Charlotte, NC
Nevin Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: 1978 Hole #15 (Taken 9/2010)

1 2 3 4 5 Next >
 new beast in charlotte

5+    1/20/2010   1/25/2010
Review By: hogleggbob
Pros: brand new concrete tee pads, brand new discatchers. in a great park with tons of land, with plenty of elevation. one of two new courses in the charlotte area(elon long). a real test for advanced to pro caliber players. accuracy is a must here, tight fairways leave very little room for errant shots. alot of par 4 holes and the few par 3 holes are tough.
Cons: there are alot of holes in the ground from rotted trees. they are slowly being filled in, but you must keep your eyes on where you step. or you could hurt yourself. a few of the transitions are a little soggy, but we have had alot of rain lately, so not that big of a con.
Other Thoughts: there are at least 4-5 holes that would be considered signature holes on any other course. it is winter, so the fairways are a little more forgiving, cant wait til spring to see the difference in difficulty. mark and matt have busted some major ass to get this course where it is now, they deserve alot of credit. nevin is across the highway from hornets nest, so if you want play multiple rounds at different courses,... i consider it a plus

Within a year this course will be a 4 with teesigns, maintenance issues resolved, and concrete pads installed.

1    1/20/2010   1/20/2010
This review was updated on 2/18/2010
Pros: 1) Concrete teepads are going to be poured very soon. I think this coming weekend so I will give them some leeway since I played them with the gravel filled frames in place.

2) If you want a challenge come here!!! This is the most difficult and least forgiving course in Charlotte and quite possibly the second least forgiving course I have played to date (only to Jack McLean in Tallahassaa). I like a challenge no matter how hard it is, that is how you learn.

3) This course is set on yet another incredible Mecklenberg county park. Everyone of these courses and parks are incredible. They are clean, they have tons and tons of things to do and they are simply put a jewel to the already kick butt city of Charlotte. I could spend a day in everyone of their parks! Come on bocceball, horseshoes and shuffleboard. If that isn't an excuse to hang out at the park all day!

4) Next tee signs are helpful for navigation on this newer course.

5) Tee signs are present and although a little crude they do help out on the teepad. I am sure they will be top notch signs by the time this course is fully installed. I am giving them the benefit of the doubt because of this county parks departments record.

5) It is obvious the local club does a lot for this course as with all the other local parks. One of the main guys was there on a rainy day getting some timber in place for a retaining wall.

6) Playing this course is like a wonderful walk int he woods. It is so secluded from the outside world. Sure you might run into some walkers but you won't hear any street noise, and you may not see any vehicles for the majority of this course. I enjoy courses like this.

7) Many of the stumps and roots (trippers) have been flagged or painted so you do not break an ankle while playing. This is a positive but the true best way to handle these would be to take a brush hog and cut those things flush with the ground.

8) Mandos are used effectively to force a specific line on a few holes. These are not used for safety they are instead used for intentional hole design.

9) Ribbon is used to help you guide yourself from hole to hole. It is nice that they have done such things to help ease navigation since the course is new and everyone is playing it for the first time.

10) Discatchers in great condition because they are brand new. The yellow band is key for this course because finding the basket on a double dogleg 600' hole can be tough sometimes!

11) There are multiple signature holes on this course. There is only one throwaway hole: Hole #13. That one just isn't scenic, it is pretty straight forward and there is no risk/reward. All the other holes have trouble to avoid, shot shaping to consider, and other trouble to avoid.

12) Shot distances vary throughout the course. You will need many different discs and you will need to be accurate with them so do not be afraid to throw midranges if that is what will get you to the doglegs etc.
Cons: 1) Course is still very new so it is rough in spots and will need to wear in a little bit. It is obvious that the local crew will help make this course as good as it can be. There are spots of the course that need some cleanup. Downed branches, thick shule areas close to the fairways, and areas that simply need to receive a little attention. There also are a few areas that have junk piles. There is a rotary and pushbutton phone cemetary in on spot on the course and 2 or 3 other times I noticed piles of junk (not plant material, I mean garbage, cans, etc). They may have a plan to pick this things up and the are simply in a pile to make the cleanup easier. These are all things that I put into one category because the course is so new I didnt think it would be fair to leave in the review. I will update this review when I hear that these issues have been taken care of or if I return next year. I do however think they are worth mentioning for the time being.

2) Not beginner friendly at all. There are way too many tight wooded holes of extreme distance. This combination makes this course virtually unusable for beginners without serious frustration. It might even be frustrating for advanced players.

3) There is a long walk to Hole #1 and from Hole #18 back to the lot. This isn't a huge issue, but worht mentioning.

4) Teesigns are a little crude so hopefully they do replace them with nice descriptive signs. This course needs a diagram for sure!!!

5) Walking path OB's seem to be a little bit unfair. They are what would normally be a fairway and I understand they may use it for safety, but a couple of the areas are simply not forgiving at all.

6) Hole #14 has an area that looks to be a dump for the maintenance department. Just another one of those things that will change eventually but hopefully be one of the many things the club will attack after they get the teepads poured and can focus on conditioning.

7) No benches or garbage cans yet. I again am sure this will change overtime.

8) I played this course after a lot of rain the night before. It did pretty well but there are areas on the course that certainly can retain some water. Also a few areas that could use some steppers or planks to get across some wet areas.
Other Thoughts: Worth mentioning is that Hole #18 is going to be changing. I have a feeling it was becoming an issue that you end up throwing across the road. Some people in cars either have complained or gotten hit.

Please take this review with a grain of salt considering I am an out of towner and although I hope to come back next year again for another few days. I will only be able to update this review after I return, but it hopefully has some information that will be helpful for the next few months.

I have rated this course according to what I saw when I played 1/17/2010. I am sure it will be a 4 rated course by the time I return next year or the yer after and I will most certainly adjust my rating. I want to represent the course as it stands right now, but will certainly want to adjust the rating as the course gets broken in more and more and more playable. I also can tell the structure of the course is there and it will be an incredible course, so I am being somewhat lenient with my rating. I do not want to give it a 3 which is what I would give it in its current state. I am raising the rating to 3.5 because I am sure the things I have mentioned will be worked on in short order. If everything gets improved and taken care of this course could be as high as a 4.5 in my opinion.

I highly recommend playing if you liek a challenge but if you get easily frsutrated maybe you should skip this course or you might give yourself some health issues. It is tough and long, but seems to be fair, but the more and more play that comes the less luck you will need and you can focus on just using your skill to execute the shots. Have a good time but be prepared fro some bogies, doubles, and worse. I only had one birdie and I had two 6's. That is surely a tough course.

UPDATE: I upgraded the course to a 4 from the sound of it all the concrete is in, tee signs are up, and it seems to have received the work that was close when I was there. I am updating this from 3.5 to 4.0 because those were the things I wanted to see to give the course a 4.0. If I return next year I bet it will be a borderline 4.5 course like I have said.

5+    1/7/2010   1/12/2010
Review By: heelboycraig
This review was updated on 11/14/2012
Pros: Nevin is one of the most challenging, longest courses around. It's going to humble even the best of players, but also make you want to come back for more. It challenges you both physically and mentally:
- Physically: Accuracy and distance are both a premium here. Lots of walking; long rounds, even when playing solo, rounds have been taking me about an hour and a half. By comparison, I can play a solo round at Hornets Nest in about an hour. Also, your endurance will be challenged by lots of walking; long rounds, even if playing solo. You better come prepared, especially once the hot weather rolls around.
- Mentally: There are very few holes where you can relax, unwind and just throw. On almost every hole, you're throwing tee shots, not as much for distance, but to set up your next shot(s). You have to put bad holes behind you because this course will humble you. You don't want one bad hole snowballing into a stretch of bad holes.
- Course has some tight fairways. As difficult as the course can be in the winter, when there are no leaves on trees, it's going to play even harder in the spring and summer.
- Nevin forces you to be a better player. Any weakness in your game will get exposed here. Your tee shots fade too much at the end? You'll be deep in the woods on almost every shot? Can't putt (like me)? There goes any chance for birdie. Can't throw far? You'll be spending extra throws just to get to the pin on the long holes.
- Course has a bunch of great, creative holes. A lot of holes at Nevin would be the signature/most challenging hole at other courses; here it's just another hole. For example, everyone who's played Hornets Nest knows #12 - 638 foot, dogleg right par 5. At Nevin, holes #5, 6, 10, 16 & 17 are all at the same level, or close to the same level as #12 at Hornets. Even a hole like #1 - 491 foot long, narrow hole with a downhill, dogleg right basket, which I think is a great hole, easily gets overlooked at this course.
- The course has a good variety of hole-layouts, non-open holes excluded. Doglegs both directions (both severe and gradual doglegs); straight holes, open baskets; tightly guarded baskets; holes with good elevation changes (by Charlotte standards) both up and down.
- Park has lots of other amenities - baseball & soccer fields, playground, picnic shelters, walking trails, horseshoe pits and even bocce ball and shuttle board. The park is nicely laid out into different areas - ball fields and disc golf all the way to the back; playground, bocce ball and shuffleboard in another; and picnic shelters in the front.
Cons: These first two items will contract my pros and are not negatives for me nor do they affect my rating. I'm just mentioning them so people know what to expect before playing. That said:
- This course can get frustrating. As stated, this course is meant to be a difficult, pro-level course and is not for beginners. Still, this course has almost no reprieve. When things are going good, it's fun tackling one tough hole after another. When things are going bad, it's easy to dread one tough hole after another.
- Narrow fairways will frustrate others. On some holes, there's thick underbrush/trees/plants, right along the fairway. Miss here and you could spend lots of time searching for your disc. The lost disc factor here is definitely higher than normal, so plan accordingly when you throw.
- The lack of open holes will also frustrate some people. #11 is relatively open, but it's under 300, so not smart to grip-n-rip here. #12 is open, for the first half, before playing through the woods. #14 is in an open field, but you first have to clear a mando between two trees.
- Parts of course seem to remain muddy long after it rains. This may be a "new course" issue or it could be a bigger drainage issue. The most notable areas are along parts of #15 & 16.
- Tee signs need to be upgraded. I'm a fan of Mark and his hand-drawn signs, but I'm guessing real signs will be an improvement and appreciated by more people.
- No amenities in the disc-golf portion of the park. You don't pass a water fountain and/or drink machine while playing, so you'd have to stop in another part of the park before or after your round. There's a bathroom near hole #13, which is opened year-round, and one near #9, which is only in spring & summer.
- Lots of long walks throughout course. Not an issue on the front 9, but there are some considerable walks on back 9. Also course doesn't loop back to parking lot after #9, so you can't easily start on #10 to play back 9. Because the course is so spread out there are no easy/natural places to skip holes if needed.
Other Thoughts: Nevin ranks right up there with Renaissance as the two toughest courses I've played. I might give this a slight nod simply because this course is more wooded than Renny.
- Toughest doesn't always equal fun, so not everyone is going to like this 18-hole marathon. I equate extremely difficult courses with the U.S. Open. Rounds at the Open are always a grind and you see the top golfers struggling/being overwhelmed with the course. Instead of shooting 20 under, like they do at the John Deere Classic, golfers are shooting par at best.
- Know what you're getting yourself into before playing this course. Don't expect a lot of birdies and be happy with pars. Don't beat yourself here by wasting strokes with foolish shots. You'll already find yourself scrambling enough throughout the round, so don't add to it.
- The course has a bunch of great holes, it's hard for me to pick one. I love the design of the downhill/drop-off holes - #1, 3, 7 & 16 and how the play. #1 & 16 are both long downhill doglegs. If you don't keep your shot low, it will go sailing offline as the fairway curves away. #3 & 7 both have big drop-offs right behind the basket. What may appear to be a great tee shot or putt could end up 50 feet past the hole.
- Nevin gets added love for its location and convenience. It's 3 minutes from I-77, 5 minutes from Hornets Nest, and 10 minutes from Sugaw Creek. You can easily knock out the 3 courses with little drive time. In terms of proximity and quality of courses, Nevin and Hornets Nest is the best 1-2 combination in town. You're not going to find 2 better, tougher courses in Charlotte so closely located, which is perfect for out-of-towners. In the Charlotte-region, only Winthrop's 2 course layouts - Gold and Lakefront - are on the same level of location and quality for courses.
- This is a definite must-play for all DGers. You might not like the course layout, but at least you'll have to appreciate the difficulty this course offers for 18 straight holes.

Great Course

1    1/6/2010   1/10/2010
Review By: tabascobh
Pros: Great Course for Charlotte, It reminds me of the back nine at Hornest nest with a Renny flare. Go play it and have fun
Cons: A little raw right now but in time it will smooth itself out with foot traffic
Other Thoughts: Another great course from Stan and Co.

What a gem

1    12/27/2009   12/28/2009
Review By: hunter
Pros: This is one of the toughest courses that Charlotte has to offer. It is up there with Renny Gold and the Web.

You are tested right from the start with a tough par 4. Most of the front 9 is in the woods. There is a good mix of elevation and mixture of shots. You must have a sidearm on some of these holes (or a good turnover shot). Although it is still new (played it just after Xmas), the fairways are still fair, especially on the drives for the par 4's and par 5's. It gets more technical on these holes for your 2nd and 3rd shots. The greens utilize the elevation really well (some "putt of deaths"). The back nine opens up a little more, but when it does you must keep your disc in play (cart paths and double mando). The finishing holes were really tough (16 and especially 17) with accuracy being a must.
Cons: The course is still new so the tee boxes are not poured yet (but they were framed and were filled with gravel - i only slipped once). Once the concrete is poured, it will be money. The signs gave you the yardage and an idea of where the basket is. We had no problem in finding the next tee from the basket as there were trees and flags leading you.

If you got off the fairway, there were some thick areas. This is def. not a beginner course. Some of the approaches on the par 5's were a little tight. When the club focuses their attention on this course, it will be top notch.
Other Thoughts: This is my first review of a course on this website, and I am from Virginia. I have played alot of courses in both states (and plan on to start reviewing the ones I've played), but this course has inspired me to start my DGCR reviews. I also played the Elon course and thought that this one was a little better, so I gave it a 4 now with 4.5 around the corner.

Score : -1 (65)

Early Nevin after a lot of rain

1    12/14/2009   12/15/2009
Review By: thebear021980
This review was updated on 4/19/2010
Pros: Nice course with fair but challenging fairways. Nice use of distance without constantly having to heave a driver, good mix of control drives with a couple of tough long drives, generally it was a nice day in the woods playing DG. Oh yeah, and the par 3's were fun and tough, I also liked the unique hole designs (the us eof some right angles and dog-legs. I am a player who usually "goes for it", I didn't here and it payed off. This course demands control.
Cons: all of my previous cons have been fixed with continued construction, not to mention all the holes that have changed recently did so for the BETTER
Other Thoughts: solid, very fun course

Hit your line or else

1    11/14/2009   11/14/2009
Review By: 1978
This review was updated on 3/1/2012
Pros: This course will be one of the most challenging in Charlotte. Fairways will be mostly wooded. The par 4's require at least 1 technical shot where you have to hit a line. Many of the par 3's have some pretty good risk and reward. Nevin will challenge you to use almost every shot you can think of. Very balanced course. The par 4's will have 1 shape shot off the tee then a different shape for the upshot. This will be a great course to challenge the charlotte Pro's and favor accuracy over length. Some of the holes here are absolutly beautiful. There aren't any courses in Charlotte that have the large hardwood forest like you see here. Leaves are going to be the disc swallowers; not thorns and vines.

Although you may not realize it there are 3 bathroom areas spaced evenly around the park (near holes 1, 6/8, 13) and can be reached from the course.
Hand drawn tee signs have been added to every hole to aid in direction.
Cons: I do not think that this will be a beginner or Am friendly course for a long time, they might continue to just play Hornets Nest. Woods can be thick and gaps tight but they are fair. This course doesn't make a perfect figure 8;you cant just play 9. Once you are started you basically have to play 12 hole or 6 hole loops. 1-12 or 13-18. After playing with a bunch of lefty's I think I might say it is a righty friendly course.
Other Thoughts: Nevin DGC uses an entire rim of a large wooded sports complex. Most of the transitions are under 100 ft. There are a few though that are a little lengthy but take you through pretty woods. At a par 68 now, it will be expanded in the future. It will also be part of the 2012 Worlds Rotation. When the original design was updated to a par 68 righty hyzers were needed. We might have added a few too many especially on the harder holes. All the par 5's start with a righty hyzer. I throw forehand and I actually use that shot instead. If you dont have a flip hyzer or a turnover backhand as a lefty some of the harder holes are even harder. 5,10, 17, 15, 11. With this being said; second and third shots on the par 5's favor lefty's but usually its the first impression that counts.

1 2 3 4 5 Next >