Course Extinct
Whitesburg, GA
Flyboy Aviation Share
Uploaded By: craigd Hole #5 (Taken 8/2010)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
 Flying off into the DGCR sunset

5+    1/16/2012   1/17/2012
Review By: Flyboy
Pros: It's right in my back yard...it kinda is my back yard.
Cons: Life is way too short!
Other Thoughts: Flyboy's my baby. I brought it into existence, so I'll admit up front, this review is biased, maybe even self-serving. I don't claim to be a course designer. Chuck, Dave, and the other course design Gurus out there...respect...I realize Flyboy has some mathematical design flaws. But I've been lucky to play more than my fair share of courses around the world, and can honestly say that Flyboy rewards excellence and punishes mediocrity like no other disc golf course I know. It's challenging but fair, and demands focus and execution the entire 3 to 5 hour round to score well. Slack off and the course will spank you pretty hard on the score card, and confiscate your plastic if you don't learn how to use it. The best compliment I get out here is when golfers tell me that my course made them learn something and helped improve their game. I've done my job.

The thing I like most about the place is how it makes me feel, plain and simple. Flyboy has soul, and there's no math in that. After hundreds of rounds on Flyboy, my fun-meter still gets pegged every time I go up against that Bia! My heart still literally pounds when I step up to the 3,4,5,6,9,14,15,25 tee pads, hoping that I'm worthy of those holes that day, because if I'm not, one of my troopers may not make it home. I still tear up a little when I turn the corner from 2's basket and step into the scenic splendor of hole 3. Can't wait for the grins to appear when my first-time Flyboy guests spy the giant ants on 7, the freaky faces in 13's wise old tree of dg, the little Screech Owl by 17's basket, Mom's excellent ham sandwich lunch after 21, the Flyboy country store on 23.....alright already! I love the place, OK? It makes me feel good. I'm spoiled and biased, I admit it.

So yep, I gave my own course a 5 disc rating. Tacky right? Eh, who cares, it's Flyboy's last DGCR review.

This has been a hell of a run for me! My little back yard course sprouting up from a single putting basket, to the highest rated disc golf course on DGCR. Getting to know and throw with the biggest names in the sport, hosting players from all walks of life from all over the world at my little corner of the universe....I really can't call it a dream come true, because I never could have dreamed it!

Creating Flyboy Aviation has been the most fun and rewarding thing I've ever done in my life, (well, aside from flying around with my hair on fire in a fighter jet) and I have to say, hanging with you guys has been the best part of it all....some of the finest people I've ever met, and you'll always be welcome at Flyboy. Thank you Tim and DGCR for sending these folks my way. Lillian, Wayne, Brad, and I have tried our best to live up to the course reviews, and treat our guests to the disc golf experience of a lifetime they came here for. It's been an honor for us.

I originally listed Flyboy on DGCR because I enjoy the camaraderie and social aspect of our sport, and hoped a few folks might occasionally drop in and shoot a round with me. I never anticipated the awesome power of this incredible website, and the resulting stampede of players headed my way once Flyboy rose through the DGCR ranks! I had no idea what I was in for, but I've loved every minute of the ride. Unfortunately, the ole demand has outstripped the ole supply of this back yard hobby operation. Great news if your aim is to expand operations and grow. I need to shrink to survive.

So reluctantly, I've asked Tim to remove Flyboy Aviation from the DGCR course list. There are several reasons for this, but mostly, I'm just tired. No one ever told me building, maintaining, and operating your own private disc golf venue was a full-time job, but trust me, here at least, it is. I think I've spent more time in the saddle of my Kabota the last few years, grooming the course, than I did in my Boeing 777, and believe me the 777 pays better. Don't get me wrong, this has all been a labor of love, and I'm very proud of what I've been able to accomplish with my little Flyboy Aviation science project. As I grow older though, I find that time becomes the precious commodity in life. Family time is most precious, and shouldn't be sacrificed. Unfortunately, I can't quit my day job flying jets to find the extra time required to run Flyboy Aviation the way I feel the top disc golf venue in the world should be run. So there you have it.

Being off the course list will take some pressure off, and buy me some time. Family time, and time to try going down a different ski slope or two before I get too darn old. Think little flying robots with gyro stabilized HD video cameras, bringing disc golf to the world in a way it's never been seen before. Think I'm kidding? We're already on it. I have a few more tricks up my sleeve for the last third of my life, and I don't intend to spend that precious time sitting on a tractor (although I'll admit, that's when I do some of my best thinking, and I do love the smell of diesel fuel in the morning).

I'll be passing the #1 baton back to Flip City from whence it came. I guess I've held it long enough, and if anyone deserves it, Bill does. There are new sensational pay-for-play courses coming on line at a rapid pace, and I'm heartened by my experience with Flyboy Aviation, that these private venues will be the successful and profitable future of our sport. My humble suggestion is that we embrace and nurture them.

Finally, the 64,000 dollar question: what will become of Flyboy Aviation? Well, it's not going anywhere. My fellow disc golf road warriors are always welcome here as my personal guests, when my schedule allows me to join them. Hey, I still love the game as much as ever, and look forward to throwing Flyboy with my local Buds and our occasional out-of-town guests....until I'm just too decrepit to throw anymore. "Disc golf or die!"

Kelly
Flyboy Aviation

A course and a museum

1    9/10/2011   1/4/2012
Review By: gaerith2
Pros: - The neighborhood the course winds through is beautiful and the surrounding woods and elevation changes give the course plenty of challenges.
- The water holes are picturesque and very challenging. You are left with the decision to go for it or lay up more than a couple of times.
- I didn't get to meet Kelly but his parents and Brad, the course pro, were all very friendly and accommodating.
- Good mix of open holes, wooded holes, and water holes.
- Rewards big arms and accurate arms alike. You've gotta have EVERY SHOT to play this course well.
- The inside of the hanger is amazing. You have to see it in person to understand how cool it is.
Cons: - A couple of the walks from basket to teepad could be shorter.

Other Thoughts: I really can't think of anything negative about this course. The only reason I didn't give it a perfect score of 5 is because I have played a few other courses that were more fun. I can't really describe it but the course is missing a certain kind of solemnity due to all of the houses around the course.
I prefer courses that are in more remote locations because I find it peaceful that way. That's just a personal preference though.
There is nothing wrong with this course, definitely one of the top 5 courses I"ve played.

Couldn't ask for better

1    12/28/2011   1/2/2012
Review By: kevinjturner
Pros: I've played a ton of disc golf courses in my life but this is the first time I've enjoyed myself so much I had to write a review. There is a good mix distance and accuracy required to play some of the holes on this course, but there are also a few holes where a pretty decent shot off the tee gets you an easy birdie. There are a couple "Glory Holes" as I call them where there is high risk and high reward. My personal opinion is that you don't come play a course like Flyboy without going for the Glory whenever the opportunity presents itself.
Cons: The only thing I was not absolutely thrilled about when I left was that Kelly beat me. Whenever I return, and I most certainly will, I'll have to right that wrong.
Other Thoughts: The hospitality we received was unparalleled. Kelly was a phenomenal guide and ready and willing to be of service any way possible.

A- = Amazing aviation experience!

1    12/30/2011   1/2/2012
Pros: Here is what I personally like and how this course stacks up in my list of 18 (and more) hole courses (over 215 played so far):

1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == B
(There are several outstanding holes in this category. My favorite is #25. A downhill throw of 385' is a good challenge and wildly rewarding to card a deuce on, but a lost disc and a lost stroke lurk (plays over a pond). The hole offers a bail-out option if one is feeling weak or timid for whatever reason. Best par-3 thinker hole I have ever seen! Unfortunately, much of the course is quite open and any danger on many/most holes is late in the fairway where the punishment for errors is not really much worse than if it were not there. Flyboy is good but not great in this regard.)

2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I'm a Blue level player (950ish skill) who throws 300' accurately, 360' max. == B
(About 1/3 of the holes are outstanding for me. But, about 1/4 are too short to get excited about and about another 1/3 are too long to be anything but a routine par…..or a bummer of a bogey if I manage to screw up the conservative play that would yield that routine par. In talking to Kelly, this is not surprising as this is by design - his intention is to "appeal to a broad range of disc golfers, even though I call it a championship calibre course." Flyboy is good but not great in this regard.)

3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography. == B+
(With 27 holes over some pretty cool terrain, there are a lot of different shots needed. However, with the early part of the majority of fairways being quite open, the course does not really impose that much from the tee pad. While different shaped shots are required, there is usually plenty of room to work the airspace. Where creativity will show up often is on the second throw a few of the par-4's....if you do not hit the generous landing zones (on the holes that have defined landing zones). Hole 10 is probably the coolest with a drive off a teepad on a bridge. Driving up hill, you can pick which fairway you want to navigate on your 2nd throw - the left one is a straight and narrowish fairway and the right one is a left turning narrower fairway. Too bad that there are not more holes like this one. Flyboy is good but not great in this regard.)

4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == B+
(The kind of beauty that does my soul good is found on holes 10-14. That happens to also be the only extended area where you get out of a developed feel. Other than patches of red Georgia clay peeking though eroded patches of grass on quite a few holes, there is nothing scruffy about the rest of the course as the upscale development is well manicured and pretty. But for me, it just is not an environment where I feel the toxins of daily stress being sucked out of me by the glory of nature. Flyboy is good but not great in this regard.)

5) Bonus points for multi-throw holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == 4 bonus points for this
(With 5 bonus points max for this, a 4 is generously appropriate. There are a lot of multi-throw holes (which is great and I wish there were more such courses) but only holes 9 and 10 have landing zones that you really need to hit accurately to put yourself in a position to get a good line to the basket in hopes of a birdie 3. Both 9 & 10 are fun designs but are diminished in that the first throw is totally open. I can see where hole 7 dishes out some good reward for those big arms who want to risk going for a birdie-4 on hole 7 (three 360' throws rather than four 270' tosses). To a lesser degree I see the same on hole 27 with big arms going for an eagle-3. But, I am not a big arm and so those designs end up bumping the "addiction factor" down for me as they present no real upside, and only downside for screwing up.)

PS: I grade courses on a school grading system…60-100 with no F's and the average/center point being a B-….been doing that for a long time and started transferring my ratings list to the similar 11 level rating system here when this cool/amazing site came online.
Other Thoughts: For its experience in total, Flyboy is rated 6.0 out of 5.0! My family and I stayed at the B&B and were totally blown away by that experience! The amenities and hospitality put out by Kelly and his parents was simply amazing. Thank you for providing that experience!! I am excited to hear what comes out of my kids' mouths over the next few years….and my wife is already recommending people go and visit - and not for the DG.

What Kelly has in place for DG'ers as far as amenities go is simply amazing. From the pro shop, to the brooms and signage at every tee (and copious next tee signs), to good will with neighbors, to the blow-away aircraft themed hangar complete with DG video games, to GPS enabled aircraft drones to photograph DG'ers in far reaches of the course, to a friendly honor system throughout, to web cams, to stocked ponds, to fun signs and creatures and other decorations around the course, to cool hand-made benches all over the course, to pool cleaning poles to fish out discs, to world class tee pads (on their way), and to even more I probably missed out on…..over the top! Unfortunately, my rating here only reflects the course and not the entire experience……because if it did, the scale topping out at 5.0 would not be high enough!

Awesome Flyboy Experience

1    12/28/2011   12/29/2011
Review By: grh826
Pros: The staff and treatment I received from Kelly and his parents was outstanding! While the course is amazing and by far the best I have ever played, the hospitality makes the difference for me. The round was about 4.5 hours, but that included lunch and the time flew by! If you have not played this course yet, contact Kelly and get a round scheduled as soon as possible.
Other Thoughts: The course was difficult (especially for a short-arm thrower like myself), but it was very playable and forced my game to become better. It is a course that makes you think about the round from the firs tee to the last putt. There are so many times in the round when you are presented with options and risk-reward scenarios. If you choose to play safe, that's okay and you can still score a birdie here and there. Take advantage of the short holes and go for the DUECE! You will need it!! I shot 110 (+15) and thought I played pretty well....last 10 holes in +1 helped! Pictures and reviews are nice, but you HAVE TO PLAY THIS ONE TO BELIEVE IT!! I will be back!!

southern paradise

5+    12/15/2011   12/16/2011
Review By: acerun16
Pros: Fly-Boy is the cream of the crop!! I have played well over fifty courses and traveled the country playing disc golf in the open division. I have yet to see anything that can compare to what Fly-Boy has to offer. No other course has so many "signature" holes that leave you in awe not only from the difficulty and fun but also from the magnificent views that seem to be neverending throughout your "stroll" through this aviation community. The one hole that sticks out in my mind has to be the par 5 hole #3 which me and my buddy dylan who played it yesterday both eagled!! The combination of LONG holes, water, tight shots, elevation changes, and sheer amount of time it takes to play this make this course a true test of not only your dg skills but conditioning as well!! After only one ropund i feel like i have played three rounds at my local wooded course!! This place is what i imagine paradise to be like!!
Great layout
Great property
Great baskets
Great rubber tees(which i was told by kelly are coming up soon to put permanent ones in)
Great people!!!!
Cons: The one and only con is the fact that this course is not within 5 mins of my house!!
Other Thoughts: The hospitality here is second to none and really makes you feel comfortable and almost like royalty like mentioned by so many of the other reviewers!! We show up to see kellys parents kickin back in their recliners in the hangar eating fruit and watching the dogs play just relaxin in the morning sunshine.... we throw a couple shots to warm up and i spot a hammock between two trees by number 23s basket.... i proceed to go lay in it and look out over the property and thinking to myself "theres nowhere id rather be!!"

Best of the Best, no comparison

2-4    11/11/2011   11/16/2011
Review By: AdamJ
Pros: By far the greatest course that should be on everyone's list. Special thanks to Kelly's family for all the hospitality and a great time. This is the ultimate disc golf challenge, experience, that will test every aspect of your golf game. Thanks again Brad for the two round tour, hope to see you all again sometime next year.
Cons: Not enough time to play a 3rd round, or 4th or many many more. I had no problem with rubber tee pads as apposed to concrete, considering the situation.
Other Thoughts: Course must stay as an exclusive stop for the serious Disc Golfer to maintain all its greatness. Bed and Breakfast is a definite must as well as giving a great donation for all they have done. Closest course to perfection we have.

surpassed my expectations

1    10/23/2011   11/5/2011
Review By: bob brent
Pros: Before I had the opportunity to play this awesome course, I had read some reviews and heard comments like a slice of heaven best course ever if there was disc golf in heaven this would be the only one you would want to play. Well I have been playing disc golf a very long time and everything I heard was true thats why it was unbelievable that it actually surpassed all of my expectations. Not only is the course beautiful in landscape and design but the atmosphere and especially the hospitality of Kelly and his family made it an experience I will always remember.
Cons: ??
Other Thoughts: next time I play Ill make a weekend of it!
bobaloo
1011

A slice of heaven

5+    10/23/2011   11/4/2011
Review By: The Animal
Pros: The other reviews tell it like it is!
Cons: The distance I have to drive to get there, but well worth it!
Other Thoughts: Make arrangements for the Bed and Breakfast or camp next to Kelly's hanger for the ultimate disc golf weekend! Please make a generous donation.

Best course you'll ever play!

5+    10/13/2011   10/13/2011
Review By: McCabe
Pros: If you haven't made the trip out to Whitesburg, GA. to play this course you're truly missing out.
This 14,000 foot 27 hole par 95 course is simply amazing. It truly tests every shot in your bag. It's probably the first course I've ever played that is completely FAIR! If you throw good shots you're rewarded with birdies and even eagle opportunities. If you throw bad shots and get off the fairways you can still save you par, the way disc golf was meant to be played in my option.
The course:
Just about every hole is a signature hole on the course, great elevation, taxi-ways as fairways, and 3 lakes make for some great obstacles.
Hole number 3 is possibly my favorite hole in DG. This 750 foot par 5 plays slightly downhill using a Taxi-way for the fairway, it's about 445 feet to the waters edge and another close to 300 feet across the water, very tempting eagle chance here.
Hole 25 is another one of my favorites. This par 3 385 footer that 90% of the hole is over water, if you chose to go for the deuce. there is also a fairly easy lay up area off to the left if wish to play for par.
All in all Flyboy is a great course, not easy in any way, but throw good shots and every hole can be birdied..
Cons: The course is in Georgia and I live in Kansas
Other Thoughts: Special thanks to Kelly Leggette and his family for being great hosts at their Bed and Breakfast that is also located right on the course! That's right, B&B within 200 feet of hole 1. This course should be a must on the bucket list of every discer!

Eric McCabe