Cottage Grove, OR
North Regional Park Share
Uploaded By: weaktit Hole #13 (Taken 2/2011)

Decent Course With Some Serious Design Flaws!

1    5/30/2010   6/9/2010
Pros: North Regional Park plays between a freeway and a Waste Treatment plant. A few holes play along a open area (partly a field) while most of the course plays through woods and next to a drainage ditch. The tee pads 1-16 are textured and taper down in the front. They're great! There are no signs yet. The baskets are new. One feature that I really liked here, although I'm worried about vandalism, is an "ACE POLE" they have near the first tee. It's a pole with people's aces typed on laminated cards and attached to the pole. Much better than players signing the baskets.
Cons: I think there are a couple of fairly major flaws with this course. Three holes in a row play with this ugly drainage ditch looming on the right side. There is a very small fairway here so the chance of going into this ditch is very high. We thought # 7 was borderline silly with the basket just a few feet from the ditch and nowhere to throw. We just picked up our discs and skipped this hole. The risk/reward of getting down into the ditch was just not worth it. # 12 was another hole that I was not too keen on. It's a blind, uphill throw with a very narrow little fairway. We saw lots of beginner/novice type players on the course the day we played and these holes are just impossible for them.

My final con is that the area on the final couple of holes was just an eyesore. It looks as though there's been some heavy machinery driving through mud here. I'm left with the opinion that this is not a particularly pretty course.
Other Thoughts: There are some nice things about this course, pads, some of the terrain, etc. But then again there are some serious design flaws in my opinion. This is one of those courses that could and should be a nice little recreational course but the designers have tried to challenge it up and in doing so, I think they've lost what should be their target audience, the casual recreational player. The course they should be trying to emulate here is Riverfront Park in Roseburg. That's just a nice little city park course that doesn't try to compete with the big boys like Whistlers, Dexter, Milo or Adair. It just uses the terrain they have very effectively!