Course Extinct
Whitesburg, GA
Flyboy Aviation Share
Uploaded By: craigd Hole #12 (Taken 8/2010)

Aceputt

1    7/21/2011   7/25/2011
Review By: aceputt
Pros: Outstanding pro quality course. Just like playing on one of the best ball gold courses. Long but FAIR fairways, challenging your game at every level. A must play course for all. The accomodations were high class and comfortable. Our hosts treated us like long lost friends. I can't say enough, they went out of their way to make us feel at home. I will return as soon and as often as I can.
Cons: I have tried hard to come up with something to qualify as a "Con" but there is really nothing I can come up with that would'nt me meaningless.
Other Thoughts: This course is a labor on love and I was honored to be allowed to share it with Kelly and his parents, Thanks Kelly!

Nothing But Smiles.

1    7/23/2011   7/23/2011
Review By: jdominy
Pros: Everything. There is nothing about this course that I didn't like. The hospitality was second to none. The course was in great shape. Lots of great details. Great signage. Lots of challenges, lots of variety in shots and holes. Kelly is the most gracious and awesome host and playing partner. I brought along three newbies, and he encouraged them and gave them advice the whole time, never once getting impatient. I, myself, had two birdies and lots of pars on the day, including a sweet shot over the lake on #3 I will never forget. This course is simply the best I've ever played, hands down. I will be back.
Cons: Too far for me to play more? It's a beast when it's almost 100 degrees?
Other Thoughts: The hospitality from Kelly, his parents was amazing to see. You just don't see this kind of thing. His mom made us lunch, and his dad gave us tomatoes to take home. Just amazing. And the course? It is THE BEST.

Simply the Best

1    7/14/2011   7/22/2011
Review By: jobwilson
Pros: When I woke up Friday morning and headed out for Orlando, the first thing I began thinking about was what was wrong with the experience. So I thought... and I thought... and I thought. The honest answer is that I could have kept thinking and I still would not have come up with a negative.
So I immediately switched my thinking to what was right about the course: everything. From the incredible hospitality that you experience as soon as you step out of the car (and subsequently until you leave the next morning) to the incredible course design, there is nothing that this course doesn't lack.

Strangely enough, all of this considered, I am speechless, unable to articulate the impact that this experience had on me. Luckily, I really don't need to review it. Everything I would say has been said. In fact, my experience was VERY similar to gcrussell (I played the course the following day and Kelly was still tired from his flight.)

So en lieu of rewriting what he said, I will just make a few notes of my fondest memories.

+Hole 3 is quite simply the most beautiful golf hole I have ever played. Emphasis on GOLF (Ball or Disc--I have played both). It's 780 feet, tall, mature trees line the beautiful grass fairway for 400'. After that 400', you have another 80' to the lake. When you get to the lake, you still have a 300' to a narrow peninsula.
+The bed & breakfast is so awesome. I had never stayed in a bnb, and was expecting floral quilts, squeaky beds and out of touch hosts. Quite the opposite. In fact, if my wife ever gets sick of all my discing and throws me out, this is what I am modelling my bachelor pad after!
+The dogs. I love dogs. They are the best people. The Flydogs were no exception.
Other Thoughts: If you love disc golf, and really want the experience of what disc golf is, I urge you to play this course. In fact, make a night or two of it. The bed & breakfast would be good for a group of guys to come down and make a weekend of it.

YOU MUST PLAY THIS COURSE!!!!!!

Man Crush

1    7/13/2011   7/15/2011
Review By: gcrussell4
Pros: I've been pretty lucky in the few years that I have been able to play disc golf. I have family on both sides of the country and I live in the middle. This has meant plenty of great road trips getting to see and play some of the country's finest courses our sport has to offer. Last summer I took the ultimate road trip playing 21 rounds on 17 courses in 11 days. I got to play Flip City, Idlewild, Kensington Toboggan, Holler in the Hills, and several others. I thought I had reached my personal disc golf mecca. I was wrong.

Earlier this week I got to see the Flyboy course for the first time. I was in the Atlanta area visiting in-laws and I emailed Kelly to see if it would be possible for me to come by. This leads us to:

Reason No. 1 you need to play this course: The hospitality.

Kelly emailed back a few hours later to say that he would be glad to have me if I didn't mind him being a little tired when we played our round. He invited me to the course to have some lunch around noon because that would be the earliest he could get there since he WAS FLYING IN FROM DUBAI. It didn't matter that he would have been away from his wife for the last few days and that he would have just completed a marathon flight halfway around the world...he was still willing to come out to host a single disc golfer who he had never met. Classy.

We had lunch (half of it fresh from the garden), took a tour of the B & B which Kelly basically built himself (awesome--at this point I am beginning to realize that he is just one of those guys who excels at everything), and started off on our round.

Reason No. 2 you need to play this course: The setting.

Looking around as we started playing it was pretty clear that the area was about as picturesque and ideal for disc golf as I have ever seen. Green everywhere. The woods are healthy and full. Thick grass covers rolling hills around lakes and ponds. Kelly told me that the course really just kept evolving over time and it is easy to see how. Have you ever heard an artist say that they are trying to discover the final product, to let it reveal itself? This land had to reveal the course that was made to be there. Each hole fits perfectly where it is. No throwaways.

Reason No. 3 you need to play this course: The golf.

As the round went on, the hospitality and the setting faded into the background as the quality of the disc golf showed itself. I don't think I have ever played a course that so excellently balanced length, technicality, slope, right and left handedness, risk, reward, challenge, and fun. You would be satisfied playing this course no matter what you are looking for, it has something for everyone. Best of all, it is fair. There was not a single place on a single hole where I felt like luck was the prevailing factor. The most skilled player will be the most successful player out here (provided they keep their head on straight) 9 times of 10. I could go on about every hole like some others have, but just know that the golf is the best part of the whole experience, and that is not meant to diminish the rest of the experience at all.

My day at Flyboy will be something I will remember for a long time. I have played a lot of great courses in my time, and I always had a hard time singling any one out as a favorite. That problem is solved as Flyboy is my head and shoulders number one. I officially have a man crush on this course.

2-4    6/11/2011   6/12/2011
Review By: discgolfmaniac
Pros: No doubt the best course I have ever played on, I can now see why its considered the number one course in the nation! Yes the course was challenging but every hole had its personal characteristics. Even though it was tough the course it isnt supposed to be hard its made for people to enjoy and have a great disc golf experience. I loved the rubber mats on every tee box as well. The course was in great shape and conditioned fairly well! I would recommend this course to any decent disc golfer! I plan to play it again in the fall!

Glad to See Flyboy on Top

1    3/21/2011   6/2/2011
Review By: dylan_disc_jockey
Pros: My three buddies and I were traveling south to Florida from Wisconsin and spent a night at Flyboy on the way. I have never had a better experience in my life. Coming in with no expectations, Kelly and his family showed us true southern hospitality. Not to mention the most beautiful B&B and disc golf course ever. Being amateur disc golfers with a passion for the game it was a bit intimidating heading out to play with Kelly and his buddies, but I have never played with a greater group of guys. Strangers felt like friends in minutes.

The course itself is beyond words. It is an environment unlike any other. A non disc golfer would be in awe of the scenery. The holes were challenging in the most fun of ways. There were a couple of holes mixed in for an ace run, and a couple that required multiple drives. In 27 holes of disc golf there was not one hole that I was disappointed with. I have played 7 of the top 10 rated courses on DG course review and I personally do not believe any of them come anywhere close to Flyboy.
Cons: I don't live there.
Other Thoughts: If you love this game and want to experience it in a way that nowhere else can offer, you must contact Kelly and make a reservation to stay at and play his disc golf mecca. Thank you Kelly for your hospitality and beautiful disc golf course.

Awesome outing

1    5/25/2011   5/31/2011
Review By: vongripper
Pros: Kelly and his staff(family & friends) were amazing.Although I am a recreation level player,Kelly made us feel at home on the course.The course is long ,although they shortened the last 8 holes for us due to time constraints.Hard to believe that we could have had a better outing.This is a private course and we were treated as if we were long throwing pros.Very,very nice course and atmosphere.
Cons: It is a 3.5 hour drive from Augusta,but I look forward to going back.I can't wait.
Other Thoughts: Kelly's willingness to make this outing happen for me and my guests (we came from Birmingham,Atlanta,New Haven,CN and Augusta)was beyond measure. Thanks,Kelly.

Disc Golf Heaven

2-4    4/17/2011   5/24/2011
Review By: BigJerm
Pros: "When I die I hope Heaven is just a little bit like this place." -Brock Woodall, 2011 Atlanta Open.

This is the course to end all courses. Future disc golf development need not attempt to improve upon what has already been laid down in Whitesburg, Georgia. Just do your best to mimic what you see here and you'll be doing just fine haha!
This fantastic disc golf course incorporates everything, and i mean E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G that you would want if variety, entertainment and a challenging yet uber fair test of skill is your thing. Length a plenty, elevation galore, scenic surroundings, water hazards, tight/ short, tight/ long, open/ short and open/ long fairways, gimmicky yet interesting and very fun putting greens with everything from a elevated basket to a basket in the ground, mandos, peninsulas, par 3's, 4's and 5's... HAHAHA! Just literally everything. Its funny how awesome this course is.
Cons: The cons are simple. On a rainy day the rubber tees might prove to be a little slick, especially for those holes that you really want to open up on. This is an issue that most likely will never change due to the course being located throughout an aviation community. Also the course has a mix of baskets from Lightning DB-7's to Innova Discatchers. The Lightning baskets are definitely not my favorite by any means. They have his inverted shaped basket that seems to not catch anything higher than midway up the chains. This will be most likely be addressed over time as more people play the course and more money is raised for Kelly to improve to an all Discatcher course.
Other Thoughts: I have been playing disc golf for 5 years and I have played 137 courses across the country. I have made my living from this game for the past two years so every time I see a new course I am highly critical of it. I have never left a course with the feeling I had after the first time I played @ FlyBoy. I have no problems saying that it is the best course I have ever played. Typically, if you design course that has only 3 or 4 'ehh...' holes you're not doing too bad, this place has none of those. And its 27 holes long!
A lot of people like to hypothesize what we can do to grow the game in the public's eye. Well i believe I finally have the solution. We somehow get an imprint of this place and stamp one in every state in the country. Texas and California can have two because they are pretty big. The nation will see what disc golf is all about and people will realize how marketable our game really is. Stamp one in every country and BOOM- Disc Golf is now an Olympic sport. Unfortunately this might be very difficult so until we find a way to make this possible, make a reservation with Kelly to stay at the bed and breakfast, get a plane ticket to Georgia and come experience disc golf in a way that would have made Steady Ed proud of the game he invented.

A weekend to remember!

1    5/21/2011   5/23/2011
Review By: AirMcNair
Pros: Starting off we were able to play the short 18 hole course Friday evening that was just pure fun. A mix of short holes, with a few long holes, and water shots. Very fun course.

Now to the main course.

This course has so many signature holes that it would make up its own 18 hole course. Hole 2, 3, 9, 13, 15, 22, 23, 25, 26, and 27 are all amazing. Hole 3 is the hole that defines this course, amazing 780ft par 5 across water with an awesome view.

This is by far the best course I have ever played. You need every shot in your bag and you need to execute every one of them. There are annys to hyzer to side arm shots all in a single hole. You don't need a huge arm to shoot down even with it being 13,000ft which makes it good for every player. That is what makes this course even better, everyone can play, have fun and shoot good.

The baskets are slowly all becoming disc catchers but even the Db5's are awesome with double chained by Kelly. The tee pads are rubber mats with a lot of grip. There are great tee signs that are very detailed and even tell you how far it is to the water is if it in play. Kelly had brooms at the tees just in case of sand or pine needles on the pad.

This course has so much innovative ways to make a hole that you never get tired of saying WOW THIS IS AMAZING! Hole 22 with an in ground basket, hole 24 with the Climo pin placement, hole 25 with the peninsula green, hole 26 with the tunnel 300ft shot, and so many more.
Cons: There is nothing wrong with this course I can to find. I would say one thing that would make this course even better would be having water coolers (like ball golf courses) around the course. We decided to play all 27 through and we were dying for some cold water. Which I would pay extra for.
Other Thoughts: When my buddy and I arrived Friday afternoon we were speechless at the hanger, B&B, and the personal tour of the course from Kelly. Kelly wanted to show and play the course with us Friday night but had previous engagements. Instead he gave us a map of the short course he came up with for the Fly Girl tournament and told us have at it. He even allowed us to go fishing in the lake by hole 3 Friday evening.

We had 5 of us staying at the B&B and were feed by Kelly's mother breakfast and lunch. I slept on the couch and Kelly went above and beyond to show how bad he felt I had to sleep on the couch. Amazing place and amazing people, watch out for Morgan the loveable terrier that opens your bag and steals food out of it.

I did bring my dog but be sure to ease your dog into the course dogs. Once they know each other they are best friends.

If you plan on playing this course watch the ATO on you tube and study the maps and you will be very happy you did.

I will for sure be going back to play this course whenever I get a chance.

Discgolf Heaven

1    5/21/2011   5/23/2011
Review By: slowRoll
Pros: First of all, the hospitality was everything. Wayne, Lil, and Kelly are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet. Their bunkhouse facility is unreal. We stayed in a million dollar hanger/bunkhouse with custom everything. Every piece of furniture or stuff hanging on the wall is from a plane. The seats around the pool table were from airplanes, one looked like an ejector seat from a fighter jet. The beds felt like the big fluffy ones at a Hampton Inn. Breakfast was great, nobody left hungry. I've stayed in fleabag hotels that cost more than the $65 they asked from us. Flyboy is an incredible return on investment for your time and money.

There are more signature holes at this place than I could count. Holes #2 and #3 are the best pair of back to back holes I've ever played. Every hole over 400' was a challenge, but there were 4 or 5 shorter holes to allow those of us without big arms to have some ace runs too. The 1080' hole through the woods is completely fair where placement is more important than raw distance, and I ended up getting my picture taken as the only one that landed in "The Bunker". The thing is, over 27 holes and almost 13,000' of discgolf, everybody is going to have bad holes. Flyboy is designed so well that it gives you the chance to "pull the nose up" and save your round even after taking that disastrous 7 or 8.

The fairways are fair. There are no poke and hope holes. Great mixture of open and wooded holes with almost every hole having elevation coming into play. The 530' uphill par 3 #4 is such a demanding hole with water on the left off the teebox. I just really enjoyed all of the challenges Flyboy presented. It was always something different, and usually there were several things to think about on each hole. There were no repetitive holes… None. 27 holes of challenges to test what you are made of, and give you the chance to play it safe or roll the dice. That is the key to a great design.

The magnitude of this course is really in how beautiful the land is. The property is huge. I have no idea how Kelly keeps it all together so well, but the entire course was beautifully manicured (takes 4 days to mow!). With water coming into play on so many holes you would enjoy just walking around the property. The fact that he shaped the best discgolf course in the world into that piece of land is really what sets Flyboy Aviation apart from the rest.
Cons: The property is so large that persons not in good shape might struggle to complete their round in the heat. I also think that young children would struggle to play the course just because of its overall length. For me these were non-issues, but those of you with small children should stop to consider exactly how huge a task you are asking your child to tackle.
Other Thoughts: Breakfast was at 8:30. We started warming up around 9 and teed off at 10:00. We played in a 6'em without a course pro so we could all be together. Our round took just under 6 hours to play in 90 degree heat. You absolutely cannot bring enough to drink with you. I took 2 large water bottles with me, and still ran out. We were all exhausted. Our minds and bodies were pushed to the limit, but at the end of it all, we had these stupid smiles plastered all over our faces. The running joke of the day was that if the rapture had happened at 6:00pm, we wouldn't have even notice because we were already in discgolf heaven.

This course kicked our butts, but I was really proud of how we all hung in there. Best I've ever seen, or probably ever will see.