Kent, WA

Lake Fenwick DGC

2-4    4/24/2010   4/24/2010
Review By: JR Stengele
This review was updated on 5/12/2012
Pros:
Lake Fenwick DGC is located on a 15 acre plot of land on the west side of Kent, buried along a hillside facing due east. The course currently has 15 baskets all in good to excellent condition with anywhere from 21-27 tee pads. A course map is located near hole one at the kiosk which provides the course layout as well as upcoming local tournaments in the near area. For first timers, I recommend taking a picture of the course map as it can get a bit confusing to navigate at times. Be sure to look on the ground as you play to help with navigation issues as there are several markers and signs indicating where the next tee is located.

The current course design is fairly similar to the old layout in regards to players ending in the same general vicinity as where they begin. However, with the addition of some of the new holes (#10 and the three bonus holes above hole #11), players will have to hike up a gravel road about 100 feet in order to play the next three holes and then either backtrack down the gravel road or follow the steep trail down toward hole #11. Each hole, for the most part, has a well defined fairway with little underbrush with the exception of hole #5 and #9/#18. Stinging nettles and blackberries are abundant, but as long as you can keep your disc on the fairway there should be no issues.

Elevation is present all throughout Lake Fenwick DGC, with the addition of the three new holes as well as many others such as holes #10, #11, #15, etc. Although there are no epic holes on the course, there were several which I would consider good or even great. The course varies in hole distances, challenge, and tight technical and open bomb shots. Overall, appropriate for all skill levels.
Cons:
This course is got to be the muddiest course in the entire state of Washington, which is no easy task. Because the entire course is surrounded by hill sides with a large pond directly in the middle, irrigation is extremely poor and when it rains, the water just flows down on to the course. Adding woodchips down the fairways and around each tee box and pin would quickly improve this course.

The tee pads on this course are in some serious need of some TLC as well. Some are cement and crumbling, some are dirt with large puddles in the middle, some have wooden frames elevated with nothing but mud and water in the middle, and there is even one that is 3x3 with little to no room to move. If the local club could find a way to fix these pads by adding new level cement pads, this too would quickly improve the course.

Parking is a major issue too, with only a small lot which holds no more than six cars; I am not sure what would happen if they held a non sanctioned tournament here. I am guessing that most people wind up parking out on the road, although there is not much room.

Since the course has duel tee pads, many times you will find players throwing toward the same basket as you. This can be a bit of a safety issue, especially since there are a lot of holes which have blind baskets. The crossing fairways, extremely dense foliage off to the sides of EVERY hole, and difficulty with navigation at times can all make for a frustrating round, so just beware and make sure you use a spotter!
This course has a lot to offer, and with some minor improvements, could rate much higher. This course though could really benefit from what I mentioned above. The first thing that stood out to me, besides the friendly locals, was how vibrant and beautiful the course was. They have a good thing going at Lake Fenwick, but it just seems to be outdated. I look forward to continued growth of this course and hope to come back someday and see that changes have been made for the better.

2-4    4/24/2009   7/21/2009
Review By: sillybizz
This review was updated on 5/19/2012
Pros: There are some tight, technical fairways that will challenge your accuracy off the tee. Not very busy when I visited the course with disc golfers or other park users. Lots of shade keep it cool during the summer months. I didn't lose a disc.
Cons: Extremely nasty disc eating course! Being a disc eater wasn't bad enough it had to be very hard to navigate as well. This place gets extremely muddy in the winter months or after any rain. There are three 'extra' holes on the top part of the course that lead to nowhere and aren't worth playing. The layout is less than simple and there are lots of filler holes.
Other Thoughts: I appreciate the people who put in the effort and hard work to put in courses and to them I am sorry but I just didn't have a good time here and I wouldn't go back.

Solid Technical Corse

7/22/2008   7/22/2008
Review By: tchase
Pros: This is a very challenging and technical wooded course. It is a fun area to practice shooting between tight trees and going for occasional ace runs. The course wraps around a large pond and is very scenic. The course upkeep has gotten better lately.
Cons: The course can be very wet in the fall and early spring. This leads to a lot of muddy areas and slippery throws. The course also becomes a jungle in the summer and can be very overgrown. I enjoy technical courses but some of the holes are so narrow it is tough to see a path to the basket.
Other Thoughts: Overall Fenwick is a solid course that everyone should play at least once if you live in western Washington. There are many other courses close by and it makes a good quick 18 after one of the other local courses (White River, Sea-Tac, or Lakewood).

Still working on course layout?

2-4    6/29/2008   7/2/2008
Review By: Aragorn
This review was updated on 1/1/2011
Pros: Like most courses around Puget Sound - a neat woodsy setting. Some fun technical holes. Although it can be dense most holes have a defined fairway.
Cons: The course layout is pretty confusing. Some tees are not numbered and it can be confusing to find the next tee. The first time I played I had to ask someone where the first tee was! I guess if I wandered around long enough I would have found it.
Other Thoughts: This course is now up to 12 baskets and supposedly 27 tee pads. Some are merely alternate tees while others are placed far enough away to effectively make a new hole. Hole #15 is an example. I believe it throws at basket #6 but it is far enough up the side of a hill that it makes it a different hole. On the other hand #9 and #18 are the exact same hole with the tee pads a few feet apart.

The course layout appears to be morphing so I don't know what it will wind up being. Adding the extra tees is a cool way to add more holes to the course IF it is not crowded. The flipside is two groups playing two holes but throwing at one basket. That sounds like a mess.

Before I had ever played this course some people had talked it down to me. I guess my expectations were low enough that I was set up to be pleasantly surprised. I found the short technical nature of the course to be fun. I have also only played it when it is relatively empty. The confusing layout + crowds could equal not so much fun.

Tough course to learn on.

5/18/2008   5/18/2008
Review By: LanceInTacoma
Pros: I enjoyed this course for the most part. The signage (when it was up) was pretty good. There was definitely a variety of hole types considering the fact that we are only dealing with 9 baskets. I realize it is a tough job to carve a course out of a wooded area like this one.
Cons: While I consider myself an "advanced" player (I have been playing off and on for 10 years or so), I dragged my wife and two of our nephews (ages 11 and 15) with us. None of the three of them are anywhere near as serious about this sport as I am. They each made it through the first three holes before they gave up and just walked with me while I played. The undergrowth is so severe and there are so many sticker-type bushes that they each had a "lost" disc (though we eventually found all three) during the first three holes, and they were afraid that they would lose one for good if we kept playing. Not to mention, they just don't like tromping through that many stickers to play. For this reason, I would say this course is probably better for more advanced players, or at least people that are more serious. Also, there seemed to be a lot of trash on the course. There were some bags at some of the tee boxes, but most were full, and there was just a lot of trash strewn about in general. There was a sign near the beginning saying something like "Pack it in, pack it out." but I don't think a lot of people paid much attention.
Other Thoughts: If you are a good player and want a decent challenge, I think this course provides that. I did have a couple of deuce putts (neither of which I made, unfortunately), but I certainly wouldn't consider this an easy course (which I do consider many of the 9-holers I play). Also, considering the difficulty, and the setting, there were quite a few players out today, so I am sure that bodes well for the future of this course, provided some of those players help with a leadership aspect of course management and maintenance.

The Bodies Are Gone! I Think?

1    10/21/2012   3/2/2008
This review was updated on 10/21/2012
Pros: Lake Fenwick is close and easy to reach half way between Tacoma and Seattle. The holes offer a nice variety of elevated shots, technical throws through the trees and around a little pond. It's a nice little challenge of a course. It's mostly in the shade for those infrequent Northwest sunny days.
The course has undergone many changes to the layout in the past five years since my intial review. New signs have been added to all holes. The layout has been changed and new holes have been added. There are now all concrete teepads. three additional holes have been added making it a 21 hole course.
Cons: Because the course sits in this basin, it always seems kinds of waterlogged to me. The baskets are covered with grime and mildew making them seem kind of grungy. The course is always going to suffer from drainage problems. Although there are signs of recent clean up attempts, I guess I would just like to see a little more general clean up. There's still a few old tires lying about and tons of broken branches that could be hauled away.
Other Thoughts: Went to play it once and the police had it closed. They were looking for a body buried in the 70's in the park by the famous "Green River Killer." Kinda creeped me out! I'm not sure if they found one or not.

Regardless of the dead bodies or not, I'm upping my previous rating. The improvements are nice. There are a lot of fun tunnel shots here. It's an enjoyable, challenging course, just one with that drippy rain forest feel to it.