Charlotte, NC
Nevin Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: 1978 Hole #17 (Taken 9/2010)
Hole #17 Mid-Fairway

Just the challenge I was looking for..

1    7/20/2014   7/22/2014
Review By: chainedwraith
Pros: I did my homework before arriving in Charlotte and knew this was going to be a tough challenge and it certainly delivered. The park/scenery/course was beautiful. I played solo, from long tees, late afternoon after the rain had passed and the pads were wet but still grippy, no issues there.

I'm one of the disc golfers that really appreciates that feeling of isolation and remoteness with nature, and for a busy park course, it does still retain some of that "I'm the only one out here" kinda feel which I really enjoy. That, to me, also illustrates great separation of holes and good flow.

The course appears to drain well as I don't recall stepping into too much mud or standing water as I would expect on my usual Florida courses.

The fairways were definitely fair, you simply gotta hit your lines and use discs with little to no fade. I never felt that "poke 'n pray" feeling on any of the holes.

The use of elevation was excellent. Although most holes were tightly wooded there were a few holes that tease you with some openness but you still have to hit your lines (or make a mando) on those too.

Navigation was adequate. I arrived without a map but found hole 1 short tee then walked back to hole 1 long tee and never really got off track too bad after that except for a little confusion after I finished hole 12 I walked up to the left before realizing I needed to go down to the right to find 13.
Cons: Not really many cons.. just a few notes. Although extremely challenging, it wasn't a course where I felt I had to do a lot of thinking on the tee pad and/or use a lot of different shots or discs. I probably only used 3-4 discs the entire round. Most of the true shot shaping seemed to come from those critical upshots. I used my TL or Roc on probably 80-90% of my drives throwing mostly flat or close to flat right down the middle. I realize that straight long shots are difficult for most players so I took this as part of the overall challenge and not so much a true "con". I wouldn't change a thing, but I know this might bother some players who can't wait to bust out their high speed overstable drivers. This is not a course for those folks.

The risk of going off fairway from the tee was a little intense for my tastes which forces me to play way more conservative than usual. That probably makes me a better player but takes a notch off the fun factor if you are hunting for lots of birdies. This could also be largely attributed to the fact that it was my first time here so no real point deduction on that note. I'm sure if I played here often as a local I would grow a pair of "Nevin balls" and start pretending the trees weren't there. ;-)

The shule on the left side of hole 12 is brutal. I lost one in there trying to LHBH hyzer flip a glo-Tern up and over the trees.. it was a decent crush and made it over but it never came back to the fairway and several minutes of searching turned up nothing.

Spiders are everywhere and although I despise them.. I'm used to playing courses that have them and I'll take a nature-oriented course over most open park courses anyday.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed my round here. The long straight shots with tight lines are tough, but extremely rewarding if you hit them. I parked hole 3 from long pads with a sweet TL shot and it felt REALLY good (it was the only hole I deuced)! You really gotta earn those birdies here. This course will punish your every error. Holes 9 - 12 were the toughest stretch for me (went 5,6,5,7) and those type of bad runs can be demoralizing but I managed to finish bogey free after that and it felt like a solid accomplishment overall. This is one of those courses that is such a challenge that I can't wait to comeback again someday and truly see how much my game has improved. This course will exploit problems with your technique and accuracy and punish you for them which is what I believe the designer was wanting to do. Kudos on a great advanced level course!

Nevin is North Carolina woods play at its best!

2-4    3/23/2014   3/24/2014
Review By: DiscChainBasket18
Pros: The course is "pro" level long & technical. Long throws through tree lined alleys await you. Some shorter holes & some open holes mixed in here & there. Elevation in play on many holes. Mando's, OB's & a creek in play. Large concrete tee pads. Alternate tee pads. Pretty scenery. The course has good flow!
Cons: Punishing if you stray off the fairway. Thick stands of trees may force a "pitch-out" to save strokes. Side-hill pin placement on some holes will cause a roll-away putt or two (if you miss your putt). Long, long, it takes a while to play this course so plan accordingly.
Other Thoughts: I first played this course when I first started playing disc golf & I hated it. It was way too hard!! Now that I have seen the pro's play (in Worlds) & I've advanced myself I can appreciate the extreme challenge of playing this type of course. Epic challenge comes to mind!

The Test

1    12/18/2013   12/18/2013
Review By: Hector Chain
Pros: This is a course that will test you. At 8100 feet, it is long and fairly tight. There are plenty of times you'll see the distance of the hole, reach for your driver, and then think better of it. Staying on the fairway is an absolute must if you want to score decently. If you are a hyzer distance kind of guy, you won't love it here.

The average distance is about 450 feet, but that masks how the course plays. Some holes are under 300 feet where carding a par isn't tough if your drive hits the gap. On others, you are playing over 550 feet. I took several 7's in my round, and I didn't even feel like I was playing horribly.

The first half of the course felt a bit tighter. I felt like the more memorable holes were late in the round. Hole 12 is a 950-foot joy ride, starting off fairly open over some rolling hills before descending into a wooded area where shot placement turns out to be key. This hole plays a lot like the longest hole at Flip City.

Holes 14 and 16 play near a walking path (not as unsafe as it sounds) with some wooded fences that add some character to the holes. 14 is a short uphill hole, and 16 is a long, bending downhill.

My favorite may have been 17, which starts with a straight uphill shot before a sharp dogleg to the left. The fairway gently glides down to the pin, left to right. Distances are listed along the fairway, nailed into stumps on the ground (great feature). I'm not sure the landing area at the dogleg is wide enough, but it's a dogleg hole that reminds me of some of the shots at Renny.

Elevation comes into play on most holes. No huge ups and downs, but enough to matter.
Cons: Tee signs are not that helpful. Most just show the distance, and others have a very rough representation of the fairway. When you are throwing 600-foot holes in the woods, a much more detailed tee sign is called for because you sure aren't walking these fairways twice. It doesn't help that there are temporary signs for the 2013 amateur doubles championships, listing inconsistent distances.

Navigation isn't bad, and "next tee" signs are on most holes. However, I wasn't always clear on which holes had short tees. I was playing the longs, so this was fine for me, but playing the shorts looked tougher to navigate. The map on this site has several holes that are wrong (11 and 12, I believe), so I'm guessing it's outdated. I know maps don't matter to locals, but Charlotte attracts more disc golf tourists than most places.

I won't quibble with most of the design, and I feel like I understand what they were going for. The exception is hole 7. There is a gap of about 3 feet that you need to hit about 30 feet from the tee pad. I could certainly be wrong, but I'm dubious that even very good players can execute this shot consistently. I like holes where the first shot is not a full throw, but I ended up putting my disc through the gap and then carding the easy par.

I mentioned that the course is a test. At times, it feels like a driver's ed test. You are striving to be technically perfect and driving carefully, but you're not really having fun. I felt this way for a good chunk of the first half of the course.
Other Thoughts: I feel similarly about this course as I do about Blue Valley in Kansas City: 1) I'm glad this kind of course exists to challenge the best, 2) the area can afford to have a course with limited appeal given the huge number of courses in the area, and 3) I wouldn't say I loved it (although I definitely was more beaten down by Blue Valley than here).

Come see how you measure up. You can't graduate without taking the test.

Date: 12/19/2013 Designer Response by: 1978
Hole 7's gap much wider than 3', ill measure it though and most players should be able to hit it. The thought of the shot messes with people's minds more than the actual shot. Most players can easily jump putt through it and then nestle up the the basket on the 205' hole for par. But that is the thing with Nevin. If you hit your lines, you will shoot 6-10 under par. If you are off...you will take 7's. People consistently mark the signage as a negative, I've never seen a tee sign on 130 played courses that replaced playing the hole once or walking down the hole to see how it plays. Nevin has tee signs on most holes.

1    9/28/2013   9/30/2013
Review By: _MTL_
Pros: - I really enjoyed the use of elevation on this course. There wasn't much on the property, but what was available was used quite well.
- I liked the concept of a lot of holes. For example, the concept of hole 4 where you can throw a simple shot to the landing area or try to get way down the mouth. Lots of choices for the player
- Holes that needed to be tigther due to being short were (hole 7). Holes that didn't need to be tighter due to being longer weren't and had options (hole 8).
- Fairly easy to navigate

Hands down the best part that not many higher par courses get...

- Distances were marked on the holes at random points. HUGE plus that the time was taken on par 4s and 5s to mark trees with distances.
Cons: - I felt a few times the design was a bit forced. Hole 17 seemed like the basket was just put well to the right so the hole could be a par 4. Same thing with the double mando on 14. Forcing it a bit, so to speak, to add par 4s to the course.

- Tees were good, but some of them were raised which gave a few issues with run ups.

- Not a great course to practice on. Due to the woods, you are very limited in a lot of your shot selection per hole. Overall, you throw a lot of shots. But you are limited on each hole because the fairways are so defined.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed the course and really enjoyed the concept of a lot of the holes. It's a very hard but very fair course. And fairness is very important.

Date: 10/7/2013 Designer Response by: 1978
Thanks Robert - Excellent last point and a unique one I haven't heard before. Nevin basically calls for a specific shot at a specific time.

The short loop planned for inside the park road will offer a practice course on the property. Origginal course was designed for the player who already has skills defined.

The whole course (including #17) was designed and built for the longs. I wish the shorts were never included in the discussion for review; they are not "Nevin," in my opinion. I have and may institute ideas to solve for the 2 "jerky" holes 5&17 by smoothing corners and lengthening throws.

1    1/24/2012   1/25/2012
Review By: xcrunner134life
Pros: Excellent layout
Easy to get around
Difficult, but not crazy hard. If you keep it in the fairway, you are generally rewarded.
If you wanted to play the longer course, you don't have to go hunting for the long tees.
Good use of elevation changes.
Cons: Hole map at tee boxes would be nice. Most holes had a hand drawn map, but not all.
Some of the par 4s are more like long 3s
Other Thoughts: First time playing the course and I found it very easy to get around. Really the only downer to my round was it had rained the previous four days and everything was still very wet and muddy. HOWEVER, I was still able to get around the course with relative ease. Pushing my daughters stroller around the course was pretty easy. I only had issues with the mud. I will be playing this course again.

Tough wooded challenge

1    4/18/2011   5/8/2011
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through dense woods with some nice elevation changes. The hills are used very well to add challenge and fun, with some cool uphill and downhill holes and some fast greens that add challenge to your short game. The course is technical, the couple holes that have more open drives require good placement to have a good look at the second shot. If you miss your line, you'll be penalized with dense rough and lots of trees.

There's a great mix of hole shapes here, with a balanced st of right and left turning holes to challenge all the shots in your bag. The course plays pretty long, especially from the pro tees, but there are reachable holes mixed in to keep things interesting. The tees are nice concrete pads with good texture and plenty of room. The signage is basic, but adequate to figure out the course.
Cons: The rough is so thick throughout most of the course that you never have the chance to be creative if you miss your line. I like punishment for missing the fairway, but it gets a little old to be just pitching back out every time. There are lots of fairways that have stumps and roots under the leaves, watch your step.
Other Thoughts: This is a very challenging course, that will test your line shaping skills and rewards players that can accurately hit longer shots through the woods. The shorter tees are a great challenge for intermediate players, they offer great variety with a little less challenge. The pro tees are just plain tough, they would offer a real challenge for even the best players. Beginners won't have much fun here, it's just too long and punishing even from the short tees.

A Toughy

1    3/12/2011   3/15/2011
Review By: vonDrehle
This review was updated on 5/22/2013
Pros: -This course requires a lot of different shots from the teepad which is really nice.
-The tees were very nice with long teepads and very accurate portrayals of the hole on the signs. Be sure to notice the arrows indicating the slope on the holes before you play as many times you can't see the basket for a few shots.
-There are distances lined down each hole like you would find in ball golf and I found that very nice since a lot of your shots are used trying to get to a good layup spot.
-Great signage to get you from one hole to the next. It was our first time playing and we never got lost.
Cons: -The par 5's seemed a little much for me. You could shoot well on them if you just took a bunch of straight shots or thumbers but even then you can find trouble. I found them to be more work than fun unlike say the par 5 at Hornets Nest that is challenging but still fun.
-I also found that many of the holes I was just hoping for a par which can get pretty dull.
-A few times we didn't realize there was a short tee and a long tee (hole 1 for instance) but we may have missed the signs.
Other Thoughts: I really liked this course and aside from the par 5's I enjoyed my round. This is definitely a course that requires multiple plays to master it. Many times on the teepad I thought one shot was appropriate but when I got to my drive I realized I should have done something completely different. #18 was my favorite hole it is long but with 2 good shots and a putt you can make a 3 on it. This course will definitely challenge both your physical game and your mental game and that isn't a bad thing.

**Update: More benches installed so yo have a place to cry and collect yourself after each hole.

Perspective from a local

1    3/13/2011   3/13/2011
Review By: 5slamma
Pros: I live in Charlotte and this is the first time playing this course. This is an EXHAUSTING course that requires one to take their time. No quick matches - be sure you have extra time and patience to get through this one.

Tee Pads are all consistently made: about 10 feet long - this is plenty of space for most of us, never had to start my drive behind the pad. Love the tee at Hole 8 where you have the option of going right or left, and the pad is shaped to facilitate driving either direction.

Tee Signs/Maps/Markers - no map at some holes but not really a problem. Signage is overall excellent. Mandos, next tees, and distances all clearly marked.

No problems with foliage. We spent our share of time in the rough but no lost discs. That will certainly change in the Spring / Summer. I had a few spots where the briars were thick even in winter. I will approach this course with caution in the warm growth months.

Optimization of elevation is quite well done. Hole 18 has a tremendous valley where you drive downhill. I do like opportunities for longer drives like this hole provides. There are a few other similar ones but I'll always be able to picture 18 when I close my eyes - it's memorable.

Nice variety of shots required - fairways vary in direction, angle, length, and elevation where the game stays interesting.

The back 9 has beautiful scenery: creeks, bridges, walking paths. I was feeling great at holes 15-16. The airplanes were no longer overhead and it was peaceful. Good place to be.
Cons: Benches were missing where needed the most: just before and after the long par 4/5 holes. Funny there was a horseshoe field that had benches laid out at each throw point and we had to walk right by them knowing that our disc golf pad had none. I was jealous that the horseshoe throwers seemed to get more love than us.

Trash bins were missing from most of the front 9 holes. Back 9 had more trash receptacles but still not every hole.

Noise: Airplanes taking off overhead for most of the front 9 which was a nuisance. Also lots of cars w/ loud bass music driving by. Not the most serene or quiet of courses.

Hole 7 had some wicked nails and boards on the pair of trees just in front of the tee pad that scared the bejeezus outta me - I could see one of my nice discs getting impaled on a nail head, made me condiser throwing one of my less favorites just in case.
Other Thoughts: Course Flow: I was needing a major break after hole 9, but there was nothing but a few benches, another parking lot, and a long walk back to the car. I do hear some folks wrap back to the car after 12 but I think next time I might park in the lot at 9 and leave a cooler in the car, then walk back to start at 1 with the "warm-fuzzy" feeling of cold beer waiting before the back nine. This is very important for such a long course.

Overall challenge was extreme. This was a physically exhausting course. I'd never consider trying to play a quick match out here. You must take your time or you will lose discs and maybe even injure yourself if not careful.

Security: I would not leave any valuables in sight in your car. You shouldn't need me to tell you this. Thieves look for easy opportunities - don't give it to em.

I'm rating this course a 4.0 because it was still very fun - even with sore leg muscles, raw thighs, and the jet airplanes trying to disrupt my mojo.

Date: 11/6/2012 Designer Response by: 1978
The reviewer is correct however I can provide a little more detail.
Trash cans are permanent on holes 1, 3, 7, 11(moved to 12), 13, 15, 18. Biased by 1 to the back 9. The thought was that people would finish drinks more towards the back of the course. These are all the locations the park department was willing to empty and volunteer resources to empty additional cans have been unreliable.

Tough But Great

5+    11/7/2010   11/7/2010
Review By: terptwerp
Pros: This course will test your skills. The holes are very long and narrow. You can not relax on any of the holes, since almost every one requires total concentration.
Cons: If you end up more than 2 feet off the fairway, you are in big trouble. Unlike other courses where you can save a bad drive by making a good approach shot, you are likely to need 2-3 shots just to get back to the fairway. Removing a few trees from most of the holes would make it more fair.
Other Thoughts: This is a very tough course that will test your skills. It can be frustrating, but will provide a great challenge. It is also only a few miles from Hornets Nest, so you can play both courses if you are feeling ambitious.

NOT for the faint of heart

1    9/1/2010   9/1/2010
Review By: Jermy
Pros: OK, first, this course is CHALLENGING!
Very long, very technical, and very fun.
Concrete T-pads, some decent (handdrawn) signnage, and very thought out , long, layout
Cons: DIFFICULT, have i said its long yet?
NOT beginner friendly, this course will kick most seasoned player's asses (which is also a pro! )
Other Thoughts: Bottom line- this course is new, still a ton of work to be done on it. In it's current state it is very impressive and ambitious.
This course is definitely looking to be a gold level championship course, its still got a good deal of work that needs to be done, but so far so good.

The length and hole layout is going to challenge damn near anyone, normally I would count this sort of difficulty as a fault, but NC has SO many courses in this area that a course like this isn't going to inhibit anyone from learning the sport.

The course seems like the parks just gave people this forest and said have your way with it. You can literally see where they carved their way through the dense forest to make way for the fairways that make up this course. Definitely a must play for any serious disc'er

- also- see brotherdave's review! he hits the nail right smack center on the head. this course definitely wants to kick your ass and take your lunch money