Modesto, CA
East La Loma Park Share
Uploaded By: BENFTS Hole #18 (Taken 1/2012)
3 / 317ft.   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

1 2 Next >
 Creeky Fun and a Split Personality

1    3/20/2010   3/21/2010
Review By: Magiken
Pros:
• Reasonably easy to locate although there are multiple entrances
• A decent park with a few additional activities (e.g. basketball, tennis, bike/walking paths (dog friendly), picnic areas, etc….) and facilities (e.g. restrooms, water fountains, etc…)
• Warm-up basket by the tennis court
• The creeks are in play and a factor
• Tee pads are in great shape
• Tee signs are in good shape, although #3 is missing
• The layout is reasonably easy to follow except for a couple holes. There is a map online and at the course near the #1 'Tennis Court' hole (this is how I will be referring to the 9 holes near the tennis courts, which I will abbreviate as TC9), although I don't get what they're doing with the numbering on these maps.
Cons:
• Very crowded on the TC9. Keep your head up and be prepared to yell "Fore" yourself.
• The people paths are in play causing delays
• House fencing is a bit close on a couple holes
• The creeks are in play and a factor (Yes, I listed it twice. I loved it. My girlfriend…not so much.)
• They don't mark the basket locations on the tee signs so you'll have take some educated guesses, which is usually not an issue, but there were a couple holes where we or a neighboring group threw at the wrong basket.
• The crowd here is a mixed bag. There were friendly folks on the main 18, but the groups on the TC9 had a little too much test-ass-torone. Lots of braggadocios, trash talking going on there. This doesn't bug me that much but the GF wasn't feeling it.
Tips
• The #9 TC hole is near the roadway behind the tennis courts. It's a slight jaunt from the finish on #8.
• If you want to start on #1 for the larger 18 hole course, park at the small lot at the intersection of Scenic Drive and Coffee Road. #1 is right at the start of the walkway leading into the park.

Random Thoughts:
I feel like I should almost write two reviews here because there is a pretty dramatic difference between playing the TC9 and the other (Main? Original? I'll go with Main.) 18. We started on the TC9 and it was SUPER crowded and since 8 of these holes are quite short 100-200 ft and very close to each other, it's not the most comfortable round, although I'd probably recommend starting there as it's a good warm-up for the Main 18. I feel like the TC9 is like the executive course. If you want to ring up an ace, I could imagine it not taking long out here. In any event, once you're done there and you walk into the park, the first tee you'll come to is #12. And here's where it gets weird. I counted probably at least 50 people playing the TC 9. On the Main 18, I think I saw 10 people. I have no idea why this was the case or if this is normal, but we were happy to see a clear course ahead…except for the other park goers, of course, but this wasn't too big a deal really. Overall, this 18 is an out and back style course that criss-crosses the creeks running through it, although you only throw over the creeks on a few holes. Most of the holes have you throwing pretty straight at the baskets with a few trees thrown in to demand a bit of accuracy. Where I think this course shines are with the holes that bring the creek into play (#1, #2, #3, #16 ad #18). Technically, #9 throws over a creek, but it was dry (and shallow) when we were there. #1, #3, and #18 don't have you throw over the creek but the 'fairway' runs right next to it, sooo you better keep your shots straight or take them out towards safety. But the real sphincter-tighteners are #2 and #18. #2 is a slight right to left across the creek at 240 feet with no real great path to the basket, but let's get real; your objective is to get it over the creek without hitting a tree or bending your shot into the water. I'm happy to say I made it and had a reasonable shot at birdie. The group in front of us I'm pretty sure put every disc in the creek, but managed to keep them all dry. The real fun, though, is at #16. It's shorter at 180 feet but the hole you need to get your disc through on the near and far side of the creek is quite small. Take a breath and let fly. I threw one of the better shots of my short discing career and ended up 10 feet from the basket, which drew cheers from the crowd. And then I promptly bounced the birdie shot of the top of basket, which drew a small "mudderhumper!" from me. But truthfully, I was just happy to be across.

Bottom Line: While this course overall is a bit schizophrenic in atmosphere and challenge, it's in good shape and does have a couple memorable holes. And 27 holes overall is nothing to sneeze at. I can't say I'd recommend going a long ways out of your way, but if you're close or in the neighborhood, do check it out.

My homies course!

5+    5/7/2009   5/21/2009
Review By: Big Bob
Pros: This was my home course for several years.
Lots of hole 27!
Two creek crossings, donate to the water Gods!
Back 18 Wicked!
Front nine mostly mid range.
Multiple pin settings for all holes.
Find a Local and play championship pads.
Weeklys every Sunday at 9am.
Cons: Front nine heavy traffic.
Keep the beers down, big fine 400+ if caught!
Summer play early or drink a lot of H2O hits 100 daily!
Other Thoughts: Home of the opening Central Valley Series every winter in November!
If there find the man Capt. Sappenfield
(Josh) he's the legend! and only 27!

Good warm up...

1    3/20/2009   4/6/2009
Review By: mprii
Pros: The front 9 were to good to warm up on. We got alittle lost on the back. The locals are super nice(at least the one we spoke to).
Cons: Squirle hole lots of them whatch you step. Some tee pads on the back would have been nice but other than that nothing.
Other Thoughts: Had a great time we played the frist 8 twice and had fun.

Good 18+

2-4    2/16/2009   2/21/2009
Review By: J.Kasm
Pros: The first 9 baskets are close together and good for warming up for the next 9 baskets. There are a lot of different shots in this course. I first played this course last year, when the added baskets that teed-off over the river where still there. This course is really good for beginners and there were a lot of experienced players who offered help and direction with my game. The course was pretty empty during the late morning, but was filled with a lot of easy-moving traffic in the evening. Towards dusk, I actually played the top 9 three times in a row. Some baskets offered hyzer/ turn-over shots. Also a few lengthy straight aways.
Cons: There used to be an additional 9 baskets added to the already 18 baskets. These additional baskets did offer great shots that had to be tee-offed over the river, but they don't exist anymore due to construction. The reason I'm mentioning this is because there are still a few baskets floating around and added a bit of confusion due to no tee-pads or markers. Some of the baskets on the back 9 were hard to find due to poor marking.
Other Thoughts: I had a good time at this course, but feel that it needs a little more work. The city needs to put more effort into keeping this dg course up. Sorry, I didn't get any pictures of the course--even though I did have my camera with me.

1    1/10/2009   1/10/2009
Review By: BENFTS
Pros: there are 18 fun holes to play here. length and accuracy comes into play on most of the tee shots. there are several holes that are very reachable with a midrange off the tee for intermediate or advanced players. it was a great challenge for me playing this course LHBH, but also fun.
Cons: the front 9 holes were very pitch and catch, most under 220'. the first hole "18" was the exception. for the first 13 holes we all right friendly and had little or no line for a lefty straight shot making things very different for lefty players, a big righty advantage.
Other Thoughts: if the first 9 holes on the 27 hole course were cut down to 5 and making some layout adjustments it would be greatly improved. would love to see teepads on the back 9 holes like the front 18.

Pros and Cons

1    12/29/2008   1/7/2009
Review By: ragajones
Pros: Two for the price of one! The front nine was a typical short, busy, bustling 9-hole, neighborhood course.
Good for beginners who might be looking for people to team up with or ask questions. The back 18 was much less busy, longer, out of the way and with more obstacles and interesting shots.
Cons: The front nine had two hole #2s, signage hole numbers were unreadable on most holes and a couple of extra holes at the end of the round I think (11 holes? I don't get it)
I wouldn't mind having some extra holes, just give some warning so we know whats going on. We had to follow some guys to keep up and try to not get lost. The back 18 starts great and then gets really confusing when the teeboxes disappear after the first half or so. Prepare to get lost and lose track of accurate scoring and direction.
Other Thoughts: I was in from AZ and would really like this course more I think if it were my neighborhood course and I got to play it frequently. It was green, nice, had a cool local's scene and everybody was having fun.
The only drawback were that the layout was confusing for a couple of different reasons but overall this course is a real asset to the local people in the Modesto area. There are only a few minor changes that could make this course way better (a complete set of tees, less confusing redundancy on the front nine, Clearer signage and this course would be a course worth driving to visit. The greenery along the greenbelt was really pleasant too.

1 2 Next >