Markleeville, CA
Turtle Rock Park Share
Uploaded By: MikePinchico Hole #15 (Taken 12/2011)
3 / 250ft.   3 / 310ft.   3 / 320ft.   3 / -- Par / Distance:

1 2 Next >
 Amazing!

5+    7/27/2011   5/27/2012
Review By: ashmgee
Pros: This course is a large course with several par 4s and a par 5.

Creek wonders through and is in play on several holes.

It has a good mix of tech shots and long drives that will challenge most players.

Located in scenic Alpine County.
Cons: Rocky terrain that will chew up discs so use premium plasic.

Rocky terrain is also tough to walk around on so hiking boots would be recommended.
Other Thoughts: If you get a chance to play this course, do it! You will not be disappointed. There is a great campground there at the course and Grover Hot springs are just down the road. This course is well maintained by locals and there are multiple pins for all holes.

Top notch disc golf in the Sierra's

5+    8/8/2011   8/11/2011
Review By: CptSaveAPar
This review was updated on 3/26/2012
Pros: Turtle Rock Park is located in the beautiful Sierra Nevada's and is without a doubt one of my favorite courses. It's a little out of the way but well worth the drive. A must play if in the area, and if needed there is a campground nearby. A kiosk next to the 1st tee provides course info and scorecards. Also there is a practice basket, a bathroom, and drinking water. You tee off from nice rubber pads and there are brooms at each hole to keep em' clean. 3 pin placements for every hole, and the best signage I've seen on a course yet! For 1st timers to the course its damn near impossible to get lost. There are white markers and well groomed paths to the next tee from almost all pin positions. In 5 trips here I've only come across a hand full of other disc golfers, so it's never crowded. There is a great use of elevation and length, and the trees will force you to shape and throw many different types of shots.
Cons: I really have nothing negative to say. The only thing I can think of is there always seems to be some local Sheriffs parked at the building next to the 1st tee. It must be a Sheriff sub-station or something. They have never bothered me, but I'd imagine it might put off some of my fellow disc golfers. Also due to the elevation this place is seasonal.
Other Thoughts: I highly recommend everyone play this course at least once. My hats off to everyone involved in the making and maintaining of the Turtle. I only wish I lived closer so I could play here more often.

In true spirit of disc golf

5+    6/4/2011   7/4/2011
Review By: NevadaDisc
Pros: This is only the second course I've rated and it deserves to be recognized. I created the first course in the Lake Tahoe Area 35 years ago. There were not baskets at that time and there were no specialized discs. But we always had fun and enjoyed bring outside. The sport has come a long way since then, not all of it good. This course brings back the fun we had just going out and throwing the disc around. This course is clean, very well maintained and well designed. It has all of the new stuff that makes disc course better these days, but it also has a lot of stuff that just makes it fun, and in the long run that's all that counts. It's a great day to spend romping around Hope Valley and on the way home play a few holes of disc golf.

Great job.

Great Camping Course

1    9/20/2010   5/9/2011
Review By: JHern
Pros: Wow, this is such a nice place to install a disc golf course. The rolling hills, ravines, and long needles of the pine stands whooshing in the wind will forever be etched into my memory.

The course has a good variety of long, medium, and short holes (though my wife found all of them to be long). The fairways play through trees across slopes, down long hills, and over challening terrain like narrow ravines. I recall a nice long downhill hole (somewhere on the first 9, I think) that I absolutely nailed, parked for deuce. That was my best memory from the round.

I recall using almost every shot in my arsenal, trying fun lines through the trees, shaping shots through picturesque landscapes, etc.. A lot of variety, you won't get bored. The only thing you won't need here is a roller, which is not plausible on this rocky landscape.

There is a bit of scrubby underbrush, but I never had any difficulty finding my disc. It wasn't anything like playing a long grass course, where you can be within 5 ft of your disc and still not find it.

This is one of the best groomed courses I've ever played, perhaps because it is so new. The tees were nice. There are many bathrooms. The course is well-marked and easy to navigate. The folks who built this course have done a great job!
Cons: Far away from everything else. But still worth the trip.
Other Thoughts: Compared to other courses in the region, this course is kind of like a cross between Zephyr Cove (steep) and Bijou (flat). But it is definitely more rural and woodsy feeling, in Markleeville you're definitely further away from civilization.

I threw my understable drivers most, as this course is at a high altitude. Consider bringing your flippiest beat up discs to play here.

If you go to Turtle Rock, consider camping overnight. It is a great spot.

Freakin Awesome

1    4/30/2011   5/1/2011
Review By: tdonovanj
Pros: Excellent rubber teepads
Excellent Tee Signs with accurate hole location
Excellent signage to next Tee box
Great mix of shots off tee
Great mix of distance and tech skills
Locals
Cons: Just a bit outside the beaten trail (or is this a pro?)
Bear Country (how cool is that?)
Other Thoughts: First off let me preface by saying I am a complete novice with maybe 30 rounds played. However, I have played some very highly rated courses in CA, OR , and AZ. The Turtle hangs. It is so well designed that it keeps your head on your throws rather than on where the next tee is. Signage is the best I have ever seen. The mix between short technical holes and huge bombers is perfect. It allows a beginer like me to rebound from devastation nicely after taking an 8 on a 650ft hole! (2 tree thunks and a creek)
The setting is stunning with pines and boulders and creeks aplenty! Running in to the designer and another pro right before my round was very cool as well. Its this kind of course and attitude that has completely hooked me on the sport. Playing The Turtle capped a full day of skiing at Kirkwood. This will be my Spring Skiing routine for years to come!

Turtle Rock

5+    9/9/2010   10/1/2010
Review By: Swiftacle
Pros: Well laid out.
Easy to find the next tee.
Excellent tee-pads.
Great variety on the course.
Cons: The rough terrain tends to chew up the edges of your discs.
Other Thoughts: Most holes have three basket positions, and they change them at a fairly regular pace, so almost every time out the course plays a bit different.
There's plenty of camping near by for people on vacation.

Play It.

1    6/20/2010   6/21/2010
Review By: Joe_Maumy
Pros: Great Course! Well laid out 18 holes in the Eastern Sierra. If you have never been to this part of the Sierra do yourself a favor and visit it. High desert and pines come together.
Some great holes, long shots and some shorter ones. Water in play on a few holes but on this day it nothing you cant get your disc back from. Course info near hole 1 as well as score cards. First class for sure!
Cons: nothing I can think of. You may have to do some searching for your disc in the sagebrush but its not enough to make it a real "con".
Other Thoughts: Camping on site and also nearby. Hot Springs, what more needs to be said on that matter.
The general store at Markleville Store sells Turtle Rock stamped discs, get one, help support the course. Please pack out your trash.

Sweet Mountain Lovin

1    3/24/2010   3/25/2010
Review By: Peterb
Pros: - gorgeous setting in the eastern sierra.
- campground on site
- excellent course design: easy to find next tees and the pins
- maps available at the course kiosk
- varied shots in the forest
- creek in play on several shots
- championship level course, with a true par 5, and a couple of par 4s.
- big time shots for big arms
- a few nice ace runs.
- multiple pin locations allow for variations
- a great volunteer crew
- excellently constructed 6'x12' rubber pads
Cons: - no working bathrooms, at least in March when the course is playable and the campground is closed. But I suspect this wouldn't be a problem for much of the year.
Other Thoughts: This place is sick. Long shots will challenge everyone, even top pros. Shorter shots are technical and fun. Here are some highlights:

Today was prescribed burn day at the course, and hole 6 was literally on fire this morning. We threw the hole anyways. Never had a fire hazard like that before I'll bet. My disc landed in fire, and I had to take a stroke (unplayable lie).

Hole 4 is a nice 400 some odd foot downhill bomb in which you have a choice between going straight at it, or possibly going over the initial row of trees.

Hole 7 is a sweet RHBH turnover shot to an island like green.

9 is a big downhill anny with water behind the pin. There is a direct ninja route available, but I didn't try it.

11 is truly a beast. At 777 feet, it's not the longest hole in the state, but it sure feels like it. Basically, if you don't throw perfectly straight off the tee to the obvious fairway/landing area, you're hosed. The trees are very thick. If you do have a great drive, then your second shot has to also be pimped perfectly. Not easy with the amount of trees here. Then your third shot has to get near the pin to get a 4, which is a birdie.

Hole 12 is also a bomb, but a bit easier. 13 is a long turnover with a double mando (maybe not officially, but in reality) right off the elevated tee.

Hole 14 has the stream in front of the basket. Very easy to put your drive in the drink here.

Hole 17 forces a RHBH hyzer off the tee, then a long upshot to get a 3.

18 is a long bomb uphill, and I don't think anyone could get it within 100 feet of the basket off the drive.

All in all, I highly recommend getting out to Markleeville to check this course out. There are hot springs 10 minutes away from the course at grover state park. Stay a while and play the course a few times. You won't regret the ambiance, and the challenge, of this championshp caliber mountain course.

Great, long, technical course.

1    6/3/2012   3/18/2010
Review By: cjskier
This review was updated on 6/4/2012
Pros: -Great tee-pads on every hole.
-Markers after each basket to find the next tee-pad.
-great mix of shots, dog legs both directions, and mix of distances.
-Great use of the available space, no holes play across each other.
-Nice cleared paths to each tee.
-Not all par 3's, some nice long holes that can be a par 4 or 5.
-All 18 holes have 3 pin placements, which changes par for the course.
-Never going to be a crowded course.
-For a mountain course, it is fairly easy to find your disc. Exception being the long down hill shot on 4, you could get way off course if your throwing over the trees.
-great tee signs
-very nice paths from hole to hole.
-great camping right in the middle of the course.
Cons: -it's brutal? Not really a con to me.
-Location? Kind of far out there, but it is beautiful country.
-it does need more trash cans on the course.
Other Thoughts: I love this course! This course is truely the gem of lake tahoe disc golf. This is a true professional level course that will challenge any golfer. If it was any closer I would play it weekly.

beware holes 11 and 16. Legit part fives. 11 will make you hate the game but 16 can be a great spirit lifter if you play it right.

Another Great Tahoe Course

1    10/31/2009   11/21/2009
Review By: renotahoedg
Pros: Nice Tee Boxes
Multiple Pins
Nice trails, stairs, etc. Very easy to navigate
Beautiful quiet setting.
Camping on site. With other courses so close, you can make a great weekend out of it.
Cons: Number 11 was on the long position when I played and there was no path through at all. Other than that, I have nothing bad to say.
Other Thoughts: The course had just opened when I played. Signs were not installed yet, but they are probably in by now. I think that it is very similar to Truckee in many aspects. My applause to the volunteers. I had no trouble navigating due to the great trails and rock stairs that you built. Thank you Craig for another nice Tahoe Course!

1 2 Next >