Charlotte, NC
Nevin Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: 1978 Hole #4 (Taken 9/2010)
Hole #4 Approach

Great job design team!

1    1/23/2011   1/27/2011
Review By: BobbyC13
Pros: Everything about this course was fun! Great signs and concrete teepads. Nice baskets! Well layed out and very well thought out! This course was pleasantly challenging!
Cons: No cons! Easy to follow!
Other Thoughts: Great job CDGC!!!!

Notorious Evil Vanguard Is Nasty

1    1/1/2011   1/7/2011
Review By: optidiscic
Pros: Ranks at the top of the most challenging disc golf course layouts I have ever played. I loved Nevin in all it's punishing glory because it exposed my flaws and my score rose from my mistakes not from some other means like other difficult courses. This wooded beast has ample fairways that invite you to throw your driver, and you should throw your driver. The difficulty comes from the long but FAIR lines that must be hit to achieve a respectable score. Let me repeat you should drive through the woods here...if you don't you will be playing bogey golf with no chance at par. Thats the kind of disc golf I enjoy. Demanding you to hit your lines to achieve par. Punishes laying up as the distance is too great to go mid-range to mid-range yet woodsy enough to punish errant drives. The high scores are derived from player mistakes and NOT rollaway greens, elevated baskets, unavoidable ravines, OOB, excessive water, wind, or too tight fairways. When you play these holes you have that feeling that you can achieve par each time but it's a matter of will you be able to execute. Luck really isnt a factor as much as decision-making and skill.
This was my favorite amongst the higher rated Charlotte courses. Iron Hill in DE and Nockamixon in PA are the only similiar courses I have ever played to this beast. It's not that the course kicks your ass it's more that you kick yourself for messing up....thats good design in my book.
This course does provide a slew of excellent par 3s that will challenge you, frustrate you and feed your addiction with moments of ecstasy and agony. Many looong layouts lack this mix of fun yet difficult par 3s.
For a wooded course the footing was excellent and there were minimal if any thorns...I was off the fairways quite often.
I really enjoyed the use of fast greens which were not over the top but allowed for conservative play if you wanted to add a stroke for laying up vs demanding you triple putt with a gimmicky high basket. (yeah I'm slamming the other Charlotte courses but this one gets it right...If I punk out I should take a stroke for playing safe and not be forced to triple quadruple putt from OOB for missing a forced putt due to no lay-up option)
OOB was minimal....really it's not even needed here as the course derives the difficulty and not silly mandos and contrived OOB. There were some oob and mandos but they added to the experience and were there for obvious safety concerns.
Avoids park congestion...other than a shot near horseshoe pits and 2 over a walking path I felt like I was deep within a PA state park playing real woods golf.
Elevation and Woods used in conjunction to create a masterpiece of forward thinking design and not forgetting what makes disc golf fun.
I make no bones about my love for wooded fairway driving and my disdain for placement landing golf but holes 12 and 14 are all about landing safely and setting up your second shot. I enjoyed these shots as it tempered the wide open holes with some punishment for recklessness.
The short holes provided enough trouble to make a 3 feel earned and a deuce was something special.
The longer par 4s and 5s were often filled with difficult lines, crazy looks, and wtf moments but never did I feel like it was impossible to achieve.
Holes 5 and 10 might be the most challenging woods holes I have ever played.
Dual fairway on hole 8 was a treat and offered a true decision-making off the tee.
The final 3 holes classify as spectacular finishers with reasonable fairways and attainable pars if you can play within your means and do not mess up.
The flow of the course was excellent with paths and signage adequate. Just when you're weary of arduous long woods you are met with an interesting par 3. Just as your sick of open air your back in the woods.
18 ranks in my top disc golf holes and truly is a masterpiece that is well earned after one grueling round of disc golf.
Dual Tees on many holes and perfectly textured concrete on every hole.
I love hearing the top pros bitch and lose it about a course....this one should make for some hilarious moments at 2012 Worlds. I'd camp out on holes 5 and 10 and laugh myself silly all day long at Worlds if I was a local.
For the record I played terrible at Nevin but am sure I could do better and am drawn back to Charlotte solely for this course alone. This is the one I want some revenge on. Utopian mix of difficulty and fun! Good Job Guys.
Cons: I really only have one issue with Nevin and that is the lack of landing areas and/or recovery zones on a few of the longer holes. North Carolina has a challenge that northern designers do not have to encounter and that is the thickness of the undergrowth under even the highest canopy. This makes for absolutely no option if your even 10 feet off the fairways at Nevin but to pitch out and redrive. I like the risk reward of trying an overhand or some ridiculous line through the woods rather than merely pitching back to the fairway each time. On shorter holes I can see the importance of keeping the integrity of the fairways but once a hole is over 500 feet the designers have to do something to allow some more creativity from players than constantly just merely pitching out....this aspect bored me at Nevin and I wanted to take a chance at some crazy recovery but it was never there...not once.
I would have rather been tempted to tomahawk rather than putting backwards to the fairway over and over. With the length and size of Nevin it will never be played as much as Reedy nor will players ever land in the same areas over and over as there is so much area to be beaten in. The course needs to be thinned out along some fairways to allow for some dramatic and fun no way would this weaken the difficulty of the course or make it play would just add another element of shot-making and fun to what already is one of my favorite courses to date.
Other Thoughts: I played Nevin in January and to me it was perfect. It may play more difficult in summer and for this I hope some additional thinning of schule is eventually undertaken.
Regardless this is the ONE course I will reccomend to traveling players when they visit Charlotte.
It's Iron Hill plus fun and Nockamixon minus the bad footing.

A thinker's course

5+    11/14/2010   11/18/2010
Review By: Ploughdeep
Pros: Nevin is likely to damage your self esteem right out of the gate, but if you can manage to pick yourself up off the canvas, you can be friends with it. More than any other course I've played, this one has the potential to make me a better (i.e., smarter) player with each attempt. One day soon I will own it. For now, Nevin owns me.

The first time this course mocks you, you'll be tempted to think it was just fatigue or poor execution that made you tank; don't fall for it. Nevin is designed mess with your head, not your arm. It's engineered to trick you into choosing shots that are too aggressive, too subtle or too clever at the wrong times. There are at least 18 unique riddles to solve here, and you will need to bring all your discs, all your shots and all your wits to get it done.

Memorable Features:
-Loooong holes that twist and turn, up and down, in and out of the woods from shot to shot;
-Baskets you can't even see until your third shot;
-A narrow double mando gate at 130' on #14;
-Blind dop offs behind the baskets on 3 and 7;
...and a dubious "Ace" claim written on the bench at the #9 tee. Really? It's 600' uphill under a canopy with a dogleg right at 450'. Who did that? How, exactly?
Cons: Watch your step. There are holes everywhere. The parks department has done an excellent job clearing trees to make fairways, but they left hundreds of deep 10"-30" diameter holes all over the place that will break your leg if you're not watching where you put your feet.
Beyond that, I wouldn't change a thing.

Date: 11/6/2012 Designer Response by: 1978
Thank you for te review!

The Charlotte Disc Golf Club volunteers, mainly Mark Huether, Matt Keatts, and Stan McDaniel cut fairways. I think most of the holes have been filled but some remain, especially off the fairways. They were left from pine trees dying when the park transitioned to hardwood forests and the stumps degrading. Many are hidden by leaves so be careful.

Tough But Great

5+    11/7/2010   11/7/2010
Review By: terptwerp
Pros: This course will test your skills. The holes are very long and narrow. You can not relax on any of the holes, since almost every one requires total concentration.
Cons: If you end up more than 2 feet off the fairway, you are in big trouble. Unlike other courses where you can save a bad drive by making a good approach shot, you are likely to need 2-3 shots just to get back to the fairway. Removing a few trees from most of the holes would make it more fair.
Other Thoughts: This is a very tough course that will test your skills. It can be frustrating, but will provide a great challenge. It is also only a few miles from Hornets Nest, so you can play both courses if you are feeling ambitious.

NOT for the faint of heart

1    9/1/2010   9/1/2010
Review By: Jermy
Pros: OK, first, this course is CHALLENGING!
Very long, very technical, and very fun.
Concrete T-pads, some decent (handdrawn) signnage, and very thought out , long, layout
Cons: DIFFICULT, have i said its long yet?
NOT beginner friendly, this course will kick most seasoned player's asses (which is also a pro! )
Other Thoughts: Bottom line- this course is new, still a ton of work to be done on it. In it's current state it is very impressive and ambitious.
This course is definitely looking to be a gold level championship course, its still got a good deal of work that needs to be done, but so far so good.

The length and hole layout is going to challenge damn near anyone, normally I would count this sort of difficulty as a fault, but NC has SO many courses in this area that a course like this isn't going to inhibit anyone from learning the sport.

The course seems like the parks just gave people this forest and said have your way with it. You can literally see where they carved their way through the dense forest to make way for the fairways that make up this course. Definitely a must play for any serious disc'er

- also- see brotherdave's review! he hits the nail right smack center on the head. this course definitely wants to kick your ass and take your lunch money

Top 5 favorite courses

1    8/14/2010   8/18/2010
Review By: philman
Pros: I loved this course. It was long, it was hard and it was fun. I think this is the best course in Charlotte period. My friends and I played Renaissance,Hornets nest and this. I love NC golf, and Nevin is well worth the drive.
Cons: I can't play it on weekends because I live in Cincy.
Other Thoughts: Keep up the great work.

Nevin ain't Heaven

1    7/18/2010   7/19/2010
Review By: BrotherDave
This review was updated on 11/18/2010
Pros: I'm going to cut to the chase on this one. This course has:
Length with a capital L.
Well-defined fairways.
Signage and great tees.
A practice basket.
L-R variety.
Holes that require placement.
Memorable holes.
Cons: This course hates you. It hits the alarm clock before the sun rises so that it has time to prepare itself properly for hating you. It will kick your dog in the face. It ate your last piece of pie that your mom baked for you, then it threw it up on your best shirt. Think you made a good drive? Nope, the course will put your disc in a ditch, behind a cluster of trees, or kick it into the schule with it's many roots. Make a bad throw? Expect to make about 5 more before the hole is over. The course has open holes too, but you won't like them. Because there is just enough briers and weeds growing up on the fairway to make losing a disc easy or the fairway itself, like the wooded holes, never ceases to be "too clever" for its own good. Like the double mando on hole # 14. Sure, the mando on the right is cool, it keeps discs from flying into the neighborhood on the right, but the other mando some 30' to the left kind of forms a clown's mouth with the branches, an evil, sadistic clown that takes pleasure in popping kids' balloons. So what you get essentially is a ~10' tall by 30' wide window to hit up hill on a 500'+ hole, 200'+ from the tee. The question is, why? Why must every hole go out of its way to mock you? (That hole really isn't that bad/hard). But this is the way you feel if you can't hit narrow gap after narrow gap and land your disc with remote control precision.
Other Thoughts: There's a lot of cool, neat holes here. And most of them force you to think strategically. The problem is, it seems like even when you do every thing right, these holes find a way to deprive you from getting par. I'm all for clever bends and switch backs and dog legs but at some point you get tired of pushing the boulder uphill and you want a "dumbed down" hole to relax, get some confidence back, and key word here: Enjoy. This course has everything design wise that you can conceivably ask for, except enjoyment. But if you enjoy immense challenges that never seemingly never end and a course that gives good scores only to those favored by the Gods, then maybe Nevin is Heaven.

my favorite of two Charlotte trips

1    3/30/2010   6/11/2010
Review By: tallpaul
This review was updated on 11/18/2010
Pros: Nevin's footage is not out of this world. Lesser armed players still stand a chance; if they can negotiate the fairways. This is perhaps my favorite thing about this course (as opposed to Renny, which has more of a big armed player feel; to me). This is not a short course; but neither is it a big arm track. Stan designed original concept here; but extreme kudos should be given to Mark and Matt (with some applause for various other contributors). M and M have logged enormous hours at this course. Mark also involved with a number of other area disc course projects; and seems (like a number of Charlotte individuals) to work non stop on making this area an even better destination point than it already is. He is also the main person responsible for enlarging the scope of Nevin towards an eventual par 72 layout. My original comment about length being fair for shorter arms, I think will still be valid to some degree; but Mark is sadistically laughing at the opportunities for even more length to challenge the risk/reward options for gold level players. I really think this is going to be a crown jewel by the time worlds comes to town....
I enjoyed this course from start to finish. There were four of us traveling on this trip; and we played some fine courses along the way (14 total courses in three states; per this site; 4 3 rated courses, 1 3.5, 4 4 rated, 1 4.5 rated, and four home grown; which were all at least 3.5's IMHO); and, we thought Nevin was the best/toughest of this group. Since then, some of the pin ball action has been removed from Nevin; but one of the course designer's reveals that very tight fairways are the "feel of the course" and will not be opened much.
Talk about a thinking man's course....Talk about a shot making course....Talk about a course to keep your wits about you after your second or third trip to the schule in succession...
You are asked to make narrow shot after narrow shot. If you're off the fairway, you need to spend a shot to get back into the fairway. Schule is thick off the fairways.
There are dog legs associated with this narrow steerage. You not only have to make thin shots; but you have to finish one way or another, to lead to your next shot.
To me; it was a beautiful walk in the woods; with great disc holes thrown in. I have been assured that the early spring look is nothing compared to the greenness of summer!
There are places for deuces; but, most often, you must make a good drive off the tee (meaning fairway; regardless of the distance), and then plan another excellent second shot (again, staying on tough fairways), follow this advice again, make a putt; and move on to more of the same.
The combination of length and technicality is simply out of this world. And, you will have to use every shot in your bag; right hand shots, left hand shots, uphill, downhill, tomajunk, forehand, escape rollers probably...etc. to maneuver your way around this test of skill.
There is not a huge down hiller here. Nor is there a great water shot. This is a rating based on great wooded shots. Hole after hole of them. Signature after signature hole of them.
Believe it or not; there is some mando here. Also, telephone pole(s) to hit on #18; in case there were not enough trees for you.
Two sets of nice, new, roughened and long, tees. Course feels longer than pure footage would indicate; due to narrow lines needed.
Other activities available in park; see other reviews.
At the time we played; things were fairly primitive in terms of amenities.
Other Thoughts: Bikinjack (from this site) was our guide this round; which helped our enjoyment level. Also helped on the navigation. We played in March. Course fairly new. I believe Jack had only played it once previously and we didn't have any troubles.
I have to say that N.C. is one of my favorite areas for disc in the U.S. Nevin is, after one time through, my favorite of this bunch!!! I will be back to see the progress with the amenities, and to play this awesome grouping in the future.
All of those who reside in a cold winter state, as I do, should put Charlotte N.C. and Nevin, in particular, on their escape winter weather trips. March and April are one of the best times of the year to be playing here. Southern spring is way ahead of us....things are green in March/April; but schule is not near as thick as it will be a month or two later....

Sublime ~ Very Well Designed ~ Incredible Trees ("Old Growth)

1    5/21/2010   5/21/2010
Review By: Infinitus
Pros: I am going to leave the minute details to those who wish to nit-pick the finer points. I have played a good many courses in my life; more than some, less than some. Charlotte, NC is (and has been) a supreme and premier area in the WORLD for disc golf, and for quite some time. This course is an EXCELLENT reflection of that fact... and is absolutely world-class. Do not be deceived. If you have the opportunity to play this course... do so.

This course does not favor any handedness or throw style over another. The tee signage and maps are great. It's a beautiful course (especially in Spring/Summer), FUN, well designed, balanced, diverse, engaging, and at times, complex (without being frustrating). The course profoundly balances a need for both shot-making and distance throws almost perfectly.

The tress on this course are some of the oldest and aged in the entire area and region... by far. It's very impressive in that regard. This may well be described as a future equivalent of Augusta in ball golf.

This course will challenge you to grow in and improve your game, within an excellent environment... while still providing a lot of fun. What more may we ask for in disc golf... ?
Cons: The pics currently posted for this course are not the best or true to it's current state of vastly improved development. This is not a punch-off the tee and shoot for birdie course. It represents a pure, fair and formidable challenge. That said, again, it's not discouraging.

It helps to have a spotter on a few holes (2-3 of them), but that's a con only to some.

Get you some of this one. It is, without a doubt, one of the best.

NEVIN... as in... NEVer agaIN

1    3/6/2010   3/31/2010
Review By: DSCJNKY
This review was updated on 9/15/2010
- Extremely Challenging. Everyone needs a good ole' fashion beat down every now and again to humble them. This course will definitely test your shot making ability, save your ass-ability, accuracy, and mental game. Out of the 120+ courses I've played... this was by far the most challenging.
- Brand New Everything. Innova DiscCatchers, large concrete tee-pads, fairways, stairs, terrace work... and, I'm sure new things (more benches, terrace work, better tee-signs, etc...) will be added to make the course even better.
- World Championships. This course was clearly designed with the 2012 Worlds in mind... and it's cool to know that you're playing one of the "Worlds" courses. It will be interesting to hear what the pros think about this course, as well as to see how well they shoot.
- Unrealistic Expectations. 600+ foot holes with a 20' gap the who length containing an extremely precise triple dogleg and nothing but a pitch out for anything but the most perfect shot... are a little too unrealistic for me; and considering that I would rank my golf game in the 90th percentile, probably a little too unrealistic for anyone but the top pros too... (and, even they're going to struggle at times). The course is just...
- Stupid Tight. But, from what I understand, that's how Stan McDaniel designs his courses - Super Tight... and then he lets the golfers break them in and loosen them up. Missing the fairway here practically requires a pitch out... the saplings are sooooo thick that forward momentum is usually impractical and probably foolish anyways. The very few "open" holes on the back-9 are a God send... and even they are littered with trouble.
- Terrible Signage. For what the holes are... and what they require... they need some extremely professional tee-signs detailing the holes shape, overall distance, the distances to the dogleg, the distance to the second dogleg, Pars, OB's, Mandy's, etc...
- NEVer agaIN. OK... I kid with the title... I will play it again... but, just not until it's a little more broken in. Because I live a couple of hours away, and there are so many other options in the Charlotte area, it will probably be a while before I return... (like right before the Worlds).
- Local Routes. Nevin is the type of course you need to play more than once. There are simply too many forced ("optimal") landing zones and routes that you would need several rounds to figure out the "best" places to be and NOT to be.
- Putter Pars vs. Driver Double Bogeys. Use your PUTTER. Halfway through the round I realized that if I simply used my putter and mids to take shorter but straighter shots while chipping away at the fairway, I could remain in the fairway and make Par... as opposed to having a driver curve off into the woods, thus requiring a pitch out (or two) to make double-bogey. And, this is especially true if you don't know the "Local Routes".
- Double Digits Over Par. You're going to go nuts if you are at all worried about shooting under par. Which, initially, I was... because, usually - at lesser courses - I do... but after 5 holes I knew I had no chance of even getting close to Par. The goal quickly became trying not to shoot double digits over par, which I failed at.
- My Charlotte Rankings. If you're planning a road trip to Charlotte, here are my rankings (of the courses I've played): Renny, Hornetts, (Nevin in future), Sugaw, Kilborne, (Nevin current), Reedy, .........Veterans.
- My Score: +12