play at about 4 holes. The creek is used amazingly, one of the coolest holes I've ever seen is hole #12.
Cons: One of the only cons that I can think of is that you have to walk across driveways in order to get to the next hole twice. A little inconvenient, that's all. Aside from that, in my opinion, this would be a 5.0 course.
Other Thoughts: Cool view of a giant American flag, if you turn around on hole #14. God Bless America! The course itself is not hard to find, look for the large sign that says Grand Prairie, then take a right, first hole is in the middle of the park near a playground.

Great Course Great Walk

1    1/29/2011   1/31/2011
Review By: goodolrebel
This review was updated on 2/2/2011
Pros: I love the elevation changes, all 18 holes have some sort of elevation change. You're either tossing Up, Down or Across a hill. Course has a nice flow to it. Good use of Mandos makes the course a challange. Easy to find right off I-30 and Belt Line Rd. I like the bridges crossing the creeks. The flags on top of the Baskets it gives you a target to throw to. I liked the Tee boxes having two signs showing you the lay out of the Course and the Hole
Cons: Course could use some benchs Looks like it could get a little crowded on the weekend but it was 70 degrees on Saturday when we played. It could get real muddy after a good rain
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed playing Turner Park I will Definitely will be playing this course again.

Best course in DFW

5+    1/18/2011   1/19/2011
Review By: Pizza God
Pros: Good Tee pads
good tee signs
2 practice baskets
very good mix of holes
2 very good par 5 holes
very good elevation for Texas
great baskets
multiple pin locations on most holes
Cons: can be muddy, but playable even if it is raining. (I have only played this course a few times dry)

Ok, that's all I can think of.

Oh, I HATE that walk up the hill from 13 to 14, it kills me everytime.
Other Thoughts: This is a GREAT course. I don't get to play it very often, but is one of my top 10 best courses (out of the 225 I have played)

This course REALLY uses the land to make a fun course to play.

some of the holes are very long for new players, but for someone like me who has been playing for a while, I really enjoy getting to drive twice on a few holes.

As a side note, the 1st time I ever played #18 long, I got a 3. Two rollers.

What a course should look like!

1    11/12/2010   11/12/2010
Review By: userissteve
Pros: Very playable course - no 150' tunnels off the t-box - but plenty of challenge to find and stick to a line. Best course I've played so far when it's sprinkling/drizzling out because of the concrete t-boxes and lack of dusty back roads holes. Looks like the whole course stays mowed in that it's all appears to be part of the normal park maitenance.
Cons: Seems a little wedged into the park with many fairways right next to each other and the other fairways being declared OB. Guessing that there would be problems on a weekend when the park is fully used - just guessing. Played it on a Friday a.m. Number 8 is still out - but the course appears to be well managed since it still has explainatory signs about 8 and what to do to substitute (split 18 with a temp tee).
Other Thoughts: My new favorite course! It's just gorgeous! First time I'd played a course with those helpful flags on top of the pins.

Turner Park was a Leg Burner

2-4    10/30/2010   11/3/2010
Review By: sheamous
This review was updated on 1/24/2011
Pros: Elevation, mandos, shallow creeks (which I totally had to go in for a disc or two with no problem), immaculately kept fairways and greens, close to the highway for a quick round, and lots of variation between holes. I love the rolling hills on this course. Reminds me of courses in Austin. Nice tee boxes and baskets. Pretty easy to navigate. Two putting and approach baskets near hole #1.
Cons: A lot of trees...and not tree alleys. They're everywhere. In the fall it's not too bad but leaf-on gets pretty limited on this course as small windows become nonexistent. Be prepared to smack some bark on this course, as a lot of the trees are low-lying and require many worm burner drives.
Not a good course for beginners, due to technicality. Ams and Pros will love the OBs and Mandos though.
Other Thoughts: This may be the cleanest and best kept course in the DFW area. No trash and I saw park employees picking up trash from the course Saturday 4 times. Saturday minis look fun. One was running behind us and they never pressured us to go faster or get off the course. We appreciated that a lot. They also asked numerous times if we wanted to jump in the tournament. Maybe next time! :) Pros attend the Tuner Park Tune Up and it was pretty cool to watch those guys play.

Long Overdue

5+    9/4/2010   9/10/2010
Review By: gsw_03
Pros: Great elevation changes. Mature trees provide plenty of shade on those hot summer days. Good mix of long and short, open and wooded holes. Very few holes that forgive an errant tee shot, considering the generous use of Mandos. Creeks that penalize but don't eat discs. Gas station across from 16 provides an opportunity for food and drinks.
Cons: Slight predominance of lefty holes, though if you have a decent RHFH or turnover shot, this is not a problem. No permanent facilities. NO DRINKING WATER.
Other Thoughts: Thought I had reviewed this course long ago, since I've been playing it as my home course since before concrete pads were poured... I'm glad I haven't though, as this course has improved steadily over the past year and my rating is significantly higher than it would've been. This is one of the best courses in the DFW. If you live within 30 minutes and don't play it often, you're doing yourself a disservice. If there were real bathrooms and water fountains, I would give it a 4.5 rating.

Decidedly my favorite course.

1    8/5/2010   8/25/2010
Review By: mattj
Pros: This course has what I want in a course. Dramatic elevation change, variation and complexity are abundant, and well thought out.
A wonderful variety of holes ( 3-4 of which I place in the top ten holes in DFW) that challenge players to use all their shot-making skills, and rewards success very consistently.
The majority of the holes provide a great deal of lattitude for approaches, for as we know, disc throws can follow unlimited different flight paths, and due to the consistently windy conditions there, this characteristic is HUGE!
Cons: I disagree with the rating system of 5 being "perfect in every way". Sorry disc course review, but if a rating of 5 is impossible, then why have it.
Other Thoughts: Try a roller on 16, but get a spotter.
This is a fun course, and an awesome test.

Over the Hill and Through the Woods

1    8/14/2010   8/17/2010
Review By: AequitasVeritas
Pros: -Extremely well maintained. Barely any trash at all.
-Baskets are in fantastic shape.
-Concrete Tee's. And I don't recall one that was too short!
-Great signage on each box.
-Uses the natural terrain extremely well.
-Had 3 500'+ holes.
-Will challenge even the best player to do well.
Cons: -Can be a little difficult to navigate. For example, hole 4 to 5 is down the hill, down the road, and across the street.
-Private city property on the right side of hole 8. Easily lose a disc over the fence. Don't even try to go for it. Barbed wire + razor wire.
Other Thoughts: I have been meaning to play this course for a while now. Finally got a chance to! Seems that there are mini's every Saturday at 10am, so plan accordingly as it seems that they have a pretty large turnout. The course is extremely challenging so bring your A game. If you have never played this course, I would recommend bringing someone who has played this course before or a map.

Great course, can't wait to learn my lines on it and play in some mini's!