Adrian, MI
Heritage Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: barnet666 Hole #10 (Taken 6/2011)

Nicely Marked

1    7/8/2016   7/8/2016
Review By: Caveman1829
Pros: -Best mix of hole types I've seen at any course. A few in the woods, but more so out of woods with plenty of hills and trees to make it fun and challenging. Also distances vary nicely some short, some long.
-At each white tee (where everyone seemed to throw from) there was nice detailed signage of the hole with all information--they must have redone this as older reviews said bad signage, but it is GREAT now! There were also arrows pointing to next hole where it might not be obvious.
-I personally like the layout of the course because you can easily play just the front 9 or just the back 9. It wraps around back to parking around then which was nice.
-On a Friday morning it was dead, we had the place to ourself. Though if you like leagues they had a lot of postings at the start about league days/times. So depending day/time you go you can find the crowd or lack of crowd you desire.
Cons: -Tee pads were not concrete so were uneven gravel type.
- No bathrooms anywhere back there.
- I wouldn't personally plan to throw from red or blue tees as those were kind of "sketchy", no pad, over growth near them, etc.
- At times passes over roads & hiking paths...in both cases a very minor issue as the road back there is pretty much dead and the hiking paths don't see enough of a crowd.
Other Thoughts: The printable map they list on this site is off slightly. Hole 3 actually has the hole & tee off spot reversed. Otherwise it was helpful to have that at times. Also hole #13 isn't listed as water, but I would consider it a concern, if you hook it right the woods drop right off quickly into water and if you over shoot there was some water. Not a drastic water concern, but we almost lost one.

Great Course

1    4/24/2016   4/24/2016
Review By: m_Krakov
Pros: Detailed signage at each hole (white tee location) that shows distances and a small map of three tees and multiple pin locations. Some comments addressed poor signage, but I found that the course was easy to navigate and the hole signs were among the nicest I've seen.Nice variety of wooded holes and open bombers, several holes over 400 from the middle (white) tees.
Cons: Some low lying areas were wet, and according to a couple of locals I spoke with, the back nine can flood in the early spring. Gravel tee pads were the biggest problem with the course, concrete tees and this place is a true gem. Was pretty crowded on a sunday, but it was beautiful outside.
Other Thoughts: I wanted to write a brief review to address some of the issues that some other reviewers had with the course, mainly signage, because I thought that they were well thought out and detailed. Would have played another 18 if it wasn't so crowded. There are some mountain bike trails in the park, and while I did encounter some riders, they were friendly.

Slippery when wet

1    3/10/2014   3/10/2014
Review By: apdrvya
Pros:
Aesthetic- plays through the base end of a very large multi-use park. intercepts some other activity's areas in some areas but it's not overly bad.

Map/Kiosk- Due to the piss poor signage here, the map is almost a necessity. Shorts only have a number on them, longs have nothing. no distances or hole diagrams are present.

Challenge/Variety- This course does make decent use of the available land and elevation. This is most certainly one of the longer courses in the area.

Basket placement- great, the baskets were not in the most obvious places and that made it's more of a challenge off the tee.
Cons:
Routing and nav- Bad. the signage is bad, the map is the only saving grace. I'm sure that during the summer, it's easier to nav but in the winter it was an absolute nightmare. This was WAAAAAAY longer a round than it needed to be.

Teesigns- while the holes ARE marked, the teesigns are relatively terrible. If you want to know the hole number, look at the short tee. If you are playing the long tees, good luck.

Location in park- as stated in the other review, there is one sign that says DG Course===> but that's the end of the signage.
This course seems to be an after thought. and I'm guessing it's not played much. there weren't even decent paths in the snow from use. the snow was 1ft+ in places and very uneven. Teepads were barely recognizable.
I would like to play this course in the summer, and that's why I rated it middle of the road, as the snow has caused most of the uncontrollable issues.

Solid Course

2-4    9/14/2013   9/15/2013
Review By: bcollierfb
Pros: Layout- the tee for #1 is right next to the parking lot, then the front nine circles around and the basket for #9 is next to the parking lot as well. #10 starts you out towards the river and basket #18 brings you back within 150ft of the parking lot.

Basket Placement - each holes basket used the most of what they could when they could. Baskets where on a slope, near a drop off, close to water or in between trees. Easy open baskets where on the longer holes, where getting there was the challenge.

Location in the Park - I was not obvious to me where the course was. It is all the way at the bottom at the back of the park. However other than possibly on holes 3 and 4 for you won't run into any other park visitors while you play your round. There was a soccer tournament and softball tournament happening the day I was there but didn't even notice them other than holes 3 and 4.
Cons: Signs - the only thing making the tee pads are wooden posts with a number on it. It appears that recently long tee location have been placed, identified with similar wooden posts but do not have numbers or distances on them. I really like to distances on tee pads. I don't need a full map but a basic drawing would be nice as some baskets are unseen from the tee pad.

Shot Mix - short holes, long holes, some trees, yes. I am a RHBH player who likes throwing anhyzer shots but when I was done playing my rounds I realized I had only throw one hyzer, on #18 and could have gone right up the middle if I wanted to. All the shots from the tee finish straight or to the right.

Tall grass/prairie grass - I hate knee high grass to waist high grass along fairways or near baskets. Other than stop you disc from skipping I don't feel it makes the hole any more challenging. It just makes it hard to find you disc. It was only on the back nine but still to much for me.
Other Thoughts: The tee pads from the shorts are a base gravel material boarder by wooden timbers. They were ok. I could see how people would prefer concrete but these work just fine. Not a pro or a con for me. No tee pads form the longs but I get the feeling there is a plan for something in the future. The back has a different feel than the front, the back is more open and longer. Favorite holes #9 long, straight, low ceiling through the window. If you get it through the opening you'll have a chance for a 2. Hit the trees you going to need a good up to save par. Hole #11 throws over an elevated road back down the baskets which is place on the river's edge. This is a solid course. I live about an hour from this course so I will be making my way there a once or twice a year to play something different.

Enjoyable course!

1    7/28/2012   7/30/2012
Review By: rhelt100
Pros: Nice mix of shots. Varying hole lengths had me throwing anything from a midrange to my longest driver. Very good use of the terrain throughout.
Very friendly and helpful locals. There was a small tourney going on when my group showed up and the locals were happy to tell us all about the course, explain tricky transitions, and provide scorecards.
Cons: Parts of the course seemed like they were pretty freshly cut and could use some work to get them in tiptop shape. I think once this course has had a few more years to get beat in, the rating will go up a bit.
I played whites on the advice of some locals and the course played pretty easy for me. I'm not used to shooting -2 on any course the first time I play it.
Other Thoughts: I've read that parts of this course are flood prone. When I was there, this area was in the middle of a drought and the entire course played fine.

It's like 2 different courses

1    4/1/2011   4/1/2011
Review By: AKormendi
Pros: -Great condition, you get the feeling its a quiet place that doesn't have too many vandals or troublemakers.
-Neat elevation changes on the front nine get you started with a bang.
-Cool scenery. River Raisin twists and turns alongside two holes, with beaver dams and sandbars giving neat scenery. Hole 11 approaching the river has some particularly picturesque trees in the depression containing the basket. You peer out over a wetlands area behind the hole 2 basket and wish they had a budget to put a hole there and allow you to huck off this magnificent hill. Then you go back to hole 3 and toss around a huge mound that begs the safari hole to 4 from the top. Still the hillsides play well.
-A lot of risk/reward opportunities. Do you take the big hyzer around the trees or the window they offer you? Hole 5 provided my favorite window of the course off the tee, forcing you to choose between a gigantic anhyzer or cutting under this low ceiling between evergreens.
-Room to stretch your arms. While there are technical shots, if you need to let loose bombs to feel like a proper day at the course, there's enough holes with good distance to get that. It has some spacious fairways, so you can just enjoy watching that glide.
-Wildlife. Frogs were abundant and chirping, and huge cranes overhead. I can't guarantee they'll show up when you're there, but I wouldn't be surprised.
-Friendly locals. We encountered two separate groups here who made conversation, one providing a map, and everyone eager to know how we were enjoying our round. The townsfolk off the course were unusually hospitable as well.
Cons: -The end of the course just doesn't measure up to the beginning. Where you start off with elevation and finesse, you finish with flat and wide. And wet. I was told it dries out, but there was a good portion of the last few holes that was not quite water hazard, but bog hazard. The bugs will not be good there later on when it is wet, so pay attention to the weather if you care about that sort of thing.
-Wicked thorns. There's some plants at some spots that had spines on their spines. Watch yourself.
-Dirt tees. They were in okay condition today, but will likely be worse later in the season and when wet.
-Navigation isn't the most intuitive, but the first 10 are easy enough without a map, as the numbers are on the baskets and most tees. There are a few holes where you can't see the basket from the tee, and you will likely need to spend a few minutes scouting to make sure the basket is where you think it is. It probably will be. Still, this could definitely be improved.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed this course at first. If the back continued to live up to the promise of the beginning, and there were concrete tees and consistent drainage, this course would be a 4.5. Unfortunately, there's a pretty large section of uninteresting land prone to wetness between the hills and the river. There's no real way around it, and the awesomeness of the river holes justifies sending you down there, especially with the soccer fields in the other direction, but it definitely peters out. Hole 18 tries to bring it back with an island green of sorts and some trees on the left, and to some extend succeeds, but overall its not quite enough to make this a course to go out of my way for. Which is a shame, because it _is_ out of my way, and I'd sure like to throw those first 13 again.

5+    12/3/2010   3/8/2011
Review By: JN9000
Pros: This course is in a nice park with good terrain for a course. It has some hills, drop offs, some flat holes and a river. The course has very good shot variation and the long tees give you completely different shots on a lot of the holes. The front 9 and back 9 are like two completely different course, with the front 9 being hilly with a lot of trees, and the back 9 is pretty wide open with long holes and the river running by a few. The course as a whole and the holes individually are nicely designed. This course is also never crowded. It's a pretty long course.
Cons: The course doesn't have good signs, just a colored poll in the ground. The course can be tough to navigate you're first time there. The tee pads are dirt, but they don't bother me.This course also has very thick rough off of the fairways. and floods in the spring. The bugs can also be bad on some holes.
Other Thoughts: This is my home course and I love playing it. Although it doesn't have good signs or tees, the holes themselves make up for it. It's just a fun course to play. For those with big arms this course also has some good long holes to let it fly.

It's all about the Disc Golf - bring your walking shoes

1    8/7/2010   8/8/2010
Review By: BogeyNoMore
Pros: Only 18 hole course within 25 miles. Features shot variety: Long /short, left/right, long, bomber fairways lined with tall (disc swallowing) grass, some open holes spotted with strategically placed trees, a couple of wooded holes, and some elevation changes make for an interesting round of golf. Top off with a few blind holes, sprinkle in some others where you can see the basket from the tee if someone points it out to you, and you have a pretty complete course that makes for interesting play.

- Good use of local topography: hills, valleys, drop offs, dips, river, trees, clearings in brush, etc.
- Dual tees give different looks on some holes, while only adding more distance on others.
- Clean park, well defined mowed fairways, good baskets.
- Ninth hole returns to parking lot.
- Grass/dirt tee pads were OK by me. Concrete would be an improvement, but I never thought the tee surface was an issue. Besides, pouring concrete isn't where $$ should be spent on this course.
Cons: Course could really be a winner with some work:
- Message board could really use a course map.
- Navigation was horrible, good thing I ran into some cool locals.
- Hole design was quite good, but course layout is tough to follow and illogical in places, (see Other Thoughts).
- Thick and nasty brush on some holes can make you pay dearly for bad throws.
- Extra eyes help on this course, so bring a friend or two. You'll probably lose a disc playing solo.
- You have throw across a road in a few spots - but there's not much traffic..
- Never seen a course that could benefit more from decent tee signs/posts with distance & hole map (even a basic line drawing), next tee signs, etc
Other Thoughts: IMPORTANT TO NOTE: Local score card says "Alcohol not permitted." No clue if it's enforced, just thought you should know.

Dry when I played and the disc golf itself was very good, but I can see how this place would take more than a day to dry out after a soaking. Locals said it's messy after the spring thaw and April showers.

Would have been nice to make better use of the river, but locals told me the land on the other side is owned by someone.

Reading other reviews for this course, it seems opinions differ regarding navigation and course layout. I'll go on record as saying "course layout sucks, but the golf is good." Maybe designers simply "saw" some good holes they thought would play well on their own, but don't necessarily flow well from one to the other as a group, thereby sacrificing navigation and logical course layout for the sake of good disc play. Never got sense that the course flowed well from hole to hole: found the layout tough to follow in spots, and almost random at times. But I found most of the holes themselves to be interesting, well thought out and inviting. You can find the the white and blue markers easily enough, but often, the baskets you can see from them aren't the intended hole. Before I ran into some locals, I actually played from the 11th tee to the 17th basket (it seemed like a decent hole). Holes 6 through 10 play around an open field scattered with trees, and standing at tee 7, it simply isn't obvious what you're shooting for. I don't normally bag a rating too hard for stuff like tee markers, etc, but they can aid in navigation and I would bump the rating from 3.0 to a 4.0 if they get that squared away nicely.

Between course layout, and searching for discs in tall grass or thick brush, plan on spending some time here your first time out. Definitely worth it if you don't mind those inconveniences (or the drive).

Great potential

1    5/16/2010   5/16/2010
Review By: eugy9228
Pros: Great Open drives, good placement is crucial. Played early in the afternoon with little foot traffic so there was no waiting with helpfull guidance from a local and a little exploration the course is designed fairly well.
Cons: Going early in the springtime and after a rainy week is not a good idea. Flooding everywhere after hole 9 and thick thorns and brush on both sides to the pin. Also on the tee posts it would be helpful for a hole map and distance.
Other Thoughts: With some slight changes in hole direction and a little better upkeep this course would be a great play for anyone amatuer to pro.

1    9/19/2009   9/21/2009
Review By: RiverBandit
Pros: Great mix of different types of shots. Many holes seemed to me to be a great test for big arms with huge drives. At the same time there was extremely tall brush on the sides of the fairways which demanded accuracy also.
Course pretty well marked with a post on every tee.
Great use of elevation, and other natural obstacles.
Course locals were extremely friendly.
Chain Star baskets on every hole.
Pro/Am Tees for every hole. Pro tees didn't just create a longer drive but a completely different shot on most holes.
Park completely free of garbage and vandalism.
Course offers option of playing only Front 9, Only Back 9, or all 18.
Cons: Not to many cons to speak of on this course.
The only minor improvements I could see that this course could use may be a few more benches around the park, and signs marking the holes, but they had posts up and you could tell signs may be coming soon, so I guess it is not really a con.
Grass tees, with corners marked with spray paint.
Other Thoughts: We played Am tees first then Pro Tees, a Local was extremely friendly and played our AM Tee round with us to show us all the pin placements, and tees. All the people we came across were extremely friendly.