St. Paul, MN

< Prev 1 2 3
A fun time

5+    7/1/2016   8/19/2016
Review By: Bitter Mouse
Pros: Nice selection of different holes, solid elevation changes, tight woods holes, distance holes and so on. You will test your bag and shots.
Cons: The course flow is not fabulous, with a fair amount of walking between some holes.

2-4    6/30/2016   7/1/2016
Review By: redvinesfrolf
Pros: -Baskets and tee pads all very serviceable, although tee pads aren't standardized in size.
-Tee signs are very helpful, especially in locating the next hole if you're forward-thinking like that.
-Great elevate used in both directions. 19 is absolutely torturous (uphill 60+ feet) while 18 and 22 use downhill terrain to open up cool views. The rest of the course uses the subtler topography very well.
-From a purely disc golf standpoint, I think this is one of the best courses in Minnesota. Tons of variety and design interest and you will need many different shots to score well. If the aesthetics could catch up to the course itself, Kaposia would be five stars easily.
-Often not very crowded
Cons: -Signage doesn't do enough to keep you on track without prior knowledge. Tee and basket signs are fine until 17 (whose basket is labeled 16, I believe) and gets crazier from there. Scorecards are a necessity, but aren't always available.
-Benches and trash cans could use an upgrade
-Navigation is a mess for now. My first round here, I played 17, ventured a ways down the correct path towards 18, but didn't go far enough and assumed it was for hikers or something since no signs pointed me down there. I played 25/26 like 18/19 before finding out about the correct layout. I feel like I was not the first person to make this mistake.
-Some spots are prone to flooding. Each time I've been here (after no rain) the area in front of 4's tee, the path between 11 and 12, and the path to 26 were either underwater or very soggy. Small price to pay, but something to keep in mind.
Other Thoughts: Kaposia is so close to being an elite course. It feels like it just needs a little more money to clean up some of the bad spots. New benches, trash cans, and signage (along with a small reroute) would do wonders. Personally I think it would make sense to send players down to 18 as the first hole and then route it as such: 18-24, 1-17, 25-26. That way the course would flow better, since you couldn't miss the back 8, and 25-26 wouldn't feel like a slapped-together addendum separate from the rest of the course. Anyways, Kaposia is still a must-play in the Twin Cities, especially for top-level disc golfers.

Guy in the Shack

5+    10/19/2015   10/23/2015
Review By: kingscoach
Pros: Challenging summer layout, technically demanding.with very few gimme birdies.
Back holes feature extreme elevation change
Old trees in an old park give this course a sense of history
Local backlash against pay to play keeps the waits way down
Cons:
-Number one complaint is finding your way around. Particularly on the backside. Tee signs aren't numbered because the layout changes for the winter. Worn trails often lead in the wrong direction and it's possible to play 19 holes and not realize you've missed the back eight.

-Pay to Play hours are inconsistent, sometimes the shack isn't open when you expect it, and vice versa.

Honor box new this year doesn't give you a way to identify that it's your money in the box, no proof of purchase

-Very little running water on the course. Only drinking fountain is near the parking lot and doesn't work too well.
Other Thoughts: This is my spiel when golfers are playing KP for the first time.
1. Holes 4-8 all run paralell to one another so after holing out you have to turn back and veer right to find the next tee. The trek from five to six is particularly long.
2. Same deal between 10-11 and 14-15 but turn back and veer left.
3. After 17, backtrack to the right and descend the trail into the ravine for hole 18 OR continue forward to 26 to avoid the back nasty, perilous holes AKA best eight holes on the course.

18-26 often go unplayed and can turn a trip to Kaposia into a soul crushing catastrophe. But whipping through them at par feels like a 6 or 7 down. 19 and 20 have a combined 110 feet of elevation change straight up, and with 18 holes under your belt just getting to the top of the hill feels like a win.
Last two holes are really out of the way require a lot of up and down backtracking.
Even though I''ve been working in the shack all summer I tried to keep this objective. Hope you find it helpful if you're playing KP for the first time. As always,
May the course be with you

Must play when you visit St. Paul.

1    7/1/2014   7/30/2014
Review By: Barefooter
Pros: Clean well kept coarse.
Fun golf with several memorable holes.
All the things that have been said before.
Cons: $5 bucks a day is a touch high.
No honor box.
Summer camp can get in the way on 18.
Other Thoughts: This the 4th coarse played by my wife and I on our summer vacation. It was exactly what we expected from the reviews here. It is only 15 minutes from our Aunts house, I imagine we will play it again. Quality coarse.

So Classic That Classic Didn't Recognize Itself

1    6/14/2014   7/2/2014
Review By: TalbotTrojan
Pros: This course feels like a classic from the moment you arrive. Then it throws things for a loop before bringing you back to classic. By classic I mean that there are some park courses out there that just feel like classic disc golf. Like this is what disc golf was for a long time, in a nice park making good use of the land and allowing for people to have a good time chucking the disc around. But this particular course, while it does fit that mold, has moments where you just go what in the amazing world was that? The variety of holes is rather amazing in that regard as well. There is a good challenge to most holes, even some of the easier ones. The whole course feels well maintained. There are some amazing holes on this course that feel like some of the best holes you may have ever played. Every holes has some kind of challenge. There is a pro shop at the start of the course with snacks and what not. Tee signs do exist.
Cons: There are a couple of layout issues with this course which include long walks between a few holes and some serious problems on a few holes that may be threatened by erosion at some point in the near future. There are also holes that play right through high traffic areas like paths through the park. There are some holes that are clearly filler holes and some very short holes that didn't really need to be there. There will be a couple of places where one will want to have a map to know what is next and where to walk. The baskets feel old, and probably are old. You do now have to pay to play this course, and while it is not obvious yet at all times, the money appears to be going back into the course. The information on tee signs is not always helpful or accurate. It was noisy at times being right next to a free way. The crowds as this place can be big and slow.
Other Thoughts: The classic feel of this course, the strong local community around this course and the unique challenge that is this course help make this course an excellent rated course. There are plenty of issues with this course, but it appears as though this is being worked one slowly over time. Some of the longer holes or more wooded holes will not be fun at all for lower skill level players. I have heard rumors that this course can become a championship 18 hole course and with some of the holes as they are already it is close to it. I am curious to see the 18 hole layout. I wish I had heard more about the history of this course and all of the transitions that this course has been through.

No Hole Numbers

5+    6/14/2014   7/1/2014
Review By: J Blaze
This review was updated on 6/18/2015
Pros: Disclaimer: THIS REVIEW IS HELPFUL FOR PEOPLE NEW TO THE COURSE. I love this course and have played it at least 40 times. It offers everything a disc golfer would love, from long rolling hills to holes along a creek to tight squeezes through the woods... and is big enough that you can usually enjoy a round, somewhat uninterrupted. However, the last time I played there, we were often interrupted by disc golfers who had never been there before, and were looking for the next tee pad. It seems the mgmt at Kaposia is using the money to buy nice signs, but totally forgot to mark what hole is what, with the signs. I was frustrated with how nice the signs were, without having the most vital piece of information. Truth be told, I was more of a course tour guide that day, then a disc golfer. However, this course still easily deserves a 4.0 rating and is a can't miss course if in the St. Paul area.
Cons: -tee signs with no hole number
-$5 to play, with no beverages or food for sale!?
Other Thoughts: Kaposia is legendary and worth the play, no matter what the skill level. They just need some tee signs that are interchangeable!

Please, Print a map

1    5/20/2013   5/22/2013
Review By: rhettro
Pros: - Very diverse holes, a great mix of everything a player could want to experience.
- large course, not a lot of interference from other golfers.
- trashcans and benches at most holes.
- some of the most interesting holes I have played thus far
-concrete tees for both pro and am
Cons: - tee signs? forget about it.
- baskets are very hard to see, with little marking and most of the time you have to walk a ways to even see where the pin is from the tee.
- dangerous walk ways, especially after a rain

Other Thoughts: I had heard a lot of great things about this course and I had a great, some what frustrating experience. There are no tee signs, no indicators for the next tee, and the baskets are virtually unpainted leaving them in their original hard to see metallic finish.

We spent more time trying to find the next tee then we did golfing, luckily I had the map on my phone but due to the change in basket locations we still had trouble navigating the course. I wont count this against the course although, I would suggest to try to play with someone who has previously navigated it or bring a map for sure.

Besides the navigation I have to say this is the most surprising course I Have played thus far. You could not ask for more variety in hole length, elevation, and hazard. There are many heavily wooded holes and a few that shoot around smaller ponds/marsh. Many of the holes are quite long and huge uphill shots, bring something to drink, it had me pretty tuckered out by the end.

Solid experience

1    5/4/2013   5/6/2013
Review By: forehandfranz
This review was updated on 12/30/2013
Pros: Kaposia seems to be a stand-alone course that's a mix of park setting on grassy rolling hills and woodland that sets partially on the edge of steep canyon cut. The first and last holes are the most civilized, on those grassy rolling hills and trees. Things are tougher when you pop into the woods. You will be punished (fairly) by bad shots, as there's some thick little trees lining those fairways. They were thick after the spring thaw - before the foliage had grown in! (This could be considered a con, but I have not played it in the summer).
The best feature here is the variety of shots offered, and over 26 holes will see if you have any weaknesses in your game. Has uphill, downhill, left, right and everything in between.
One memorable hole (#20) starts with a slight hyzer straight uphill in a narrow slot between trees. You must land in this slot to line up for a narrow opening that goes into a grassy field where the pin is hidden over a grassy hump in said field. A gnarly tough hole!
Cons: Signage is lacking. There were distances marked on posts, though. If you don't have a map, you will have a rough outing. If you DO have a map, you may still have some confusion like I did- Especially holes 20,21,22. Though 20 is a great hole, you have to practically walk the whole thing (uphill) to see where the objectives are. Hole 21 has moved the pin Past the hockey rink, and (in my opinion) is not a very good pin placement at all. Hole 22 has changed and the tee pad is pointing in the wrong direction and then you are shooting at a blind pin, which adds to the confusion. This three hole section deflated my sails a bit with way too much walking and steam coming from my ears.

There is a lot of walking between holes, but most of it is bearable. The walk between 25 & 26 is kinda ridiculous and though 26 is a good hole, I don't think it's worth it (the group I was with skipped it altogether). Finally hole 26 is a nice, short aceable shot, but right behind it is the parking lot - to go for the ace makes this is a safety hazard to people who can't see it coming. In short, I would just take out those last two holes altogether, as fun as they are....
Other Thoughts: I played this course immediately after they had played the MN Amateur Championships. Someone later informed me that I had played some long pins that are never in that position normally (one which was part of the area that frustrated me so much). So, all considered, I still would keep my rating the same (I actually did not downgrade the course due to those foibles). But I am eager to play this course again!

Challenging, Conditions Could Be Better

5+    8/27/2012   12/18/2012
Review By: ajkuck
This review was updated on 8/26/2015
Pros: The course is very challenging and offers the most variety of holes in the Twin Cities area I believe. There are a variety of holes both in the open and in the woods. The holes also offer a variety of lines for all types of players. It's a great course to work on every shot from backhand hyzers, anhyzers, tomahawks, and forehands. The course also offers several holes with elevation change, including downhill shots on Holes 9 and 22 and uphill shots on 19, 23, and 24. There is also a creek on Hole 18, but the water plays casual. There are also several protected pin locations and greens with roll away potential, including 1, 17, and 19. Overall, I would say that the majority of the holes are set in the woods, but there are wide gaps and tunnels to hit. However, it is crucial to have accurate drives on the holes because the rough/brush at Kaposia can be quite thick, hard to get out of, and is not very forgiving. If you can steer clear of the rough and stay in the fairway, the course plays much easier.
Cons: The course needs new baskets, considering the caliber/potential of this course...so many spit-outs. I hear of a lot of vandalism on this course and it is definitely noticeable on some holes with chipped up tee pads, broken benches, broken glass, and broken signs. There are also some sketchy walkways in the woods and areas of erosion that could be and should be vastly improved for safety. Some of the holes in the woods also have a significant amount of brush and fallen trees that need to be cleared out. Some of it had been cleared out the last time I was there, but much more needs to be done. Considering that this course is pay to play and has been for a while, it should be in a lot better condition than it is. Some wood chips around the baskets would also help significantly in cutting down on the dust and roll-aways.
Other Thoughts: The challenging aspects of this course, especially the tight fairways in the woods, thick brush off the fairways, and the pins with roll away potential, could compete with BRP once the quality improves. Lengthwise, this course is quite comparable to The Valley, but maintenance wise, it's not even close. Once these improvement are made, I would gladly rate this course a higher score.

Get your woods shots on!

1    10/27/2012   10/30/2012
Review By: Monkeypaws
This review was updated on 11/7/2012
Pros: •Great big concrete tee pads, the best I've seen in my limited career.
•Many fantastic narrow wooded fairways. If you can't throw straight, which I often can not, this is a challenge, but a fun one.
•Par seemed legitimate to me.
•Beautiful setting on the high bluffs above the Mississippi River, an odd constant that runs through all the courses I've played, from St, Cloud to LaCrosse.
•The pay wagon had been removed for the season, so we played for free.
•24 holes = bonus golf.
Cons: •Without a map, this place would be damn near impossible to navigate. There is a series of holes in the first nine, where you back track from pin to tee about 5 times, and play basically the same hole over and over, as opposed to going back and forth,
•Signage is gone on most holes, adding to the confusion.
•Had I payed, given the above, I'd have felt slightly cheated. The fees they collect should be reflected in the maintenance of the course.
Other Thoughts: Played on a cool, crisp, sunny autumn morning, this place was brilliant. I have relatives that live near the freeway entrance nearby, and never realized until I searched that this park was here.

Highly recommended, but get the map - you need it.

< Prev 1 2 3