Charlotte, NC
Nevin Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: 1978 Hole #17 (Taken 9/2010)

The King of Charlotte

5+    7/26/2015   7/29/2015
Review By: LastPageDG
Pros: This is my absolute favorite Charlotte area course. Nevin will bring out your best and worst qualities of your game. You get somewhat buttered up on holes 1 through 3 and then the survival game starts on holes 4 through 9. Holes 4 and 5 are designed for players who can bomb with accuracy or place a mid or fairway driver in the middle of the fairway. Pretty much the whole front 9 focuses on accuracy and smart play. Hole 7 is one of the most intimidating par 3's you'll encounter with a TIGHT gap off the box and a super death drop directly behind the basket.

The back starts with a decent birdie opportunity and on holes 11 and 12 you get to stretch the arm out with a few big pulls. 12 is an absolute beauty with a tee shot that takes you from a wide open bomb to a left turn in the woods. Hole 14 also gives you a chance to rip one but you'll be throwing through a double MANDO. Finishing out 15 though 18 gives you birdie and a couple of eagle chances as well.

You have a nice putting green to warm up on and parking is plentiful. There's no bathroom by the practice green but this is a huge complex and there are bathrooms throughout the park.

Nice sized concrete pads provide plenty of room to tee off and they are all in decent shape.

One more added bonus is the courses proximity to other amazing courses in the area such as RL Smith, Hornets Nest, Sugaw, Eastway and it's not too far from Renny.
Cons: Very few I noticed. The drop zone pad on hole 14 is pretty rough as far as pivoting on your throw and it's a little short.

The signage is a bit old and a little deceiving on some holes but it's not terrible.

Crime CAN be an issue although I've personally never had an incident, but hey, that can by anywhere you go.
Other Thoughts: The park itself is a beauty and you get some good scenery on holes 13 through 15 as you pass by. There are plenty of food options close by with it being close to I85 it makes it an awesome course to plan for any Charlotte trip.

Date: 7/30/2015 Designer Response by: 1978
Thanks for the review! Just noting that you seem to be commenting on the short layout since 16 is like one of the hardest holes and 1 long is difficult as well. Either way, thanks again.

Very Impressive

1    7/2/2015   7/5/2015
Review By: ajbova
Pros: Extremely challenging championship level course that is aimed towards advanced players. Requires not only power but accuracy. Beginners will struggle here as well as most intermediate level players.

From the start to the finish, this course is intimidating. Do not question yourself here or you will be in trouble.

Baskets - 18 grippy innova baskets that catch great. There is also a practice basket at the start of the course near the parking lot.

Tees - Each hole had at least one very long and grippy concrete tee. A few of the holes had a short tee: 1, 2, 3, 10, 12, 16, 17.

Variety: The entirety of this course was in the woods. Accuracy is required on every hole. The widest fairway was no wider than 25 feet (hole 18). The shortest hole was 202 feet while the longest was 970. There were elevation changes on almost every hole including several blind shots due to distance, woods, or a mix of all 3. No two holes here were the same. A few of the holes (3,7) had immediate drop offs so if you overshoot, you would be down hill.

Elevation: Being from Indiana, the elevation of this course really stood out to me.

Signs: There was a course board with info on the sport as well as a map at the start. Throughout the course there were arrows pointing you towards the next tee or tees if the hole had 2. Each tee sign included distance, par, and hole number (no map).

Course was very clean and well maintained. Trash cans/bags and benches at every hole allowed you to take a break. The course is long so it was a nice touch.

Very scenic and peaceful course. The paths through the woods from hole to hole were a plus in my opinion. Had no idea which direction I was facing while playing which was a plus.

Hard to save par meaning if you do not bring your A game, you will not have a good time.

Several signature holes.

Start and finish were near other. Looped around. Very spread out course. No two holes had bordering fairways.

Easy to navigate and easy to get to from the highway. Several nearby food options.

Markers along the fairways listing distance from the basket.
Cons: My biggest con for this course was the lack of a map on each tee sign. Several of the holes were 500+ feet and you could not see the basket from the tee. Signs would greatly enhance the course and would help for first time players who had no idea where the basket was. I felt as if I was blindly throwing down a tunnel in the woods and didn't know where the basket would be.

Each hole here should have a second tee. If you are going to have 7 alternate tees, might as well put them in on every hole. This would make the course more playable for intermediate level players.

A few signs pointing towards the basket would be a nice addition as well.

Poison ivy throughout course.
Other Thoughts: This was the first course I played on my trip to Charlotte and by far my favorite. I was definitely blown away. I would give it a 5 out of 5 if maps were added to the signs for each hole and if each hole got an alternate tee.

I would recommend this course to anyone looking for a challenge. It requires the best throw on every throw. Definitely a championship level course and the best course I have played to this day.

I would not recommend it to someone new to the sport. It would be way too challenging for them. There are several nearby options to build your game before coming here.

Date: 7/7/2015 Designer Response by: 1978
Thank you for the thoughtful review. Signage is in the works. This course will not get short tees. There are 5 intermediate level courses within 10 minutes. Nevin is for those people looking to challenge themselves. Unfortunately, we had to install a few short teepads for speed of play in major events. The course was designed for the long layout, if I were king, I would remove the shorts. With short tees comes rec players and trash, there are other more appropriate courses for them. Sugaw, Kilborne, RL Smith, Eastway, Bailey, Robbins are all close.

Left-hander bias?

1    4/29/2014   4/29/2014
Review By: luckless_pedestrian
Pros: Flat out awesome course. Like all good courses you need to be able to hit a variety of shots. It's long and beautiful and most of the time you're not aware of the other people in the park.
Cons: Playing with someone who can throw a decent forehand (I can't) I felt like Nevin set up a little better for him. Sour grapes? Probably.
Other Thoughts: You do have to hit the gaps. Missing can mean ping-ponging from one side of the fairway to the other. That's not really a con, just a fact. I can't wait to play there again.

My Friend Nevin is a Must Play!

1    4/20/2014   4/25/2014
Review By: sidewinder22
Pros: Cooly was sportin' black denim shoes, with 18 challenging holes, Discatcher baskets, multiple concrete tees, practice basket, nice tee signs, benches, trash cans and restrooms.
Dealing he was looking for something to use with par 3, 4, and 5's through long wooded fairways over some great terrain and elevation.
With a pistol in his pocket and a bottle of booze, he will take all shots in the bag and leave you feeling a bit light headed.
Well, it could be me or it could be you, he was fairly secluded from the rest of the park and easy to navigate.
Oh feels like my whole life is rearranged.
Oh Nevin you rule,
Nevin, Nevin, Nevin, Nevin you...
Oh how you rule,
Oh how you rule
Cons: Oh Nevin, I give you a hard time. Got out of jail just the very next day, you got Poison Ivy in the rough and that's about all.
Other Thoughts: Hooked on Nevin just the other day
Now he's down with the CIA
We got covert operation in Vietnam
Making hits and assasination he's long gone

He went down to protect his country
Eat Mexican food and makes lots o' money
Come back a God and drive a big white car
And take himself a plane down to Nicaragua
Well it feels like I'm the only one to blame.

Oh Nevin you rule
Nevin, Nevin, Nevin, Nevin you
Oh how you rule.

I give you a hard time, did want to stay
Got outta jail just the very next day
It's plain to see my friend Nevin is a Must Play!
He was a Must Play yeah, yeah, yeah!

Out my window cool and bright
Day so slowly into night
Funny how other things look the same
Now that my friend Nevin rules!

Date: 4/28/2014 Designer Response by: 1978
Thanks for your review...but on its format I'll have to stew. :-)

Great course - challenging

1    12/4/2013   12/4/2013
Review By: pfpro
Pros: - Great variety of short and long. Good mixture throughout the course (not all shorts or longs are bunched together). It did not feel like holes were crammed in to get 18 holes.
- Great directional signage between holes. The course was designed with a nice flow, but the signs and arrows made it super easy.
- Many holes had multiple tees. The longs were definitely more challenging, and the par score reflects that. I played the longs for most (until I got to the last 3 holes, and some locals were playing the shorts, and I didn't want to get locked in the park).
- Nice big teepads. Many holes had benches. There were garbage cans or bags at most (if not all) holes.
- Really nice use of the elevation changes - not super dramatic, but it wasn't a flat course.
- Pin placement (thinking 3 and 7 specifically) reward a good approach. If you are short, and your putt goes long, you are looking at least a 3-putt.
- Many of the holes had distance markers on trees or stumps so you know how far away the basket is - nice little touch.
Cons: These are very minor cons, but since we have this field to fill out....
- one that the designers have no control over is the fact that the park locks down - so you are confined to park hours. Not a big deal, but if I want to disc-golf at 6 am, why should I have to wait for anyone to unlock a gate?
- the teepad signs are a little lacking. They did show distances, and a flight path, but there were no landmarks, just an arrow. (I didn't see the ones that are shown in the photographs on this site - maybe they were under the ones on the posts). On a positive note, they clearly outlined what was OB for each hole.
Other Thoughts: This review is written from the perspective of one who passes through. If it were my home course, the teepad signs wouldn't' be an issue. I played this course starting in the late afternoon and finishing in the twilight in the late fall, so I'm sure my experience was rushed. I look forward to playing this course again! I did stick mainly to mids (because I have a pink FLX buzzz) because of the visibility concern with leaves - and it allowed me to sacrifice some distance but stay in the fairway and chase par - it was a learning experience for me for playing within game, and I recommend it. Most of the wooded holes are pretty tight. Not so much like the Kilborne wooded feel (where the fairways are "vast"). There is a short run of open holes in the middle of the back nine. My three favorite holes: 18 - kind of an "epic" finish - downhill following a utility line opening, across a creek and back up to the pin. 14 - hit the double mando, but keep it low so you get under the tree - then you can bomb across the field. 7 - short hole - if you overshoot the teeshot, you are down in a 30' ravine. As I said before, I look forward to playing this course again. BTW, read the hole notes from the course designer (saw them as I was doing this review) - they definitely show how to theoretically (my arm doesn't always do what my brain wants it to do....) run the course. This is a great course - get out and play it!

best course in north charlotte

5+    4/25/2013   4/26/2013
Review By: jyoung927
This review was updated on 2/24/2014
Pros: -demands accuracy
-requires a variety of shots. if you can only throw RHBH, you probably can't play here.
-keeps away the riffraff (one year ago, this was me!)
-great elevation useage
-multiple options for getting to a basket
Cons: -demands accuracy
-requires a variety of shots.
-the rough is EXTREMELY rough, and the dead leaves don't seem to disintegrate, rather they just keep piling up. super easy to lose discs here
Other Thoughts: this is probably my favorite course in the charlotte area, and there are a LOT of courses in the area. i love woods courses, i love elevation change, i love when courses offer multiple routes to a basket, and this course has all of that.
unless you can throw straight as an arrow, and LONG, then you probably want to steer clear of nevin, especially during silkworm season. -temporarily (i see the designer mentioned 2 weeks) this place is borderline unplayable due to the billions of silkworms. i know it's a problem all over charlotte, but none of the other courses i've played this week were anywhere near this bad.

-i lost one of my favorite discs (white star starfire, 163g) on #5. a beautiful flick nicked a tree and bounded right. i spent probably an hour looking for it, but between the laughably rough rough and the sea of silkworm webs, it wasn't to be found.

(05.17.13) update: the course is back to being web-free ish, so get out and throw some bombs. also, much thanks to jim for returning the disc i lost. that's always appreciated

(02.24.14) UPDATE - hate to say it, but i'm gonna steer clear of nevin for a while. i know it's not in the greatest section of town, but i figured on a busy weekend, mid-day, my car would be safe for an hour and a half or so. unfortunately, that's not the case. sometime between 4-5:30 on sat, feb 22, someone busted my front passenger's window and stole the gf's purse, which was stuffed under the front seat. GD i hate people. that's all. just be careful out there, and don't leave any valuables in plain sight. even then, it may not matter :-/

Technical difficulty

2-4    4/20/2013   4/20/2013
Review By: Bennybennybenny
This review was updated on 5/16/2013
Pros: -I loved Nevin park! It's 340 acres. It has a few baseball fields, horseshoe pits, picnic shelters, multi purpose trail, a few playgrounds, bocce ball courts, shuffle board courts, soccer fields and the best of all, a challenging disc golf course. The course was extremely technical and difficult for me but I still had fun.
-LONG teepads. A chance in a foot fault is 1/10 chance.
-It's a shame most disc golf courses don't end like #18 does. #18 is the best finishing hole in Charlotte (Barely beating #18 at RL Smith.) #18 has about a 40 foot drop in elevation with the creek at the bottom of the hill. Then, it rises about 20-25 feet. The woods to the left are pretty light but to the right, they are pretty thick. Even though it's pretty wooded, you can still grip it and rip it.
-Good use of elevation on the course, #18 definitely was hilly. On most holes, the elevation is pretty good. The first few holes have elevation changes of about 10 feet.
-The course is very technical but 13 and 14 are mostly open. #12's teeshot is open but it goes into the woods. The woods will still make you better.
-#12 is another great hole. The drive is nicely downhill and it goes left into the woods. It's the longest on the course but with the teeshot, you have a change to throw a nice drive into the woods and lay up for a par. A birdie would be lucky because it's pretty narrow in the woods. This hole get no love :(, and this is a really fun hole!
-Course has great variety, like the aforementioned elevation, on the short pads it has five doglegs and a double dogleg (#5), so six holes are doglegs. On the longs it has eight doglegs. A few dropoffs, a bunch of long holes and a few short ones, and a couple open holes.
-Trash cans on almost every hole. I only saw one bottle beside a teepad, a bud light bottle. Most courses have a bit more trash. Bencheson most holes too.
-The new #11 was also unique. The teeshot was wooded and 240" feet past the tee, it's still pretty wooded but it's another majestic hole.
-Practice basket in the woods. #1 is across the street from the practice basket.
-Arrows pointing you to the next tee for the longer transitions.
Cons: -The course was like a temporary home for caterpillars and spiders. Spider webs were everywhere. My parents and little sister wouldn't stop complaining about it and I don't blame them. I wish I brought pesticide. This is only temporary.
-#9 was a bit over the top for me. It's very wooded and very long. I never had a tee shot in the fairway so I would have to just throw a twenty foot shot out of the trees just to be safe. Still, I did say this course is for advanced players.
-#14's mando gate is irritating. It's not very wide, I considered it irritating because it didn't feel like a mando gate because the mando pointing left is about 15' behind the mando pointing you right. It's used to protect the horseshoe pits and the neighborhood. The first round I made it though but not the second round. This is just my opinion, I think it's frustrating.
-This didn't bring down my rating but it can be a little hard to find the first hole. This place has two parking lots, go to the further one, find the opening in the woods where the practice basket is and cross the road.
-That's about it except that it's not in the best part of town. A cop was there but I didn't see any too shady looking.
Other Thoughts: -This is definitely a hard course in Charlotte but I enjoyed it when I would be in trouble because it makes the hole interesting and challenging. This course is not for beginners. It requires long throws and straight throws. It's extremely demanding. I know people say Renaissance is the hardest but I think that this is the toughest in Charlotte, but I loved it. Every hole can result in very high numbers. Even #2 and #13 and those are pretty easy but if you are not in the fairway, you have to work for a par.
-Every hole is unique in it's own way, I know I say #9 is a bit over the top for me but it's the hardest on the course. It's still interesting and I will say that every moment you spend playing disc golf is worth it.
-#7 would be the "love it or hate it" hole. It's 202 feet long but has a four foot gap to throw through. For a hole with a small gap, I think it has the appropriate distance. Some people will expect themselves to birdie a short hole but it's bogeyed, a lot.
-Every hole can make you or break you here. You will have to play it wisely. Look at the fairway, debate whether you should risk going for a birdie or play it safely and make a par. Going for it on this course can really hurt your score. An example of going for it would be #2 and #13. #2 is a short uphill ace run with a pretty wide fairway, #13 is an open uphill shot and after 200' feet, there is no vegetation to the left. An example of playing safely would be the aforementioned #7, #9 is very tight with an elevation gain of about 15 feet. #16 is a hole where you want to throw about 180' from the short, 350' from the long so you can make a birdie. OB is marked along the creek so if you over throw, your shot is OB.
-The reason why my title is called technical difficulty is because the course is very technical and very difficult.
-This course deserves a 4.5. I LOVE IT!! But the spiderwebs and caterpillars all around the course are a problem. Still, this is one of the best in Charlotte, some say it's THE best. Just go out and play this if you are ready. Send me a message if you want to know more.

Date: 4/29/2013 Designer Response by: 1978
Thanks for your review Benny. Hole 14 is double Mando to protect fields to left (volley ball, bocce ball, picnics, and right; peoples yards. Everyone dislikes certain holes. Hole 9 plays about middle of the pack a little less than +.5 strokes over par. 12 is the toughy +1.25 and 15 the easy one at -.25.

Silk Worms - This is a 2-week problem experienced in any wooded area (including city streets) in Charlotte. I dont remember the worms being this bad. I think the cold winter delayed gradual hatching of the worms and they all came out together. It has been insane, every where, their pooping sounded like rain at Bradford and HN this weekend.

Insert Title Here

1    3/20/2013   3/20/2013
Review By: New013
This review was updated on 4/4/2013
Pros: (see rant below)
Cons: (see rant below)
Other Thoughts: If you've read my reviews before you're already thinking this is a bit unorthodox, but for all intents and purposes I can't review Nevin like I do every other course... I just have to rant.

We live in a world where nothing is black and white, everything is in this space of grey. Is it good is it bad; who knows what the truth of anything is anymore?

Well in the world of disc golf I can usually tell you how I feel about a course when I'm leaving, for me that is black and white. The only time when a course isn't black and white is when I think... eh... and that usually means it's not that great.

Well Nevin is a different breed of course, it's definitey not eh and it's not black or white either; not for me at least. I can tell you a lot of things I love about Nevin followed by reasons why I don't want to go back and play it.

When people describe Nevin they use words like 'brutal' or 'unfair'; personally I disagree with that sentiment. Is it difficult? Yes. Is it unforgiving? Yes. If you walk up to one of the long par 4's and say yeah I can put my driver way up there and then nail a tree 50' up the fairway and kick in to the rough you're going to have a bad time. If you go for a green with the thought in mind that you're going to put it right beside the pin you might end up down a 50' hill wondering what just happened. That's Nevin.

There are no unfair holes here, in fact ample space is given on every hole to get a shot up to where you need to be to proceed. You could probably take a putter out here and shoot par if you keep it straight... but who does that?

The fun part of Nevin is thinking for a milisecond you can make that shot and then taking the ass kicking it hands out. It has this effect that makes it seem doable before you realize you should of played it safe. That's why I don't get the complaints, you chose the path youre walking down.

There's not many holes here that ask you to shape a disc in some amazing way to score well. You'll get a lot straighter shots and from the shorts this course is open to getting in the red. Though honestly if you're going to Nevin what's the point of playing the shorts. It's meant to be what it is and that's a true test of not only your physical game but your mental game.

You're going to end up in trouble here, you're going to take a few lumps the question Nevin asks is how are you going to handle it? Are you going to complain and say it's just not fair or are you going to stand up and say FU Nevin I'm coming for you.

I don't know if I want to go back and play Nevin, personally I don't think the front nine is all that fun but the back nine for me is really fun and the entire thing weaves through a really great park. The most telling thing about Nevin is both times I've been out there I've seen very few other people out there playing it because the chuckers steer far clear of it.

Though maybe that is the saving grace for an extremely well designed course. Yeah it starts off with some non-inspiring holes but by the end if you birdied one of the "brutal" holes you look back and say I did that. For one moment in time I conquered a little part of something not meant to be conquered.

So maybe I do go back, my one memory of my entire chucking discs out of the rough hoping it lands back in the fairway trip to Nevin was I had a pretty good look for 3 on 17 long, it's a par 5 if you've never been there it's not an easy one. I want that 3... and one day I'll get it.

End rant.

Date: 4/5/2013 Designer Response by: 1978
You need to go back to get that 3 on 17 AND the 3 on 5. Hope you enjoyed the new 11. Someday I'll upgrade #2 for you.

Keeps getting better

1    12/28/2012   12/28/2012
Review By: PanicKJ
Pros: Lots of variety. Very challenging. This course will bring out all the tricks you have in your bag. You feel like you are at a disc golf course only as the course is separated from the baseball fields. Great use of elevation. The fairways, in general, are proportionately fair to the length of the hole. This is a must play in the Charlotte area. I do not have the time to write a book report here, but you need to know that this is one of the best courses in NC.
Cons: Hole 7

Maybe if the surrounding area around the front wasn't so thick it wouldn't chap my ass so bad but when I play this hole I always get a 2 or a 5 depending on if I hit the gap.
Other Thoughts: Every time I play Nevin there is something new, I look forward to playing when I am in town. I hope that eventually there will be a par 72 layout. The new hole 11 is a great improvement over the short version, I would not shed a tear if the old short hole never came back. I did not like the road playing ob on that hole. Any complaints that I may have had in the earlier versions of this course have been improved upon already.

Never Never Land

5+    7/23/2012   7/23/2012
Review By: #19325
Pros: Nevin is an absolutely fantastic heavily wooded course. It has tight lines and rolling hills. If you want to learn how to play control golf this is the pace to do it.

Just like the other Charlotte courses there is an option to play an easier layout with the short tees or just get absolutely pouded by playing the longest layout. The long layout is just NASTY!! The options are limitless out there.

Brand new Innova Discatchers with a practice basket near the parking lot.

Tee signs are on every tee pad. There are also distance markers on trees in the center of the fairway. Sick!

Awesome concrete tee pads for both the shorts and longs.

Navigation was pretty easy on this course.

There are some awesome professional par 4's and 5's on this course. A great example is hole 1. From the short tee it's a rather routine par 3. From the long tee it goes to a very difficult par 4. Hole #5 is just a nasty par 5.

Even a routine 202 foot hole here is great. Hole #7 has a tight gap to hit then a just nasty drop off behind the basket.

There is a great variety of distances on this course. You'll have to use pretty much every shot to score well here.

Hole 18 is a great finish to the course!
Cons: More descriptive tee signs would be good here.

No chance to stop by the parking lot while playing.

There are very few chances to just open up and rip a driver.

Beginners are going to struggle on this course.
Other Thoughts: I love this kind of golf. You have to manage this course and keep the disc in the fairway. If you make a mistake on this course it's very difficult to make up for it.

Just like other Charlotte courses the park is just awesome.Lots of other activities and restrooms. Charlotte has some of the best courses in the world!

Date: 11/9/2012 Designer Response by: 1978
The donor of the tee signs (Alan Beaver - Mecklenburg County Parks and Recreation) did not provide for more descripive permanent tee signs. Care is made to provide replaceable hand drawn laminated signs that may or may not be destroyed. Versions of these are visible in the course photos area. Course is still under re-design and expensive signs are not feasible at this time.