St. Paul (South St. Paul), MN

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Great challenging course

2-4    6/11/2013   3/11/2014
Review By: BirdieMachine
Pros: Nice elevation changes. Very challenging and must play well to score well. Errant shots are punished on most holes. Big tee pads in great shape. This course has everything to challenge a player to the max!
Cons: Some vandalism and upkeep could be better. I don't mind this as it doesn't effect my experience.
5 Bucks to play, it's totally worth it!
Other Thoughts: A must play in the Twin Cities area along with Blue Ribbon Pines. My two favorite courses played out of 33 so it gets 5 stars!

5+    11/15/2013   12/29/2013
Review By: joh3
Pros: Very challenging. Mix of open and wooded holes with out of bounds on lots of holes.
Cons: Only one tee per hole. The last few holes actually take away from the courses appeal because they are open and uninspired.

shouldn't be a pay to play

1    7/12/2013   7/13/2013
Review By: DjKilliQuik
Pros: Tough course. Lots of elevation changes and blind holes. A little bit of everything.
Cons: The only reason I didn't give it a 5 is because of the up keep of the course. It was pretty poorly taken care of for a pay to play course.

Nice layout

1    6/17/2013   6/18/2013
Review By: BeauRoch
Pros: Interesting holes in a beautiful park.
Cons: Needs better signage and better maps.
A couple of holes had poorly placed baskets.
Other Thoughts: For a pay to play course I expect a little better. IT is a tight course and some blind holes that were a bit tough to navigate since it was my first trip through it.

Has everything you need in the summer

5+    9/8/2012   5/29/2013
Review By: rarintal
Pros: during the summer the course is amazing, it has every type of shot you could imagine. and it might be minneapolis' oldest course. very well groomed, shop on site (during summer)
Cons: pay to play (summer), during winter 9 holes are closed off because of hazard of traveling up and down ravines. in snow or slick mud
Other Thoughts: great course

Please, Print a map

1    5/20/2013   5/22/2013
Review By: rhettro
Pros: - Very diverse holes, a great mix of everything a player could want to experience.
- large course, not a lot of interference from other golfers.
- trashcans and benches at most holes.
- some of the most interesting holes I have played thus far
-concrete tees for both pro and am
Cons: - tee signs? forget about it.
- baskets are very hard to see, with little marking and most of the time you have to walk a ways to even see where the pin is from the tee.
- dangerous walk ways, especially after a rain

Other Thoughts: I had heard a lot of great things about this course and I had a great, some what frustrating experience. There are no tee signs, no indicators for the next tee, and the baskets are virtually unpainted leaving them in their original hard to see metallic finish.

We spent more time trying to find the next tee then we did golfing, luckily I had the map on my phone but due to the change in basket locations we still had trouble navigating the course. I wont count this against the course although, I would suggest to try to play with someone who has previously navigated it or bring a map for sure.

Besides the navigation I have to say this is the most surprising course I Have played thus far. You could not ask for more variety in hole length, elevation, and hazard. There are many heavily wooded holes and a few that shoot around smaller ponds/marsh. Many of the holes are quite long and huge uphill shots, bring something to drink, it had me pretty tuckered out by the end.

Solid experience

1    5/4/2013   5/6/2013
Review By: forehandfranz
This review was updated on 12/30/2013
Pros: Kaposia seems to be a stand-alone course that's a mix of park setting on grassy rolling hills and woodland that sets partially on the edge of steep canyon cut. The first and last holes are the most civilized, on those grassy rolling hills and trees. Things are tougher when you pop into the woods. You will be punished (fairly) by bad shots, as there's some thick little trees lining those fairways. They were thick after the spring thaw - before the foliage had grown in! (This could be considered a con, but I have not played it in the summer).
The best feature here is the variety of shots offered, and over 26 holes will see if you have any weaknesses in your game. Has uphill, downhill, left, right and everything in between.
One memorable hole (#20) starts with a slight hyzer straight uphill in a narrow slot between trees. You must land in this slot to line up for a narrow opening that goes into a grassy field where the pin is hidden over a grassy hump in said field. A gnarly tough hole!
Cons: Signage is lacking. There were distances marked on posts, though. If you don't have a map, you will have a rough outing. If you DO have a map, you may still have some confusion like I did- Especially holes 20,21,22. Though 20 is a great hole, you have to practically walk the whole thing (uphill) to see where the objectives are. Hole 21 has moved the pin Past the hockey rink, and (in my opinion) is not a very good pin placement at all. Hole 22 has changed and the tee pad is pointing in the wrong direction and then you are shooting at a blind pin, which adds to the confusion. This three hole section deflated my sails a bit with way too much walking and steam coming from my ears.

There is a lot of walking between holes, but most of it is bearable. The walk between 25 & 26 is kinda ridiculous and though 26 is a good hole, I don't think it's worth it (the group I was with skipped it altogether). Finally hole 26 is a nice, short aceable shot, but right behind it is the parking lot - to go for the ace makes this is a safety hazard to people who can't see it coming. In short, I would just take out those last two holes altogether, as fun as they are....
Other Thoughts: I played this course immediately after they had played the MN Amateur Championships. Someone later informed me that I had played some long pins that are never in that position normally (one which was part of the area that frustrated me so much). So, all considered, I still would keep my rating the same (I actually did not downgrade the course due to those foibles). But I am eager to play this course again!

Challenging, Conditions Could Be Better

5+    8/27/2012   12/18/2012
Review By: ajkuck
This review was updated on 12/20/2012
Pros: The course is very challenging and offers the most variety of holes in the Twin Cities area I believe. There are a variety of holes both in the open and in the woods. The holes also offer a variety of lines for all types of players. It's a great course to work on every shot from backhand hyzers, anhyzers, tomahawks, and forehands. The course also offers several holes with elevation change, including downhill shots on Holes 9 and 22 and uphill shots on 19, 23, and 24. There is also a creek on Hole 18, but the water plays casual. There are also several protected pin locations and greens with roll away potential, including 1, 17, and 19. Overall, I would say that the majority of the holes are set in the woods, but there are wide gaps and tunnels to hit. However, it is crucial to have accurate drives on the holes because the rough/brush at Kaposia can be quite thick, hard to get out of, and is not very forgiving. If you can steer clear of the rough and stay in the fairway, the course plays much easier.
Cons: I hear of a lot of vandalism on this course and it is definitely noticeable on some holes with chipped up tee pads, broken benches, broken glass, and broken signs. There are also some sketchy walkways in the woods and areas of erosion that could be and should be vastly improved for safety. Some of the holes in the woods also have a significant amount of brush and fallen trees that need to be cleared out. Some of it had been cleared out the last time I was there, but much more needs to be done. Considering that this course is pay to play and has been for a while, it should be in a lot better condition than it is. Lastly, Kaposia doesn't really have any water hazards.
Other Thoughts: Once this course actually gets a return on the investment that has been put into it, it could compete quality-wise with the other pay to play courses in the metro like Bryant Lake, BRP, and The Valley. The challenging aspects of this course, especially the tight fairways in the woods, thick brush off the fairways, and the pins with roll away potential, could compete with BRP once the quality improves. Lengthwise, this course is quite comparable to The Valley, but maintenance wise, it's not even close. Once these improvement are made, I would gladly rate this course a higher score.

Get your woods shots on!

1    10/27/2012   10/30/2012
Review By: Monkeypaws
This review was updated on 11/7/2012
Pros: •Great big concrete tee pads, the best I've seen in my limited career.
•Many fantastic narrow wooded fairways. If you can't throw straight, which I often can not, this is a challenge, but a fun one.
•Par seemed legitimate to me.
•Beautiful setting on the high bluffs above the Mississippi River, an odd constant that runs through all the courses I've played, from St, Cloud to LaCrosse.
•The pay wagon had been removed for the season, so we played for free.
•24 holes = bonus golf.
Cons: •Without a map, this place would be damn near impossible to navigate. There is a series of holes in the first nine, where you back track from pin to tee about 5 times, and play basically the same hole over and over, as opposed to going back and forth,
•Signage is gone on most holes, adding to the confusion.
•Had I payed, given the above, I'd have felt slightly cheated. The fees they collect should be reflected in the maintenance of the course.
Other Thoughts: Played on a cool, crisp, sunny autumn morning, this place was brilliant. I have relatives that live near the freeway entrance nearby, and never realized until I searched that this park was here.

Highly recommended, but get the map - you need it.

Get a Map!

1    9/8/2012   9/8/2012
Review By: blpressley
Pros: challenging, elevation varies greatly, varying hole distances, 24 holes, clean
Cons: The course is pretty dusty. Getting from hole to hole can be very confusing. There is almost no signage present. There are a lot of very tight and narrow tee shots once you get into the woods. In the summer the foliage is VERY thick!
Other Thoughts: Kaposia is a very challenging course. I enjoy the variety it offers. Playing it can turn into quite a hike. My biggest complaint is how unintuitive the course layout is. First time players will be consulting the map after every hole from 5 and on. Even a skilled player could end up spending a lot of time in the woods and looking for discs as there are a lot of blind fairways and keeping an eye on your disc in the woods can be difficult.
SIDENOTE: Fairway Flyerz tends to pump the course up a lot. The fact that they run the course(or at least is the entity accepting the course fee) and have a small store on the course might have something to do with it.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5