Huntsville, AL
3 / 300ft.   3 / 300ft.   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

Worth the effort

1    6/24/2014   6/24/2014
Review By: Loomis
Pros: Challenging course and a great use of the space. It's fair and the mental challenges are just as tough as the lines. You don't have to be a big arm to be successful on this course. It's long and there are holes where distance is an advantage but unlike some courses that stress distance as the only challenge this course uses it as an added layer to the game play. Like all courses; putting confidently is what rules the day.
Cons: The tall grass issue is real if you get off the fairway. This is pasture land with creeks and running trails crossing through it. There are times when finding the disc will be more challenging than hitting the right line.

The first two holes A and B do not exist so do not play them. Go to hole 1 and don't waste your time.
Other Thoughts: Of the three courses I played in the area this was by far the best.

Great Variety

1    4/18/2013   4/22/2013
Review By: davetherocketguy
Pros: - Well manicured park - at least it was when I was there.
- Baskets in good shape and this course was one where I actually appreciated the yellow bands that adorn the top of them for visibilities sake.
- There is a variety here that is rarely found anywhere with water hazards, wooded fairways, open field, fast greens and so on.
- There are benches scattered throughout which is definitely appreciated considering the length of this course.
- Excellent use of the existing topography.
Cons: (Time to be picky - read these cons with a grain of salt and consider the score I am giving this course before giving me a hard time...lol)

- Several of the holes on the back nine starting with #9 going through #13 are just open and long just for the sake of being open and long. If there is any wind at all these holes are just brutal to the average player. Beginners will be discouraged and frustrated with these holes. #9 is absurd in the long position - 600+' uphill? Really?
- Some of the fairways play too close to the paved walkway that goes through the course for my taste and according to the signage is considered OB. There were several times I felt that being this close to that walkway was unneeded and posed unnecessary risk.
- The signage between holes could be updated a bit. Especially between #2 and #3 and #5 to #6.
- #18 seems to present hazards as well with the long basket and the walkway that goes down the middle of the fairway.
Other Thoughts: Okay, picky cons aside this is a must play course in my opinion in the Huntsville area. I am really glad I stopped by and I think any disc golfer that appreciates a well designed course will love this place. It is going to kick the tail of any dg'er out there.

As with any wooded course (not a con just an FYI) there are the assorted assembly of critters and irritants so come prepared.

This course has tremendous potential for more holes. While I am not completely sure where exactly the park boundaries are it does seem like another 18 holes could be added easily.

Lora

1    9/26/2012   9/27/2012
Review By: loraski
Pros: My husband and I really enjoyed this course. We liked the mix of long open spaces and some narrow wooded ones as well.
Cons: Some of the par's were a little unrealistic. More should have been par 4 or even 5 in this novice's opinion!
Other Thoughts: It is a beautiful course in a great park setting. It took us 2 hours for our first time and it was great exercise.

Indian Creek

1    6/25/2011   7/1/2011
Review By: pbgolfpb
Pros: 1. I liked the layout of the course. They Park was nice and it had a stream running thru the middle. Even had an area right behind one of the baskets that had a rope swing so you could cool off after the round.
2. Nice T-signs and T-pads.
3. There were signs warning walkers of discgolfers and discgolfers of walkers. and plenty of signs to guide you around.
4. Nice Map of the course, not very hard to remember.
5. I liked the different elevation shots that some holes offered.
6. Plenty of shade to find when playing the course.
7. to me this is a Championship level type course. You need to bring your long game for this course and plan on a couple of hours to play.
Cons: 1. The only con I see is that this is a long course and the grass needs to be kept cut. It was low for me, but still had issues sometimes to find disc thrown down the middle.
Other Thoughts: Overall, I really enjoyed the course. Levon did a great job creating a championship type course that I think every city should have. At least those with multiple course.

Thoroughly enjoyed

1    5/29/2011   5/29/2011
Review By: heywillard90
Pros: Long, short, tight and open shots. Plentiful distance overall. Good signs and pads. Beautiful park with open areas, woods, a flowing stream and nice bike path.
Cons: Most of the open areas and filled with weeds instead of grass; the thistles will bite if you have shorts on. I had trouble navigating the course, the signs can only help you so much. The course is too spread out.
Other Thoughts: I loved most aspects of this course. The main issue is how spread out everything is. It felt more like a ball golf course, and for those of us who play know how tiring it can get without a golf cart. Otherwise enjoy the course

Really Diverse Course

1    4/22/2011   5/17/2011
Review By: ZMan44
Pros: The most glaring positive aspect of Indian Creek DGC is the design. The holes vary in length, style, terrain, and elevation. Whoever designed this course was very deliberate in their work. It forces the player to execute a number of various shots.

Baskets were in excellent condition...probably a given since the course is fairly new.

While there are a few holes near the front of the facility, a number of the holes are very secluded with only the Indian Creek Greenway in the vicinity.

There are a number of multiple throw holes. While some may not care for the distance, I like it better that way. It gets boring taking aim at the basket on every tee shot. I like the consideration involved in determining an efficient landing zone so that you set yourself up with a high-percentage approach. This leads to more dispersion in scoring and penalizes errant tee shots to a greater degree.
Cons: As bjreagh mentioned, the drainage on Hole A was pretty bad. We played it anyway, but you had to walk back around the playground to finish the hole.

The design of Hole B necessitates throwing over the walkway...which is obviously bad.

Hole 17 was a throw-away hole. It was wide open. The only memorable aspect of the hole is the pin located on the man mad steps. To mee, it is just silly to use these devices. I guess they were just trying to take away the "filler hole" label...but let's call it what it is...a "filler hole".
Other Thoughts: This park is accessed by driving through a nice neighborhood. I would absolutely love to live within 200 yards of a course of this caliber...and there were houses for sale this close to the course. The park seems like a great place for families as it had a very nice playground, a dog park, and greenway access. The course itself is not beginner/family friendly, but you can take the wife and kids and let the kids play while you get in a round.

I know I mentioned the design in the "Pro" section, but I feel it bears mentioning again. The terrain that is used is conducive to disc golf. There are some amazing holes here. Some may be long for intermediate players...but I love the challenge. Hole 15 with the pin position close to the creek is a beautiful hole. Easy, but aestheticly pleasing.

In short, Indian Creek is an excellent addition to the Huntsville course list. It is my favorite course that I have played in Huntsville. (haven't played Redstone...which I hear is good) If you are in the area, it is definitely worth a stop. If you are going to Huntsville for a few days, this course is a must-play. It is not quite good enough to plan a specific trip solely for this course...but it is still an excellent course.

Break out your driver

1    4/20/2011   4/20/2011
Review By: The Drake
Pros: This course is a long arms dream to play. Set in a beautiful public park the fairways are very well maintained. Because its so open its pretty easy to navigate. I'm used to playing shorter courses so this was a nice change of pace for me. The course also offers something more than just distance. There are some shorter holes which flow pretty well with the rest of the course and really test your accuracy. Lots of elevation change makes each hole very unique despite being relatively open on the whole. Tee signs are excellent and despite being in a pretty well used park the holes themselves are out of the way so you don't really have to worry about colliding with other park patrons.
Cons: There can be some "longer" walks between holes, but really they aren't extreme. This is NOT a course for short arms. If you throw less than 300ft you will probably hate this course. Otherwise not a lot of "cons" I can think of.
Other Thoughts: I love longer courses as most of the ones I've played (and especially my current home courses) are shorter with maybe 1 hole over 350ft to air one out. This was a great breath of fresh air. I drove up from Birmingham just to play this course and was definitely not disappointed. While its not the best course I've played its a very good one. Along with the many other courses in Huntsville, Indian Creek provides one more element to the local disc golf scene to truly make Huntsville a destination for disc golfers.

great one

5+    3/15/2011   4/8/2011
Review By: jcburton24
Pros: Excellent championship caliber course. Great design and layout. Grippy concrete pads on every hole. Some of the best tee signs I have ever seen. Great baskets. Excellent variety of shots and distances. Will test every shot you have and you will use every disc in your bag playing it.
Cons: Not much I can say here. Flooding sometimes after heavy rains. Lots of traffic in the park. Not exactly crazy the way hole 18 plays so close to the playground.
Other Thoughts: One of the best courses in the area, if not the best. Play it every chance I get. Very challenging and fun.

A Throw in the Park

1    10/20/2010   11/6/2010
Review By: SirRaph
Pros: Built through a park, yet has very few shots where foot traffic comes into play. Pretty area with a very friendly feel.
A good variety of required shots. Powerful players rewarded, but well-placed upshots from less powerful players can keep the score card close.
Wind came into play a number of times, which is fun when it doesn't dominate the course.
Cons: I can see how tall grass or standing water could make this course horrible. Luckily, we had neither during our trip.

Hole 18 has you throwing towards a playground. That's a very bad idea.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed this course, and would play it any time I was in Huntsville.

Very Nice

1    3/8/2010   3/9/2010
Review By: jeramie75
Pros: Great signs, well marked,Lots of area to work with, elevation changes, big arm and tight wooded shots needed, OB on some holes, Nice park.
Cons: Although I played on a sunny day, I could tell that mud would be a problem after a hard rain.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed this course. A lot of variety to keep things fresh. Wind on the open holes also adds to the challenge. A "must play" if you are in the area!