Stayton, OR
4 / 475ft.   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Love this course

5+    4/20/2014   6/19/2014
Review By: mbressler13
Pros: -Great tee pads
-Trash receptacles ever few holes
-Mach 2 or 3 baskets catch well
-Tee signs are just fine.
-BEAUTIFUL area, with the Santiam River really near.
-Multiple pin locations on most holes.
Cons: -Can get overgrown in early spring
-No glass rule...which isnt a con at all really I just like bottles of beer.
-Only one restroom on course.
-A few of the baskets were a little bent up. May have already been fixed though.
Other Thoughts: I love this course. One of my person favorites. It is currently CLOSED for the summer because it is at a Deaf/Hard of Hearing Summer Camp. Played in a B tier tournament in April and fell in love with the area. Love all the ferns and trees. Everything is so alive in that area. No real complains about this course. Great mixtures of dogleg left and right. Technical and a few longer holes as well. During the camp "off season" there are cabins available for $40 a night.

Sorry, Course Didn't Wow Me!

1    5/27/2014   6/1/2014
Pros: Camp Taloli is a camp for hearing impaired youth. The disc golf is set in an area away from the camp and seems to be pretty much disc golf exclusive. They ask for a $5 donation and there is a small red donation box at the start. A sign at the front gate entrance to the camp told that "Disc Golf Is Open."
This is a flat, heavily wooded course. There are new concrete tee pads. The signs are laminated giving the hole #, par and distance. Each hole has two basket positions but there is no way of telling which position the basket is current in. I often had to walk ahead and locate the basket. Many of the holes have deep roughs/hidden baskets and tight technical lines to the basket.
Nothing about this course really impressed me until I got to # 14 and found the basket sunken and hidden in a small gully. It was the first time today that I had thought to myself, "Now, that's a clever place or what a pretty hole." And I'm usual get impressed easily on disc golf courses.
Cons: Like cefire, I found myself thinking that many of the holes were similar, straight, tight, guard tree at the end, etc.
# 17 basket is currently in a really treacherous position with nasty water kind of hiding on the left side.
No wow factor for me.
Other Thoughts: The day I played, there was some kind of festival going on called "Brigadoon." There were probably 100 cars parked in the parking area. As I was driving through the camp part looking for the course, off in the distance, I saw two blonde people in camp barbecuing. I said to myself, "Self, they don't have no shirts on!" So I backed up for a closer inspection. Person # 1 was a big blonde guy but person # 2 was a indeed a blonde lady. Unfortunately she was a overweight 50 year old lady who looked like she had two stacks of pancakes on her chest. Bitterly Disappointed!

And as I was driving out, I asked someone, what this Brigadoon is all about??? Pirates! These folks are really into Pirates.

Great Course

5+    3/22/2014   3/29/2014
Review By: discman29
Pros: -Great Variety of shots
-Nice new teepads
-Beautiful area
-Great Layout
-Excellent course flow
-Seemingly hardly used
Cons: -Scary playing alone, an extra set of eyes can be really useful
-Disc Eater course
-$5 suggested donation
-A couple damaged/bent baskets
-No elevation changes, which some people really enjoy but I dont mind
Other Thoughts: This is such a nice course especially now that they have all their teepads installed!! The design is great, flow is great, really dont have many bad things to say! This is probably my favorite local course ive played since moving here in mid february.

Good Price?

2-4    6/1/2013   6/2/2013
Review By: beauzen
Pros: The course is in a nice setting of some large growth timber.
Cons: The tee signs need to be updated to reflect the new basket locations and distances.
Other Thoughts: The idea of "pay to play" is not new to me; however, when I am paying some amount of money to play, I expect the following items to be part of the experience:
#1 - Interesting layout and/or challenging holes, including elevation changes;
#2 - Good amenities (benches, concrete tee pads, good signage);
#3 - Fewer and/or more respectful players;
#4 - Something unique about the situation.
On a scale of 1 to 10 on each of these (10 being good), here is how this course would rate:
#1 - 4; The course is relatively flat and not too exciting; The fairways are reasonably well-defined, but keep your eye on your disc if you go off your line.
#2 - 3; The tee pads need the most work (most appear to be formed, ready for concrete, but not poured; there are a few benches (sort of); the signs need to be updated.
#3 - 9; I practically had the course to myself on a beautiful sunny day! I could play at my own pace and in peace.
#4 - 4; The landscape is quite nice with the large trees and ferns.

Camp Taloali, Getting Better All the Time

5+    5/15/2011   5/22/2011
Review By: Flies to the Left
Pros: Set in the trees on the north bank of the Santiam River. The course is easily accessible from state highway 22, just a couple miles down the highway from Stayton and 15 miles from Interstate 5.

The fairways are well defined and obstacles like stumps have been removed. Like any wooded course, the bushes and trees add to the difficulty of the course. Those that have poor control of where their discs end up should be warned.

The course has numerous alternate basket locations that have been added in the last year. These new basket locations have removed the easiness of the course. There are now two par four holes.

The course signage is good. The course keeps changing and the signs are updated as they happen. There is an excellent course map available here on the internet, but it doesn't have the new alternate basket locations on it yet. The baskets are excellent quality, DGA Mach 5's. The course has many trash cans on the course.

One of the best things about this course is the lack of people. The course is dedicated to disc golf. No dog walkers or pedestrians to get in the way.

Cons: There are very few cons for this course. The main gripe is the tee pads. Dirt/natural tee pads are in need of work. Wood chips have been added to some. I'm sure this is due to the course is still evolving and concrete always goes in last.

The lack of real water hazards the course. It is right next to a river and there are a couple of sloughs on the property. I have to give credit to hole #16 where you do throw over a slough and walk across a bridge, but only a faulty throw would cause the water to come into play. The course needs a water hazard right behind a basket to add to the difficulty without raising the par.
Other Thoughts: I play this course about once a month and have enjoyed the improvements that have been made. It seems like every month something is getting better. I look forward to the day when every hole has multiple concrete tee pads.

2nd Annual Camp Taloali Deaf Youth Camp Fundraiser @ Jerry Miller DGC

1    5/15/2011   5/16/2011
Review By: johnbeastjohnston
Pros: Tournament layout was epic! Many cool holes, some mando and O.B. holes also. Safari holes in the regular 18 test your aim.
Cons: Weather did not cooperate. Snap, next time get a holyman to bless us with good weather.
Other Thoughts: The cabins and the fire on site make this the best place for a 2 day tournament in the Salem area.

Quickly improving to area's best

5+    10/15/2010   10/16/2010
Review By: snap7times
This review was updated on 4/22/2011
Pros: Fairways are mowed often, underbrush improving with time. This is something you will not find at forest courses I guarantee you this. The beauty of this course is unmatched.
Course is getting worked on, alt pins are being added, tee pads being added.
Works on your accuracy, very little room to let it all out.
UPDATE: 10 alt pins added to the course have really changed the perspective of this course and 8 more alt pins are getting put in the next year. The added alt pins really make you use your whole bag now.
UPDATE: 15 alt pins in now, the 5 added really improve the ending big time...
Cons: Natural tee pads, rocky, wood chip has been added which is a pro
Other Thoughts: Fun beautiful wooded course with an improving variety of shots. I look forward to more alt pins being added and pro teepads complimenting the current ones. Opposite of Cascade and Woodmansee. This requires more control than the other courses in the area.
drop a few dollars in the box! this is a fast improving course

Perfect for Beginners

1    9/4/2010   9/10/2010
Review By: cefire
Pros: The disc golf course at Camp Taloali consists mainly of short putter and midrange holes which have been cut out of forest underbrush. The holes themselves look very finished for such a young course and the fairways are clear of brush right down to the grass. Most are straightforward and are likely designed for the beginner disc golfers and kids who utilize the camp. That said, it is a very well designed course for beginners, although the thickness of the rough in some places could make for a long first round or two.

Although not very challenging, there are quite a few fun holes and opportunities to practice basic hyzer and turnover midrange shots off the tee. Ace runs abound so get ready to hear some metal off the tee!

Navigation - It is very easy to find your way around this course because of the signage and arrows which are spray painted on the trees. In our first time through, we never lost the trail over 18 holes. From the tee, most holes are straightforward with one or two where sending a spotter ahead would be advised.
Cons: On a couple of the holes out here, I found myself thinking 'Didn't we already play this one?' There are many holes which are dead straight, similar length, and only vary by the location of a guard tree or something equally minimal. I threw a KC Aviar on 12 or more of the tee shots with a few drivers mixed in for the couple holes with harder left or right fades.
Other Thoughts: The staff here was very friendly, several cars driving past waved hi as we were getting ready to play our round and someone stopped by just to make sure we knew which direction to head. They were also very responsive to our email when we were inquiring whether the course was indeed open for the weekend.

Open/Closed: On the front gate, there is a sign which indicates whether the disc golf course is open for outside play or if there is a camp in session - course is not playable.

TIPS - Make sure to drop a dollar or two into the small yellow collection box on the way to the first tee. It's a small price to pay to keep courses open for fellow golfers!

Buzzz Practice

5+    4/2/2011   1/3/2010
Review By: The Bird Man
This review was updated on 4/2/2011
Pros: This is great place for hearing impaired youth. For the purpose of a camp activity and getting kids involved, this course rocks. There were nice signs and spray painted arrows letting people know where the next tee was. The caretaker has done a nice job of clearing the fairways. It has a lot of ace runs, and I find that fun, once in awhile. +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
This place has really improved over time. The course "Pro" has really put a lot of work into making this course fun for disc golfers. With alternate baskets he has added over 1,000 feet. This area of Oregon is densely wooded, but the course is clear and well maintained (just keep it in the cleared fairways).
Cons: Advanced to pro players will find that it is a fun course to work on the mid-range game. There is no point in bringing all your discs, it can easily be done with five. If not your mid and a putter. I do think that if they have
tournaments out there, they should have some alternates set up. There are definitely some holes that would have to be lengthened.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
BAM, they did all that!... I think the caretaker was listening. bring your full bag! The only con during my round was the inconsistent weather. We had rain, sun, and hail during our short 18 hole round. That's Oregon.
Other Thoughts: Like I said in the beginning, It is a fun place for the kids. They won't have to throw a whole lot, and can have fun. Experienced golfers will wish for more. The course could be a lot more challenging. For instance I am an OK advanced player and shot a -4 the first round and -8 the second time around. All in all, it was scenic and fun with all the ace runs.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
This is a course where a seasoned golfer could come out and shoot -10 and the next day shoot a +5. You really need to hit your lines to shoot well. It's not a forgiving course, but it's very playable. I had some really cool birdies, a few bogies and my third ACE....Make the drive, it's worth the trip.