Charlotte, NC
Nevin Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: 1978 Hole #17 (Taken 9/2010)
Hole #17 Approach

Flatland View of Nevin

2-4    3/5/2011   3/7/2011
Review By: tombraiderchuck
This review was updated on 3/14/2011
Pros: Are you able to throw 260 feet? When you release the disc? The right direction?
The course is clear and clean and Fair!!!!
Plenty of Fairway must throw drivers to obtain a Five.
The Course is LONG. LONG means 2 Great Drives and you have a layup 3. 4 putt 5 in.
really long. You have to love the long. 2-3 drives to get near the basket on about 8 holes. Honestly, on the second round, I walked up to the tee and said why is this hole like this? LONG FAIR Holes. Plenty of elevation. Any more than 2 rounds and you are a trooper.
Cons: A couple more garbage collection. They have garbage cans on about every 4 holes from my experience.
I needed more cans for some reason.

you just finished a 580 ft hole. walk to the next box, 635 ft hole, next hole 520 ft. It can wear you down arm and body.
Other Thoughts: Do you have the mental fortitude? Your body will wear out on 2 rounds.

Tired, but happy

1    2/22/2011   2/22/2011
Review By: Sabooo
Pros: There is an awful lot to like about this course. The park is great, and huge. The scenery is very nice on almost every hole. Trash cans are abundant, there are benches at (almost if not) every hole. I love the fact that the DGC does not interfere in any way with the rest of the activities that take place in the park. A few holes cross paths, but beyond that the only thing in our way is other DG'ers.

I found the holes to be very well thought out. The layout does a great job of taking advantage of the best of the natural terrain, with good use of elevation on many holes.

Course signage is outstanding. I played all 18 without a tour guide, and didn't get lost at all. I especially liked the mid-fairway distance indicators

I am a novice player at best, and I came nowhere near par, spending quite a bit of time in the rough on either side of the fairway. The good news is that the underbrush is quite thin, and I had no trouble tracking down my errant plastic.

I understand some other reviewers were frustrated by this course, and I have to admit standing on a tee pad or two and thinking that the hole in front of me was a bit sadistic. But when you rip one straight down one of these chutes and it lays down right where you wanted it, it is incredibly rewarding.

There are a large amount of details that make navigation safer on the course. That includes what look to be new bridges over the deeper ditches, steps built into some of the steeper hillsides, and it's obvious that quite a bit of care goes into keeping the prickly and poison things from being a nuisance.
Cons:
My biggest grumble all day came from tripping and stumbling over Stumps hiding in the leaf litter! Watch your step.

Some of the holes seem to be a bit long for no reason other than to say they're long, playing right over some very nice basket locations in the '450 to '550 range.
Other Thoughts: The worst thing on this course was my ability. But my frustration with my play had nothing to do with the course, the course just helped to point out weaknesses. Saying that is a fault of the course is like blaming the disc for my shot.

This is truly a destination course in my opinion, and I hope you find time to play it should you be in the area.

Thanks to everyone who has a hand in taking care of the course, you all should be proud of what you've accomplished here!

Prepare for a beat down

1    2/5/2011   2/6/2011
Review By: culinarywiz
Pros: Well maintianed

Rustic

Conctrete pads and plenty of amenities

Very good signage
Cons: Difficult does not properly describe this course

Fun? Anyone? Bueller?
Other Thoughts: This course is beyond brutal.

Difficulty does not directly equate to quality when designing disc golf courses. For me, the most important aspect of disc golf is FUN. Enjoyment. Good times, man. This course is NOT fun. I seriously hated most of it. I wanted to pick up my disc and leave many times.

So, here is a break down of the layout;
You start with a long, tight hole. This is followed by a tight, long hole. Then there are a few tight, long, doglegs. Then you finish with some really tight and long holes. I actually began wishing I had loner discs so I could spare my plastic from this heinous torture.

There was very little diversity here. The whole course felt very monotonous. It is hands down the most difficult course I have ever played.

Still, this course is very well put together. If this is the style of golf you enjoy, then this has been meticulously detailed and maintained for you. The pads, baskets, signage and benches are all in great shape. There are some nice elevation changes. There actually are a couple ace runs, you just have to thread a needle to do it.

Obviously, this course isn't my cup of tea. I play to have fun, not to get beat like a tied down goat. But if you truly want to test your ability to throw error free disc golf, then this could be the best course in the nation.

Great job design team!

1    1/23/2011   1/27/2011
Review By: BobbyC13
Pros: Everything about this course was fun! Great signs and concrete teepads. Nice baskets! Well layed out and very well thought out! This course was pleasantly challenging!
Cons: No cons! Easy to follow!
Other Thoughts: Great job CDGC!!!!

Notorious Evil Vanguard Is Nasty

1    1/1/2011   1/7/2011
Review By: optidiscic
Pros: Ranks at the top of the most challenging disc golf course layouts I have ever played. I loved Nevin in all it's punishing glory because it exposed my flaws and my score rose from my mistakes not from some other means like other difficult courses. This wooded beast has ample fairways that invite you to throw your driver, and you should throw your driver. The difficulty comes from the long but FAIR lines that must be hit to achieve a respectable score. Let me repeat you should drive through the woods here...if you don't you will be playing bogey golf with no chance at par. Thats the kind of disc golf I enjoy. Demanding you to hit your lines to achieve par. Punishes laying up as the distance is too great to go mid-range to mid-range yet woodsy enough to punish errant drives. The high scores are derived from player mistakes and NOT rollaway greens, elevated baskets, unavoidable ravines, OOB, excessive water, wind, or too tight fairways. When you play these holes you have that feeling that you can achieve par each time but it's a matter of will you be able to execute. Luck really isnt a factor as much as decision-making and skill.
This was my favorite amongst the higher rated Charlotte courses. Iron Hill in DE and Nockamixon in PA are the only similiar courses I have ever played to this beast. It's not that the course kicks your ass it's more that you kick yourself for messing up....thats good design in my book.
This course does provide a slew of excellent par 3s that will challenge you, frustrate you and feed your addiction with moments of ecstasy and agony. Many looong layouts lack this mix of fun yet difficult par 3s.
For a wooded course the footing was excellent and there were minimal if any thorns...I was off the fairways quite often.
I really enjoyed the use of fast greens which were not over the top but allowed for conservative play if you wanted to add a stroke for laying up vs demanding you triple putt with a gimmicky high basket. (yeah I'm slamming the other Charlotte courses but this one gets it right...If I punk out I should take a stroke for playing safe and not be forced to triple quadruple putt from OOB for missing a forced putt due to no lay-up option)
OOB was minimal....really it's not even needed here as the course derives the difficulty and not silly mandos and contrived OOB. There were some oob and mandos but they added to the experience and were there for obvious safety concerns.
Avoids park congestion...other than a shot near horseshoe pits and 2 over a walking path I felt like I was deep within a PA state park playing real woods golf.
Elevation and Woods used in conjunction to create a masterpiece of forward thinking design and not forgetting what makes disc golf fun.
I make no bones about my love for wooded fairway driving and my disdain for placement landing golf but holes 12 and 14 are all about landing safely and setting up your second shot. I enjoyed these shots as it tempered the wide open holes with some punishment for recklessness.
The short holes provided enough trouble to make a 3 feel earned and a deuce was something special.
The longer par 4s and 5s were often filled with difficult lines, crazy looks, and wtf moments but never did I feel like it was impossible to achieve.
Holes 5 and 10 might be the most challenging woods holes I have ever played.
Dual fairway on hole 8 was a treat and offered a true decision-making off the tee.
The final 3 holes classify as spectacular finishers with reasonable fairways and attainable pars if you can play within your means and do not mess up.
The flow of the course was excellent with paths and signage adequate. Just when you're weary of arduous long woods you are met with an interesting par 3. Just as your sick of open air your back in the woods.
18 ranks in my top disc golf holes and truly is a masterpiece that is well earned after one grueling round of disc golf.
Dual Tees on many holes and perfectly textured concrete on every hole.
I love hearing the top pros bitch and lose it about a course....this one should make for some hilarious moments at 2012 Worlds. I'd camp out on holes 5 and 10 and laugh myself silly all day long at Worlds if I was a local.
For the record I played terrible at Nevin but am sure I could do better and am drawn back to Charlotte solely for this course alone. This is the one I want some revenge on. Utopian mix of difficulty and fun! Good Job Guys.
Cons: I really only have one issue with Nevin and that is the lack of landing areas and/or recovery zones on a few of the longer holes. North Carolina has a challenge that northern designers do not have to encounter and that is the thickness of the undergrowth under even the highest canopy. This makes for absolutely no option if your even 10 feet off the fairways at Nevin but to pitch out and redrive. I like the risk reward of trying an overhand or some ridiculous line through the woods rather than merely pitching back to the fairway each time. On shorter holes I can see the importance of keeping the integrity of the fairways but once a hole is over 500 feet the designers have to do something to allow some more creativity from players than constantly just merely pitching out....this aspect bored me at Nevin and I wanted to take a chance at some crazy recovery but it was never there...not once.
I would have rather been tempted to tomahawk rather than putting backwards to the fairway over and over. With the length and size of Nevin it will never be played as much as Reedy nor will players ever land in the same areas over and over as there is so much area to be beaten in. The course needs to be thinned out along some fairways to allow for some dramatic and fun recovery...in no way would this weaken the difficulty of the course or make it play easier.....it would just add another element of shot-making and fun to what already is one of my favorite courses to date.
Other Thoughts: I played Nevin in January and to me it was perfect. It may play more difficult in summer and for this I hope some additional thinning of schule is eventually undertaken.
Regardless this is the ONE course I will reccomend to traveling players when they visit Charlotte.
It's Iron Hill plus fun and Nockamixon minus the bad footing.

A thinker's course

5+    11/14/2010   11/18/2010
Review By: Ploughdeep
Pros: Nevin is likely to damage your self esteem right out of the gate, but if you can manage to pick yourself up off the canvas, you can be friends with it. More than any other course I've played, this one has the potential to make me a better (i.e., smarter) player with each attempt. One day soon I will own it. For now, Nevin owns me.

The first time this course mocks you, you'll be tempted to think it was just fatigue or poor execution that made you tank; don't fall for it. Nevin is designed mess with your head, not your arm. It's engineered to trick you into choosing shots that are too aggressive, too subtle or too clever at the wrong times. There are at least 18 unique riddles to solve here, and you will need to bring all your discs, all your shots and all your wits to get it done.

Memorable Features:
-Loooong holes that twist and turn, up and down, in and out of the woods from shot to shot;
-Baskets you can't even see until your third shot;
-A narrow double mando gate at 130' on #14;
-Blind dop offs behind the baskets on 3 and 7;
...and a dubious "Ace" claim written on the bench at the #9 tee. Really? It's 600' uphill under a canopy with a dogleg right at 450'. Who did that? How, exactly?
Cons: Watch your step. There are holes everywhere. The parks department has done an excellent job clearing trees to make fairways, but they left hundreds of deep 10"-30" diameter holes all over the place that will break your leg if you're not watching where you put your feet.
Beyond that, I wouldn't change a thing.

Date: 11/6/2012 Designer Response by: 1978
Thank you for te review!

The Charlotte Disc Golf Club volunteers, mainly Mark Huether, Matt Keatts, and Stan McDaniel cut fairways. I think most of the holes have been filled but some remain, especially off the fairways. They were left from pine trees dying when the park transitioned to hardwood forests and the stumps degrading. Many are hidden by leaves so be careful.

Tough But Great

5+    11/7/2010   11/7/2010
Review By: terptwerp
Pros: This course will test your skills. The holes are very long and narrow. You can not relax on any of the holes, since almost every one requires total concentration.
Cons: If you end up more than 2 feet off the fairway, you are in big trouble. Unlike other courses where you can save a bad drive by making a good approach shot, you are likely to need 2-3 shots just to get back to the fairway. Removing a few trees from most of the holes would make it more fair.
Other Thoughts: This is a very tough course that will test your skills. It can be frustrating, but will provide a great challenge. It is also only a few miles from Hornets Nest, so you can play both courses if you are feeling ambitious.

NOT for the faint of heart

1    9/1/2010   9/1/2010
Review By: Jermy
Pros: OK, first, this course is CHALLENGING!
Very long, very technical, and very fun.
Concrete T-pads, some decent (handdrawn) signnage, and very thought out , long, layout
Cons: DIFFICULT, have i said its long yet?
NOT beginner friendly, this course will kick most seasoned player's asses (which is also a pro! )
Other Thoughts: Bottom line- this course is new, still a ton of work to be done on it. In it's current state it is very impressive and ambitious.
This course is definitely looking to be a gold level championship course, its still got a good deal of work that needs to be done, but so far so good.

The length and hole layout is going to challenge damn near anyone, normally I would count this sort of difficulty as a fault, but NC has SO many courses in this area that a course like this isn't going to inhibit anyone from learning the sport.

The course seems like the parks just gave people this forest and said have your way with it. You can literally see where they carved their way through the dense forest to make way for the fairways that make up this course. Definitely a must play for any serious disc'er

- also- see brotherdave's review! he hits the nail right smack center on the head. this course definitely wants to kick your ass and take your lunch money

Top 5 favorite courses

1    8/14/2010   8/18/2010
Review By: philman
Pros: I loved this course. It was long, it was hard and it was fun. I think this is the best course in Charlotte period. My friends and I played Renaissance,Hornets nest and this. I love NC golf, and Nevin is well worth the drive.
Cons: I can't play it on weekends because I live in Cincy.
Other Thoughts: Keep up the great work.

Nevin ain't Heaven

1    7/18/2010   7/19/2010
Review By: BrotherDave
This review was updated on 11/18/2010
Pros: I'm going to cut to the chase on this one. This course has:
Length with a capital L.
Well-defined fairways.
Signage and great tees.
A practice basket.
L-R variety.
Holes that require placement.
Memorable holes.
Cons: This course hates you. It hits the alarm clock before the sun rises so that it has time to prepare itself properly for hating you. It will kick your dog in the face. It ate your last piece of pie that your mom baked for you, then it threw it up on your best shirt. Think you made a good drive? Nope, the course will put your disc in a ditch, behind a cluster of trees, or kick it into the schule with it's many roots. Make a bad throw? Expect to make about 5 more before the hole is over. The course has open holes too, but you won't like them. Because there is just enough briers and weeds growing up on the fairway to make losing a disc easy or the fairway itself, like the wooded holes, never ceases to be "too clever" for its own good. Like the double mando on hole # 14. Sure, the mando on the right is cool, it keeps discs from flying into the neighborhood on the right, but the other mando some 30' to the left kind of forms a clown's mouth with the branches, an evil, sadistic clown that takes pleasure in popping kids' balloons. So what you get essentially is a ~10' tall by 30' wide window to hit up hill on a 500'+ hole, 200'+ from the tee. The question is, why? Why must every hole go out of its way to mock you? (That hole really isn't that bad/hard). But this is the way you feel if you can't hit narrow gap after narrow gap and land your disc with remote control precision.
Other Thoughts: There's a lot of cool, neat holes here. And most of them force you to think strategically. The problem is, it seems like even when you do every thing right, these holes find a way to deprive you from getting par. I'm all for clever bends and switch backs and dog legs but at some point you get tired of pushing the boulder uphill and you want a "dumbed down" hole to relax, get some confidence back, and key word here: Enjoy. This course has everything design wise that you can conceivably ask for, except enjoyment. But if you enjoy immense challenges that never seemingly never end and a course that gives good scores only to those favored by the Gods, then maybe Nevin is Heaven.