Charlotte, NC
Nevin Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: 1978 Hole #7 (Taken 9/2010)

1    1/24/2012   1/25/2012
Review By: xcrunner134life
Pros: Excellent layout
Easy to get around
Difficult, but not crazy hard. If you keep it in the fairway, you are generally rewarded.
If you wanted to play the longer course, you don't have to go hunting for the long tees.
Good use of elevation changes.
Cons: Hole map at tee boxes would be nice. Most holes had a hand drawn map, but not all.
Some of the par 4s are more like long 3s
Other Thoughts: First time playing the course and I found it very easy to get around. Really the only downer to my round was it had rained the previous four days and everything was still very wet and muddy. HOWEVER, I was still able to get around the course with relative ease. Pushing my daughters stroller around the course was pretty easy. I only had issues with the mud. I will be playing this course again.

Don't be scared, Nevin is wonderful!

2-4    7/4/2011   7/5/2011
Review By: denny ritner
Pros: Nevin is the king of the wooded courses! The course is almost entirely under a gorgeous tree canopy with fairways that are appropriately wide for the required shot lengths. Nevin will challenge your ability to hit tight lines, shape shots, recover from trouble, strategize, and putt to baskets near drop-off's. Having extra power can help a bit, but only if it is controlled.

Nevin is a very demanding challenge, but the beauty of the woods, light schule, ease of navigation, and ease of traversing the terrain won't leave you feeling as exhausted as Renny.

If you believe in the myth that "all holes are par 3's", come play a real disc golf course like Nevin and you'll see the light. For both sets of tees the pars as listed (64/68) are right on for the blue level. Gold level players should be able to shoot well under, but the challenge factor is still more than enough to separate players by skill for the 2012 Worlds.

Nevin is my favorite Charlotte-area course and a strong candidate for the DGCR top ten list.
Cons: The course does not loop back to the parking area after 9 holes.

The course could benefit greatly from having a minimum of two tees on every hole and preferably three complete sets of tees on the course. The track is gorgeous and should be enjoyed by players of all abilities.

There are a couple safety hazards. Hole 11 sets up for a righty hyzer shot over the bike path. Hole 15 shoots straight up a winding bike path for the first 100 ft. or so. The long pad on hole 16 is one of the most insanely dangerous shots I've ever seen designed. A blind bike path crosses the fairway at about the 120 ft. mark, where a well thrown drive would be just about at head height to kill a biker that would come cruising down the hill. There is PLENTY of room in the park to create a course that has adequate safety buffers along the bike paths.
Other Thoughts: Nevin is a great part of the awesome Charlotte area disc golf scene. At present, North Carolina doesn't have any courses on the DGCR top ten list, but overall I don't see any city that stacks up with Charlotte in terms of the number and quality of disc golf options within a short drive.

Don't be a dirty discer, leave the course cleaner than the way you found it.

Date: 11/9/2012 Designer Response by: 1978
Thank you Denny for the thoughtful review.
Hole 11 is no more. It has been redesigned to the right of 10's basket. A fully wooded par 4.

The first 150' of #16 is a wooded peninsula bordered by a walking trail. Both sides of the path are visible from the tee, visibility was discussed at length before pad pouring. The reviewers opinion at the danger of this hole may be over-stated. I have seen many more populated and dangerous disc golf holes in my travels. I am in agreement that sightlines should be expanded and cleared further and this will be completed.

Nevin was designed for advanced level players. Short holes at this park are only for speed of play in major tournaments (specifically Worlds). Because of the density of intermediate level courses in the immediate area there is not a need for recreational skill level holes.

It is this designers opinion that players navigating Nevin should experience the full version and not a watered down version. Future planned work is all targeted on increased difficulty and fairness.

A course for "Manly" men

1    5/31/2011   6/2/2011
Review By: forehandfranz
This review was updated on 5/21/2013
Pros: The primary strengths of this course are that it has the ability to make you weep like a baby if you don't respect her authoritah! This wooded course has a variety of holes that will make you use every shot and make you use control over power, shot after shot, hole after hole.

This course is a gold level challenge all the way, but intermediate players will like it , as they will become better players if they stick with it. Many of the holes have narrow fairways lines with thick trees and underbrush on the edges. Some of them are par 4 and 5. Others are par 3, but will have sheer drop-offs behind the pin. For example- Hole #7 is a 202' slight dogleg left that has a 10' opening about 30' off the tee, but if you make it through the opening you are sailing toward the ace.....but behind the pin it devilishly drops immediately 20' to wispy trees below that can impede on your path to the basket high above. Not all holes are like this. There are some classic wide fairway shots that either have speckled trees in the fairway, or are bordered with thick forest or OB or mandos to make you honest.

The best (or some may say worst) characteristics of Nevin are that you have little time to ever relax. If you take your time and step back into a "placement and accuracy attitude" you will enjoy your experience. There are a few shorter holes where you have some ace or birdie opps, so don't fret!

As for amenities - tee pads are long and grippy, navigation is good (look for the next tee arrows), and there was no litter that I could see. The signs were very helpful too. Yardage markers along the fairways were sure a bonus!
Cons: This is only a con for beginners - this course is not for you. Even if they added shorter tee pads, I still think they would be frustrated. The fact that Charlotte has so many nice courses gives them other options.... So this does not detract from my rating.

This con may diminish over time (as the rough beats in), but much like Iron Hill- if you go a few feet out of the fairway, you are likely pitching out, which is almost like a lost stroke. It would be nice to have the opportunity to have some heroic saves from time to time.

Other Thoughts: I shot a 70 my first time and actually felt good about my round. Mistakes will happen, and I accepted them. If you go in with a more conservative attitude, you will enjoy your experience, and spend less time in the rough. Grip and rip could be your demise.....

Tough wooded challenge

1    4/18/2011   5/8/2011
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through dense woods with some nice elevation changes. The hills are used very well to add challenge and fun, with some cool uphill and downhill holes and some fast greens that add challenge to your short game. The course is technical, the couple holes that have more open drives require good placement to have a good look at the second shot. If you miss your line, you'll be penalized with dense rough and lots of trees.

There's a great mix of hole shapes here, with a balanced st of right and left turning holes to challenge all the shots in your bag. The course plays pretty long, especially from the pro tees, but there are reachable holes mixed in to keep things interesting. The tees are nice concrete pads with good texture and plenty of room. The signage is basic, but adequate to figure out the course.
Cons: The rough is so thick throughout most of the course that you never have the chance to be creative if you miss your line. I like punishment for missing the fairway, but it gets a little old to be just pitching back out every time. There are lots of fairways that have stumps and roots under the leaves, watch your step.
Other Thoughts: This is a very challenging course, that will test your line shaping skills and rewards players that can accurately hit longer shots through the woods. The shorter tees are a great challenge for intermediate players, they offer great variety with a little less challenge. The pro tees are just plain tough, they would offer a real challenge for even the best players. Beginners won't have much fun here, it's just too long and punishing even from the short tees.

A Toughy

1    3/12/2011   3/15/2011
Review By: vonDrehle
This review was updated on 5/22/2013
Pros: -This course requires a lot of different shots from the teepad which is really nice.
-The tees were very nice with long teepads and very accurate portrayals of the hole on the signs. Be sure to notice the arrows indicating the slope on the holes before you play as many times you can't see the basket for a few shots.
-There are distances lined down each hole like you would find in ball golf and I found that very nice since a lot of your shots are used trying to get to a good layup spot.
-Great signage to get you from one hole to the next. It was our first time playing and we never got lost.
Cons: -The par 5's seemed a little much for me. You could shoot well on them if you just took a bunch of straight shots or thumbers but even then you can find trouble. I found them to be more work than fun unlike say the par 5 at Hornets Nest that is challenging but still fun.
-I also found that many of the holes I was just hoping for a par which can get pretty dull.
-A few times we didn't realize there was a short tee and a long tee (hole 1 for instance) but we may have missed the signs.
Other Thoughts: I really liked this course and aside from the par 5's I enjoyed my round. This is definitely a course that requires multiple plays to master it. Many times on the teepad I thought one shot was appropriate but when I got to my drive I realized I should have done something completely different. #18 was my favorite hole it is long but with 2 good shots and a putt you can make a 3 on it. This course will definitely challenge both your physical game and your mental game and that isn't a bad thing.

**Update: More benches installed so yo have a place to cry and collect yourself after each hole.

Perspective from a local

1    3/13/2011   3/13/2011
Review By: 5slamma
Pros: I live in Charlotte and this is the first time playing this course. This is an EXHAUSTING course that requires one to take their time. No quick matches - be sure you have extra time and patience to get through this one.

Tee Pads are all consistently made: about 10 feet long - this is plenty of space for most of us, never had to start my drive behind the pad. Love the tee at Hole 8 where you have the option of going right or left, and the pad is shaped to facilitate driving either direction.

Tee Signs/Maps/Markers - no map at some holes but not really a problem. Signage is overall excellent. Mandos, next tees, and distances all clearly marked.

No problems with foliage. We spent our share of time in the rough but no lost discs. That will certainly change in the Spring / Summer. I had a few spots where the briars were thick even in winter. I will approach this course with caution in the warm growth months.

Optimization of elevation is quite well done. Hole 18 has a tremendous valley where you drive downhill. I do like opportunities for longer drives like this hole provides. There are a few other similar ones but I'll always be able to picture 18 when I close my eyes - it's memorable.

Nice variety of shots required - fairways vary in direction, angle, length, and elevation where the game stays interesting.

The back 9 has beautiful scenery: creeks, bridges, walking paths. I was feeling great at holes 15-16. The airplanes were no longer overhead and it was peaceful. Good place to be.
Cons: Benches were missing where needed the most: just before and after the long par 4/5 holes. Funny there was a horseshoe field that had benches laid out at each throw point and we had to walk right by them knowing that our disc golf pad had none. I was jealous that the horseshoe throwers seemed to get more love than us.

Trash bins were missing from most of the front 9 holes. Back 9 had more trash receptacles but still not every hole.

Noise: Airplanes taking off overhead for most of the front 9 which was a nuisance. Also lots of cars w/ loud bass music driving by. Not the most serene or quiet of courses.

Hole 7 had some wicked nails and boards on the pair of trees just in front of the tee pad that scared the bejeezus outta me - I could see one of my nice discs getting impaled on a nail head, made me condiser throwing one of my less favorites just in case.
Other Thoughts: Course Flow: I was needing a major break after hole 9, but there was nothing but a few benches, another parking lot, and a long walk back to the car. I do hear some folks wrap back to the car after 12 but I think next time I might park in the lot at 9 and leave a cooler in the car, then walk back to start at 1 with the "warm-fuzzy" feeling of cold beer waiting before the back nine. This is very important for such a long course.

Overall challenge was extreme. This was a physically exhausting course. I'd never consider trying to play a quick match out here. You must take your time or you will lose discs and maybe even injure yourself if not careful.

Security: I would not leave any valuables in sight in your car. You shouldn't need me to tell you this. Thieves look for easy opportunities - don't give it to em.

I'm rating this course a 4.0 because it was still very fun - even with sore leg muscles, raw thighs, and the jet airplanes trying to disrupt my mojo.

Date: 11/6/2012 Designer Response by: 1978
The reviewer is correct however I can provide a little more detail.
Trash cans are permanent on holes 1, 3, 7, 11(moved to 12), 13, 15, 18. Biased by 1 to the back 9. The thought was that people would finish drinks more towards the back of the course. These are all the locations the park department was willing to empty and volunteer resources to empty additional cans have been unreliable.

Flatland View of Nevin

2-4    3/5/2011   3/7/2011
Review By: tombraiderchuck
This review was updated on 3/14/2011
Pros: Are you able to throw 260 feet? When you release the disc? The right direction?
The course is clear and clean and Fair!!!!
Plenty of Fairway must throw drivers to obtain a Five.
The Course is LONG. LONG means 2 Great Drives and you have a layup 3. 4 putt 5 in.
really long. You have to love the long. 2-3 drives to get near the basket on about 8 holes. Honestly, on the second round, I walked up to the tee and said why is this hole like this? LONG FAIR Holes. Plenty of elevation. Any more than 2 rounds and you are a trooper.
Cons: A couple more garbage collection. They have garbage cans on about every 4 holes from my experience.
I needed more cans for some reason.

you just finished a 580 ft hole. walk to the next box, 635 ft hole, next hole 520 ft. It can wear you down arm and body.
Other Thoughts: Do you have the mental fortitude? Your body will wear out on 2 rounds.

Tired, but happy

1    2/22/2011   2/22/2011
Review By: Sabooo
Pros: There is an awful lot to like about this course. The park is great, and huge. The scenery is very nice on almost every hole. Trash cans are abundant, there are benches at (almost if not) every hole. I love the fact that the DGC does not interfere in any way with the rest of the activities that take place in the park. A few holes cross paths, but beyond that the only thing in our way is other DG'ers.

I found the holes to be very well thought out. The layout does a great job of taking advantage of the best of the natural terrain, with good use of elevation on many holes.

Course signage is outstanding. I played all 18 without a tour guide, and didn't get lost at all. I especially liked the mid-fairway distance indicators

I am a novice player at best, and I came nowhere near par, spending quite a bit of time in the rough on either side of the fairway. The good news is that the underbrush is quite thin, and I had no trouble tracking down my errant plastic.

I understand some other reviewers were frustrated by this course, and I have to admit standing on a tee pad or two and thinking that the hole in front of me was a bit sadistic. But when you rip one straight down one of these chutes and it lays down right where you wanted it, it is incredibly rewarding.

There are a large amount of details that make navigation safer on the course. That includes what look to be new bridges over the deeper ditches, steps built into some of the steeper hillsides, and it's obvious that quite a bit of care goes into keeping the prickly and poison things from being a nuisance.
Cons:
My biggest grumble all day came from tripping and stumbling over Stumps hiding in the leaf litter! Watch your step.

Some of the holes seem to be a bit long for no reason other than to say they're long, playing right over some very nice basket locations in the '450 to '550 range.
Other Thoughts: The worst thing on this course was my ability. But my frustration with my play had nothing to do with the course, the course just helped to point out weaknesses. Saying that is a fault of the course is like blaming the disc for my shot.

This is truly a destination course in my opinion, and I hope you find time to play it should you be in the area.

Thanks to everyone who has a hand in taking care of the course, you all should be proud of what you've accomplished here!

Prepare for a beat down

1    2/5/2011   2/6/2011
Review By: culinarywiz
Pros: Well maintianed

Rustic

Conctrete pads and plenty of amenities

Very good signage
Cons: Difficult does not properly describe this course

Fun? Anyone? Bueller?
Other Thoughts: This course is beyond brutal.

Difficulty does not directly equate to quality when designing disc golf courses. For me, the most important aspect of disc golf is FUN. Enjoyment. Good times, man. This course is NOT fun. I seriously hated most of it. I wanted to pick up my disc and leave many times.

So, here is a break down of the layout;
You start with a long, tight hole. This is followed by a tight, long hole. Then there are a few tight, long, doglegs. Then you finish with some really tight and long holes. I actually began wishing I had loner discs so I could spare my plastic from this heinous torture.

There was very little diversity here. The whole course felt very monotonous. It is hands down the most difficult course I have ever played.

Still, this course is very well put together. If this is the style of golf you enjoy, then this has been meticulously detailed and maintained for you. The pads, baskets, signage and benches are all in great shape. There are some nice elevation changes. There actually are a couple ace runs, you just have to thread a needle to do it.

Obviously, this course isn't my cup of tea. I play to have fun, not to get beat like a tied down goat. But if you truly want to test your ability to throw error free disc golf, then this could be the best course in the nation.

Great job design team!

1    1/23/2011   1/27/2011
Review By: BobbyC13
Pros: Everything about this course was fun! Great signs and concrete teepads. Nice baskets! Well layed out and very well thought out! This course was pleasantly challenging!
Cons: No cons! Easy to follow!
Other Thoughts: Great job CDGC!!!!