5 Helpful / 0 Not
Fun course, but dangerous and not always usable!
Pros: 1) Nice new discatcher baskets. Freshly painted and visible yellow bands!
2) Practice basket located in a large open area in between Hole #6 and #9. Plenty of room for putts from inside the circle to as far as 50-75'.
3) Nice signage including Par, Pro Par, Distance, a simple yet readable diagram including locations of all OB, significant trees and obstacles. The signs also have a stainless steel tray which can be used to write your scores down at each tee. It is obvious they got some sponsorship money to do these tee signs right and the sponsors are listed on one half of the sign too.
4) Distance varied on this course from 210 up to 490'. There are three really short (210-220) reachable holes. There are four medium lenght holes between 240-270, and then two long holes of 405' and 490'. It gives the players a little of everything. Beginner need to learn approaches, long drives, and tight technical holes too.
5) Decent variety of shot requirements. There are hyzer shots, straight wide open shots, a bomber drive, some short technical throws, there is a nice S curve hole (#6), and some risk/reward on #8. The only thing missing here is an anhyzer shot.
6) Grass tees remain in good shape, but will eventually wear out. The turf on the course is in good condition throughout, except for #2 tee. #4 tee is actually thrown from an asphalt rectangle in the middle of a field.
7) Nice perched basket on Hole #2 with the mounding. You can miss the basket on a putt and suffer a roll away or a tough comeback putt.
Cons: 1) Lacks an anhyzer shot on the course. I like a true variety with every course I play.
2) Grass tees will wear out in no time if this course gets much use.
3) The walk from #7 basket to #8 tee is actually dangerous because some people will be throwing right back at #7 basket to try and get a clear shot to #8 basket. The safety of the placement of #7 and especially #8 is a serious concern because of the proximity and the fact that some discs may be thrown over the ball fields fences. Holes #6-8 will be unplayable in my opinion during any baseball activities. That is the biggest con I can say, because sure, they have a course, but its use is severely limited by the other activities in the park.
4) Telephone pole and support wires (on barrel pull or tug of war area) are in play on #4. It is something you need to avoid but again I prefer natural obstacles.
Other Thoughts: This is a well done course that is fun to play. My biggest concern is the inability to safely play Holes #6 - #8 many times of the year. I do not know how often the baseball fields are used, btu I would assume in a small town, these fields are packed full every weekend for at least 3-4 months of the year. There also would be countless practice times where the fields might be in danger and especially the right fielders! The safety of Hole #6 is countered by how great of a hole it is with a tight s curve through obstacles. Normally I do not like manmade obstacles, and I do agree this remains true here, but it is great hole if noone is at the park.
Be sure to look where #7 basket is when you are standing at #6 basket. Obviously you need to avoid the ball field, but don't throw over into the school or the driveway either. I do not remember if it is marked OB, but it should (the only issue then would be how in play the right field of the ball field would be).
I am unsure if the parking lot/turnaround by #9 basket is OB because it is not marked on the sign, but I would assume it would be OB as most roads are considered to be OB.
Another tip, if you try and throw right at #8 basket, be sure to miss it long (not short) so you can drop right next to the basket. Otherwise you will be throwing from the fence or from the tee again. You may very easily still get a 3 if you miss long, but you are looking at a 4 or 5 if you miss short. I actually dueced it with one disc (15' from basket) and missed short the next time and ended up with a 4.
5 of 5 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.