Casper, WY
3 / --   3 / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Riverside and Hillside

2-4    4/14/2014   4/14/2014
Review By: markmcc
Pros: This 18 Hole course is off by itself on an interesting piece of land. About half of the course utilizes a riverside area with a good number of trees, while the other half uses a hillside that is more barren, but offers a lot of elevation.

All holes have very nice concrete teepads, except for a couple up on the hill where it would be difficult to get concrete.

Very nice steel tee signs with the hole number cut into a vertical steel plate, and a hole map attached to a horizontal surface. These signs are painted white which distinguishes them from the red signs on the adjacent Bullsnake Alley course.

There are four pin positions at each holes, and they offer very different angles and distances. In most cases the longest position is about twice the distance of the shortest. So amazing variety available on this course.

Each basket has a marker pointing to the next teepad, which helps navigation for a travelling player like myself.

The lower section of the course (first holes and final holes) plays among the trees that line the river. The river is never in play, but the trees and numerous pin positions require a lot of line-shaping on your drives.

The middle portion of the course plays up, down and across the large hillside. The view from the Hole 9 teepad is outstanding, with the backdrop of the mountains. And the big drive down is a nice reward after struggling to drive up the hill on the earlier holes.
Cons: With four widely variable basket locations available on each hole I found myself having to walk way forward on many of the holes just to locate the basket. The tee signs show and label the four positions so it would be great to have a marker available to show the current basket location.

I played in early spring, and the snowmelt had left some standing water in spots, and made the hillside very slippery. Climbing up and down the hills got pretty sporty a few times as the clay up there gets very greasy when wet.

The middle part of the course has few trees to work with, so some of the holes were basically open drives over level ground. Others however offered a lot of elevation.
Other Thoughts: Overall I liked this course quite a lot. It was the fifth course that I played in Wyoming and the best so far. I liked that the course is by itself on a dedicated piece of land, and isn't in a multi-use park competing with other activities. Other than a couple of dog-walkers I didn't run into anyone else.

On the days I played the wind was a constant factor. I imagine that is often the case out here. I'll bet this course plays very differently on a calm day. Maybe I will get a chance to find out one day.

Casper Disc Golf Course... A Hidden Gem

5+    5/20/2013   5/21/2013
Review By: Scott Ruskanen
This review was updated on 7/12/2013
Pros: This marvel of a course is located just north of the Platte River. You access the course by parking in the north parking lot of Caspers' soccer and baseball fields located just north of I25. Then cross the pedestrian bridge over the Platte River and take the north path.
There are at least 4 basket placements for each hole. This makes for an ever changing course that gives you new angles to test your wind discs. If you want to avoid the wind, plan on playing before 11:00 a.m. At over 8000 ft. in length, this course challenges even the biggest arms. 16 of the 18 tee pads are level concrete with 2 pads being updated soon to the latest mat. Water comes into play on holes 3,4 and 5 during the summer months. This courses' signature hole was #9. Sitting atop a 70 ft. hill you can see the whole course laid out before you, not to mention Caspers' tallest buildings in the backgound. But the basket on #7 found a new home about 600 feet up on a ridge. Now #7 is the signature hole on this course.Someone has done alot of work moving deadfall trees to strategic points on the course, creating some nice disc traps and also giving a general flow to the course which helps you keep on track your first couple times through. I find the abundance of wildlife to be very enjoyable too. If you play in the morning, you will undoubtedly see deer and antelope. A pair of Great Horned Owls have taken up residence... Watch out for falling bird bombs. The are alot of cottonwood trees and they come into play on almost every hole. In the summer, there are alot of bullsnakes out and about. This makes Rattlesnakes nonexistent as Bullsnakes eat Rattlesnakes. So be nice to the Bullsnakes!! All new tee box signage has this reporter impressed!
Disc golf has really taken off in Casper and it should be no problem finding a guide your first time through. Casperites are very friendly, so make sure and greet everyone you see. Overall... What a nicely constructed course! A second set of tee boxes for each hole is in the works, this should be a hot spot on the radar this summer. Another cool idea I saw... directions the next tee box are in the bottom of every basket. As you grab your disc, you can't help but notice the arrow pointing you onward. There are new trashcans every 5 holes or so and there are some nice benches placed around the course too.
Cons: There are cacti on a lot of holes... but you are allowed 15 ft. relief. Bring bug spray, water, and good shoes. There are some tough climbs, but the vistas are worth it. Oh... And there is a lot of wind in the afternoons.
Other Thoughts: There are no out of bounds on this course. But the length and wind make up for that. I found it pleasing to see how much time was devoted by volunteers to keep the area clean. This area is also a favorite of joggers and dog walkers. But don't fret, there is plenty of room on this extra large course. I would love to write more, but the weather has broke and I am itching to get back out on the course!Casper Disc Golf Course is my home course. I took up disc golf May 10th 2012. Thanks to this awesome course, I have over 200 rounds under my belt. Most of them here in Casper. I grew up in Wyoming and find the natural setting of this course to be its most endearing quality.
WOW... 2 dislikes on my review within 30 minutes of writing this... is someone feeling threatened by my over the top killer review?

Great if you can get it w/o wind

2-4    4/23/2012   4/29/2012
Review By: SnowBlind
This review was updated on 5/5/2012
Pros: Nice mix of technical and distance. Beautiful dead park.
Cons: Not all sinage up. If you don't pay attention when your teeing off you might have to walk back to see where the heck the next tee ipfcs. Only 2 holes with elevation change.
Other Thoughts: I was lucky and missed the wind but it could easily ruin a day. Boots recommended because of all the prickly pears

Fantastic Course

2-4    2/2/2012   2/2/2012
Review By: jugglerbri
Pros: Very well laid out course. Tees are all in excellent condition (even the two that aren't concrete). Just about every hole has some sort of challenge to it. Add in that each hole has 4 pin placements makes this a course that changes each time you play it (assuming you wait a while between playing it and someone has changed the pin locations). Holes 7, 8, and 9 are probably the coolest holes I've ever played and someday I'll get a good drive off the ledge on 9. Depending on the pin placements, you can have some short holes or some very long holes.
Cons: The ground can be rough. Sticks and cactus are scattered throughout so be careful where you step/kneel/squat etc. and don't wear sandals! Last time I played I stepped in some critter hole and bruised up my shin pretty bad so use caution as you walk around. If you play 7, 8, 9 the climb is pretty steep so if you aren't used to the elevation, take your time (but that's what makes those three holes so cool!).
Other Thoughts: Whenever I'm going through Casper, I make a point of stopping and playing this course, and you should too. So far, this is one of my top 2 favorite courses (I haven't been playing for a real long time so take that into account).

The first time I played, I had a hard time finding the start. If you are using GPS navigation, navigate to the Boys and Girls Club of Casper. You'll see soccer fields across the street from the club, navigate through the soccer fields all the way to the back, park, and cross the bridge. The first tee is just after you hang a right at the fork in the trail.

Casper the friendly course

1    5/18/2011   5/19/2011
Review By: Leroy
Pros: The course has a nice flow to it. Concrete tee pads on 16 of the 18 holes. Tee signs at each pad that help you navigate the course. It's located right next to the river so many trees grow here giving you something to challenge almost every shot. The trees are plentiful but not thick, thus there is some sort of chute on each shot, making skills count not just random luck. Two of the holes had water on them when I played #3 (to the left of the tee) and #5 (a 100 ft shot across the water from the tee) but I'm not sure if that's year round from looking at other course pictures. Hole #7 goes up a steep hill. Hole #8 is short but across a narrow, steep mini canyon. Hole #9 drops down a good 40-50 ft for a fun tee off with a great view of the area. Hole #18 had the pin near a bit of a swamp giving me a bayou vibe. It's out on the edge of town and exclusively for disc golf, making it relaxed.
Cons: Tee signs are a bit simplistic making it hard to find the baskets the first time through.
Other Thoughts: What a pleasant surprise this was after driving mile after mile across the open Wyoming landscape. This is a great location for a course out on the prairie. This course is LONG and technical. I don't throw a huge distance so pars were hard to come by but I was playing with someone of similar skill level so we had a great time competing. The only things I would change about this course would be adding some orange paint to the basket center pole facing the tee for visibility, and maybe placing the basket on hole #13 on the side of the ridge to add another hole with some elevation. Print up the course map before you play or you will wander a bit looking for the next tee. All in all it was slightly raining, it was getting dark when I played, I felt a bit ill from being on a roadtrip too long, and still I had a blast! Worth stopping for and even maybe worth going out of your way for.

very fun course

2-4    8/17/2010   9/7/2010
Review By: bubbaarmy
Pros: long, dificult, techinical, very fun course to play. this is tied for my favorite course in Wyoming, and in my top 5 ever.
Cons: casper is usually windy so makes this a very right time, right place course.
Other Thoughts: if you like playing frolf, and are going through central Wyoming, this is a must play course!

Great Wyoming Course

5+    6/5/2010   7/5/2010
Review By: trenken0103
This review was updated on 7/22/2010
Pros: It's a very nice course, lots of elevation changes, T's are on tops of hills, and in valleys. There is a great "smoking shack" on 11. Funny thing is this was my "Home course" for about 3 years and I helped build the shack. It's a good beer course. Has about 3 or 4 different pin placements. Throwing up hills and right back down so keep your shots low. Good long holes and no short holes so bring your arm.
Cons: Crappy T box on 9. Broken signs, and no trash cans. The wind. Hard to navigate if its your first time. Some open shots but still deep.
Other Thoughts: This is Casper there is always going to be wind. Watch out for the snake under T box 11. Have fun and pack in and pack out.

Cool Course

1    6/16/2009   6/17/2009
Review By: discallday
Pros: Good variety in hole lengths; most - if not all - of the holes have 4 pin placements, ranging from less than 200 to more than 600 feet.
The availability of all of these pin placements also prevent the course from favoring righties or lefties.
Moderate usage of elevation as mentioned in the previous review. The wind (which was strongish when I played) also added some interest for each shot. Beautiful scenery if you like deserts, and I did. I saw two jack-rabbits, and a lot of cool vegetation that I am not used to seeing on a disc golf course.
Disc Golf does not seem to conflict with people using the walking/bike paths.
Cons: If it's your first time playing, the course will be hard to follow without a map and more detailed signage is needed in order to tell where the next teebox is located. Many of the holes have very useful signs detailing all of the pin placements and distances, but around half of these were damaged or missing.
I do wish there was a bit more elevation used. But for the most part, the minimal elevation variety is used pretty well.
This course is pretty open, which prevents it from having much in the way of wooded technical holes. However, when there are obstacles, there are often a number of possible routes to the basket.
Other Thoughts: I am a big fan, and now that I've made it around, I really wish I could go back and play it again. If it had more detailed signage or loaner maps readily available at the first tee, this course would get 4.5 stars from me.

A Great View of Casper Mountain

5/14/2008   5/14/2008
Review By: DGtourist
Pros: Casper's DGC is tucked away behind the bike path that meanders along the North Platte River. The river itself never comes into play, but the natural vegetation forms a fun maze of cottonwoods, shallow ponds and high-country cactus. As a big fan of courses not set in a city park, I appreciate this slice of Wyoming rolling prairie and river setting. Numbers seven through nine in my opinion are the crown jewel of the course, they utilize the northern hill, bringing elevation and therefore vistas into play.

All of the teeboxes are paved except for numbers eight and nine, probably because of the difficulty of getting a cement truck up there. It is hard enough to drag your own butt up there, making the fact that they laid garden stones for the number nine tee-box an impressive feat. Every hole has four pin locations and signage that shows the location and distance for the locations. There are arrows on most baskets that direct you to the next box. The alternate pin locations are key here because every hole can either be a short birdie or a long, "count yourself lucky if you make par" hole. If the locations are changed often than this course would take a long time to get old.

The view from nine is great, you see the city and the mountains. Other stand-out holes include; number five which plays over a shallow pond with noisy frogs, and number thirteen that played alongside the base of a hill that had antelope on my visit. The pin locations were all near some interesting obstacle.
Cons: Outside of seven through nine, the course felt like a dizzying maze of the same big arm and around a tree shot. I think though, with all the different directions you face it can make for a decent wind course as well.

You have to be up for the climbs on seven, and eight if you miss, as well as the steep climb down nine, but the downhill tee shot on nine is worth it. A player would be wise to have water. It was muddy on the day I played. The signs were missing on numbers three and fourteen. The arrow on the basket number two lead me in the wrong direction and it took a little work to get back on course. Many of the basket arrows seemed misplaced, but the tee signs also display the location of the next box so it doesn't take much work to figure out. The place could use more sitting places, either logs or benches. It is long and I got tired in a few spots. It would have been super cool to kick back on number nine.
Other Thoughts: It was a little bit hard to find but have no fear, the directions are solid, its just the park roads are so narrow and somewhat confusing. The park which is really just thirty yards from number one, has bathrooms. I'm very glad I made the trip. Even though I know I'm allergic, I wish I could have been in Casper on a day that the trees are in bloom.