Huntsville, AL
Indian Creek DGC Share
Uploaded By: nitegolfer   (Taken 10/2009)

< Prev 1 2 3
Long, fun course

1    12/10/2014   12/11/2014
Review By: tnscboy
Pros: I love the changes in elevation and great diversity of throw lines. Good mix of long and short holes, mostly long.
Cons: Sometimes unclear where next tee pad is, but I should have taken a pic of the clearly laid out map at the beginning of the course.
Other Thoughts: I love this course, I am in town about twice a year, will definitely make sure I hit this course up every time.
Highly recommended!

Good Course

5+    10/11/2014   11/25/2014
Review By: flickit
Pros: This is a great course for anyone who wants a challenge or if you need to work on your driving form. Its long and open on most shots while still demanding some technique shots for getting to the basket.
Cons: It can get really hot and humid on this course during the warmer months.

There are a couple of holes (ahem 2, 4 and 14) that are really tight tunnel shots. That in itself would not be bad but the foliage on either side is quite thick and you can lose your disc VERY easily.
Other Thoughts: This is one of my go to courses to have fun. I would recommend playing this one with Brahan springs so as to work on technical shots as well as distance.

Great for Long Throws

1    8/4/2014   8/4/2014
Review By: mateo4815
Pros: - Wide variety of shots
- Some very long holes
- Well maintained
- Good signage
- Bench at every tee pad
- Very challenging
Cons: - Sometimes difficult to determine pin position when the basket isn't visible from the tee
- Course can become very difficult for people who don't throw very far
Other Thoughts: This course was very nice and definitely one of my favorites. The park can be busy at times and there may be some waiting for joggers or bikers to pass by before you throw.

Worth the effort

1    6/24/2014   6/24/2014
Review By: Loomis
Pros: Challenging course and a great use of the space. It's fair and the mental challenges are just as tough as the lines. You don't have to be a big arm to be successful on this course. It's long and there are holes where distance is an advantage but unlike some courses that stress distance as the only challenge this course uses it as an added layer to the game play. Like all courses; putting confidently is what rules the day.
Cons: The tall grass issue is real if you get off the fairway. This is pasture land with creeks and running trails crossing through it. There are times when finding the disc will be more challenging than hitting the right line.

The first two holes A and B do not exist so do not play them. Go to hole 1 and don't waste your time.
Other Thoughts: Of the three courses I played in the area this was by far the best.

The Creek

5+    7/9/2013   7/11/2013
Review By: ChrisL430
Pros: - Great mix of holes
- A bench on ever hole
- Long pads and short pads on multiple holes to allow shorter arms a little relief
- Great Discatcher Pro baskets
- This course has a great run of par 4s that require different lengths and type of shots to get to the baskets
- Bathrooms at the beginning of the course
Cons: - Sometimes the city lets the grass get a little to tall before cutting it.
Other Thoughts: This course is a World Championship level course. If you can only play one course in Huntsville, this is it. The mix of wooded/open/uphill/downhill is great. It's a little on the longer side but I've seen people with shorter arms put up very good scores by being consistent.

Great Variety

1    4/18/2013   4/22/2013
Review By: davetherocketguy
Pros: - Well manicured park - at least it was when I was there.
- Baskets in good shape and this course was one where I actually appreciated the yellow bands that adorn the top of them for visibilities sake.
- There is a variety here that is rarely found anywhere with water hazards, wooded fairways, open field, fast greens and so on.
- There are benches scattered throughout which is definitely appreciated considering the length of this course.
- Excellent use of the existing topography.
Cons: (Time to be picky - read these cons with a grain of salt and consider the score I am giving this course before giving me a hard time...lol)

- Several of the holes on the back nine starting with #9 going through #13 are just open and long just for the sake of being open and long. If there is any wind at all these holes are just brutal to the average player. Beginners will be discouraged and frustrated with these holes. #9 is absurd in the long position - 600+' uphill? Really?
- Some of the fairways play too close to the paved walkway that goes through the course for my taste and according to the signage is considered OB. There were several times I felt that being this close to that walkway was unneeded and posed unnecessary risk.
- The signage between holes could be updated a bit. Especially between #2 and #3 and #5 to #6.
- #18 seems to present hazards as well with the long basket and the walkway that goes down the middle of the fairway.
Other Thoughts: Okay, picky cons aside this is a must play course in my opinion in the Huntsville area. I am really glad I stopped by and I think any disc golfer that appreciates a well designed course will love this place. It is going to kick the tail of any dg'er out there.

As with any wooded course (not a con just an FYI) there are the assorted assembly of critters and irritants so come prepared.

This course has tremendous potential for more holes. While I am not completely sure where exactly the park boundaries are it does seem like another 18 holes could be added easily.

Lora

1    9/26/2012   9/27/2012
Review By: loraski
Pros: My husband and I really enjoyed this course. We liked the mix of long open spaces and some narrow wooded ones as well.
Cons: Some of the par's were a little unrealistic. More should have been par 4 or even 5 in this novice's opinion!
Other Thoughts: It is a beautiful course in a great park setting. It took us 2 hours for our first time and it was great exercise.

5+    7/27/2012   7/31/2012
Review By: DiscDawg015
Pros: This is one of the best maintained courses I have played on. All the tee pads a very grippy concrete and has very nice tee signs as well (except for 15). There are a lot of wide open holes to get your long throw in shape. The holes with trees in play are mostly fairly tight fairways with trees on each side. There are benches by every tee which is nice because you will be doing a lot of walking. The holes do a good job of leading you from one to the other. The scenery is very nice too. Nice rolling fields and some good throws down long hills.
Cons: Some of the pars don't seem possible, especially for those you don't have a big arm. Hole 18 is a par 3 and is around 600ft, so a big drive and big midrange is required. Hole 15 is lackluster. No tee sign and almost like they just put it there to get you to 16 on the other side of the stream.
Other Thoughts: For those you can't throw it really long consistantly I suggest playing by hole, whoever does the best on that hole recieves a point and so on. I really like this course and it has helped me to learn to throw further. It is done very well and it is definatly a must play.

1    6/6/2012   6/7/2012
Review By: CodyManning
Pros: You get a workout, a variation between wide open shots and very difficult shots.
Cons: VERY easy place to lose a disk. I took a friend of mine there today my first time there his first time playing. He said he has found upwards to 30 disk there in the last year, he didn't realize what they were and had given them all to his 4 yr old. Couple holes aiming right at pedestrians. Beware of the creek she's a flowin'
Other Thoughts: I'm a newb only been playing 6 weeks but I have picked it up very well according to local pros. I average a 0 to +4 at my usual coarse, but the length absolutely killed me here. Will surely play again, but only when I start preparing for tournaments. Took 2 hours to play.

Indian Creek DGC

1    1/14/2012   1/17/2012
Review By: 3OrangeWhips
This review was updated on 2/8/2012
Pros: - Located in a newer community park with plenty of parking, restrooms, playgrounds, and the nicest paved greenway I have ever seen.
- Great variety of holes: long open holes, shorter/technical wooded holes, longer/wider wooded holes, trees for obstacles, creeks/ponds/pits for obstacles, rolling elevation.
- Long, level concrete tee pads.
- Benches on every hole.
- Some holes have multiple tees, some have multiple pins.
- Great signage throughout (course map, hole number, par, distance, next tee, warnings).
- Excellent course flow, although there are a couple of spots where you need the map.
- Both the park and the course are meticulously maintained.
- Great scenic vistas on the "middle nine" (holes #5 through #13).
- No interference with other park activities (with the exception of hole #15 that plays along the edge of the greenway--throw with care here).
Cons: As an amateur I would like to see an alternate set of official pars that makes sense for my skill level. Pretty nit-picky, which shows just how killer this place is.
Other Thoughts: I snuck in a round at this course while visiting Huntsville during a long weekend with the family. Wow--I have a new favorite! This course has everything I could ask for. Great variety of holes, nice rolling terrain with beautiful meadows, well maintained, and best of all: challenging but fair. Even though I posted a high score, I felt like all of my mistakes were caused by poor execution rather than failing to overcome a near impossible obstacle. To me, this is what ultimately results in having a fun round instead of a frustrating one, especially at a course as demanding as Indian Creek. I applaud the designers of this course, because their efforts really pay off in the quality of play. Hole #10 was an "instant classic" for me: long downhill across a rolling meadow with a scattered hardwoods, through a treeline across a creek to the basket atop a tall mound. A close second would be hole #14, another long downhill, this time 420 feet through a wooded corridor with the basket visible way down to the left. This course alone makes Huntsville a good destination when planning a disc golf road trip, which is great because I am really looking forward to playing here again.

< Prev 1 2 3