Grand Prairie, TX
Turner Park Share
Uploaded By: strain Hole #2 (Taken 2/2010)

Great Course Great Walk

1    1/29/2011   1/31/2011
Review By: goodolrebel
This review was updated on 2/2/2011
Pros: I love the elevation changes, all 18 holes have some sort of elevation change. You're either tossing Up, Down or Across a hill. Course has a nice flow to it. Good use of Mandos makes the course a challange. Easy to find right off I-30 and Belt Line Rd. I like the bridges crossing the creeks. The flags on top of the Baskets it gives you a target to throw to. I liked the Tee boxes having two signs showing you the lay out of the Course and the Hole
Cons: Course could use some benchs Looks like it could get a little crowded on the weekend but it was 70 degrees on Saturday when we played. It could get real muddy after a good rain
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed playing Turner Park I will Definitely will be playing this course again.

Best course in DFW

5+    1/18/2011   1/19/2011
Review By: Pizza God
Pros: Good Tee pads
good tee signs
2 practice baskets
very good mix of holes
2 very good par 5 holes
very good elevation for Texas
great baskets
multiple pin locations on most holes
Cons: can be muddy, but playable even if it is raining. (I have only played this course a few times dry)

Ok, that's all I can think of.

Oh, I HATE that walk up the hill from 13 to 14, it kills me everytime.
Other Thoughts: This is a GREAT course. I don't get to play it very often, but is one of my top 10 best courses (out of the 225 I have played)

This course REALLY uses the land to make a fun course to play.

some of the holes are very long for new players, but for someone like me who has been playing for a while, I really enjoy getting to drive twice on a few holes.

As a side note, the 1st time I ever played #18 long, I got a 3. Two rollers.

What a course should look like!

1    11/12/2010   11/12/2010
Review By: userissteve
Pros: Very playable course - no 150' tunnels off the t-box - but plenty of challenge to find and stick to a line. Best course I've played so far when it's sprinkling/drizzling out because of the concrete t-boxes and lack of dusty back roads holes. Looks like the whole course stays mowed in that it's all appears to be part of the normal park maitenance.
Cons: Seems a little wedged into the park with many fairways right next to each other and the other fairways being declared OB. Guessing that there would be problems on a weekend when the park is fully used - just guessing. Played it on a Friday a.m. Number 8 is still out - but the course appears to be well managed since it still has explainatory signs about 8 and what to do to substitute (split 18 with a temp tee).
Other Thoughts: My new favorite course! It's just gorgeous! First time I'd played a course with those helpful flags on top of the pins.

Turner Park was a Leg Burner

2-4    10/30/2010   11/3/2010
Review By: sheamous
This review was updated on 1/24/2011
Pros: Elevation, mandos, shallow creeks (which I totally had to go in for a disc or two with no problem), immaculately kept fairways and greens, close to the highway for a quick round, and lots of variation between holes. I love the rolling hills on this course. Reminds me of courses in Austin. Nice tee boxes and baskets. Pretty easy to navigate. Two putting and approach baskets near hole #1.
Cons: A lot of trees…and not tree alleys. They're everywhere. In the fall it's not too bad but leaf-on gets pretty limited on this course as small windows become nonexistent. Be prepared to smack some bark on this course, as a lot of the trees are low-lying and require many worm burner drives.
Not a good course for beginners, due to technicality. Ams and Pros will love the OBs and Mandos though.
Other Thoughts: This may be the cleanest and best kept course in the DFW area. No trash and I saw park employees picking up trash from the course Saturday 4 times. Saturday minis look fun. One was running behind us and they never pressured us to go faster or get off the course. We appreciated that a lot. They also asked numerous times if we wanted to jump in the tournament. Maybe next time! :) Pros attend the Tuner Park Tune Up and it was pretty cool to watch those guys play.

Long Overdue

5+    9/4/2010   9/10/2010
Review By: gsw_03
Pros: Great elevation changes. Mature trees provide plenty of shade on those hot summer days. Good mix of long and short, open and wooded holes. Very few holes that forgive an errant tee shot, considering the generous use of Mandos. Creeks that penalize but don't eat discs. Gas station across from 16 provides an opportunity for food and drinks.
Cons: Slight predominance of lefty holes, though if you have a decent RHFH or turnover shot, this is not a problem. No permanent facilities. NO DRINKING WATER.
Other Thoughts: Thought I had reviewed this course long ago, since I've been playing it as my home course since before concrete pads were poured... I'm glad I haven't though, as this course has improved steadily over the past year and my rating is significantly higher than it would've been. This is one of the best courses in the DFW. If you live within 30 minutes and don't play it often, you're doing yourself a disservice. If there were real bathrooms and water fountains, I would give it a 4.5 rating.

Decidedly my favorite course.

1    8/5/2010   8/25/2010
Review By: mattj
Pros: This course has what I want in a course. Dramatic elevation change, variation and complexity are abundant, and well thought out.
A wonderful variety of holes ( 3-4 of which I place in the top ten holes in DFW) that challenge players to use all their shot-making skills, and rewards success very consistently.
The majority of the holes provide a great deal of lattitude for approaches, for as we know, disc throws can follow unlimited different flight paths, and due to the consistently windy conditions there, this characteristic is HUGE!
Cons: I disagree with the rating system of 5 being "perfect in every way". Sorry disc course review, but if a rating of 5 is impossible, then why have it.
Other Thoughts: Try a roller on 16, but get a spotter.
This is a fun course, and an awesome test.

Over the Hill and Through the Woods

1    8/14/2010   8/17/2010
Review By: AequitasVeritas
Pros: -Extremely well maintained. Barely any trash at all.
-Baskets are in fantastic shape.
-Concrete Tee's. And I don't recall one that was too short!
-Great signage on each box.
-Uses the natural terrain extremely well.
-Had 3 500'+ holes.
-Will challenge even the best player to do well.
Cons: -Can be a little difficult to navigate. For example, hole 4 to 5 is down the hill, down the road, and across the street.
-Private city property on the right side of hole 8. Easily lose a disc over the fence. Don't even try to go for it. Barbed wire + razor wire.
Other Thoughts: I have been meaning to play this course for a while now. Finally got a chance to! Seems that there are mini's every Saturday at 10am, so plan accordingly as it seems that they have a pretty large turnout. The course is extremely challenging so bring your A game. If you have never played this course, I would recommend bringing someone who has played this course before or a map.

Great course, can't wait to learn my lines on it and play in some mini's!

Turner Park

1    8/5/2010   8/6/2010
Review By: StPaulie
Pros: Beautiful park, well maintained and quiet. There are multiple basket locations on most of the holes. The baskets are in very good repair and marked with florescent pink/orange tape. Many had flags on poles. Tee pads appeared to be fairly new and in great shape, the same with the signs. The signs are some of the best I have seen. Each one includes information on the current hole with a map of the full course. There are trash cans at frequent intervals and the park was pretty clean.The designers have done a great job using the terrain available here. Good use of the hills providing challenge here, you will even have some blind shots. I loved the old mature trees you will have to play under around and maybe even over. There is a nice small steam that is used very well. The only exception to the small part is one section on hole #5. There is a rather deep pool under a tree that I managed to put my disc in. Be careful if you put your disc in here it is surprisingly deep. I was soaked after words. Felt good in the 102 degree heat though. There are plenty of well marked "mandos" to maneuver around. Nice mix of distance and accuracy shots required. There were very few people out the day I played but with the temperature of 102 at 6pm that was not a big surprise. The locals I did meet were very friendly and helpful, thanks guys for pointing out hole one to me.
Cons: There is very little I can say as a con. It was a little hard finding hole #1, however the locals helped me out here. The is no Par marked on the holes but usually play everything as a 3 anyway. The heat in August is incredible so be prepared. I did not see the poison ivy others have talked about but I may have just missed it.
Other Thoughts: All is all this is one of the better courses I have played. I suspect that when the temperatures subside there will be many more people enjoying the park. For the most part the disc golf is separate from the rest of the park. Hole #3 is the biggest exception.
This was a very fun course to play with many risk/reward decisions to make. I hope to coma back again the next time I am in the area.

great looking park but be prepared for a hike

1    7/17/2010   7/18/2010
Review By: jermlac
Pros: - Mostly Wooded which provides great shade
- Hills and shallow creeks that really make this a scenic and seculded course, even though its in the city.
- Easy to get to since it's just off I30, and there is a nice gas station across the street for that drink you wish you would have brought.
- Each Tee has a sign with a map and a trash can attached.
- Park was very clean and well kept up with. I heard that Grand Prairie Parks just redid this course and they did a great job with the design and layout for the use of the land.
- Pins have florescent tape on them as well as marker flags to help you find them over the hill you are behind.
Cons: - The park is very hilly and covers a lot of area. If you carry lots of discs, you may disc down for this course to save your back.
- None of the actual holes are labeled a Par yet. Make sure you bring the Par #'s off this site with you for scoring.
- There is poison ivy throughout the wooded area along the shallow creek. If you are allergic, watch where you reach for that disc.
Other Thoughts: A friend of mine recommended this course and a beautiful place to get in a round on a Saturday afternoon. I have to agree. The course navigates well if you look at the Tee signs and has easy to find (red arrow) signs for out of bounds areas. Every time you come to a creek bed (dry or not) you find a nice foot bridge to cross and none of the creeks are more than ankle deep if you have to go in for a disc. I played this course on a 100 degree day and wish I would have brought more than my 2 bottles of water. We made it to 14 (back at the parking lot) and called it quits from there before it got dark.

P.S. If you loose your disc on the roof to the left of hole 2, there is a chain link fence at the back to give you a boost. Don't tell anyone I told you.

Beautiful park with some beauiful holes

1    7/13/2010   7/15/2010
Review By: NDABRUSH
Pros: Clean park with well manicured grass and well defined fairways. Almost totally DG exclusive. Every Tee sign has a course map on it. I had never seen that. Hilly and wooded terrain. about 2/3 of the course is played under wooded canopy or through trees with elevation coming into play on most holes. There are still some young trees that in 3 yrs will possibly push this course into the heavily wooded category. Great use of terrain with hillsides which offer some tricky approach shots. So many unique holes at which I would just stare and finally say "Hell Yes". Heard running water twice which helped it feel extremely secluded for a city park. You throw from below hills with tree lined fairways. You also throw from the top of hills into a pocket of trees with a creek coming into play on some holes. Even hole 13(I think) that is close to Belt Line Rd., the hole is so cool that you must forgive it because this IS where you wanted this pad. Just a great.. great hole. Beautiful flora and a wide variety of trees. I can't stress enough how well the hills and trees were used in the design.
Cons: No trash cans. Need lots of benches for this hilly leg burning hike. A couple of holes next to a road, but you ARE in a city park so no big deal. I can't think of many cons at this point. When I play it again, I might notice more.
Other Thoughts: For a casual rec player like me, this was a scenic and challenging round. Sometimes when I play a course for a second time, I sometimes notice more flaws than the my 1st round. As of now, I love this course. Only time will tell if it will hold up as a 4 as I play more course.