Charlotte, NC
Nevin Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: 1978 Hole #12 (Taken 8/2010)
Hole #12 Long Tee: 500' to woods. 450' ft of woods after. Left OB line.

Tough wooded challenge

1    4/18/2011   5/8/2011
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through dense woods with some nice elevation changes. The hills are used very well to add challenge and fun, with some cool uphill and downhill holes and some fast greens that add challenge to your short game. The course is technical, the couple holes that have more open drives require good placement to have a good look at the second shot. If you miss your line, you'll be penalized with dense rough and lots of trees.

There's a great mix of hole shapes here, with a balanced st of right and left turning holes to challenge all the shots in your bag. The course plays pretty long, especially from the pro tees, but there are reachable holes mixed in to keep things interesting. The tees are nice concrete pads with good texture and plenty of room. The signage is basic, but adequate to figure out the course.
Cons: The rough is so thick throughout most of the course that you never have the chance to be creative if you miss your line. I like punishment for missing the fairway, but it gets a little old to be just pitching back out every time. There are lots of fairways that have stumps and roots under the leaves, watch your step.
Other Thoughts: This is a very challenging course, that will test your line shaping skills and rewards players that can accurately hit longer shots through the woods. The shorter tees are a great challenge for intermediate players, they offer great variety with a little less challenge. The pro tees are just plain tough, they would offer a real challenge for even the best players. Beginners won't have much fun here, it's just too long and punishing even from the short tees.

A Toughy

1    3/12/2011   3/15/2011
Review By: vonDrehle
This review was updated on 5/22/2013
Pros: -This course requires a lot of different shots from the teepad which is really nice.
-The tees were very nice with long teepads and very accurate portrayals of the hole on the signs. Be sure to notice the arrows indicating the slope on the holes before you play as many times you can't see the basket for a few shots.
-There are distances lined down each hole like you would find in ball golf and I found that very nice since a lot of your shots are used trying to get to a good layup spot.
-Great signage to get you from one hole to the next. It was our first time playing and we never got lost.
Cons: -The par 5's seemed a little much for me. You could shoot well on them if you just took a bunch of straight shots or thumbers but even then you can find trouble. I found them to be more work than fun unlike say the par 5 at Hornets Nest that is challenging but still fun.
-I also found that many of the holes I was just hoping for a par which can get pretty dull.
-A few times we didn't realize there was a short tee and a long tee (hole 1 for instance) but we may have missed the signs.
Other Thoughts: I really liked this course and aside from the par 5's I enjoyed my round. This is definitely a course that requires multiple plays to master it. Many times on the teepad I thought one shot was appropriate but when I got to my drive I realized I should have done something completely different. #18 was my favorite hole it is long but with 2 good shots and a putt you can make a 3 on it. This course will definitely challenge both your physical game and your mental game and that isn't a bad thing.

**Update: More benches installed so yo have a place to cry and collect yourself after each hole.

Perspective from a local

1    3/13/2011   3/13/2011
Review By: 5slamma
Pros: I live in Charlotte and this is the first time playing this course. This is an EXHAUSTING course that requires one to take their time. No quick matches - be sure you have extra time and patience to get through this one.

Tee Pads are all consistently made: about 10 feet long - this is plenty of space for most of us, never had to start my drive behind the pad. Love the tee at Hole 8 where you have the option of going right or left, and the pad is shaped to facilitate driving either direction.

Tee Signs/Maps/Markers - no map at some holes but not really a problem. Signage is overall excellent. Mandos, next tees, and distances all clearly marked.

No problems with foliage. We spent our share of time in the rough but no lost discs. That will certainly change in the Spring / Summer. I had a few spots where the briars were thick even in winter. I will approach this course with caution in the warm growth months.

Optimization of elevation is quite well done. Hole 18 has a tremendous valley where you drive downhill. I do like opportunities for longer drives like this hole provides. There are a few other similar ones but I'll always be able to picture 18 when I close my eyes - it's memorable.

Nice variety of shots required - fairways vary in direction, angle, length, and elevation where the game stays interesting.

The back 9 has beautiful scenery: creeks, bridges, walking paths. I was feeling great at holes 15-16. The airplanes were no longer overhead and it was peaceful. Good place to be.
Cons: Benches were missing where needed the most: just before and after the long par 4/5 holes. Funny there was a horseshoe field that had benches laid out at each throw point and we had to walk right by them knowing that our disc golf pad had none. I was jealous that the horseshoe throwers seemed to get more love than us.

Trash bins were missing from most of the front 9 holes. Back 9 had more trash receptacles but still not every hole.

Noise: Airplanes taking off overhead for most of the front 9 which was a nuisance. Also lots of cars w/ loud bass music driving by. Not the most serene or quiet of courses.

Hole 7 had some wicked nails and boards on the pair of trees just in front of the tee pad that scared the bejeezus outta me - I could see one of my nice discs getting impaled on a nail head, made me condiser throwing one of my less favorites just in case.
Other Thoughts: Course Flow: I was needing a major break after hole 9, but there was nothing but a few benches, another parking lot, and a long walk back to the car. I do hear some folks wrap back to the car after 12 but I think next time I might park in the lot at 9 and leave a cooler in the car, then walk back to start at 1 with the "warm-fuzzy" feeling of cold beer waiting before the back nine. This is very important for such a long course.

Overall challenge was extreme. This was a physically exhausting course. I'd never consider trying to play a quick match out here. You must take your time or you will lose discs and maybe even injure yourself if not careful.

Security: I would not leave any valuables in sight in your car. You shouldn't need me to tell you this. Thieves look for easy opportunities - don't give it to em.

I'm rating this course a 4.0 because it was still very fun - even with sore leg muscles, raw thighs, and the jet airplanes trying to disrupt my mojo.

Date: 11/6/2012 Designer Response by: 1978
The reviewer is correct however I can provide a little more detail.
Trash cans are permanent on holes 1, 3, 7, 11(moved to 12), 13, 15, 18. Biased by 1 to the back 9. The thought was that people would finish drinks more towards the back of the course. These are all the locations the park department was willing to empty and volunteer resources to empty additional cans have been unreliable.

Flatland View of Nevin

2-4    3/5/2011   3/7/2011
Review By: tombraiderchuck
This review was updated on 3/14/2011
Pros: Are you able to throw 260 feet? When you release the disc? The right direction?
The course is clear and clean and Fair!!!!
Plenty of Fairway must throw drivers to obtain a Five.
The Course is LONG. LONG means 2 Great Drives and you have a layup 3. 4 putt 5 in.
really long. You have to love the long. 2-3 drives to get near the basket on about 8 holes. Honestly, on the second round, I walked up to the tee and said why is this hole like this? LONG FAIR Holes. Plenty of elevation. Any more than 2 rounds and you are a trooper.
Cons: A couple more garbage collection. They have garbage cans on about every 4 holes from my experience.
I needed more cans for some reason.

you just finished a 580 ft hole. walk to the next box, 635 ft hole, next hole 520 ft. It can wear you down arm and body.
Other Thoughts: Do you have the mental fortitude? Your body will wear out on 2 rounds.

Tired, but happy

1    2/22/2011   2/22/2011
Review By: Sabooo
Pros: There is an awful lot to like about this course. The park is great, and huge. The scenery is very nice on almost every hole. Trash cans are abundant, there are benches at (almost if not) every hole. I love the fact that the DGC does not interfere in any way with the rest of the activities that take place in the park. A few holes cross paths, but beyond that the only thing in our way is other DG'ers.

I found the holes to be very well thought out. The layout does a great job of taking advantage of the best of the natural terrain, with good use of elevation on many holes.

Course signage is outstanding. I played all 18 without a tour guide, and didn't get lost at all. I especially liked the mid-fairway distance indicators

I am a novice player at best, and I came nowhere near par, spending quite a bit of time in the rough on either side of the fairway. The good news is that the underbrush is quite thin, and I had no trouble tracking down my errant plastic.

I understand some other reviewers were frustrated by this course, and I have to admit standing on a tee pad or two and thinking that the hole in front of me was a bit sadistic. But when you rip one straight down one of these chutes and it lays down right where you wanted it, it is incredibly rewarding.

There are a large amount of details that make navigation safer on the course. That includes what look to be new bridges over the deeper ditches, steps built into some of the steeper hillsides, and it's obvious that quite a bit of care goes into keeping the prickly and poison things from being a nuisance.
Cons:
My biggest grumble all day came from tripping and stumbling over Stumps hiding in the leaf litter! Watch your step.

Some of the holes seem to be a bit long for no reason other than to say they're long, playing right over some very nice basket locations in the '450 to '550 range.
Other Thoughts: The worst thing on this course was my ability. But my frustration with my play had nothing to do with the course, the course just helped to point out weaknesses. Saying that is a fault of the course is like blaming the disc for my shot.

This is truly a destination course in my opinion, and I hope you find time to play it should you be in the area.

Thanks to everyone who has a hand in taking care of the course, you all should be proud of what you've accomplished here!

Prepare for a beat down

1    2/5/2011   2/6/2011
Review By: culinarywiz
Pros: Well maintianed

Rustic

Conctrete pads and plenty of amenities

Very good signage
Cons: Difficult does not properly describe this course

Fun? Anyone? Bueller?
Other Thoughts: This course is beyond brutal.

Difficulty does not directly equate to quality when designing disc golf courses. For me, the most important aspect of disc golf is FUN. Enjoyment. Good times, man. This course is NOT fun. I seriously hated most of it. I wanted to pick up my disc and leave many times.

So, here is a break down of the layout;
You start with a long, tight hole. This is followed by a tight, long hole. Then there are a few tight, long, doglegs. Then you finish with some really tight and long holes. I actually began wishing I had loner discs so I could spare my plastic from this heinous torture.

There was very little diversity here. The whole course felt very monotonous. It is hands down the most difficult course I have ever played.

Still, this course is very well put together. If this is the style of golf you enjoy, then this has been meticulously detailed and maintained for you. The pads, baskets, signage and benches are all in great shape. There are some nice elevation changes. There actually are a couple ace runs, you just have to thread a needle to do it.

Obviously, this course isn't my cup of tea. I play to have fun, not to get beat like a tied down goat. But if you truly want to test your ability to throw error free disc golf, then this could be the best course in the nation.

Great job design team!

1    1/23/2011   1/27/2011
Review By: BobbyC13
Pros: Everything about this course was fun! Great signs and concrete teepads. Nice baskets! Well layed out and very well thought out! This course was pleasantly challenging!
Cons: No cons! Easy to follow!
Other Thoughts: Great job CDGC!!!!

Notorious Evil Vanguard Is Nasty

1    1/1/2011   1/7/2011
Review By: optidiscic
Pros: Ranks at the top of the most challenging disc golf course layouts I have ever played. I loved Nevin in all it's punishing glory because it exposed my flaws and my score rose from my mistakes not from some other means like other difficult courses. This wooded beast has ample fairways that invite you to throw your driver, and you should throw your driver. The difficulty comes from the long but FAIR lines that must be hit to achieve a respectable score. Let me repeat you should drive through the woods here...if you don't you will be playing bogey golf with no chance at par. Thats the kind of disc golf I enjoy. Demanding you to hit your lines to achieve par. Punishes laying up as the distance is too great to go mid-range to mid-range yet woodsy enough to punish errant drives. The high scores are derived from player mistakes and NOT rollaway greens, elevated baskets, unavoidable ravines, OOB, excessive water, wind, or too tight fairways. When you play these holes you have that feeling that you can achieve par each time but it's a matter of will you be able to execute. Luck really isnt a factor as much as decision-making and skill.
This was my favorite amongst the higher rated Charlotte courses. Iron Hill in DE and Nockamixon in PA are the only similiar courses I have ever played to this beast. It's not that the course kicks your ass it's more that you kick yourself for messing up....thats good design in my book.
This course does provide a slew of excellent par 3s that will challenge you, frustrate you and feed your addiction with moments of ecstasy and agony. Many looong layouts lack this mix of fun yet difficult par 3s.
For a wooded course the footing was excellent and there were minimal if any thorns...I was off the fairways quite often.
I really enjoyed the use of fast greens which were not over the top but allowed for conservative play if you wanted to add a stroke for laying up vs demanding you triple putt with a gimmicky high basket. (yeah I'm slamming the other Charlotte courses but this one gets it right...If I punk out I should take a stroke for playing safe and not be forced to triple quadruple putt from OOB for missing a forced putt due to no lay-up option)
OOB was minimal....really it's not even needed here as the course derives the difficulty and not silly mandos and contrived OOB. There were some oob and mandos but they added to the experience and were there for obvious safety concerns.
Avoids park congestion...other than a shot near horseshoe pits and 2 over a walking path I felt like I was deep within a PA state park playing real woods golf.
Elevation and Woods used in conjunction to create a masterpiece of forward thinking design and not forgetting what makes disc golf fun.
I make no bones about my love for wooded fairway driving and my disdain for placement landing golf but holes 12 and 14 are all about landing safely and setting up your second shot. I enjoyed these shots as it tempered the wide open holes with some punishment for recklessness.
The short holes provided enough trouble to make a 3 feel earned and a deuce was something special.
The longer par 4s and 5s were often filled with difficult lines, crazy looks, and wtf moments but never did I feel like it was impossible to achieve.
Holes 5 and 10 might be the most challenging woods holes I have ever played.
Dual fairway on hole 8 was a treat and offered a true decision-making off the tee.
The final 3 holes classify as spectacular finishers with reasonable fairways and attainable pars if you can play within your means and do not mess up.
The flow of the course was excellent with paths and signage adequate. Just when you're weary of arduous long woods you are met with an interesting par 3. Just as your sick of open air your back in the woods.
18 ranks in my top disc golf holes and truly is a masterpiece that is well earned after one grueling round of disc golf.
Dual Tees on many holes and perfectly textured concrete on every hole.
I love hearing the top pros bitch and lose it about a course....this one should make for some hilarious moments at 2012 Worlds. I'd camp out on holes 5 and 10 and laugh myself silly all day long at Worlds if I was a local.
For the record I played terrible at Nevin but am sure I could do better and am drawn back to Charlotte solely for this course alone. This is the one I want some revenge on. Utopian mix of difficulty and fun! Good Job Guys.
Cons: I really only have one issue with Nevin and that is the lack of landing areas and/or recovery zones on a few of the longer holes. North Carolina has a challenge that northern designers do not have to encounter and that is the thickness of the undergrowth under even the highest canopy. This makes for absolutely no option if your even 10 feet off the fairways at Nevin but to pitch out and redrive. I like the risk reward of trying an overhand or some ridiculous line through the woods rather than merely pitching back to the fairway each time. On shorter holes I can see the importance of keeping the integrity of the fairways but once a hole is over 500 feet the designers have to do something to allow some more creativity from players than constantly just merely pitching out....this aspect bored me at Nevin and I wanted to take a chance at some crazy recovery but it was never there...not once.
I would have rather been tempted to tomahawk rather than putting backwards to the fairway over and over. With the length and size of Nevin it will never be played as much as Reedy nor will players ever land in the same areas over and over as there is so much area to be beaten in. The course needs to be thinned out along some fairways to allow for some dramatic and fun recovery...in no way would this weaken the difficulty of the course or make it play easier.....it would just add another element of shot-making and fun to what already is one of my favorite courses to date.
Other Thoughts: I played Nevin in January and to me it was perfect. It may play more difficult in summer and for this I hope some additional thinning of schule is eventually undertaken.
Regardless this is the ONE course I will reccomend to traveling players when they visit Charlotte.
It's Iron Hill plus fun and Nockamixon minus the bad footing.

A thinker's course

5+    11/14/2010   11/18/2010
Review By: Ploughdeep
Pros: Nevin is likely to damage your self esteem right out of the gate, but if you can manage to pick yourself up off the canvas, you can be friends with it. More than any other course I've played, this one has the potential to make me a better (i.e., smarter) player with each attempt. One day soon I will own it. For now, Nevin owns me.

The first time this course mocks you, you'll be tempted to think it was just fatigue or poor execution that made you tank; don't fall for it. Nevin is designed mess with your head, not your arm. It's engineered to trick you into choosing shots that are too aggressive, too subtle or too clever at the wrong times. There are at least 18 unique riddles to solve here, and you will need to bring all your discs, all your shots and all your wits to get it done.

Memorable Features:
-Loooong holes that twist and turn, up and down, in and out of the woods from shot to shot;
-Baskets you can't even see until your third shot;
-A narrow double mando gate at 130' on #14;
-Blind dop offs behind the baskets on 3 and 7;
...and a dubious "Ace" claim written on the bench at the #9 tee. Really? It's 600' uphill under a canopy with a dogleg right at 450'. Who did that? How, exactly?
Cons: Watch your step. There are holes everywhere. The parks department has done an excellent job clearing trees to make fairways, but they left hundreds of deep 10"-30" diameter holes all over the place that will break your leg if you're not watching where you put your feet.
Beyond that, I wouldn't change a thing.

Date: 11/6/2012 Designer Response by: 1978
Thank you for te review!

The Charlotte Disc Golf Club volunteers, mainly Mark Huether, Matt Keatts, and Stan McDaniel cut fairways. I think most of the holes have been filled but some remain, especially off the fairways. They were left from pine trees dying when the park transitioned to hardwood forests and the stumps degrading. Many are hidden by leaves so be careful.

Tough But Great

5+    11/7/2010   11/7/2010
Review By: terptwerp
Pros: This course will test your skills. The holes are very long and narrow. You can not relax on any of the holes, since almost every one requires total concentration.
Cons: If you end up more than 2 feet off the fairway, you are in big trouble. Unlike other courses where you can save a bad drive by making a good approach shot, you are likely to need 2-3 shots just to get back to the fairway. Removing a few trees from most of the holes would make it more fair.
Other Thoughts: This is a very tough course that will test your skills. It can be frustrating, but will provide a great challenge. It is also only a few miles from Hornets Nest, so you can play both courses if you are feeling ambitious.