Green Valley, CA
Green Valley Community DGC Share
Uploaded By: Smelvis Hole #9
3 / 213ft.   3 / 388ft.   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #9 Long Tee (Look for path up hill)

Haggard Back Country

2-4    2/22/2014   2/22/2014
Review By: F. Howl
Pros: ·Tight fairways that punish errant throws.
·Empty. Been here three times, and the only other people on the course were the people who set it up.
·Nice setting amongst the scrub oaks.
·Good course to work on shot shaping with putters and slower mids.
·Locals were friendly. They were surprised when we rolled up, asked how the hell we had found the place (this was back in 2003 I think), but showed us around.
Cons: ·Thick brush! Luckily its short enough to get a pretty good idea of where that shite throw went, but scrub oaks and chapparral eat discs.
·Way out in the sticks. Unless you're escaping from Palmdale or Lancaster its way out of the way to bother with
Other Thoughts: I thought the most helpfull review for this course was the guy who warned about snakes and thorny brush, yet he was voted down for it. Wear pants, watch out for snakes, poison oak, and bee hives. We stirred one up our first time out here.

Easy to find, fun

1    9/13/2013   1/13/2014
Review By: bils247
Pros: Nice layout, provokes experimenting with new shots for newer players such as myself. Very friendly Cali natives ;)
Trees demand tighter lines
Cons: Hard to navigate for the first time.
Other Thoughts: I would play here again.

Pleasant surprise

1    11/10/2013   11/19/2013
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through a wooded brushy park. There doesn't seem to be any interference with any other activities. The baskets seemed like they might be homemade, but they caught just fine. I liked the semi-portable base idea that allows for pin movement without making them easy to steal or blow away.

There are enough trees here that you have to hit some tighter lines of various shapes to score well. I was surprised at how technical the course played, and enjoyed the mix of left and right turning shots. There is enough underbrush to punish errant shots and make you scramble to save par, but it's not so thick in most spots that discs are too hard to find.

There are a few shots that bring some fun elevation into play. A couple fun downhill shots let you watch the disc fly, and a couple more interesting pin placements offer rollaways if you're not careful in your short game.
Cons: Navigation is a little tricky here, with no tee signs and nothing to indicate which of several visible paths leads to the next tee. We were eventually able to figure out all the holes but it definitely took some wandering. The tees are a mix of slippery wood palettes and rutted out natural pads, none of which provide all that great of footing.

There are a couple holes that have odd lines to the basket that don't really match up with the way discs fly. A little trimming or slight changes in basket and tee placement would make much more interesting challenges.
Other Thoughts: Beginners will find this course pretty tough and punitive, but not so frustrating they can't have a good time out here. More experienced players will enjoy some fun challenging shots and some opportunities to scramble after any missed shots. If you're in the area, this course is definitely worth a stop.

8 over par.

1    8/6/2012   8/6/2012
Review By: Daniel Pratt
Pros: There are seats under trees to rest in the summer time. great course to test your control skills.
Cons: Baskets would be better if painted orange on Tops so we could see them better from a far.

Be safe in summer time due to rattle snakes. carry snake bite kit just in case.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed this course. Id wear pants next time. i played safety cause of all the bushes and walked course before i played, did it all in 1 1/2 hours. i used a mid range and putter for whole course.
HOLE 6 has a thorn bushes along the right side and is thick.

Surprisingly Nice

1    3/9/2010   3/9/2010
Review By: DaKineSurfer32
Pros: - better than average distances for a 9 hole course (most are above 250')
- baskets are good quality for being non-mainstream (I wouldn't call them 'homemade' as some people have, but they aren't top tier either)
- large natural tees are in good shape
- quality layout that uses all of the elevation available, and actually makes you throw on the defined fairways
- no holes that seem repetitive
- the baskets have been painted bright lime green within the last week, so they are easily noticeable
Cons: - hard to follow without a local or a map
- poor tee markings (usually just a log or wood beam marks the front end of the tee. about half of the holes have bright yellow trash cans near the tees)
- many congested fairways due to lack of course maintenance (no trimming of brush, etc.)
- can be easy to lose a disc with all the desert scrub bushes in the fairways, so watch your shots like a hawk
Other Thoughts: This course can be just as windy as Desert Sands in Palmdale, but because it's longer you get to work on your drives in the wind instead of just your approaches.

The places that I was most confused when trying to follow the course were between 2 & 3 (tee 3 is near tee 1, and throws over the horseshoe pits), and between 5 & 6 (from basket 5, walk west [down the valley] and you will see tee 6 in about 50'-75')

I was pleasantly surprised at this course. It was much more legit than I expected after reading the other reviews. One thing that I thought was cool for a backwoods 9 holer like this is that the baskets are moveable. They're just cemented into tires, so too heavy to steal, but you can roll them to make the layout a little different each time, if you want. All in all this is a more quality course than Palmdale, but still too far out of the way to take a side trip to unless you live, or are staying in the Antelope Valley. But it's a pretty drive to get up there too.

Stay away unless you like losing discs

1    10/18/2009   12/24/2009
Review By: Hans
Pros: -Not busy (but this could also be a con on this course, I'll explain later...)
-There are 9 baskets
Cons: -Weeds...EVERYWHERE!!
-No signage
-No maps
-VERY easy to lose discs
Other Thoughts: Some nice folks we met up at Wrightwood told us about this "secret course" off by Lake Elizabeth that we just HAD to check out. After going there, I think they may have just been messing with us. This is by far the worst course I've ever been to. We only got through 5 1/2 holes in 4 hours and finally gave up, leaving scratched, bleeding, and with one less disc that we started with, and we were lucky to leave with that many. Almost every hole has high brush in the vacinity, which can make an errant throw possibly be the last for that disc. We spent at least 30 minutes on holes 3-6 looking for discs that had fallen in the brush. We didn't see anyone else on the course for the majority of the time we were out there, so we didn't have anyone to ask where to go, or to lend a hand in finding our discs. After fishing my disc out of a tree on 6, my fiancee lost one of hers on the very next throw, and that was when we finally threw in the towel. So if anyone happens to find a white Cheetah out on that hole, there should be a phone number on it ;) I was very disappointed in this course. Perhaps if someone were to take a weed whacker out there and clean up all that brush, I could consider giving it another try. Seeing as how the baskets look to be home made though, I don't see this happening any time soon. For a rural area that is supposed to be somewhat "well off," I would have expected a better course.

1    12/17/2009   12/17/2009
Review By: Danger
This review was updated on 12/20/2009
Pros: -Portable DisCatcher baskets are in descent condition.
-Fun mountain, middle of nowhere vibe. It IS in the Angeles National Forest.
-Paths make course navigation manageable to figure out. Discs we thought were lost were actually very easy to find.
-Great use of the provided land; hills, ravines, and trees all make each hole a unique challenge.
-Most holes turned out to be pretty long for a 9 hole and a few even had some cool pin protection.
-Yellow trash cans at most tees make them easy to spot, even though there are no signs.
-The course is somewhere to go if you are stuck in Green Valley!
Cons: -For the drive, I wish it was 18. Looks like there is room.
-Hard to navigate, no signs.
-Dirt/natural tees.
Other Thoughts: This is a rural 9 hole course that seems home-made, making it the only one in LA county with that 'backwoods' vibe to it.
Before we headed out, we made sure to make a crude drawing of the map to bring with us. This proved to be absolutely essential; as we were able to find our way around just fine without a guide or local. Without a map we would have been lost.
The course was deserted, I don't even think we legally parked; just kinda in the middle of a dirt lot that turned out to be the fairway for hole 3. Oops!
Some fairways cross, but I don't think this course is ever busy so I doubt it ever gets in the way.
Holes 2, 3, 4, 5, and 8 had a little metal marker on the log marking the tee indicating what hole number it was. The rest did not, but with the map, we knew we were in the right spot.
Almost every shot looked like we would have trouble finding our discs, but this never ended up being the case. Shots look a lot more 'dangerous' from the tee than they actually are, which added a fun scary element to the course.
The course is VERY out of the way unless you are in Green Valley, and except for the sake of 'checking out a new course,' you are not going to get the opportunity to stop by when you are on your way somewhere. Make no mistake, this is as rural as so cal gets! I don't think their goal is to get random non-locals out playing it.

Green Valley Community DG

5+    11/15/2009   11/16/2009
Review By: Smelvis
This review was updated on 1/2/2010
Pros:
- Course map reqd for first and even second visit. Ck out course map I made using GPS Visualizer and Google maps.
- Course design is good with many obstacles.
- Lots of terrain variaton.
- Baskets are in good condition (portable).
- Hole 9 is the best. There is a long and short tee position. The long tee is difficult to find, look for a path that goes up the hill.
- Benches at most tees.
- Course nicely sheilded from wind.
- Not crowded. Not a well known course.
- Outdoor basketball court and horseshoes avail.
Cons:
- No pro shop
- Tee pads are dirt and may or may not be marked. Tee pad may have a single piece of lumber.
- Easy to lose discs. Lots of brush and trees.
- Course maintained to some degree. Paths are well worn to help find way around course. Very little maintenance of foliage.
Other Thoughts: It appears the Green Valley Community Hall maintains the course. Not sure if there are bathrooms available to the public inside the Hall.