Huntsville, AL
3 / 300ft.   3 / 300ft.   3 / -- Par / Distance:

Indian Creek

1    6/25/2011   7/1/2011
Review By: pbgolfpb
Pros: 1. I liked the layout of the course. They Park was nice and it had a stream running thru the middle. Even had an area right behind one of the baskets that had a rope swing so you could cool off after the round.
2. Nice T-signs and T-pads.
3. There were signs warning walkers of discgolfers and discgolfers of walkers. and plenty of signs to guide you around.
4. Nice Map of the course, not very hard to remember.
5. I liked the different elevation shots that some holes offered.
6. Plenty of shade to find when playing the course.
7. to me this is a Championship level type course. You need to bring your long game for this course and plan on a couple of hours to play.
Cons: 1. The only con I see is that this is a long course and the grass needs to be kept cut. It was low for me, but still had issues sometimes to find disc thrown down the middle.
Other Thoughts: Overall, I really enjoyed the course. Levon did a great job creating a championship type course that I think every city should have. At least those with multiple course.

Thoroughly enjoyed

1    5/29/2011   5/29/2011
Review By: heywillard90
Pros: Long, short, tight and open shots. Plentiful distance overall. Good signs and pads. Beautiful park with open areas, woods, a flowing stream and nice bike path.
Cons: Most of the open areas and filled with weeds instead of grass; the thistles will bite if you have shorts on. I had trouble navigating the course, the signs can only help you so much. The course is too spread out.
Other Thoughts: I loved most aspects of this course. The main issue is how spread out everything is. It felt more like a ball golf course, and for those of us who play know how tiring it can get without a golf cart. Otherwise enjoy the course

1    5/15/2011   5/17/2011
Review By: Redneck Machismo
Pros: Some really good and well thought out holes on a good piece of land for disc golf. While some holes might appear "wide open" to a beginning player they in reality require good strategy to play them correctly with length playing a secondary role. True course management and real ability to hit lines and place shots is required to score well here. A rarity among new course is that there is very little luck on this course; you either play well or you don't.
Cons: Several holes seemed to just be filler holes. The 17th hole is one of them and is also the site of the now mandatory circus elevated basket. Even more pathetic than its mere existence is the fact that this one isn't even close to being level, upping the Benny Hill factor significantly. Perhaps one day the PDGA will move past their ostentatious worries like banning electronic cigarettes and chewing tobacco and address real game issues like a standardized basket height.
Other Thoughts: It seems like this course was designed around a few must have holes. This is a common mistake and always makes for a compromised track. It is saddening that a hall of famer like Wolfe would have made such a neophyte mistake; I would have thought he would know better than this. However on the bright side at least there aren't random trees in the middle of the line on every hole and, except for the clown-town basket on seventeen, everything is fair.

Really Diverse Course

1    4/22/2011   5/17/2011
Review By: ZMan44
Pros: The most glaring positive aspect of Indian Creek DGC is the design. The holes vary in length, style, terrain, and elevation. Whoever designed this course was very deliberate in their work. It forces the player to execute a number of various shots.

Baskets were in excellent condition...probably a given since the course is fairly new.

While there are a few holes near the front of the facility, a number of the holes are very secluded with only the Indian Creek Greenway in the vicinity.

There are a number of multiple throw holes. While some may not care for the distance, I like it better that way. It gets boring taking aim at the basket on every tee shot. I like the consideration involved in determining an efficient landing zone so that you set yourself up with a high-percentage approach. This leads to more dispersion in scoring and penalizes errant tee shots to a greater degree.
Cons: As bjreagh mentioned, the drainage on Hole A was pretty bad. We played it anyway, but you had to walk back around the playground to finish the hole.

The design of Hole B necessitates throwing over the walkway...which is obviously bad.

Hole 17 was a throw-away hole. It was wide open. The only memorable aspect of the hole is the pin located on the man mad steps. To mee, it is just silly to use these devices. I guess they were just trying to take away the "filler hole" label...but let's call it what it is...a "filler hole".
Other Thoughts: This park is accessed by driving through a nice neighborhood. I would absolutely love to live within 200 yards of a course of this caliber...and there were houses for sale this close to the course. The park seems like a great place for families as it had a very nice playground, a dog park, and greenway access. The course itself is not beginner/family friendly, but you can take the wife and kids and let the kids play while you get in a round.

I know I mentioned the design in the "Pro" section, but I feel it bears mentioning again. The terrain that is used is conducive to disc golf. There are some amazing holes here. Some may be long for intermediate players...but I love the challenge. Hole 15 with the pin position close to the creek is a beautiful hole. Easy, but aestheticly pleasing.

In short, Indian Creek is an excellent addition to the Huntsville course list. It is my favorite course that I have played in Huntsville. (haven't played Redstone...which I hear is good) If you are in the area, it is definitely worth a stop. If you are going to Huntsville for a few days, this course is a must-play. It is not quite good enough to plan a specific trip solely for this course...but it is still an excellent course.

1    4/22/2011   5/3/2011
Review By: bjreagh
Pros: Indian Creek is a fairly new course in the Huntsville area. It is in a large city park/greenway area in the back of a nice neighborhood. It has all the amenities you would expect with a newer city course- concrete tees, good baskets, detailed color tee signs with hole map, a colorful course map on the kiosk, a picnic pavilion next to the kiosk, and ample parking. The course map shows multiple pin locations, so I assume the baskets get moved/rotated from time to time to add some variety with different configurations. The park and course were very clean, the fairways were mowed, and nothing was in bad shape or broken. The course makes good use of the available land and is well spread out.

Indian Creek has 20 total holes: A, B, and then 1-18. There is a nice mix of various degrees of playing in the woods to wide open, although the course is more on the open side. (Even the holes in the woods have wide fairways with the only trouble being the edges and nothing to avoid in the middle.) I would not describe this course as hilly, but there are a few holes where elevation is a factor. Water is a factor on 5 holes in the form of a pond and a fairly large creek. Many of the holes have OB to add extra challenge. There is also a wide variety of hole length from the 200's to the 700's, several holes should be considered par 4's by amateurs due to the distance. This is the longest and most open of all the Huntsville courses and those with bigger arms are going to love having the chance to air out some drives. The distance challenged can still enjoy their rounds here as every hole is not super long and a few holes do have alternate tees.
Cons: The first problem is the standing water on A and B. They were virtually unplayable. And I am guessing since they are called A and B that they were an afterthought. (Maybe they weren't in the original design because they flood a lot? Or maybe they are A and B so you can leave them out and still feel like you played a complete round of 18?) Whatever the reason be aware that hole A may be underwater.

The walking trail comes into play on a few holes. Hole B especially since it plays on a narrow slice of land between the pond and creek, but the fairway IS the walking trail! Hole 15 is also dangerous as it is surrounded on two sides (the right and straight ahead) by the walking trail- this is just asking for injuries. (It was my favorite hole on the course though with a hyzer around trees to a basket next to the creek, but I can see this hole getting redone in the future.) You have to walk around/through the playground to get to hole #1, it just seemed weird, like we were interfering/intruding.

There are longer than normal walks from 2-3, 3-4, and 14-15. Navigation was pretty easy without a map, but a little more help from 2-3 would have been helpful as it is completely out of sight, down the walking trail, over the bridge, and across the creek.

Opinion cons- There are a few holes that are just too wide open. The baskets are always in good spots, but there is no skill involved in driving except for throwing far on these holes as there is no trouble to have to avoid, and to me it was boring until you get to the basket. Also, the elevated basket on #17 is there for no reason other than just to have one. I don't mind baskets up on a mound or on a boulder or in a tree, but it seems like every new course now insists on having their gimmicky elevated basket up high on a man-made structure. I know with this issue some people like it, others don't, and some don't care.
Other Thoughts: Indian Creek is definitely different than the other Huntsville courses, and most similar to UAH. Each course has its own style and I really like that about this city. Huntsville may not have any top 50 national courses, but it does have several solid courses each with their own personality and style. (For a good variety play more than one when you are here.)

Tournaments will be played at Indian Creek for sure. This is a good place to play that will challenge all aspects of your game, but it just doesn't quite pass my litmus test of being "Disc Golf Paradise" and worthy of a 4.0-5.0 rating (I can't use the words Excellent/Phenomenal/Best-of-the-Best to describe this course.) The main reason I feel this way is, even though each hole is unique from the others on the course, no holes really stood out as being signature holes. Even the best holes here would be considered average on most of the top rated courses. So I give it a strong 3.5 (Very Good). I only say all this because I was pumped about a new 4.5 course being so close to me, and then I was a little disappointed when I played it because my expectations were way too high.

*This review reflects the course conditions as I played it literally just a few days before the historic and devastating tornado outbreak on 4/27/11. I am unaware of any damage that may have occurred as a result since I live out of state. Obviously disc golf ranks way behind the loss of life and personal property, and my thoughts and prayers are with all those affected by this tragedy. Getting in and out of Huntsville may be difficult for a while, and I would suggest researching course playability before planning a trip to Alabama anytime soon.

Break out your driver

1    4/20/2011   4/20/2011
Review By: The Drake
Pros: This course is a long arms dream to play. Set in a beautiful public park the fairways are very well maintained. Because its so open its pretty easy to navigate. I'm used to playing shorter courses so this was a nice change of pace for me. The course also offers something more than just distance. There are some shorter holes which flow pretty well with the rest of the course and really test your accuracy. Lots of elevation change makes each hole very unique despite being relatively open on the whole. Tee signs are excellent and despite being in a pretty well used park the holes themselves are out of the way so you don't really have to worry about colliding with other park patrons.
Cons: There can be some "longer" walks between holes, but really they aren't extreme. This is NOT a course for short arms. If you throw less than 300ft you will probably hate this course. Otherwise not a lot of "cons" I can think of.
Other Thoughts: I love longer courses as most of the ones I've played (and especially my current home courses) are shorter with maybe 1 hole over 350ft to air one out. This was a great breath of fresh air. I drove up from Birmingham just to play this course and was definitely not disappointed. While its not the best course I've played its a very good one. Along with the many other courses in Huntsville, Indian Creek provides one more element to the local disc golf scene to truly make Huntsville a destination for disc golfers.

great one

5+    3/15/2011   4/8/2011
Review By: jcburton24
Pros: Excellent championship caliber course. Great design and layout. Grippy concrete pads on every hole. Some of the best tee signs I have ever seen. Great baskets. Excellent variety of shots and distances. Will test every shot you have and you will use every disc in your bag playing it.
Cons: Not much I can say here. Flooding sometimes after heavy rains. Lots of traffic in the park. Not exactly crazy the way hole 18 plays so close to the playground.
Other Thoughts: One of the best courses in the area, if not the best. Play it every chance I get. Very challenging and fun.

Sick Course!

1    2/22/2011   2/22/2011
Review By: robasse
Pros: I thought that the couse was super! The course is very easy to navigate and a great place to use distance as an advantage if you have it. The wooded holes are a solid challenge, but not ridiculous and the open holes are challenging due to distance, wind, and elevation.
Cons: Not many cons other than, I would like to have known going in that all of the pins were in one location or the other and not a mix. For an out of town player mixed pins are confusing.
Other Thoughts: Out of the 40 courses that I have played at this point in my career this course is atop the list. I love long courses and this one did great in soothing my urge to throw bombs. Just wish I would have had more tail winds.....

A Throw in the Park

1    10/20/2010   11/6/2010
Review By: SirRaph
Pros: Built through a park, yet has very few shots where foot traffic comes into play. Pretty area with a very friendly feel.
A good variety of required shots. Powerful players rewarded, but well-placed upshots from less powerful players can keep the score card close.
Wind came into play a number of times, which is fun when it doesn't dominate the course.
Cons: I can see how tall grass or standing water could make this course horrible. Luckily, we had neither during our trip.

Hole 18 has you throwing towards a playground. That's a very bad idea.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed this course, and would play it any time I was in Huntsville.

Amazing!!!

5+    8/11/2010   8/18/2010
Review By: Rick Chains
Pros: Excellent variety of long, short, wooded, open, left, right, uphill, downhill... You get the picture. This sucker is LONG, so prepare for a hike! Large, well-designed map at the start of the course tells you everything you need to know. Very nice signs at each pad. Multiple pad and pin positions on several holes make for excellent variety potential. Concrete pads are large and in great condition. DISCatcher baskets, top of the line. A very scenic course that is new, but should become a championship-level course in the next few years. Don't be surprised when a major event comes here.
Cons: Not for beginners! I'm not sure who is responsible for maintenence on the course, but some of the "fairways" have knee-deep grass, and I did not enjoy searching 15 minutes for a perfectly thrown drive in the middle of the fairway. Long walks between holes 2 and 3, as well as 3 and 4. Otherwise, this is a winner of a course. Maintenence is my largest concern by far. Someone has to cut that grass more often in the summer!!!