Lewiston, ID
3 / 340ft.   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Grassy Knoll

1    9/9/2014   9/10/2014
Review By: markmcc
Pros: A nice course that makes good use of a large grassy hillside to add elevation to otherwise simple holes.

This is a typical city park course with lush mowed grass and widely spaced mature trees. No brush, undergrowth, or even low hanging branches. Compared to the Hells Gate Park course the cool grass and shade are welcome.

Good variety of hole lengths from 178 to 439 feet, with the longer holes generally being downhill so still reachable.

Very nice concrete teepads and Innova baskets with solar powered LED lights for night play. Tee signs are basic with hole number, par, and distance but no map. They do include a prominent "Sponsored By" logo at the bottom of the sign which is a great way to acknowledge local businesses that are supporting disc golf.

Large course map with rules is mounted near Hole 1.
Cons: Holes 3, 5, 6, and 7 play somewhat near a residential area. Poor shots could potentially land near those homes so be careful.

I noted several picnic tables in the fairways of holes, so there could be some interference with other park users.

Many of these holes are relatively simple shots across lawn with a tree or two in play. Not a particularly challenging hole in the bunch.
Other Thoughts: Large parking lot with restrooms and water available near Hole 1. This multi-use park includes ball fields, tennis courts and a playground, but only Hole 9 plays near those areas. Might be busy on weekends?

Short and easy

2-4    8/21/2013   2/10/2014
Review By: fuegoador
Pros: Well maintained, solar powered lights on the baskets, concrete pads, good signage. Great course to learn on. For 9 more holes, Hells Gate Park is only a few miles away.
Cons: Shared area so other people can be an issue. Only 9 holes because that's all the room they had to work with.

Round and round

5+    11/30/2013   12/16/2013
Review By: idahooldguy
Pros: - Beautiful park setting.
- Mostly short holes with moderate tree hazards.
- Elevation change on most holes.
- New solar charged lights on every basket (courtesy of the local college Engineering Club).
- Several birdie/ace holes, a low score is very possible here.
- Rarely windy in Lewiston.
Cons: - I wish they had room for more holes.
- Summer softball season can create some interference on holes 8 and 9.
Other Thoughts: The course circles 2 softball fields on a moderately steep hillside. I love playing it over and over (round and round). I wish they had this course when I lived in Lewiston! I can't wait to try a glow round (or 5) with the basket lights. If you're in the Lewiston area, definitely make plans to play. Sunnyside Park in Pullman is a good play, too.

Tons o' fun in a tiny package

1    8/19/2012   8/21/2012
Review By: holotone
Pros: Well placed pins, interesting elevation, concrete tee pads, nice signage, obvious flow, and challenging lines despite the park's wee size. The course designer clearly knew what he was doing.
Cons: Though it wasn't a problem when I was there, I could see how other park users could be a possible issue in a few spots.
Other Thoughts: This is the dream pitch-n-putt we'd all put in our back yards were we ever to find ourselves with a couple extra acres and a spare $10k. Having this little guy nearby would aaaalllmost make living in Lewiston worth it. Almost.

Delghtfully Tiny

1    7/6/2010   8/6/2011
Review By: TheHoaginator1020
Pros: For starters, I would like to mention that I am an avid player, and my Grandparents live in Lewiston. This, brought excitement to my eyes when I found out that when I went to go visit them I would be able to put down an Idaho course on my list. This is besides the point, but that was a positive for me.
This little gym starts off with a down hill shot, when I played it the first time the oak tree that was blocking an obvious hyzer was in the process of dismantling. The first couple of holes are downhill, giving you come confidence for the rest of the game. There are a few challengers, but seeing as how the entire course is in a fairly open area, the accuracy doesn't need to be spot on unless your going for basket.
The concret, baskets, and signs are all brand new, giving the course a fresh feeling.
There was no foot traffic on the fairways when I came through, just people watching baseball from the fields near-by.
There are bathrooms at this course as well, which that was my first encounter of such a thing, so you can imagine how nice that is.
Nicely placed benches, and places to dispose of your trash as well.
Cons: The designer forgot 9 other holes. (this is joke, eh?)
Sometimes when they have a big baseball game, people will try and sit near the basket on the hill on hole #9, which is kind of annoying when you have to explain to them what your trying to do...
The oak tree that was a major obsticle on #1 was cut down, and kind of hindered the difficulty of the hole. I love trees
Accuracy isn't played into this course design as much as a regular player would hope.
There are a couple of holes where you risk running out of bounds on the road, traffic isn't terrible though.

Other Thoughts: To sum it all up, this is a wonderful course; whether you are a beginner, your a pro and stopping through, or its your regular. This course had all that a beginning courses needs, good length, quality equipment, and humane facilities. If your like me, and stuck in Lewiston for 2 weeks, you'll learn and love those short little holes, making each one of them your own personal challenge. I wouldn't necessarily say that it's worth traveling hundreds of miles to see, yet if your in the area make sure you try it out.

Lovely, Hilly, Grassy 9 Hole Pitch & Putt!

1    5/27/2011   5/30/2011
Pros: This is a lovely little park in which to build a course. Sunset's green grass and hilly, wooded terrain makes for a great course setting. It's just a shame that the course designer(s) didn't have about ten times as much park area to work with. With the limited amount of room that they had to work with here, I think they designed a wonderful little course. For us REC and those beginning players, there's a 439' downhill shot through the trees. It's long enough for us. I loved the ACE runs on #5, 6, 8 and 9. Only # 8 is straight forward and simple. The others all have a certain degreee of difficulty.

Because the course is new, everything here is in pristine condition. The baskets are Innova while the signs are in great shape with no grafitti. The pads are concrete and great for this course. There are benches and garbage cans scattered about. The park has a softball/baseball field, a restroom facility, tennis courts, picnic shelter and a playground. The course starts and finishes near the restrooms. This course seems to be the only course for miles around.
Cons: It only has 9 holes and it's basically a pitch and putt.

It's about 400 miles from where I live.
Other Thoughts: If I were rating this course only for myself, I'd give it a "5". It's about the perfect course for beginners or those who don't take themselves real seriously or disc golf dates or Senior rec players or most grandmothers. I happen to fall into one of these fore-mentioned catergories. And I'm not a grandmother!

I've inserted Sunset into my Favorites List. Great job designer(s)! Sweet little course here! Seeing that it's only 9 holes and because of it's limited length and degree of difficulty, I'll reframe from giving it the "5" that I wish to bestow upon it and I'll try to maintain my reputation as a repected reviewer and give it a more predestrian like rating of a "3".

Better than expected

1    7/3/2010   7/6/2010
Review By: sillybizz
This review was updated on 5/2/2011
Pros: I wasn't expecting much coming into playing this course but was soon pleasantly surprised by the way the designers made this course about as good as they could with the room allowed. The course is fairly new and therefor has beautiful concrete tee pads, signs and DISCatcher baskets all in excellent condition. The course plays on all green grass similar to a golf course but just a hair longer. There is some elevation at the course that was used together with trees to create low ceiling holes that are either flat, uphill, downhill or on the side of hill. Hole distance variation is very good with less than 200 foot holes all the way to over 400 feet. Though most of the course is fairly short none of these holes are no brainer birdies; you must hit the line to get the birdie with the exception of hole eight which is the only straight forward hole on the course. There are more than one ways to get to the hole and I found myself throwing two or more tee shots to try different lines and hit the birdie.
Cons: Very few cons, this is a well done nine hole course. On holes four and seven there is a chance of going into the neighbors yard or into a small dead end street. This is not a gold level course, it was built with local players and first timers in mind and delivers big time on that notion but for pro players this will be fairly boring but for the rest of us the fun factor is very high and you will learn to shape your shots in order to meet the different lines that demand here.
Other Thoughts: If you have ever played Tree Top DGC at Sorosis Park in The Dalles, Oregon than this course will remind you of that course but with more elevation and slightly shorter holes. This park also offers tennis courts, basketball courts and picnic tables large enough to have a birthday party here. Like I said the fun factor here is excellent and this is a nicely done course and one of the better nine hole courses I have played out of 100+ courses.

A Nice, Albeit Typical 9 Hole Course in a Multi-use Park

5+    11/20/2009   11/22/2009
Review By: El cycib
Pros: -Elevation:
Holes 1, 2, 5, & 6 are downhill (grades -4.4 to -8.5%);
Holes 4 & 7 are uphill (grades 12.2 and 6.1%, respectively); with 3, 8, & 9 being relatively flat
-Cement Tee Pads
-Brand New Baskets (DISCatcher, I believe)
-Fairways are mostly open, but available trees are well utilized, adding some challenge
-Lost discs not an issue
-Park is well maintained; includes bathrooms and a sheltered picnic area
Cons: -Lack of difficulty:
Course is short and fairly open, thus birdies are not too rewarding, with the possible exception for Hole #7 (even my very first ace, which was on Hole #8 of this course, lacked luster).
Hole #2 is the only hole over 400', but even then, it has a 26' descent from tee to pin.
-Baskets #6 & 7 are placed near culdesacs where people often park or sit in their cars, which can make playing these holes rather unnerving.
-No signage (however, baskets are numbered, and with the cement tee pads and only 9 holes, navigation was quite intuitive)
Other Thoughts: There are only 2 other courses (Sunnyside in Pullman and University of Idaho in Moscow) within a 70 mi. radius, which makes this course a great addition.

Sunset Park is a multi-use park which includes baseball, basketball, tennis, a playground, and dog walking. The course just opened in October 2009, and has been practically empty on each of my visits; however, I can imagine it getting busy in the Spring/Summer with the park's wide array of uses.

There are additional tee pads next to Holes #1, 4, & 7; but I'm not sure if they are alternate tees for those holes, or if they are intended for playing the course in reverse direction.

Overall, it's a great beginner course, good for a quick round (or multiple rounds), and also provides a great view of the surrounding hills of Lewiston.