Benzonia, MI
Osprey International DGC Share
Uploaded By: volklgirl Hole #1 (Taken 11/2009)
Finding the first tee.

eh... it's ok.

1    9/25/2013   9/25/2013
Review By: apdrvya
Pros:
Aesthetic-- plays through a large(ish) multi-use city park in a small town. there will be non-discers everywhere at times, be very careful.

Baskets-- nice mach v's. all present and accounted for and in nice repair.

Teepads-- some are carpet and some are dirt. but for the most part they are in good repair and serve their purpose. I would prefer that the few that have kick strips did not but that is just my preference.

Teesigns-- basic. Not sure the distances are accurate.
Cons:
Design & Dangers-- #1 plays too near a playground for my liking. #2-5 criss-cross a lightly wooded field and could have serious cross-fairway contamination.

routing and nav--not too bad. there are some places #6, #7, #8 where the routing makes no sense and needs serious next tee signs. you have to cross the ditch to find #6 (400+' hole) and then cross the road to #7.

Design--#7. Hate this hole. there is no way to know WTF you are doing here until you've thrown out. the basket is buried so deep along that bush line it's impossible to get a good shot out of those trees.

Long walk back to parking
This course was fun to play but I don't think I will be back. I just didn't find it memorable.

Nice Quick Stop

1    9/20/2011   9/21/2011
Review By: dalenoel
Pros: Played here during a break from a conference and only had a couple hours to play. Including drive time this was an easy course to find and tee signs were in place and helpful.

Took a beginner to the course and his first time did not get into trouble since the major obstacle is the large trees with the basket placed between or behind them.

The holes are long enough to provide some degree of difficulty while not being unreasonable for most.

Most tee signs had distance and all had an arrow for the next tee from that holes' basket.

A small ditch is the only problem which isn't even that unless there has been recent rain.
Cons: This would have been a problem if families had been using the picnic or playground areas. The first hole has a grill in the middle of the fairway. We played late in the year and while school was in so it was not a problem.

The dirt tees were not a problem as most had drained from the rain earlier in the day.
Other Thoughts: If I had more time I would have played other courses but this was the closest and most reasonable for the time available.

Also played as I had not been here before and will play all course at least once.

Wildly Misnamed Course

1    9/19/2010   9/20/2010
Review By: deBebbler
Pros:
Large sparse trees populate this nice little park, which is lush, clean and well tended.

Only one hole <300', including one hole >400'.

Baskets are placed around and behind trees to increase difficulty.

A nice mix of LH-RH turns with a few blind-to-"blind-ish" drives, and a few open holes that close up around the basket.

Designed very well as a quick DG stop. EZ-off Ez-on the main road.

Fresh and friendly feel to the course which leaves you wishing they had installed 9 more, but fine with the prospect of playing the 9 holes again.
Cons:
Some holes (2-5) double back like rows in a garden. The fairways are so close that a busy day could constitute a problem.

Same holes plus hole #1 share real estate with grilling and playground areas so busy park days could cause some irritation.

More park available that is unused, but just as beautiful, which makes you wish there were more holes.
Although I would be pissed if my local course was only 9 holes, this is a friendly little course in Benzie county.

I took a day trip playing from Cadillac to Maple City to play 4 new courses. The middle two were Crystal Mountain and this one. I expected Crystal Mountain to be a blast and this one to be underwhelming. How wrong I was.

I started playing defunct ski hills, and relish an opportunity to play them. However, Crystal Mountain is so unpleasant, I would choose this course to play every time.

Not sure where they got the name for this course, as I saw no Osprey, nor any avain-related fixtures, and there isn't an international boundary within 100 miles, but whatever...

Not chock full of challenge, but as long as the park isn't packed, totally full of fun.

Glad We Stopped

1    7/3/2010   7/4/2010
Review By: BucketBonanza
This review was updated on 7/6/2010
Pros: Thanks be to God and the kind indians for letting me play this course en route to TC. Nine holes out in the country. I am talking hay bales. Businesslike, pitch and put action. This course is a solid warm up if you are coming from the south and looking to find your groove in Traverse or Maple City. Cut and dried and to the point, I was very happy that we took this pit stop. I would recommend it if you are coming from afar to play Hickory or Myles. Might as well have some fun! Don't expect your socks to get blown off. You throw backhand or forehand and put.
Cons: Nine holes. Indian feet are only eleven inches. I was really wishing there were at least nine more along the same lines as what this nine offered. I was thoroughly enjoying myself, but I was giddy from the fact that me and the Bogmonster were on a trip to uncharted territories.
Other Thoughts: Pull off. Stretch your legs. Get out your disc sack and throw some heat. This course made me happy and satisfied in its own special way. Can't believe hardly anyone has given it a nod due to its proximity to splendor. Go north my friends. You will not be disappointed!

9 Holes, better than nothing

2-4    6/22/2010   6/28/2010
Review By: Disc Golf Live
Pros: Course is located in a small municipal park just off the main drag, not too many folks use the other facilities from what I could tell, a good thing since this course plays over picnic tables and BBQs. No elevation, but nice mature trees make for some challenges. A good roller course.
Cons: Holes play too close to one another, if its crowded with golfers there would be potential trouble (not to mention other park users being clobbered.) Tee signs too close to tee boxes. Could use some "next tee" indicators on the baskets (a little paint on the upper chain assembly) to point to next tee. A couple baskets too close to dense wooded areas for my taste. Baskets improperly assembled, but they've used some extra links to make it work alright.
Other Thoughts: A decent walk in an otherwise little-used park. Not a destination course, but playable enough for locals and vacationers in the area.

Better than expected

2-4    5/6/2010   5/6/2010
Review By: sorotan
This review was updated on 5/11/2010
Pros: Interesting use of trees surrounding some baskets making the last shots on some a bit tricky. Some nice distances for a small park. A decent site for newcomers. Not a lot of people when I visited.
Cons: Flat very flat. Some rain the night before, the soil was spongy and wet through sites 6, 8, and 9. The baskets are not clear from some of the tees, some baskets are not visible from the tee, where other tees are... leading to mistakes.
Other Thoughts: All in all the site is a decent site for beginners. Some nice distance shots.

nice for beginners

1    4/9/2010   4/9/2010
Review By: shawnthomas440
Pros: Holes are nice lengths for beginners and baskets fade a lot behind trees. Course plays nice with the grass and is pretty flat. This is my second year playing and I thought it was a nice change of pace from the typical course that tries to make it as tough as possible. This is a great course for working on approach shots and putting. I was a little nicer than I expected.
Cons: There is no "next tee" markers and it was very confusing at times. my friend and I actually did play a hole wrong, but made up for it. Dirt tees made it a little messy this time of year but not that big of a deal.
Other Thoughts: All in all, a pretty fun course.

The Opsrey doesn't really "soar".

1    11/22/2009   11/24/2009
Review By: volklgirl
Pros: This course sits in a very clean, family friendly park and it makes pretty good use of the very limited terrain features available in the park. Wherever possible, the designers managed to tuck baskets into or behind stands of trees, and several holes have you throwing over or along the small drainage ditches in the park. The highlights on this course are: #1, a curving right around the outside of the bordering woods; #6 with its pair of deciduous trees and an overhanging evergreen just off the tee pad; #7 through a lightly wooded area then over the drainage ditch and over or around a copse of bushes; and #9 with its big distance and "jailed", elevated basket.

Hole distances aren't marked anywhere yet, but it's obvious that hole lengths grow as you get farther into the round. My guess is that most are over 200' and at least a couple are bordering on, or longer than, 400'.

There's currently no map or scorecard available, but navigation in most places is a cinch as the layout works its way around the outside edge of the back of the park. Any places where navigation is questionable, I took pictures from the basket and have posted them on the Photos tab. The grass tee pads with board foul lines have acceptable footing and each tee is marked with a small post - signage is adequate given the newness of the course.

Restrooms are available on the property right near the playground although they were already closed for the season when I was there.
Cons: I had a real problem trying to figure out what type of golfers this course was aimed at as the almost totally wide open nature of this course makes it more suitable for beginning throws, yet the length of many of these holes would have beginners frustrated in a hurry.

The back-and-forth, repetitive layout of holes 3-6 got old and fast, and I'd assume that throwing at and over the rear park entrance road could be dangerous during high park usage times. In addition (although a fairly small complaint), there are at least 3 places where the flow of the layout stutters a bit (5 to 6, 6 to 7, and 8 to 9), leaving one looking around for the next tee.
Other Thoughts: All-in-all, this was a pretty good course given the property they had to work with but the contrast in design elements and distances gave me pause. This is a great place to learn the combination of distance and accuracy on your drives and to play with your approach shots, but otherwise its a fairly standard "family park" course. I considered rating this course 1.5 discs, but the longer distances and interesting pin placement prompted a 1/2 disc increase in rating.

Unless you're already really close or are stopping during a drive-by and just have some time to kill, I'd say don't bother - there are much better courses within an hour's drive.