Pros: Lots of change up on the holes.
Enjoyed some of the more unique holes that make you make some risky decisions.
Fairways where clear and well mowed.
Variety in distance.
I enjoyed the holes with non-standard height baskets.
Water hazards always make for more interesting risky shots.
Cons: Unforgiving on holes 13/15 if you stray from the paths.
If the wind blows in the right direction you get the smell from the water treatment plant.
Some holes go over a bike/walking path and some people would stop to watch the discs while they where in the line of fire.
Other Thoughts: Normally play at Dexter with my buddies, we will definitely come back to The Grove often.
9 Helpful / 0 Not
The Grove is real.
Pros: • Free to play 18 hole course with concrete tees and Innova DISCatcher Pro baskets.
• Large parking area and easily accessible from I-5.
• Discs available at the local Chevron.
• Many small stores and eateries within two miles.
• Practice basket.
• Two basket positions for holes #1, #4 - #7, #10 - #14, #16 and #18.
• Three basket positions for holes #8 and #9.
• Water hazards on holes #4, #5 and #8 (all right side) but generally easily recoverable.
• Elevated basket on hole #2.
• Adequate mix of left and right hole placements.
• Good mix of open and wooded holes.
• Elevation is in play on holes #12 - #15.
• Ends within 300' of where it begins.
• Ace pole with contact info.
• Adequate garbage cans throughout course.
• Makeshift seating available on five holes, dispersed throughout the course.
- Porta-potty has been added.
Cons: • No signage for hole length, layout or navigation.
• Adjacent to water treatment plant which may be aromatic in the summer months.
• The area between holes #2 and #18 are used for streetsweeper & landfill dumping.
• Well used, paved walking path for non-disc golfers.
• Poorly groomed grounds play into holes #2 and #16 - #18.
• Can be somewhat muddy / puddley in the winter months.
Other Thoughts: This young course is within 17 miles of the major metropolitan area(s) of Eugene / Springfield. It is moderately short having only one hole over 600' (#18) with the rest less than 400'. The cons mentioned are only slightly detracting and most could be considered pros in the right context of thought. The in-city location and proximity to I-5 make it convenient and easy to play on a daily basis. There are many opportunities for aces and birdies but some holes will challenge your shot skills and can easily turn a birdy into a bogey or worse. Be sure to reverse directions after hole #4 to reach tee #5 instead of following the apparently logical walkout toward what is actually the tee for hole #11. I like this course more each time I play it and I think even par is within my realm.
9 of 9 people found this review helpful.
6 Helpful / 0 Not
Pros: This course has come a LONG way in the last year. The mud and debris that dominated the course during last summer has had time to grow over with grass.
The new, longer, pin positions for #1, #7 and #10 change would-be easy birdy holes into a real challenge.
* Nice and quiet despite being close to I-5.
* Both open and wooded holes offer shot variety.
* Tees have been completed for all holes.
Cons: * Located near a waste treatment facility so, at times, the smell can be distracting.
* This course is unforgiving about stray drives. A little too far to the left or right could mean a lot of time spent hunting through briars or pulling your disc out of the water.
* New players should throw from a closer position on #4 due to the miriad of water hazards. A good spot is where the grass path meets the concrete bike path on the right.
Other Thoughts: * Recently cleared brush has really opened up the course.
* Lots of effort went into clearing out the poison oak last summer but the winter didn't kill it all off. Watch where your discs land!
* There is an area near hole #9 where young bikers sometimes hang out. I've seen them being loud/rude and riding in front of people. I hear there are plans to flatten out the area, but it hasn't happened yet.
6 of 6 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.