Galena, OH
The Player's DGC Share
Uploaded By: Brall Hole #18 (Taken 9/2011)
Hole #18 Long Tee

1 2 3 Next >
 Bring an Ax

5+    5/14/2010   12/28/2009
Review By: mcmyers640
This review was updated on 12/25/2010
Pros: -Variation of Shots
-Signs with distances on tee pad. Signs have been moved to their final tee location so most distances are inaccurate. Use your best judgement!
-Technical Course
-Variety of Distances for mids and drivers
-Dirt tees have been turned into concrete. There are still a few holes that need to be poured.
-Water in play
-A 10 stroke lead means nothing here!

Cons: -Small margin for error. You really have to know where your disc is going.
-Trees will punish even the best of shots
-Tough to find certain holes. You really have to know where you are going for a handful of holes.
-Rain makes for very muddy and soggy conditions. I would wait a few days after a storm.
Other Thoughts: Another M.O.O.D. masterpiece. I can't wait to see this course after they get done with everything. This course will make you think! The first basket you see when you get to the course, take a left and the first hole is right after the gate. The red basket is there for practice. Holes 1-2 are easy to find with two being past the bathrooms and to the left. Cross the road for hole 3 which has the tee box to the right and on the edge of the woods. Be sure to play this safe because any pull of the disc to the right will cost you a good 10-30 minutes of looking. The brush is thick. If you lose one, go behind the brush to look (it's more clear). After the 400'+ hole 3, hook around to the right to continue. 4,5, and 6 are easy to find as they lead into each other. Once you finish hole 6. Turn around and follow the edge of the woods to the right to get to hole 7. The water is up, but there is a good wind that will push your disc back to the shore. After finishing this hole take a left into the woods and follow this path until you get to #8. It will hook around to the right. To get to hole #9 go past the building and you'll see a teebox straight ahead. Hole #10 is across the road. Very risky to go up the center, even when the water is down. Hole #11 is to the right about 30-40 feet. My buddy just aced hole 11 too. I thought I would give him some props. The rest of the holes are very easy to get to. Hole #15 requires you to take the path on the left to get to the concrete teebox. #16 is about 100' up and take a left into the woods. Just follow the paths. They have logs that edge the paths and make it easy to navigate.

Overall, this course is very challeging. I really enjoyed it and I just went back when the water levels are up. I feel like this course is a practice of self-control; there is a fine line, or small tree, between courage and stupidity. Play for par! Oh, leave your entry-level plastic at home and bring your four-leaf clover or rabbit's foot.

Don't be afraid to play with just a putter and midrange!

Tight and technical

2-4    12/18/2009   12/18/2009
Review By: culinarywiz
This review was updated on 3/23/2010
Pros: A+ technical lines

Defined fairways, albeit very tight

Water in play on multiple holes

Nice elevation changes

Great mix of long and short shots

Sexy park

Cons: Dirt tees

Very new, so debris made footing tough on some holes and paths

Could be considered too tight for some. The guy I played with did not like it as much as I did. He felt some holes were "luck holes".
Other Thoughts: Fantastic addition to the central Ohio courses.

This course was more than I expected. It has a very well balanced technical layout. You start off with a sharp dog leg to the left on hole one. Then a thread the needle, or wrap around option on two. Hole three is across the street and is one of the few true grip and rip style holes. There is plenty of room to chuck this 430 foot, slight curve to the right, shot. A couple short tight holes follow, then what I believe to be a fantastic signature hole - a 300 footer directly over the beach side of Alum creek. Serious water hole. Fortunately for me, the water is low right now, because I landed on the sand and shells. In the spring I would have been a few feet under water.

The back nine gets much tighter. These are the holes my buddy thought were too tight. My view on "luck holes" is this - If you can actually form a line that will make its way toward the basket, without being intercepted by random trees or branches along the way, it is not luck, no matter how tight. These fairways are very tight, but I firmly believe they are fair. If you pop a good line, you will make it a good distance. Most holes are in the 300 foot range. Very diverse. Right, left, up, down, short, long. Awesome.

I had a fantastic time here. The diversity kicked ass. I can't wait to play it when the water level truly brings the water into play on about 3-5 holes.

Also, this course will only get better with age. It is still brand new. It needs to season. I am curious as to how much more difficult this course will be with green cover. It was bare and frozen when I played.

Scenic and Tight

2-4    12/5/2009   12/5/2009
Review By: A.Mutt
This review was updated on 12/6/2009
Pros: + short and long tees
+ I think most will find challenge here
+ scenic course
+ runs the gamut of hole variety
Cons: - cement tees and permanent signs are not in yet
(not a knock on the course, just the only negative I can think of about it right now.)
Other Thoughts: Newly put in course and its still being finished up but the tees are all marked, the baskets in the ground, and the locals are getting to work on breaking her in.

Lots and lots of timber await your plastic here. Super tight, heavily wooded fairways are the norm. So that "thwack!" sound can become a real regular occurrence. Don't get me wrong, clear and clean lines are apparent but you need to have your accuracy on point here and a variety of shots in your arsenal. But if a heavily wooded course sends you into fits of rage then this isn't the place for you. Hole length is healthy, especially for the environment. The average hole being in the 240'-300' range. It seems to me at least, that this course is much more about how well you throw and not so much as to how far.

Right now the water line is too low for it to really be in play anywhere but when the weather gets nice again it'll certainly be in play on 7 and 10 for sure. These holes have dry outs, but will really reward going for it if you make it over.
Hole 12 and possibly another or two will have water as a hazard if you blow past the basket.

The basket placement is well thought out to add challenge to holes. On many, the basket is on a slope and others well guarded by trees.

Even with all the leaves gone and the water line receded the course still looks quite scenic and is a pleasant hike. Watch your footing though as it can be hazardous at times. Thankfully, the good souls that have been putting the course in marked all the ankle twisting stumps with orange paint.

First impression of this not quite finished course is a positive one. By midway next year I'll have this course rated at least a 4.

Great Course with Great Potential

2-4    11/29/2009   11/29/2009
Review By: DPOW
This review was updated on 12/7/2009
Pros: +Another disc golf course in Columbus
+Will provide great seasonal variety
+Cool water hazards
+Beautiful scenery
+Beach holes
+Isolated from other outdoor activities/roads from getting in the way
Cons: -Holes where you're basically driving into a bunch of trees
-Pathways from tee box to basket not
cleared for walking or clear flight path
-No true bomber holes
-No pars provided on the signs
-Dirt/mud tee pads (I'm not a fan)
-Needs small bridges to cross water (I had to trek through deep mud)
Other Thoughts: POTENTIAL POTENTIAL POTENTIAL!! After just finishing my first round at The Player's DGC @ Alum Creek SP the first thing I have to say is this course has the makings to become a very special disc golf course in Columbus, Ohio. For those in love with wooded courses, you will love this course. All of the holes except for two or three of them are surrounded by trees.

There are various water hazards, which when the season changes, should change and increase with difficult. The couple holes along the beach are absolutely BEAUTIFUL and breathe taking.

Give this course another year of development and care, and I believe it will shape up to be GREAT, ten times better than what it is now. Right now there's still a lot of stumps and trees that just don't seem to fit the holes, and obstruct a clear flight path.

Overall, I loved the course and I'm very happy with it. It's always great to have more disc golf in the area. This is a very difficult course. I only see it getting better and improving upon itself in the near future.

Good Course, Great one with some work

1    11/27/2009   11/27/2009
Review By: Bikinimower
This review was updated on 8/9/2010
Pros: Next to my House
A Couple of Really Cool Water Hazard Holes.
I'm a big fan of Nature type Wooded Holes
Hole No. 7 was a Neat Hole
You can tell it could be awesome with just a little more work
A couple of really good risk/reward shots. Sometimes it forces you to think before you throw
The land they used is really good for Disc Golf
You play the first 2 holes and then you have to cross the street but other than that navigating this course is very easy
Cons: Pars not Listed on the signs (I just assumed they were all par 3's)
Tee pads can be muddy depending on the weather
Some of the wooded holes can be too dense, not an realistic established flight path you have to rely on luck. Just chuck it and hope it goes at least 200 feet or so before it hits the inevitable tree
Be Careful. The course is new so there are lots and lots of tiny tree stubs and roots to trip over.
A few filler holes but not many
No big elevation changes
Some Bridges and Tee Pads would be nice
Other Thoughts: It's funny, for years now I've lived in this area and I always wished for a course in that park. I always thought it was the perfect place for disc golf. So imagine my surprise when I got on DGCourse review and saw that they had just put one in. The next day I was out in the mud, rain and the snow ready to test it out.

It's nice course and I like it a lot. I still needs some work though. But any time there's a course in a public park you can be pretty sure that it will be taken care of. Maybe widen some fairways and remove some stumps. I can't wait to see how this course looks when Spring, Summer and Early Fall come back around. Also some small Bridges to cross the water would be helpful

The Tee Pads are natural, some people don't like dirt but I think I actually prefer it. They can get pretty muddy depending on the weather. The signs are good enough but they don't list the pars

The first 3 holes are nothing special but then you go into the woods and the course picks up. they're fun but can be a little too thick. Also every hole that water comes into play on is fantastic. I can see a lot of people losing Discs, especially if the water rises.

I happy to have this place nearby, especially in the summer and on weekends when Brent Hambric becomes too crowded. It's good now but you can tell it's just gonna get better

1 2 3 Next >