Charlotte, NC
Nevin Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: 1978 Hole #15 (Taken 4/2010)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Just the challenge I was looking for..

1    7/20/2014   7/22/2014
Review By: chainedwraith
Pros: I did my homework before arriving in Charlotte and knew this was going to be a tough challenge and it certainly delivered. The park/scenery/course was beautiful. I played solo, from long tees, late afternoon after the rain had passed and the pads were wet but still grippy, no issues there.

I'm one of the disc golfers that really appreciates that feeling of isolation and remoteness with nature, and for a busy park course, it does still retain some of that "I'm the only one out here" kinda feel which I really enjoy. That, to me, also illustrates great separation of holes and good flow.

The course appears to drain well as I don't recall stepping into too much mud or standing water as I would expect on my usual Florida courses.

The fairways were definitely fair, you simply gotta hit your lines and use discs with little to no fade. I never felt that "poke 'n pray" feeling on any of the holes.

The use of elevation was excellent. Although most holes were tightly wooded there were a few holes that tease you with some openness but you still have to hit your lines (or make a mando) on those too.

Navigation was adequate. I arrived without a map but found hole 1 short tee then walked back to hole 1 long tee and never really got off track too bad after that except for a little confusion after I finished hole 12 I walked up to the left before realizing I needed to go down to the right to find 13.
Cons: Not really many cons.. just a few notes. Although extremely challenging, it wasn't a course where I felt I had to do a lot of thinking on the tee pad and/or use a lot of different shots or discs. I probably only used 3-4 discs the entire round. Most of the true shot shaping seemed to come from those critical upshots. I used my TL or Roc on probably 80-90% of my drives throwing mostly flat or close to flat right down the middle. I realize that straight long shots are difficult for most players so I took this as part of the overall challenge and not so much a true "con". I wouldn't change a thing, but I know this might bother some players who can't wait to bust out their high speed overstable drivers. This is not a course for those folks.

The risk of going off fairway from the tee was a little intense for my tastes which forces me to play way more conservative than usual. That probably makes me a better player but takes a notch off the fun factor if you are hunting for lots of birdies. This could also be largely attributed to the fact that it was my first time here so no real point deduction on that note. I'm sure if I played here often as a local I would grow a pair of "Nevin balls" and start pretending the trees weren't there. ;-)

The shule on the left side of hole 12 is brutal. I lost one in there trying to LHBH hyzer flip a glo-Tern up and over the trees.. it was a decent crush and made it over but it never came back to the fairway and several minutes of searching turned up nothing.

Spiders are everywhere and although I despise them.. I'm used to playing courses that have them and I'll take a nature-oriented course over most open park courses anyday.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed my round here. The long straight shots with tight lines are tough, but extremely rewarding if you hit them. I parked hole 3 from long pads with a sweet TL shot and it felt REALLY good (it was the only hole I deuced)! You really gotta earn those birdies here. This course will punish your every error. Holes 9 - 12 were the toughest stretch for me (went 5,6,5,7) and those type of bad runs can be demoralizing but I managed to finish bogey free after that and it felt like a solid accomplishment overall. This is one of those courses that is such a challenge that I can't wait to comeback again someday and truly see how much my game has improved. This course will exploit problems with your technique and accuracy and punish you for them which is what I believe the designer was wanting to do. Kudos on a great advanced level course!

Left-hander bias?

1    4/29/2014   4/29/2014
Review By: luckless_pedestrian
Pros: Flat out awesome course. Like all good courses you need to be able to hit a variety of shots. It's long and beautiful and most of the time you're not aware of the other people in the park.
Cons: Playing with someone who can throw a decent forehand (I can't) I felt like Nevin set up a little better for him. Sour grapes? Probably.
Other Thoughts: You do have to hit the gaps. Missing can mean ping-ponging from one side of the fairway to the other. That's not really a con, just a fact. I can't wait to play there again.

My Friend Nevin is a Must Play!

1    4/20/2014   4/25/2014
Review By: sidewinder22
Pros: Cooly was sportin' black denim shoes, with 18 challenging holes, Discatcher baskets, multiple concrete tees, practice basket, nice tee signs, benches, trash cans and restrooms.
Dealing he was looking for something to use with par 3, 4, and 5's through long wooded fairways over some great terrain and elevation.
With a pistol in his pocket and a bottle of booze, he will take all shots in the bag and leave you feeling a bit light headed.
Well, it could be me or it could be you, he was fairly secluded from the rest of the park and easy to navigate.
Oh feels like my whole life is rearranged.
Oh Nevin you rule,
Nevin, Nevin, Nevin, Nevin you...
Oh how you rule,
Oh how you rule
Cons: Oh Nevin, I give you a hard time. Got out of jail just the very next day, you got Poison Ivy in the rough and that's about all.
Other Thoughts: Hooked on Nevin just the other day
Now he's down with the CIA
We got covert operation in Vietnam
Making hits and assasination he's long gone

He went down to protect his country
Eat Mexican food and makes lots o' money
Come back a God and drive a big white car
And take himself a plane down to Nicaragua
Well it feels like I'm the only one to blame.

Oh Nevin you rule
Nevin, Nevin, Nevin, Nevin you
Oh how you rule.

I give you a hard time, did want to stay
Got outta jail just the very next day
It's plain to see my friend Nevin is a Must Play!
He was a Must Play yeah, yeah, yeah!

Out my window cool and bright
Day so slowly into night
Funny how other things look the same
Now that my friend Nevin rules!

Date: 4/28/2014 Designer Response by: 1978
Thanks for your review...but on its format I'll have to stew. :-)

Nevin is North Carolina woods play at its best!

2-4    3/23/2014   3/24/2014
Review By: DiscChainBasket18
Pros: The course is "pro" level long & technical. Long throws through tree lined alleys await you. Some shorter holes & some open holes mixed in here & there. Elevation in play on many holes. Mando's, OB's & a creek in play. Large concrete tee pads. Alternate tee pads. Pretty scenery. The course has good flow!
Cons: Punishing if you stray off the fairway. Thick stands of trees may force a "pitch-out" to save strokes. Side-hill pin placement on some holes will cause a roll-away putt or two (if you miss your putt). Long, long, it takes a while to play this course so plan accordingly.
Other Thoughts: I first played this course when I first started playing disc golf & I hated it. It was way too hard!! Now that I have seen the pro's play (in Worlds) & I've advanced myself I can appreciate the extreme challenge of playing this type of course. Epic challenge comes to mind!

The Test

1    12/18/2013   12/18/2013
Review By: Hector Chain
Pros: This is a course that will test you. At 8100 feet, it is long and fairly tight. There are plenty of times you'll see the distance of the hole, reach for your driver, and then think better of it. Staying on the fairway is an absolute must if you want to score decently. If you are a hyzer distance kind of guy, you won't love it here.

The average distance is about 450 feet, but that masks how the course plays. Some holes are under 300 feet where carding a par isn't tough if your drive hits the gap. On others, you are playing over 550 feet. I took several 7's in my round, and I didn't even feel like I was playing horribly.

The first half of the course felt a bit tighter. I felt like the more memorable holes were late in the round. Hole 12 is a 950-foot joy ride, starting off fairly open over some rolling hills before descending into a wooded area where shot placement turns out to be key. This hole plays a lot like the longest hole at Flip City.

Holes 14 and 16 play near a walking path (not as unsafe as it sounds) with some wooded fences that add some character to the holes. 14 is a short uphill hole, and 16 is a long, bending downhill.

My favorite may have been 17, which starts with a straight uphill shot before a sharp dogleg to the left. The fairway gently glides down to the pin, left to right. Distances are listed along the fairway, nailed into stumps on the ground (great feature). I'm not sure the landing area at the dogleg is wide enough, but it's a dogleg hole that reminds me of some of the shots at Renny.

Elevation comes into play on most holes. No huge ups and downs, but enough to matter.
Cons: Tee signs are not that helpful. Most just show the distance, and others have a very rough representation of the fairway. When you are throwing 600-foot holes in the woods, a much more detailed tee sign is called for because you sure aren't walking these fairways twice. It doesn't help that there are temporary signs for the 2013 amateur doubles championships, listing inconsistent distances.

Navigation isn't bad, and "next tee" signs are on most holes. However, I wasn't always clear on which holes had short tees. I was playing the longs, so this was fine for me, but playing the shorts looked tougher to navigate. The map on this site has several holes that are wrong (11 and 12, I believe), so I'm guessing it's outdated. I know maps don't matter to locals, but Charlotte attracts more disc golf tourists than most places.

I won't quibble with most of the design, and I feel like I understand what they were going for. The exception is hole 7. There is a gap of about 3 feet that you need to hit about 30 feet from the tee pad. I could certainly be wrong, but I'm dubious that even very good players can execute this shot consistently. I like holes where the first shot is not a full throw, but I ended up putting my disc through the gap and then carding the easy par.

I mentioned that the course is a test. At times, it feels like a driver's ed test. You are striving to be technically perfect and driving carefully, but you're not really having fun. I felt this way for a good chunk of the first half of the course.
Other Thoughts: I feel similarly about this course as I do about Blue Valley in Kansas City: 1) I'm glad this kind of course exists to challenge the best, 2) the area can afford to have a course with limited appeal given the huge number of courses in the area, and 3) I wouldn't say I loved it (although I definitely was more beaten down by Blue Valley than here).

Come see how you measure up. You can't graduate without taking the test.

Date: 12/19/2013 Designer Response by: 1978
Hole 7's gap much wider than 3', ill measure it though and most players should be able to hit it. The thought of the shot messes with people's minds more than the actual shot. Most players can easily jump putt through it and then nestle up the the basket on the 205' hole for par. But that is the thing with Nevin. If you hit your lines, you will shoot 6-10 under par. If you are off...you will take 7's. People consistently mark the signage as a negative, I've never seen a tee sign on 130 played courses that replaced playing the hole once or walking down the hole to see how it plays. Nevin has tee signs on most holes.

Great course - challenging

1    12/4/2013   12/4/2013
Review By: pfpro
Pros: - Great variety of short and long. Good mixture throughout the course (not all shorts or longs are bunched together). It did not feel like holes were crammed in to get 18 holes.
- Great directional signage between holes. The course was designed with a nice flow, but the signs and arrows made it super easy.
- Many holes had multiple tees. The longs were definitely more challenging, and the par score reflects that. I played the longs for most (until I got to the last 3 holes, and some locals were playing the shorts, and I didn't want to get locked in the park).
- Nice big teepads. Many holes had benches. There were garbage cans or bags at most (if not all) holes.
- Really nice use of the elevation changes - not super dramatic, but it wasn't a flat course.
- Pin placement (thinking 3 and 7 specifically) reward a good approach. If you are short, and your putt goes long, you are looking at least a 3-putt.
- Many of the holes had distance markers on trees or stumps so you know how far away the basket is - nice little touch.
Cons: These are very minor cons, but since we have this field to fill out....
- one that the designers have no control over is the fact that the park locks down - so you are confined to park hours. Not a big deal, but if I want to disc-golf at 6 am, why should I have to wait for anyone to unlock a gate?
- the teepad signs are a little lacking. They did show distances, and a flight path, but there were no landmarks, just an arrow. (I didn't see the ones that are shown in the photographs on this site - maybe they were under the ones on the posts). On a positive note, they clearly outlined what was OB for each hole.
Other Thoughts: This review is written from the perspective of one who passes through. If it were my home course, the teepad signs wouldn't' be an issue. I played this course starting in the late afternoon and finishing in the twilight in the late fall, so I'm sure my experience was rushed. I look forward to playing this course again! I did stick mainly to mids (because I have a pink FLX buzzz) because of the visibility concern with leaves - and it allowed me to sacrifice some distance but stay in the fairway and chase par - it was a learning experience for me for playing within game, and I recommend it. Most of the wooded holes are pretty tight. Not so much like the Kilborne wooded feel (where the fairways are "vast"). There is a short run of open holes in the middle of the back nine. My three favorite holes: 18 - kind of an "epic" finish - downhill following a utility line opening, across a creek and back up to the pin. 14 - hit the double mando, but keep it low so you get under the tree - then you can bomb across the field. 7 - short hole - if you overshoot the teeshot, you are down in a 30' ravine. As I said before, I look forward to playing this course again. BTW, read the hole notes from the course designer (saw them as I was doing this review) - they definitely show how to theoretically (my arm doesn't always do what my brain wants it to do....) run the course. This is a great course - get out and play it!

My favorite in Charlotte

5+    10/18/2013   10/24/2013
Review By: doctharock
Pros: I love this course. It has one of the best and hardest long layouts in Charlotte (besides maybe Renny Gold and The Web at hornets nest). The short tees are still quite formidable. The course requires every throw in the bag. From short finesse (hole 2 and 3) to big open bombs (12,14,18). This is such a great design and one of Stan's best. My favorite thing about this course is it's seclusion. Almost zero cars going by and never a random weirdo person lurking at the teepads or benches. There is almost never anyone on the course so you very rarely have to wait or let someone play through. There is almost no water (thankfully) and very little OB. Fairways are always pretty clear and very little poison ivy and underbrush even during the summer, unless you get really really deep into the woods. Hole number 5 is one of the most rewarding holes in golf if you can birdie it. I love that hole and hate it.
Cons: Not really a bail out route if you need to leave a round early or just want to play a few holes. You can bail at hole 12 but it is still a pretty good walk back to the car. (4-5 minutes, which i guess isn't awful by no means, just not a quick hop). Other than that I really don't have anything bad to say about this course.
Other Thoughts: Hole number 11 has changed, and for the better. It is a long dogleg left par 4 now, instead of that short par 3 across the jogging path.

Date: 10/29/2013 Designer Response by: 1978
Id suggest, if you were concerned with time, starting at hole 13 that plays you around a 6 hole loop, smaller than the 12 hole loop starting at 1.

1    9/28/2013   9/30/2013
Review By: _MTL_
Pros: - I really enjoyed the use of elevation on this course. There wasn't much on the property, but what was available was used quite well.
- I liked the concept of a lot of holes. For example, the concept of hole 4 where you can throw a simple shot to the landing area or try to get way down the mouth. Lots of choices for the player
- Holes that needed to be tigther due to being short were (hole 7). Holes that didn't need to be tighter due to being longer weren't and had options (hole 8).
- Fairly easy to navigate

Hands down the best part that not many higher par courses get...

- Distances were marked on the holes at random points. HUGE plus that the time was taken on par 4s and 5s to mark trees with distances.
Cons: - I felt a few times the design was a bit forced. Hole 17 seemed like the basket was just put well to the right so the hole could be a par 4. Same thing with the double mando on 14. Forcing it a bit, so to speak, to add par 4s to the course.

- Tees were good, but some of them were raised which gave a few issues with run ups.

- Not a great course to practice on. Due to the woods, you are very limited in a lot of your shot selection per hole. Overall, you throw a lot of shots. But you are limited on each hole because the fairways are so defined.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed the course and really enjoyed the concept of a lot of the holes. It's a very hard but very fair course. And fairness is very important.

Date: 10/7/2013 Designer Response by: 1978
Thanks Robert - Excellent last point and a unique one I haven't heard before. Nevin basically calls for a specific shot at a specific time.

The short loop planned for inside the park road will offer a practice course on the property. Origginal course was designed for the player who already has skills defined.

The whole course (including #17) was designed and built for the longs. I wish the shorts were never included in the discussion for review; they are not "Nevin," in my opinion. I have and may institute ideas to solve for the 2 "jerky" holes 5&17 by smoothing corners and lengthening throws.

A Real Challenge

1    7/19/2013   7/26/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: Nevin stands out as a challenging course even in Charlotte. It's a challenge to play and a challenge to review.

Nevin makes you throw straight. Very straight. Straighter than I can throw. At least for that distance. Any fade at the end of even a good drive can put you in a mess of trees in spots. Is that a pro? In a way. This a course with identity. This is a course built with an idea in mind and I think it succeeded completely. I'll remember this course. At some time in the near future, I'll probably be at some course at some distant location and say, "that's a Nevin fairway."

But just as challenging as this course was to play, it might be tougher to accurately review. What do you rate a course that in so many objective ways is great, and it is great. The layout is fantastic, the flow is among the best I've experienced and the holes are extremely varied in shape and length, all while maintaining a consistent vision, yet can also be extremely frustrating.
Cons: Because it can be frustrating. It will be too difficult for many players. It's too difficult for me, really. It can be demoralizing to watch a shot that holds its line for almost long enough, and then fades into a stand of trees that you will hope to get out of with one shot. And if your drive isn't good, this course will brutalize you. The course is definitely not for everyone.

Other Thoughts: So that's where Nevin stands. A beautifully designed course that will not appeal to a significant portion of the disc golfing public.

There's definitely a place for that type of course, and Nevin stands out to me as one of the better examples of that type. I'd come back, but with a little more experience under my belt.

Date: 8/16/2013 Designer Response by: 1978
Thank you for the thoughtful review, however, I think that your reviews tend to overstate the thickness of the rough on a number of Charlotte Courses. To the right of Hole 12L and 13 are the only 2 areas of overly dense forest. Nevin is designed for the upper advanced and pro level. Under par golf is attainable for every player if you play smart, if you mess up, you will have a difficult time recovering because of the length of the hole finishes. As a course designer I do not feel that a course needs to be suited to all skill levels to acheive a 4-5 disc rating. Amentities, cleanlines, design, fairness of "fair"ways, safety, design compared to the skill desired to play and direction should weigh more.

best course in north charlotte

5+    4/25/2013   4/26/2013
Review By: jyoung927
This review was updated on 2/24/2014
Pros: -demands accuracy
-requires a variety of shots. if you can only throw RHBH, you probably can't play here.
-keeps away the riffraff (one year ago, this was me!)
-great elevation useage
-multiple options for getting to a basket
Cons: -demands accuracy
-requires a variety of shots.
-the rough is EXTREMELY rough, and the dead leaves don't seem to disintegrate, rather they just keep piling up. super easy to lose discs here
Other Thoughts: this is probably my favorite course in the charlotte area, and there are a LOT of courses in the area. i love woods courses, i love elevation change, i love when courses offer multiple routes to a basket, and this course has all of that.
unless you can throw straight as an arrow, and LONG, then you probably want to steer clear of nevin, especially during silkworm season. -temporarily (i see the designer mentioned 2 weeks) this place is borderline unplayable due to the billions of silkworms. i know it's a problem all over charlotte, but none of the other courses i've played this week were anywhere near this bad.

-i lost one of my favorite discs (white star starfire, 163g) on #5. a beautiful flick nicked a tree and bounded right. i spent probably an hour looking for it, but between the laughably rough rough and the sea of silkworm webs, it wasn't to be found.

(05.17.13) update: the course is back to being web-free ish, so get out and throw some bombs. also, much thanks to jim for returning the disc i lost. that's always appreciated

(02.24.14) UPDATE - hate to say it, but i'm gonna steer clear of nevin for a while. i know it's not in the greatest section of town, but i figured on a busy weekend, mid-day, my car would be safe for an hour and a half or so. unfortunately, that's not the case. sometime between 4-5:30 on sat, feb 22, someone busted my front passenger's window and stole the gf's purse, which was stuffed under the front seat. GD i hate people. that's all. just be careful out there, and don't leave any valuables in plain sight. even then, it may not matter :-/

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5