Charlotte, NC
Nevin Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: 1978 Hole #17 (Taken 9/2010)
Hole #17 Approach

Needs a little work...

1    3/29/2010   3/29/2010
Review By: davidadam1
Pros: Well marked course, with yardage markers in fairways. Good design, no backtracking or fairway crossing. Course ends where it begins which is nice. It is obvious that the guys in charge of this course care about it and will make the necessary improvements, I look forward to playing it again. This could honestly become one of my favorite courses in Charlotte.
Cons: Several fairways are too narrow for the distance. Mandos on holes 12 and 14 are tricky with the wind and distance from tee pad. As I am not a pro, throwing 250 feet and then making my disc turn at a 90 degree angle is impossible (i.e. hole 17). Very challenging uphill holes, make sure you are in shape.
Other Thoughts: Tee Signs need improvement especially with marking long tees and short tees but that will come with time and money. Possibly more trash cans and more benches, I only remember seeing one all day.

Challenge Yourself

1    3/20/2010   3/22/2010
Review By: rpitt08
Pros: Location: 1 mile off the highway.
Design: Featuring both lefty and righty holes. There are a couple of holes that can be 2'd.
Challenging: Lots of par fours and harder. Wooded and long.
Navigation Friendly: Tee signs at every hole. Easy to navigate. Fairways are clearly defined making it easy for a first time course player to throw toward the basket on a long hole where basket can not be seen from the tee.
Other Thoughts: Fantastic work designing and building this gem of a course. One of the best and most challenging I've played. On par with the Jackson course at IDGC.

the final frontier...

1    2/24/2010   2/24/2010
Review By: albert8fish
Pros: Today I took bogeys on almost all holes, and still had a great time.This park is massive, and so is the course.It was raining and the ground was playdough, but I was there to scope out the new beast that everyone is raving about, by myself, with no one else around. Whole round went smooth thanks to the arrows and signs.(from #9 to #10 there is an unused tee pad in the fairway of ten dont let it fool ya, go down the hill to the stream for #10 tee pad)All in all it is a tech course with mid-range disc control a prerequisite, a true game of golf is played at Nevin, not an ace run course.
That is the future of this sport and Stan and CDGC are ushering it in big time with this amazing course.
Cons: Be in shape, or pay the price.I carry 22 discs when I play, I would like to think I have everything I need for my Charlotte courses.This course slapped me across the face when I realized I have so few under stable discs in my bag.I throw mostly side-arm so I have an array of stability, but today I could have used an under stable driver for backhand finesse shots.This course demands concentration like no other in the area, if you can't shape a shot you will not like this course at first.I used a max weight Mako today half way through the round and started getting my game back.Great course for training your arm to do exactly as you wish, because if you falter for one shot you will be looking at bogeys galore.
Other Thoughts: This is Renny's conservative old crotchety grandfather.
Some holes have flashy trick shot shortcuts, but very few.Where Renaissance will make obvious big steep elevation changes, Nevin will trick you with elevation and pinpoint accurate distance. I was expecting a pro level course like Hornets Nest but I got a glimpse at the future of our sport and course design instead Can't wait for a dry day, all of us here in the disc golf mecca of Charlotte have been building and playing these new courses in slop all winter.Thank you CDGC, and all who keep our courses clean and playable.

Very Tight

1    12/14/2009   2/3/2010
Review By: _.-Dut-._
This review was updated on 2/26/2010
- Very challenging course that offers a great variety of shots.
- Well taken care of course, especially for how new it is. Concrete teepads, fairways are well defined, alternate routes on several holes.
- Next tee signs and clear cut paths make this course easy to navigate.
- Great use of Mandos and elevation
The course is new and hasnt been "worn" in yet. There is no cons I noticed that dont appear to be working themselves out quickly.
Other Thoughts: Very tough course but fair. Fairways require accuracy to score well and offer a varirty of lines. A few holes have alternate paths that let you decide between forehand/backhand hyzer/anhyzer. The course is well worth making a trip to see and will only get better as it ages.

new beast in charlotte

5+    1/20/2010   1/25/2010
Review By: hogleggbob
Pros: brand new concrete tee pads, brand new discatchers. in a great park with tons of land, with plenty of elevation. one of two new courses in the charlotte area(elon long). a real test for advanced to pro caliber players. accuracy is a must here, tight fairways leave very little room for errant shots. alot of par 4 holes and the few par 3 holes are tough.
Cons: there are alot of holes in the ground from rotted trees. they are slowly being filled in, but you must keep your eyes on where you step. or you could hurt yourself. a few of the transitions are a little soggy, but we have had alot of rain lately, so not that big of a con.
Other Thoughts: there are at least 4-5 holes that would be considered signature holes on any other course. it is winter, so the fairways are a little more forgiving, cant wait til spring to see the difference in difficulty. mark and matt have busted some major ass to get this course where it is now, they deserve alot of credit. nevin is across the highway from hornets nest, so if you want play multiple rounds at different courses,... i consider it a plus

Within a year this course will be a 4 with teesigns, maintenance issues resolved, and concrete pads installed.

1    1/20/2010   1/20/2010
This review was updated on 2/18/2010
Pros: 1) Concrete teepads are going to be poured very soon. I think this coming weekend so I will give them some leeway since I played them with the gravel filled frames in place.

2) If you want a challenge come here!!! This is the most difficult and least forgiving course in Charlotte and quite possibly the second least forgiving course I have played to date (only to Jack McLean in Tallahassaa). I like a challenge no matter how hard it is, that is how you learn.

3) This course is set on yet another incredible Mecklenberg county park. Everyone of these courses and parks are incredible. They are clean, they have tons and tons of things to do and they are simply put a jewel to the already kick butt city of Charlotte. I could spend a day in everyone of their parks! Come on bocceball, horseshoes and shuffleboard. If that isn't an excuse to hang out at the park all day!

4) Next tee signs are helpful for navigation on this newer course.

5) Tee signs are present and although a little crude they do help out on the teepad. I am sure they will be top notch signs by the time this course is fully installed. I am giving them the benefit of the doubt because of this county parks departments record.

5) It is obvious the local club does a lot for this course as with all the other local parks. One of the main guys was there on a rainy day getting some timber in place for a retaining wall.

6) Playing this course is like a wonderful walk int he woods. It is so secluded from the outside world. Sure you might run into some walkers but you won't hear any street noise, and you may not see any vehicles for the majority of this course. I enjoy courses like this.

7) Many of the stumps and roots (trippers) have been flagged or painted so you do not break an ankle while playing. This is a positive but the true best way to handle these would be to take a brush hog and cut those things flush with the ground.

8) Mandos are used effectively to force a specific line on a few holes. These are not used for safety they are instead used for intentional hole design.

9) Ribbon is used to help you guide yourself from hole to hole. It is nice that they have done such things to help ease navigation since the course is new and everyone is playing it for the first time.

10) Discatchers in great condition because they are brand new. The yellow band is key for this course because finding the basket on a double dogleg 600' hole can be tough sometimes!

11) There are multiple signature holes on this course. There is only one throwaway hole: Hole #13. That one just isn't scenic, it is pretty straight forward and there is no risk/reward. All the other holes have trouble to avoid, shot shaping to consider, and other trouble to avoid.

12) Shot distances vary throughout the course. You will need many different discs and you will need to be accurate with them so do not be afraid to throw midranges if that is what will get you to the doglegs etc.
Cons: 1) Course is still very new so it is rough in spots and will need to wear in a little bit. It is obvious that the local crew will help make this course as good as it can be. There are spots of the course that need some cleanup. Downed branches, thick shule areas close to the fairways, and areas that simply need to receive a little attention. There also are a few areas that have junk piles. There is a rotary and pushbutton phone cemetary in on spot on the course and 2 or 3 other times I noticed piles of junk (not plant material, I mean garbage, cans, etc). They may have a plan to pick this things up and the are simply in a pile to make the cleanup easier. These are all things that I put into one category because the course is so new I didnt think it would be fair to leave in the review. I will update this review when I hear that these issues have been taken care of or if I return next year. I do however think they are worth mentioning for the time being.

2) Not beginner friendly at all. There are way too many tight wooded holes of extreme distance. This combination makes this course virtually unusable for beginners without serious frustration. It might even be frustrating for advanced players.

3) There is a long walk to Hole #1 and from Hole #18 back to the lot. This isn't a huge issue, but worht mentioning.

4) Teesigns are a little crude so hopefully they do replace them with nice descriptive signs. This course needs a diagram for sure!!!

5) Walking path OB's seem to be a little bit unfair. They are what would normally be a fairway and I understand they may use it for safety, but a couple of the areas are simply not forgiving at all.

6) Hole #14 has an area that looks to be a dump for the maintenance department. Just another one of those things that will change eventually but hopefully be one of the many things the club will attack after they get the teepads poured and can focus on conditioning.

7) No benches or garbage cans yet. I again am sure this will change overtime.

8) I played this course after a lot of rain the night before. It did pretty well but there are areas on the course that certainly can retain some water. Also a few areas that could use some steppers or planks to get across some wet areas.
Other Thoughts: Worth mentioning is that Hole #18 is going to be changing. I have a feeling it was becoming an issue that you end up throwing across the road. Some people in cars either have complained or gotten hit.

Please take this review with a grain of salt considering I am an out of towner and although I hope to come back next year again for another few days. I will only be able to update this review after I return, but it hopefully has some information that will be helpful for the next few months.

I have rated this course according to what I saw when I played 1/17/2010. I am sure it will be a 4 rated course by the time I return next year or the yer after and I will most certainly adjust my rating. I want to represent the course as it stands right now, but will certainly want to adjust the rating as the course gets broken in more and more and more playable. I also can tell the structure of the course is there and it will be an incredible course, so I am being somewhat lenient with my rating. I do not want to give it a 3 which is what I would give it in its current state. I am raising the rating to 3.5 because I am sure the things I have mentioned will be worked on in short order. If everything gets improved and taken care of this course could be as high as a 4.5 in my opinion.

I highly recommend playing if you liek a challenge but if you get easily frsutrated maybe you should skip this course or you might give yourself some health issues. It is tough and long, but seems to be fair, but the more and more play that comes the less luck you will need and you can focus on just using your skill to execute the shots. Have a good time but be prepared fro some bogies, doubles, and worse. I only had one birdie and I had two 6's. That is surely a tough course.

UPDATE: I upgraded the course to a 4 from the sound of it all the concrete is in, tee signs are up, and it seems to have received the work that was close when I was there. I am updating this from 3.5 to 4.0 because those were the things I wanted to see to give the course a 4.0. If I return next year I bet it will be a borderline 4.5 course like I have said.

5+    1/7/2010   1/12/2010
Review By: heelboycraig
This review was updated on 11/14/2012
Pros: Nevin is one of the most challenging, longest courses around. It's going to humble even the best of players, but also make you want to come back for more. It challenges you both physically and mentally:
- Physically: Accuracy and distance are both a premium here. Lots of walking; long rounds, even when playing solo, rounds have been taking me about an hour and a half. By comparison, I can play a solo round at Hornets Nest in about an hour. Also, your endurance will be challenged by lots of walking; long rounds, even if playing solo. You better come prepared, especially once the hot weather rolls around.
- Mentally: There are very few holes where you can relax, unwind and just throw. On almost every hole, you're throwing tee shots, not as much for distance, but to set up your next shot(s). You have to put bad holes behind you because this course will humble you. You don't want one bad hole snowballing into a stretch of bad holes.
- Course has some tight fairways. As difficult as the course can be in the winter, when there are no leaves on trees, it's going to play even harder in the spring and summer.
- Nevin forces you to be a better player. Any weakness in your game will get exposed here. Your tee shots fade too much at the end? You'll be deep in the woods on almost every shot? Can't putt (like me)? There goes any chance for birdie. Can't throw far? You'll be spending extra throws just to get to the pin on the long holes.
- Course has a bunch of great, creative holes. A lot of holes at Nevin would be the signature/most challenging hole at other courses; here it's just another hole. For example, everyone who's played Hornets Nest knows #12 - 638 foot, dogleg right par 5. At Nevin, holes #5, 6, 10, 16 & 17 are all at the same level, or close to the same level as #12 at Hornets. Even a hole like #1 - 491 foot long, narrow hole with a downhill, dogleg right basket, which I think is a great hole, easily gets overlooked at this course.
- The course has a good variety of hole-layouts, non-open holes excluded. Doglegs both directions (both severe and gradual doglegs); straight holes, open baskets; tightly guarded baskets; holes with good elevation changes (by Charlotte standards) both up and down.
- Park has lots of other amenities - baseball & soccer fields, playground, picnic shelters, walking trails, horseshoe pits and even bocce ball and shuttle board. The park is nicely laid out into different areas - ball fields and disc golf all the way to the back; playground, bocce ball and shuffleboard in another; and picnic shelters in the front.
Cons: These first two items will contract my pros and are not negatives for me nor do they affect my rating. I'm just mentioning them so people know what to expect before playing. That said:
- This course can get frustrating. As stated, this course is meant to be a difficult, pro-level course and is not for beginners. Still, this course has almost no reprieve. When things are going good, it's fun tackling one tough hole after another. When things are going bad, it's easy to dread one tough hole after another.
- Narrow fairways will frustrate others. On some holes, there's thick underbrush/trees/plants, right along the fairway. Miss here and you could spend lots of time searching for your disc. The lost disc factor here is definitely higher than normal, so plan accordingly when you throw.
- The lack of open holes will also frustrate some people. #11 is relatively open, but it's under 300, so not smart to grip-n-rip here. #12 is open, for the first half, before playing through the woods. #14 is in an open field, but you first have to clear a mando between two trees.
- Parts of course seem to remain muddy long after it rains. This may be a "new course" issue or it could be a bigger drainage issue. The most notable areas are along parts of #15 & 16.
- Tee signs need to be upgraded. I'm a fan of Mark and his hand-drawn signs, but I'm guessing real signs will be an improvement and appreciated by more people.
- No amenities in the disc-golf portion of the park. You don't pass a water fountain and/or drink machine while playing, so you'd have to stop in another part of the park before or after your round. There's a bathroom near hole #13, which is opened year-round, and one near #9, which is only in spring & summer.
- Lots of long walks throughout course. Not an issue on the front 9, but there are some considerable walks on back 9. Also course doesn't loop back to parking lot after #9, so you can't easily start on #10 to play back 9. Because the course is so spread out there are no easy/natural places to skip holes if needed.
Other Thoughts: Nevin ranks right up there with Renaissance as the two toughest courses I've played. I might give this a slight nod simply because this course is more wooded than Renny.
- Toughest doesn't always equal fun, so not everyone is going to like this 18-hole marathon. I equate extremely difficult courses with the U.S. Open. Rounds at the Open are always a grind and you see the top golfers struggling/being overwhelmed with the course. Instead of shooting 20 under, like they do at the John Deere Classic, golfers are shooting par at best.
- Know what you're getting yourself into before playing this course. Don't expect a lot of birdies and be happy with pars. Don't beat yourself here by wasting strokes with foolish shots. You'll already find yourself scrambling enough throughout the round, so don't add to it.
- The course has a bunch of great holes, it's hard for me to pick one. I love the design of the downhill/drop-off holes - #1, 3, 7 & 16 and how the play. #1 & 16 are both long downhill doglegs. If you don't keep your shot low, it will go sailing offline as the fairway curves away. #3 & 7 both have big drop-offs right behind the basket. What may appear to be a great tee shot or putt could end up 50 feet past the hole.
- Nevin gets added love for its location and convenience. It's 3 minutes from I-77, 5 minutes from Hornets Nest, and 10 minutes from Sugaw Creek. You can easily knock out the 3 courses with little drive time. In terms of proximity and quality of courses, Nevin and Hornets Nest is the best 1-2 combination in town. You're not going to find 2 better, tougher courses in Charlotte so closely located, which is perfect for out-of-towners. In the Charlotte-region, only Winthrop's 2 course layouts - Gold and Lakefront - are on the same level of location and quality for courses.
- This is a definite must-play for all DGers. You might not like the course layout, but at least you'll have to appreciate the difficulty this course offers for 18 straight holes.

Great Course

1    1/6/2010   1/10/2010
Review By: tabascobh
Pros: Great Course for Charlotte, It reminds me of the back nine at Hornest nest with a Renny flare. Go play it and have fun
Cons: A little raw right now but in time it will smooth itself out with foot traffic
Other Thoughts: Another great course from Stan and Co.

What a gem

1    12/27/2009   12/28/2009
Review By: hunter
Pros: This is one of the toughest courses that Charlotte has to offer. It is up there with Renny Gold and the Web.

You are tested right from the start with a tough par 4. Most of the front 9 is in the woods. There is a good mix of elevation and mixture of shots. You must have a sidearm on some of these holes (or a good turnover shot). Although it is still new (played it just after Xmas), the fairways are still fair, especially on the drives for the par 4's and par 5's. It gets more technical on these holes for your 2nd and 3rd shots. The greens utilize the elevation really well (some "putt of deaths"). The back nine opens up a little more, but when it does you must keep your disc in play (cart paths and double mando). The finishing holes were really tough (16 and especially 17) with accuracy being a must.
Cons: The course is still new so the tee boxes are not poured yet (but they were framed and were filled with gravel - i only slipped once). Once the concrete is poured, it will be money. The signs gave you the yardage and an idea of where the basket is. We had no problem in finding the next tee from the basket as there were trees and flags leading you.

If you got off the fairway, there were some thick areas. This is def. not a beginner course. Some of the approaches on the par 5's were a little tight. When the club focuses their attention on this course, it will be top notch.
Other Thoughts: This is my first review of a course on this website, and I am from Virginia. I have played alot of courses in both states (and plan on to start reviewing the ones I've played), but this course has inspired me to start my DGCR reviews. I also played the Elon course and thought that this one was a little better, so I gave it a 4 now with 4.5 around the corner.

Score : -1 (65)

Early Nevin after a lot of rain

1    12/14/2009   12/15/2009
Review By: thebear021980
This review was updated on 4/19/2010
Pros: Nice course with fair but challenging fairways. Nice use of distance without constantly having to heave a driver, good mix of control drives with a couple of tough long drives, generally it was a nice day in the woods playing DG. Oh yeah, and the par 3's were fun and tough, I also liked the unique hole designs (the us eof some right angles and dog-legs. I am a player who usually "goes for it", I didn't here and it payed off. This course demands control.
Cons: all of my previous cons have been fixed with continued construction, not to mention all the holes that have changed recently did so for the BETTER
Other Thoughts: solid, very fun course