Charlotte, NC
Nevin Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: 1978 Hole #5 (Taken 9/2010)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
The King of Charlotte

5+    7/26/2015   7/29/2015
Review By: LastPageDG
Pros: This is my absolute favorite Charlotte area course. Nevin will bring out your best and worst qualities of your game. You get somewhat buttered up on holes 1 through 3 and then the survival game starts on holes 4 through 9. Holes 4 and 5 are designed for players who can bomb with accuracy or place a mid or fairway driver in the middle of the fairway. Pretty much the whole front 9 focuses on accuracy and smart play. Hole 7 is one of the most intimidating par 3's you'll encounter with a TIGHT gap off the box and a super death drop directly behind the basket.

The back starts with a decent birdie opportunity and on holes 11 and 12 you get to stretch the arm out with a few big pulls. 12 is an absolute beauty with a tee shot that takes you from a wide open bomb to a left turn in the woods. Hole 14 also gives you a chance to rip one but you'll be throwing through a double MANDO. Finishing out 15 though 18 gives you birdie and a couple of eagle chances as well.

You have a nice putting green to warm up on and parking is plentiful. There's no bathroom by the practice green but this is a huge complex and there are bathrooms throughout the park.

Nice sized concrete pads provide plenty of room to tee off and they are all in decent shape.

One more added bonus is the courses proximity to other amazing courses in the area such as RL Smith, Hornets Nest, Sugaw, Eastway and it's not too far from Renny.
Cons: Very few I noticed. The drop zone pad on hole 14 is pretty rough as far as pivoting on your throw and it's a little short.

The signage is a bit old and a little deceiving on some holes but it's not terrible.

Crime CAN be an issue although I've personally never had an incident, but hey, that can by anywhere you go.
Other Thoughts: The park itself is a beauty and you get some good scenery on holes 13 through 15 as you pass by. There are plenty of food options close by with it being close to I85 it makes it an awesome course to plan for any Charlotte trip.

Date: 7/30/2015 Designer Response by: 1978
Thanks for the review! Just noting that you seem to be commenting on the short layout since 16 is like one of the hardest holes and 1 long is difficult as well. Either way, thanks again.

Very Impressive

1    7/2/2015   7/5/2015
Review By: ajbova
Pros: Extremely challenging championship level course that is aimed towards advanced players. Requires not only power but accuracy. Beginners will struggle here as well as most intermediate level players.

From the start to the finish, this course is intimidating. Do not question yourself here or you will be in trouble.

Baskets - 18 grippy innova baskets that catch great. There is also a practice basket at the start of the course near the parking lot.

Tees - Each hole had at least one very long and grippy concrete tee. A few of the holes had a short tee: 1, 2, 3, 10, 12, 16, 17.

Variety: The entirety of this course was in the woods. Accuracy is required on every hole. The widest fairway was no wider than 25 feet (hole 18). The shortest hole was 202 feet while the longest was 970. There were elevation changes on almost every hole including several blind shots due to distance, woods, or a mix of all 3. No two holes here were the same. A few of the holes (3,7) had immediate drop offs so if you overshoot, you would be down hill.

Elevation: Being from Indiana, the elevation of this course really stood out to me.

Signs: There was a course board with info on the sport as well as a map at the start. Throughout the course there were arrows pointing you towards the next tee or tees if the hole had 2. Each tee sign included distance, par, and hole number (no map).

Course was very clean and well maintained. Trash cans/bags and benches at every hole allowed you to take a break. The course is long so it was a nice touch.

Very scenic and peaceful course. The paths through the woods from hole to hole were a plus in my opinion. Had no idea which direction I was facing while playing which was a plus.

Hard to save par meaning if you do not bring your A game, you will not have a good time.

Several signature holes.

Start and finish were near other. Looped around. Very spread out course. No two holes had bordering fairways.

Easy to navigate and easy to get to from the highway. Several nearby food options.

Markers along the fairways listing distance from the basket.
Cons: My biggest con for this course was the lack of a map on each tee sign. Several of the holes were 500+ feet and you could not see the basket from the tee. Signs would greatly enhance the course and would help for first time players who had no idea where the basket was. I felt as if I was blindly throwing down a tunnel in the woods and didn't know where the basket would be.

Each hole here should have a second tee. If you are going to have 7 alternate tees, might as well put them in on every hole. This would make the course more playable for intermediate level players.

A few signs pointing towards the basket would be a nice addition as well.

Poison ivy throughout course.
Other Thoughts: This was the first course I played on my trip to Charlotte and by far my favorite. I was definitely blown away. I would give it a 5 out of 5 if maps were added to the signs for each hole and if each hole got an alternate tee.

I would recommend this course to anyone looking for a challenge. It requires the best throw on every throw. Definitely a championship level course and the best course I have played to this day.

I would not recommend it to someone new to the sport. It would be way too challenging for them. There are several nearby options to build your game before coming here.

Date: 7/7/2015 Designer Response by: 1978
Thank you for the thoughtful review. Signage is in the works. This course will not get short tees. There are 5 intermediate level courses within 10 minutes. Nevin is for those people looking to challenge themselves. Unfortunately, we had to install a few short teepads for speed of play in major events. The course was designed for the long layout, if I were king, I would remove the shorts. With short tees comes rec players and trash, there are other more appropriate courses for them. Sugaw, Kilborne, RL Smith, Eastway, Bailey, Robbins are all close.

Just the challenge I was looking for..

1    7/20/2014   7/22/2014
Review By: chainedwraith
Pros: I did my homework before arriving in Charlotte and knew this was going to be a tough challenge and it certainly delivered. The park/scenery/course was beautiful. I played solo, from long tees, late afternoon after the rain had passed and the pads were wet but still grippy, no issues there.

I'm one of the disc golfers that really appreciates that feeling of isolation and remoteness with nature, and for a busy park course, it does still retain some of that "I'm the only one out here" kinda feel which I really enjoy. That, to me, also illustrates great separation of holes and good flow.

The course appears to drain well as I don't recall stepping into too much mud or standing water as I would expect on my usual Florida courses.

The fairways were definitely fair, you simply gotta hit your lines and use discs with little to no fade. I never felt that "poke 'n pray" feeling on any of the holes.

The use of elevation was excellent. Although most holes were tightly wooded there were a few holes that tease you with some openness but you still have to hit your lines (or make a mando) on those too.

Navigation was adequate. I arrived without a map but found hole 1 short tee then walked back to hole 1 long tee and never really got off track too bad after that except for a little confusion after I finished hole 12 I walked up to the left before realizing I needed to go down to the right to find 13.
Cons: Not really many cons.. just a few notes. Although extremely challenging, it wasn't a course where I felt I had to do a lot of thinking on the tee pad and/or use a lot of different shots or discs. I probably only used 3-4 discs the entire round. Most of the true shot shaping seemed to come from those critical upshots. I used my TL or Roc on probably 80-90% of my drives throwing mostly flat or close to flat right down the middle. I realize that straight long shots are difficult for most players so I took this as part of the overall challenge and not so much a true "con". I wouldn't change a thing, but I know this might bother some players who can't wait to bust out their high speed overstable drivers. This is not a course for those folks.

The risk of going off fairway from the tee was a little intense for my tastes which forces me to play way more conservative than usual. That probably makes me a better player but takes a notch off the fun factor if you are hunting for lots of birdies. This could also be largely attributed to the fact that it was my first time here so no real point deduction on that note. I'm sure if I played here often as a local I would grow a pair of "Nevin balls" and start pretending the trees weren't there. ;-)

The shule on the left side of hole 12 is brutal. I lost one in there trying to LHBH hyzer flip a glo-Tern up and over the trees.. it was a decent crush and made it over but it never came back to the fairway and several minutes of searching turned up nothing.

Spiders are everywhere and although I despise them.. I'm used to playing courses that have them and I'll take a nature-oriented course over most open park courses anyday.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed my round here. The long straight shots with tight lines are tough, but extremely rewarding if you hit them. I parked hole 3 from long pads with a sweet TL shot and it felt REALLY good (it was the only hole I deuced)! You really gotta earn those birdies here. This course will punish your every error. Holes 9 - 12 were the toughest stretch for me (went 5,6,5,7) and those type of bad runs can be demoralizing but I managed to finish bogey free after that and it felt like a solid accomplishment overall. This is one of those courses that is such a challenge that I can't wait to comeback again someday and truly see how much my game has improved. This course will exploit problems with your technique and accuracy and punish you for them which is what I believe the designer was wanting to do. Kudos on a great advanced level course!

Date: 7/7/2015 Designer Response by: 1978
Sorry for your confusion on 12, to get to the left you have to walk through some pretty mean poison ivy. There is a next tee marker, I wish you had seen it or the well worn path right.

Left-hander bias?

1    4/29/2014   4/29/2014
Review By: luckless_pedestrian
Pros: Flat out awesome course. Like all good courses you need to be able to hit a variety of shots. It's long and beautiful and most of the time you're not aware of the other people in the park.
Cons: Playing with someone who can throw a decent forehand (I can't) I felt like Nevin set up a little better for him. Sour grapes? Probably.
Other Thoughts: You do have to hit the gaps. Missing can mean ping-ponging from one side of the fairway to the other. That's not really a con, just a fact. I can't wait to play there again.

My Friend Nevin is a Must Play!

1    4/20/2014   4/25/2014
Review By: sidewinder22
Pros: Cooly was sportin' black denim shoes, with 18 challenging holes, Discatcher baskets, multiple concrete tees, practice basket, nice tee signs, benches, trash cans and restrooms.
Dealing he was looking for something to use with par 3, 4, and 5's through long wooded fairways over some great terrain and elevation.
With a pistol in his pocket and a bottle of booze, he will take all shots in the bag and leave you feeling a bit light headed.
Well, it could be me or it could be you, he was fairly secluded from the rest of the park and easy to navigate.
Oh feels like my whole life is rearranged.
Oh Nevin you rule,
Nevin, Nevin, Nevin, Nevin you...
Oh how you rule,
Oh how you rule
Cons: Oh Nevin, I give you a hard time. Got out of jail just the very next day, you got Poison Ivy in the rough and that's about all.
Other Thoughts: Hooked on Nevin just the other day
Now he's down with the CIA
We got covert operation in Vietnam
Making hits and assasination he's long gone

He went down to protect his country
Eat Mexican food and makes lots o' money
Come back a God and drive a big white car
And take himself a plane down to Nicaragua
Well it feels like I'm the only one to blame.

Oh Nevin you rule
Nevin, Nevin, Nevin, Nevin you
Oh how you rule.

I give you a hard time, did want to stay
Got outta jail just the very next day
It's plain to see my friend Nevin is a Must Play!
He was a Must Play yeah, yeah, yeah!

Out my window cool and bright
Day so slowly into night
Funny how other things look the same
Now that my friend Nevin rules!

Date: 4/28/2014 Designer Response by: 1978
Thanks for your review...but on its format I'll have to stew. :-)

Nevin is North Carolina woods play at its best!

2-4    3/23/2014   3/24/2014
Review By: DiscChainBasket18
Pros: The course is "pro" level long & technical. Long throws through tree lined alleys await you. Some shorter holes & some open holes mixed in here & there. Elevation in play on many holes. Mando's, OB's & a creek in play. Large concrete tee pads. Alternate tee pads. Pretty scenery. The course has good flow!
Cons: Punishing if you stray off the fairway. Thick stands of trees may force a "pitch-out" to save strokes. Side-hill pin placement on some holes will cause a roll-away putt or two (if you miss your putt). Long, long, it takes a while to play this course so plan accordingly.
Other Thoughts: I first played this course when I first started playing disc golf & I hated it. It was way too hard!! Now that I have seen the pro's play (in Worlds) & I've advanced myself I can appreciate the extreme challenge of playing this type of course. Epic challenge comes to mind!

The Test

1    12/18/2013   12/18/2013
Review By: Hector Chain
Pros: This is a course that will test you. At 8100 feet, it is long and fairly tight. There are plenty of times you'll see the distance of the hole, reach for your driver, and then think better of it. Staying on the fairway is an absolute must if you want to score decently. If you are a hyzer distance kind of guy, you won't love it here.

The average distance is about 450 feet, but that masks how the course plays. Some holes are under 300 feet where carding a par isn't tough if your drive hits the gap. On others, you are playing over 550 feet. I took several 7's in my round, and I didn't even feel like I was playing horribly.

The first half of the course felt a bit tighter. I felt like the more memorable holes were late in the round. Hole 12 is a 950-foot joy ride, starting off fairly open over some rolling hills before descending into a wooded area where shot placement turns out to be key. This hole plays a lot like the longest hole at Flip City.

Holes 14 and 16 play near a walking path (not as unsafe as it sounds) with some wooded fences that add some character to the holes. 14 is a short uphill hole, and 16 is a long, bending downhill.

My favorite may have been 17, which starts with a straight uphill shot before a sharp dogleg to the left. The fairway gently glides down to the pin, left to right. Distances are listed along the fairway, nailed into stumps on the ground (great feature). I'm not sure the landing area at the dogleg is wide enough, but it's a dogleg hole that reminds me of some of the shots at Renny.

Elevation comes into play on most holes. No huge ups and downs, but enough to matter.
Cons: Tee signs are not that helpful. Most just show the distance, and others have a very rough representation of the fairway. When you are throwing 600-foot holes in the woods, a much more detailed tee sign is called for because you sure aren't walking these fairways twice. It doesn't help that there are temporary signs for the 2013 amateur doubles championships, listing inconsistent distances.

Navigation isn't bad, and "next tee" signs are on most holes. However, I wasn't always clear on which holes had short tees. I was playing the longs, so this was fine for me, but playing the shorts looked tougher to navigate. The map on this site has several holes that are wrong (11 and 12, I believe), so I'm guessing it's outdated. I know maps don't matter to locals, but Charlotte attracts more disc golf tourists than most places.

I won't quibble with most of the design, and I feel like I understand what they were going for. The exception is hole 7. There is a gap of about 3 feet that you need to hit about 30 feet from the tee pad. I could certainly be wrong, but I'm dubious that even very good players can execute this shot consistently. I like holes where the first shot is not a full throw, but I ended up putting my disc through the gap and then carding the easy par.

I mentioned that the course is a test. At times, it feels like a driver's ed test. You are striving to be technically perfect and driving carefully, but you're not really having fun. I felt this way for a good chunk of the first half of the course.
Other Thoughts: I feel similarly about this course as I do about Blue Valley in Kansas City: 1) I'm glad this kind of course exists to challenge the best, 2) the area can afford to have a course with limited appeal given the huge number of courses in the area, and 3) I wouldn't say I loved it (although I definitely was more beaten down by Blue Valley than here).

Come see how you measure up. You can't graduate without taking the test.

Date: 12/19/2013 Designer Response by: 1978
Hole 7's gap much wider than 3', ill measure it though and most players should be able to hit it. The thought of the shot messes with people's minds more than the actual shot. Most players can easily jump putt through it and then nestle up the the basket on the 205' hole for par. But that is the thing with Nevin. If you hit your lines, you will shoot 6-10 under par. If you are off...you will take 7's. People consistently mark the signage as a negative, I've never seen a tee sign on 130 played courses that replaced playing the hole once or walking down the hole to see how it plays. Nevin has tee signs on most holes.

Great course - challenging

1    12/4/2013   12/4/2013
Review By: pfpro
Pros: - Great variety of short and long. Good mixture throughout the course (not all shorts or longs are bunched together). It did not feel like holes were crammed in to get 18 holes.
- Great directional signage between holes. The course was designed with a nice flow, but the signs and arrows made it super easy.
- Many holes had multiple tees. The longs were definitely more challenging, and the par score reflects that. I played the longs for most (until I got to the last 3 holes, and some locals were playing the shorts, and I didn't want to get locked in the park).
- Nice big teepads. Many holes had benches. There were garbage cans or bags at most (if not all) holes.
- Really nice use of the elevation changes - not super dramatic, but it wasn't a flat course.
- Pin placement (thinking 3 and 7 specifically) reward a good approach. If you are short, and your putt goes long, you are looking at least a 3-putt.
- Many of the holes had distance markers on trees or stumps so you know how far away the basket is - nice little touch.
Cons: These are very minor cons, but since we have this field to fill out....
- one that the designers have no control over is the fact that the park locks down - so you are confined to park hours. Not a big deal, but if I want to disc-golf at 6 am, why should I have to wait for anyone to unlock a gate?
- the teepad signs are a little lacking. They did show distances, and a flight path, but there were no landmarks, just an arrow. (I didn't see the ones that are shown in the photographs on this site - maybe they were under the ones on the posts). On a positive note, they clearly outlined what was OB for each hole.
Other Thoughts: This review is written from the perspective of one who passes through. If it were my home course, the teepad signs wouldn't' be an issue. I played this course starting in the late afternoon and finishing in the twilight in the late fall, so I'm sure my experience was rushed. I look forward to playing this course again! I did stick mainly to mids (because I have a pink FLX buzzz) because of the visibility concern with leaves - and it allowed me to sacrifice some distance but stay in the fairway and chase par - it was a learning experience for me for playing within game, and I recommend it. Most of the wooded holes are pretty tight. Not so much like the Kilborne wooded feel (where the fairways are "vast"). There is a short run of open holes in the middle of the back nine. My three favorite holes: 18 - kind of an "epic" finish - downhill following a utility line opening, across a creek and back up to the pin. 14 - hit the double mando, but keep it low so you get under the tree - then you can bomb across the field. 7 - short hole - if you overshoot the teeshot, you are down in a 30' ravine. As I said before, I look forward to playing this course again. BTW, read the hole notes from the course designer (saw them as I was doing this review) - they definitely show how to theoretically (my arm doesn't always do what my brain wants it to do....) run the course. This is a great course - get out and play it!

My favorite in Charlotte

5+    10/18/2013   10/24/2013
Review By: doctharock
Pros: I love this course. It has one of the best and hardest long layouts in Charlotte (besides maybe Renny Gold and The Web at hornets nest). The short tees are still quite formidable. The course requires every throw in the bag. From short finesse (hole 2 and 3) to big open bombs (12,14,18). This is such a great design and one of Stan's best. My favorite thing about this course is it's seclusion. Almost zero cars going by and never a random weirdo person lurking at the teepads or benches. There is almost never anyone on the course so you very rarely have to wait or let someone play through. There is almost no water (thankfully) and very little OB. Fairways are always pretty clear and very little poison ivy and underbrush even during the summer, unless you get really really deep into the woods. Hole number 5 is one of the most rewarding holes in golf if you can birdie it. I love that hole and hate it.
Cons: Not really a bail out route if you need to leave a round early or just want to play a few holes. You can bail at hole 12 but it is still a pretty good walk back to the car. (4-5 minutes, which i guess isn't awful by no means, just not a quick hop). Other than that I really don't have anything bad to say about this course.
Other Thoughts: Hole number 11 has changed, and for the better. It is a long dogleg left par 4 now, instead of that short par 3 across the jogging path.

Date: 10/29/2013 Designer Response by: 1978
Id suggest, if you were concerned with time, starting at hole 13 that plays you around a 6 hole loop, smaller than the 12 hole loop starting at 1.

1    9/28/2013   9/30/2013
Review By: _MTL_
Pros: - I really enjoyed the use of elevation on this course. There wasn't much on the property, but what was available was used quite well.
- I liked the concept of a lot of holes. For example, the concept of hole 4 where you can throw a simple shot to the landing area or try to get way down the mouth. Lots of choices for the player
- Holes that needed to be tigther due to being short were (hole 7). Holes that didn't need to be tighter due to being longer weren't and had options (hole 8).
- Fairly easy to navigate

Hands down the best part that not many higher par courses get...

- Distances were marked on the holes at random points. HUGE plus that the time was taken on par 4s and 5s to mark trees with distances.
Cons: - I felt a few times the design was a bit forced. Hole 17 seemed like the basket was just put well to the right so the hole could be a par 4. Same thing with the double mando on 14. Forcing it a bit, so to speak, to add par 4s to the course.

- Tees were good, but some of them were raised which gave a few issues with run ups.

- Not a great course to practice on. Due to the woods, you are very limited in a lot of your shot selection per hole. Overall, you throw a lot of shots. But you are limited on each hole because the fairways are so defined.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed the course and really enjoyed the concept of a lot of the holes. It's a very hard but very fair course. And fairness is very important.

Date: 10/7/2013 Designer Response by: 1978
Thanks Robert - Excellent last point and a unique one I haven't heard before. Nevin basically calls for a specific shot at a specific time.

The short loop planned for inside the park road will offer a practice course on the property. Origginal course was designed for the player who already has skills defined.

The whole course (including #17) was designed and built for the longs. I wish the shorts were never included in the discussion for review; they are not "Nevin," in my opinion. I have and may institute ideas to solve for the 2 "jerky" holes 5&17 by smoothing corners and lengthening throws.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5