Oak Grove, KY
War Memorial Park Share
Uploaded By: James4Chelsi Hole #4 (Taken 10/2010)
3 / 277ft.   3 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

Pitch and Putt

5+    5/21/2013   5/24/2013
Review By: dad_of_dg_junkies
Pros: This is a VERY nice park. The park is a memorial to our military and pays tribute to all the wars that the USA has been in. You will seee the maint. guys around the park most of the the time. The course itself has a nice layout. I would call this course lightly to moderately wooded. If you miss your line on this course, the problem WILL be the trees. The course is set up as a par 54 and plays very true to par. Most of the holes can be birdied with a well placed drive, but a bogey can be made on any missed line. This course will require you to work the disc. There are several holes that will require a fade,while there are a couple of big turn holes as well. There are 2 mando's on this course. Hole 5 has a double mando. There you are forced to throw the disc between 2 trees. When you first look at that mando, it doesn't seem to be much of a problem, but it is amazing how many times I miss that mando. Hole 8 also has a mando that requires a nice turn to a guarded basket. Holes 9 and 17 are the signature holes for me on this course. Both are very short and tight-lined holes. I can't find the correct line yet on 9, and I don't ever seem to be able to hit the very small window on 17. Holes 2 and 18 are really the only holes on the course that will allow you to really throw the disc. This is a perfect course for those trying to learn how to 'work' the disc in one direction or the other. The course has good signs and the tee pad are in good shape.
Cons: You can have some trouble with those walking around the course. They don't understand disc golf and can remain in the way and they don't even know it. The only thing that I don't like about the course are the short tee pads.
Other Thoughts: I really didn't like this course the first time I played it, but the more I play it, the more it like it. I have grown to love this course. No it won't rival the great courses of the world, but it is a nice little course to play for a quick round. There is some "Evil Genius" in this course. You can shot a great number here one day and the next day be 5-7 shots worse. You got to love a layout like that. Very Nice Short Course. The course is MUCH greener than the pictures on this site show.

Great for getting wet behind the Ears!

5+    9/15/2012   2/16/2013
Review By: Stemplejg
Pros: Good to learn on, it's not very long, it's open every day. It's never really crowded. Great area just off the course to practice drives, and they also have a practice basket.
Cons: Course could have been made more of a challenge, with the space. Bathrooms are closed during the winter, people can be rude when they don't understand what disc golf is and or the people that think the course is just a normal park.
Other Thoughts: For someone just getting started it's a great course. Just enough trees, and mando's to give a person with less then a year of play time a challenge.

solid course

5+    12/10/2011   9/3/2012
Review By: Andrew_Wilson
Pros: This is a nice well kept and clean course. It uses everything that the area has to offer making you throw accurate shots because of the trees. Concrete tee pads and tee signs are also great
Cons: The course just doesn't have that much challenge other than the tight shots on some of the holes it just has a bunch of short to Med length holes nothing good and long and it doesn't force you to use a bunch of shots you could stick with just backhanding the whole game if wanted
Other Thoughts: Even though it doesn't challenge it still is a great course very clean and that's a great thing. This is a great beginners course

Enjoyable Round

1    2/23/2011   3/6/2011
Review By: Pizza God
Pros: Very well marked and there is a map on this web site.

Tee pads for every hole.

Very nice well kept wooded area.

Good use of the trees.
Cons: A Mando is not a good course design.

The course may be a little short for the good players.

Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed playing this course and will play it again next time I am in the area.

My favorite hole was #2, yes I got the birdie with a very nice roller that landed under the basket.

Make sure you read the map going from #3 to #4, that was the only hole I even needed a map to find the tee box.

Thanks for a great afternoon

1    4/18/2010   4/18/2010
Review By: Badbub
Pros: Grounds are in excelent condition. The weather was nice today with a slight NE breeze which held my disc up nicely on the longer uphill shots. Very nice layout and distances were just right for me to get plenty of birdies.
Cons: Lots of traffic from non disc golfers unknowingly getting in harms way. My disc was picked up by several people and thrown back to me. One person even wanted me to throw my disc so they could catch it. All in fun. I let them know they wouldn't want to try catching this disc.
Other Thoughts: All said, it was a fine day.

Big fun!

1    12/16/2009   12/22/2009
Review By: tdortch
Pros: Great little course - challenging (even though it doesn't look it at first glance); fair (you don't need a huge arm to play well here - 350 is a really long shot on this course) and the kind of course that will make you better (technical in that you must use control shots). That's 3 things that will make for a great day of DG to me. I'm used to my home course in Paducah, KY, which is about 6500 ft and two rounds there usually wear me out. We played 3 here and I could have done at least one more. Very nice, large tee pads. Very few straight shots with no obstacles in the way. Hole 17 will give you fits - small uphill gap to an elevated basket. And, one of the very best things to me - no underbrush! My home course is brutal if you get off the fairway, and this one is pristine - no stickers! no nettles! Sweet!
Cons: It can be confusing. Even after two rounds, I was still having to think of where to go next. There are several tee pads where you could easily throw to the wrong basket, but even if you do, you won't be off too much and can still snag a 3. Those are both easily fixed with some signs, which I assume are coming - right now, it's only a number and distance written on a post. I didn't see any restrooms and there are very few trash cans, even where you park - we had to walk halfway across the course to throw our lunch bags away! I'm assuming this will change also. So, nothing really bad here, and all of them are easy fixes.
Other Thoughts: Overall, a great course, and if you're traveling past this course, you're making a mistake. So easy to get to - right off the interstate! Recommended! The designer - HB Clark - did a good job here and I hear he's putting in a lot of mandos to make it even more challenging. So, get there before he does that....Finally, this course is nowhere near HEAVILY WOODED. Come to Paducah if you want that. I would call this one Moderately or even lightly wooded. Now, HB did make excellent use of the trees that are there, so it seems really dense, but it's really not!