Course Extinct
Marshallton, DE
Carousel Park Share
Uploaded By: prerube Hole #14 (Taken 11/2009)

Welcome to a real course

1    4/20/2013   4/28/2013
Review By: zirex007
Pros: Absolutely beautiful park. Good map available online. All tees are marked.
Cons: Be ready for some hills!
Other Thoughts: This was the first full 18 hole course i've played and it was definatlly a shocker. especially with one hole 750+ feet. but i would have to say unlike some of the other courses i have looked at in Delaware this one was free to play and was very clean.

Enjoyable and Challenging

1    11/17/2012   11/20/2012
Review By: Thenshaw
Pros: Nice, Relaxing Scenery. No fee in Delaware. Enjoyable elevation changes. Not crowded on a Saturday afternoon.
Cons: Extremely hard to navigate. I spent a lot of time looking for next tees and having to backtrack because I had walked in the wrong direction. I had a map and was still lost on holes 6, 8 and 13.
Other Thoughts: I am definitely an amatuer and have no arm whatsoever. A 250' foot drive is an especially good one for me. That being said, I still enjoy a challenge and some of my favorite courses are said to be truly tough. I really enjoyed the course overall and had fun playing through the scenery. However, I became frustrated at times with so much distance on the holes and felt I had to play the gold tees because they were easier to find. Adding to the frustration was the inability to navigate well and, for me anyway, definitely dampened my experience. I did, however really enjoy a few holes and 3 and 12 really stand out despite having lost a disc to the creek on my approach @ 12. The wooded holes, though very few, were also nicely placed and enjoyable. The maintenance was good for a mid fall day with a lot of down leaves. Not many other players around, but alot of dog walkers and joggers. Had to keep an eye out for them as they were apt to cross fairways often. Carousel is a nice course overall and I look forward to playing through again soon in hopes the experience is better because of some famialiarity with the layout.

Oh, what this could be!

1    11/9/2011   11/9/2011
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: Course is set in a huge park that has a lake, a few ponds, some woods, hills, and lots of horse pastures. It a pretty cool place with some great land and scenery.

Good quality Discatcher baskets that are in a great shape. Yellow band helps to spot them in a few places.

Lots of open shots and distance where you can really let some discs fly.

A few really good disc golf holes and designs mixed into the course. Some tough shots and some fun shots.

Some good use of elevation. You will be throwing up and down hill. It adds some fun and challenge to the holes that are otherwise a little dull.
Cons: Tee pads are all over the place as far as quality goes. Some are natural and some have fly pads. Some are marked only by a couple posts in the ground, and some have basic signage. Improvements on the pads would help this course. Same with signs. Especially considering the length and number of blind shots that are here.

Navigation is a challenge. Bring a printed map. Course is long, and there are some walks between holes. While there are some next tee signs, it still can be a little hard to get around.

Too many straight open shots. Not much line shaping. The end of the course is a little dull and monotonous.

On hole 9 and 10 I had to wait for a few dog owners to clear the fairways. There is a dog park in the park, and these holes seem to be between the dog area and a parking lot. Beware of our furry friends when throwing on the holes.
Other Thoughts: I had mixed feelings about this course. I don't have the arm for the 700' bombs, especially when forced to throw them uphill. But I also thought there were some really good holes here.

# 1 is kind of nice with a downhill throw with a pond behind the basket. Cool hole to start on.

#3 was another fun, long downhill shot that finishes in a clearing in the woods. You need to dodge a scattered tree line on your approach. That approach is kind of a blind shot so lost disc potential could be high in the woods and weeds.

#5 is a fun downhill into the woods shot with the basket located on a relatively steep hillside. Pretty cool hole.

The wooded holes all seemed pretty good to me, but #12 is just about worth coming here all by itself. It a steep, tight downhill shot in the woods. The basket sits at the bottom with a creek behind the basket. It's a truly beautiful hole. Loved it. Just wish there was more here like it.

I really like about a 1/3 of this course. There are some really excellent disc golf holes. The rest of the course though is a little dull. If you want to play a course that allows you to throw drivers through open grass then this is a good place for you. I would recommend it as a great place to work on drives and distance. And as a bonus you get to play a few nicely designed wooded holes.

With a little work on pads and signs, and with some basket position tweaking this could be a very, very good course. As it is, it isn't bad. And every once in a while it is kind of fun to throw out in the open without worrying about accuracy. While some of the open holes finish in the woods, or use enough of the hills and trees to keep things fun, there is just a little too much length and openness for this to be considered an exceptional course.

Over rated

1    6/30/2011   7/2/2011
Review By: KniceZ
Pros: - one of the pretties settings I've ever played - well cut horse pastures
- great course for those with 400+' drives
- no fee (Most courses I've played are free but since it's seems to be unique for Del I'll put that in the Pros)
- Good mix of terrain.
Cons: - Most of the holes over 400, I could not find a lot of the short tees
- As a first time player and no local to tag along with, I spent a lot of time walking up and back so I knew which way to throw.
- Also on several of the drives you will not see where your drives land due to the terrain. In the future I'd play with someone and have them posted 300' down to spot landings especially on the few wooded holes.
- Hole four is a real pain if you don't have a 250+' up hill drive. Anything less and you'll be looking through the brush and briars for your disc.
- Good thing I printed a map before I went. There's no way I could have found the tees and baskets without it. I only saw signs on maybe half the holes with even less "next tee" signs. I guess they disappeared since some of the previous posts.
- Virtually no tee pads, not even rubber pads. (Go check out Signal View near Front Royal in VA to learn how to set rubber pads in open mowed fields)
- Only four truly wooded holes. Several other holes either started or ended in the woods but the majority of most of the holes had open fields for fairways.
Other Thoughts: Maybe I'm too much of a NOOB to appreciate it but I don't understand why so many folks think this course is Excellent. It's a beautiful setting, BUT with all the listed con - it's Good at best in my book.

I doubt I'll go back till I can throw 350-400'

Distance-Drivers Welcome!

2-4    4/10/2010   4/18/2010
Review By: swatso
This review was updated on 9/17/2011
Pros:
Picturesque. Long. Multiple tee locations. Practice basket. Played the last six holes with Mike Moser, who described many of the improvements planned in the near future, and who demonstrated that ~450' throws are not merely internet legend. :-O
Cons:
Popular park with non-players - nearly hit joggers/walkers on somewhat-blind holes 5-7. Tee locations a work in progress, currently natural. No tee signs yet, although the poles for them have recently been put in the ground.
Beautiful, large park with rolling hills of lush grass, white picket fences, pockets of trees/woods, and a couple of ponds. Very long - mere mortals will have plenty of opportunities to throw their favourite distance driver, a couple of times on some holes (#8 comes to mind). Elevation change, some significant, on every hole - pretty much alternates between up/over hill and downhill/across valley. About 50% of the holes are completely/mostly open, about 25% are fully wooded, and the remainder are mixed. Several basket positions not too far from water - some shallow, some say goodbye to your disc! :-(

Long tees are marked by the solid-orange blocks. The shorter tee locations are orange on top, green at the bottom. When completed (proper tee and other signs, improved tees, a few benches and trash cans), this course will certainly be a great complement to nearby, equally-long, but wooded, Iron Hill, and when combined with the many other solid courses less than 30 miles away, make northern Delaware a top disc golf travel destination.