Cantril, IA
Waubonsie Trails Share
Uploaded By: RussMB Hole #7 (Taken 6/2014)

Cantril's DG Course

1    6/26/2014   9/26/2014
Review By: RussMB
Pros: -Nice Park Setting. It really is a nice course to walk through. Nice and peaceful scenery!
-Signs with Distance
-Beginner and Non-Player Friendly
-Ideal for an Ace Race
-Varying Terrain
-Covered Bridge makes a nice setting for a finishing hole
-For a course that is short, I did have fun with it.
-Plays quick

-Added Note: Good Job on the home made baskets!! I didn't realize they were home made, until I just read some of the other reviews!
Cons: -Holes get shorter as the course progresses. Some are very short "Ace Runs"
-The Rough on some of the holes can be daunting. That includes the woods along #1 Fairway
-The 420ft Risk/Reward hole seems out of place. (I'll explain in the "Other Thoughts"
Other Thoughts: There is not a lot to list under pros or cons here, it's just a small course. Something you would find in a campground. Is it fun? yeah! I had a good time with it. Is it something I would drive out of my way for? No. Cantril does have the Dutchman store, which is a cool place to visit. Other than that, this is a very nice little rec course! So to answer; This isn't a place I would drive out of my play, but if I was coming to visit the Dutchman store I would bring a few discs and play while I was in town.

Here is the crux of Waubonsi: It's got some interesting fairways that are fun to throw down. ...at first. As the course progresses, the holes get shorter and shorter till you are just throwing with a putter. As I mentioned, the first hole is a 420ft risk/reward that looks like it was pulled out of bigger course. You are throwing over a pond, trying to stay on the levi that is back dropped by dense woods. Accuracy is key on that hole! After that, the course turns back into the rec course. To me, it's a nice fairway, that seems a bit to big for the course! I picture campers coming over and throwing here, as a recreational thing to do in a park. It doesn't make sense, to me, in adding a challenging fairway of this caliber to a rec course of this size. If they are going to have this level of fairway, they need to add a shorter tee area to accommodate the beginner players. This is just my thoughts on why I felt it a little out of place.

2-4    7/2/2014   7/6/2014
Review By: tonken
Pros: Located off the walking trails, very nice scenery as the course opens up. Short course and can be played very quickly. For beginners it's a good course to work on approach shots. For more advanced players it doesn't have much distance.
Cons: Signage was more than adequate but could have bee. Easier on the eyes. A couple of the tee pads needed so.e repairs. Part of the course can be pretty soggy at times.
Other Thoughts: I live about 20 minutes from here so I will be visiting several more times. My wife can spend hours in the Dutchman store so I can at least keep my sanity by playing a few rounds!

cantril course designer

1    8/7/2013   8/8/2013
Review By: thughes198178
Pros: Decent homemade baskets. Nicely maintained. Challenging but short course.
Cons: Grass teepads, if you don't land in the course there is some pretty tall grass and weeds in some places which makes finding your disk in some areas hard.
Other Thoughts: If there would've been more area for the course to be spread out it would've been nice. with the area that they gave for the course I do enjoy playing on it. Since Imma local I play here quite a bit...

New course

2-4    11/11/2009   11/11/2009
Review By: Keokuk Discer
Pros: This is a brand new course with excellently made homemade baskets. In fact I thought they may have been bought until I met the course designer on the course and he said the were made for him.

The design allows for a variety of shots and makes for a good diversion for the day
Cons: This course is VERY short, with most holes being around 150'. The tee pads are grass and very uneven, making for a tricky tee off. There is no signs at all, so navigating can be tricky. The layout is really tight and one has to backtrack up fairways to get to the next tee area.

The tee for hole one was impossible to find without a little help. It was across the pond, 410' from the pin, the only really good hole on the course.
Other Thoughts: For a town of around 200 people, it was a surprise to find a disc golf course here. The designer said he wanted to use the entrie park but was denied because of fears of people getting hit by discs. Hopefully the city will reconsider their stance, because by using the entire park, this could be a very good course.