Course Extinct
Whitesburg, GA
Flyboy Aviation Share
Uploaded By: craigd Hole #11 (Taken 8/2010)

1    1/21/2011   5/21/2011
Review By: chain-gang
This review was updated on 5/22/2011
Pros: Flyboy is the longest course i've ever played, you really have the opprutinity to air them out, All fairways were manicured nicer than some ball golf courses! True risk-reward on many holes due to water, or natural elements that can inhibit your next shot to well thought out basket placements.
Cons: I recently heard the 1700ft par 7 runway hole had to go, and It's just too far to play every weekend
Other Thoughts: Best disc golf course i've ever played, provided by some of the nicest people you will ever meet. great overall experience. If you ever get the chance to play it, DO IT!

Deserving of the Top Spot!

1    3/22/2011   5/17/2011
Review By: ZMan44
Pros: Where to begin?

1) Kelly is the most gracious and amazing host. This course is under constant care and tweaking at his hands. It was my privilege just to be able to play the game I love on the greatest piece of disc golf property I have ever seen. Kelly constantly offered us refreshments and took care of us like no other...and we were not even overnight guests.

2) Epic signature holes...they're everywhere. #3 is the single greatest disc golf hole I have ever seen. I am not ashamed to admit that I went in the water on my 3rd shot...but I almost cleared the water. Additionally, #2, #5, #7, #9, #13, #15, and #25 should all be considered for a Top 50 list of best disc golf holes.

3) Even the holes that are not on the list I just mentioned are well-designed and serve to add challenge and diversity to the course. There is not a single "filler hole" at Flyboy. Each hole is well thought-out, carefully planned, and nicely implemented.

4) Creativity - Hole 22 has a buried basket...I'm thinking roller ace. The CTP "dock shot" adds some spice in the middle of the round.

5) Equipment is in excellent condition. Tee pads are rubber but provide an ample amount of support and grip.

6) There is enough diversity in the design to keep everyone interested. Beginners will definitely not enjoy most of the course. However, there are a few ace runs mixed in to give them challenges they are used to handling. Big arms will definitely enjoy the length. Seasoned players who don't throw particularly far will enjoy using a variety of shot-shapes and flight paths.
Cons: This is nit-picky, but relevant...and also a positive. (see "other thoughts" below) This course is difficult to review because it changes so often. The course that I played is different from the course shown in the pictures due to the necessary removal of the runway hole. I understand that for the recent FlyGirls tourney their was some redesign as well including a shorter 18 hole course. So...obviously my review will not expound on that.

Other Thoughts: I listed only one con...and I want to further clarify this issue. I think it is amazing that Kelly is able and willing to alter the course. While I see this course as "The Best of the Best", I believe that Kelly sees improvements he can continue to make. I can't imagine how it could get much better.

The amenities and atmosphere were sensational. I didn' think about anything other than disc golf for nearly 5 hours. I soaked in the course as best I could...but I doubt I could learn every nuance. Having played 100+ courses, this is easily the most challenging round I have ever played. The sheer beauty of the terrain, the design of the course, the hospitality of the hosts, and the available pro-shop and refreshments make FlyBoy the greatest disc golfing experience I have ever encountered.

I got to play a majority of the course with Kelly, Brad, and Bill. They are all excellent players, and I learned a lot from them since I am really a novice/intermediate player. Some might say that the appointment playing schedule is a con. I disagree. I was truly happy with playing the round with guys who love the game and love the course.

In conclusion, there is nothing I can say that will do this course justice. It is the best course I have ever played. I have played Flip City and Idlewild (and will play Blueberry this summer) and while they are great courses, FlyBoy is in a league of its own. My friends went to the IDGC to play and on their way back home were going to FlyBoy. I left at 6:00 am and drove from Nashville to Whitesburg on a Tuesday morning just to meet them and play this course. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I conclude most of my reviews in the following manner: if you are in the area, give Kelly a call and try to set up a time to play this course. This is one of the very few "destination courses" in the country. It merits a trip solely to play this gem. I would drive many hours simply to play this course again...and I plan on doing so in the near future.

Thanks to Kelly for designing and maintaining a world-class disc golf facility and for letting a lowly duffer like myself enjoy his work.

The Masters of Disc Golf

1    4/25/2011   5/11/2011
Review By: RaSunGod
This review was updated on 5/15/2011
Pros: I had a business trip scheduled to North Carolina and knew I was going thru Atlanta. I sent an email to Kelly and set up a date to play on 4/25/11. Only problem was were going to arrive the night before (Easter). Kelly said no problem, his parents waited up and even had Easter dinner for us. In the morning another awesome meal. Man Kelly's mom can cook! The course had everything, elavation changes, ace shots, height changes to the baskets and of course water. #3 was my favorite and I birdied it. Every hole had brooms to sweep the tees and every water hole had poles with scoop to retrieve your disc. The hanger/house is only for the coolest of disc golfers. Pool table, model planes, jacuzzi tub and big screen tvs.
Cons: I only got to play it once :( Can't wait to schedule a 3 or 4 day trip.
Other Thoughts: Everything exceeded my greatest expectations. Kelly is genuinely a nice guy. Watch out for the killer ants. lol. People that go thru reviews and mark unhelpful are sad and pathetic.

Beautiful, Challenging, Fun and Memorable

1    5/7/2011   5/10/2011
Review By: jbkorver
Pros: I can't help but judge courses on their beauty and Flyboy Aviation is spectacularly beautiful with pristine maintenance, grand trees and peaceful ponds. The course is challenging and demanding as I believe good golf should be. It has true par 4's and 5's as well as reachable par 3's. It is apparent that significant thought was put into the design of every hole. There are no two holes alike which is rarely the case. I've had some great opportunities in this sport which have allowed me to play disc golf in every state in the Union as well as many other countries. I do not hesitate to say that this is now my favorite disc golf course.
Cons: I can think of none.
Other Thoughts: Beyond the amazing course, you can not over look the equally amazing hospitality that this private course offers. This place provides a unique experience at a level that all other private courses should aspire to.

Field of Dreams

5+    4/17/2011   5/10/2011
Review By: Bradshaw
Pros: Major style layout requiring both diverse physical skill and golf management skill to achieve par.

Play or spectate to achieve the ultimate goal, ... having a good time.

- Diverse layout incorporates power shots, finesse shots, lefty/righty friendly shots, rollers, hammers, thumbers, S-shots, hyzers, anhyzers ... every shot can be utilized.
- The course takes advantage of the elements very well with water hazards placed at different lengths requiring risk/reward decision making, open holes conducive to wind, woods holes requiring precision, and elevation changes requiring up hill, down hill and side hill shots.
- This course is Maintained and managed in pristine fashion providing the look of an exclusive course but with a family and friends feel.
- Course is picturesque, beautiful holes laid right out in front of you.
- Course is on a large property and therefore modifiable to different layouts.
- Spectator Friendly (Visible play and navigable).
- Camping, Bed and Breakfast and other amenities available at Flyboy and close by.
- Low priced Green Fees
- Private

Cons: None
Other Thoughts: Best course I have played.

A Little Piece of Heaven

2-4    5/8/2011   5/9/2011
Review By: Dgunlock13
Pros: Huge variety of shots, lots of elevation, clean lines, beautiful scenery, and very well maintained and marked.
Cons: Not much to complain about with this course. Stellar all around.
Other Thoughts: Beautiful private course. A lot of people have put a lot of hard work into this course, so if some d-bag messes this up for all the rest of us I'm gunna be pissed. If you get to play it be respectful of the neighbors and what you pack in you better pack out.

Simply Awesome!!!

5+    3/19/2011   5/8/2011
Review By: Palmettoflyer
Pros: Absolute best disc golf experience possible. This course is the essence of what DG should be everywhere. Hands down the closest thing I've seen so far to a full featured disc golf course. What other course offers a place to stay and eat? Kelly has outdone himself on the course design, and the full package of amenities. No place else will you find southern hospitality mixed together with a great round of Disc Golf. The course layout is a challenge for sure. Every hole has something a different challenge to test the best of every player. You will know for sure what element of your game needs more practice when you finish play.
Cons: I think it has been said already. Only negative to this course is that I don't live very close. I've been playing this course since its inception and I look forward to each return visit.
Other Thoughts: Bring your best game and enjoy the beautiful layout and professionally designed course. You might be surprised who you might meet up with at Fly Boy Aviation.

An amazing experience

1    4/27/2011   5/2/2011
Review By: Destroyer12
Pros: My brother said everything I would say so just read his review (roclover). I just loved this course so much that I wanted to give it another 5/5. It deserves it.

Cons: none
Other Thoughts: Even though I'm usually afraid of throwing over water because of the fear of losing a disc I actually had fun at this course because it was all part of the experience.

I'm 13 years old now, but have played in 10 different states and 2 countries. This course is my 2nd favorite course ever, Idlewild in Burlington Kentucky being my #1. This was a great experience for me and all my family members too.

Thanks Kelly for sharing such a great day and course with me. I look forward to playing again.

The Perfect Disc Golf Destination

1    4/27/2011   5/2/2011
Review By: roclover
Pros: The Design:
Kelly has created a course that is quite literally "Alive". As more and more big names come to play this course; names like Ken Climo and Barry Schultz, not to mention design legends like Chuck Kennedy and Fred Salaz, all have left their mark. Kelly is the kind of guy who is always seeking advice and open to change, striving for the next level. As we played throughout the day he told us multiple stories of how holes had been changed and modified over time thanks to the advice of these disc golf legends. He has kept a beautifully humble spirit and is open to new ideas and suggestions, always looking to improve the course and players experience.

The Challenge:
This course will demand every part of your physical and mental disc golf game. Coming to play shortly after seeing footage from the Atlanta open I knew that the course would be long and difficult so I had made mental preparations as well as what I call "side bag" preparation. Basically that means that I had about 5-7 good/dependable discs (of the 23 I carry) set aside that I was prepared to lose. It's hard to describe what it's like, standing on the edge of the lake on signature hole #3, heart pumping, disc gripped tightly in hand… You've just thrown the perfect tee-shot, mashing it out to the 470' mark. Now you've got 310' to go with nothing in-between you and the basket but water… lots and lots of water. You're going crazy… park this and you could have a drop in eagle… duff it into the water and you'll be lucky to save par… Amazingly I didn't lose a single disc that day, however the sad end of this story is that I froze on my Eagle putt, and then my birdie putt, and walked off with the most disappointing par I've had in my entire life. I will be back to set the score straight with hole #3 as well as several other of the holes at this beautiful course. That's the effect it has on you, it gets in your head. I ended up shooting a 92 at Flyboy, but it was a "Drive for show putt for dough" kinda day as when adding up my missed short putts I could have easily saved 10 strokes. Each hole on this course is framed in my memory as I strategize a plan of attack for my next round at Flyboy. I can only hope it will come sooner than later.

Shot selection:
Holes ranging from 190'-1080', par 3's 4's and 5's, hyzer, anhyzer, roller, big air, and placement shots; uphill, downhill, sidehill, through the woods, over the water and through the triple mandatory (not kidding, that hole cost me my only bogey). This course has fantastic variety. I used nearly every disc in my bag as well as nearly every shot in my arsenal (don't think I threw any forehand rollers or tomahawks though I managed to stay in the fairway most of the time and those are typically scramble shots for me).

The Scenery:
The course is set in the beautiful rolling hills of Georgia. There are 3 large lakes that come into play as well as adding beautiful scenery. The red Georgia clay is quite striking, and adds beautiful contrast to the lush palette of greens in the hills, and browns in the forest.

The Maintenance:
Kelly spends more time every week picking up trash, pulling weeds, adding wood-chips, and mowing fairways then playing disc golf. He keeps the neighborhood happy by keeping the area immaculate. That's the trade-off, he is allowed to escort players all around the community's property to play the course as long as he maintains all the land. Make sure you thank him for the time he has put into making this dream course.

The Company:
Playing the course with its owner, designer and guide certainly has its benefits. Kelly and Brad were a joy to play with and I would gladly throw plastic with them any day. I played the round with 2 of my younger brothers and my father so with Kelly and Brad we had a group of 6, ages 13-53 all with different styles and skill levels. Never once though was anyone made to feel awkward or out of place. It felt like we were all good friends out for a stroll and a chat, surrounded by beauty enjoying this very special experience together.

The Accommodations:
We (my 2 brothers, father and I) spent the night in Kelly's parents Bed & Breakfest… I would recommend this to everyone, it is well worth the stay. We were treated to more than adequate space for the 4 of us and true southern hospitality. My dad and I stayed up late shooting pool in the airplane hanger (how cool is that!) while my brothers helped themselves to homemade cupcakes made by Kelly's mom. In the morning we woke up too hot coffee, sausage, eggs, fresh fruit and the best biscuits I've ever had (they just don't make them like that up in Wisconsin!)
Cons: This course is not in my backyard
Other Thoughts: When I first started seeing this course rise up in the ratings as quickly as it did I will admit that I was skeptical. However after being there and experiencing it for myself I now understand. I don't see how anyone can come, spend the night at the B&B, play the course with Kelly and walk away disappointed. If you don't believe me, then you'll simply have to go see it for yourself. Trust me, you will not be disappointed.

I almost feel like a different kind of review is needed for a place like this. So many of the typical problems with courses (poor markings/navigation, litter, over crowdedness, erosion, danger to pedestrians etc.) are just total non-factors at Flyboy. You eliminate all of that when you're being escorted by the owner/designer himself on private property. This was truly the most unique disc golf experience I have had to date. The only thing I can think of that would come close to comparing is High bridge. Perhaps we will need to create a new category to judge these "Destination Courses" against each other. I just can't see how a typical, "county/city park" would ever be able to compete against this caliber of course. Private and pay-to-play courses are definitely (in my opinion) paving the future of disc golf.

Kelly and family, thanks again for a wonderful experience.

Diskgolf

2-4    4/21/2011   5/2/2011
Review By: diskgolf
Pros: It is rather difficult to know where to start because there is such a WoW factor involved here. From the moment you drive onto the property you suddenly realize that this is no ordinary disc golf park. Who else has a disc golf basket at the entrance of their house and on top of a hangar with a wind sock as a flag?
About the course: 27 holes of disc golf bliss, requiring every shot imaginable. The true par 5's and 4's will remind you of ball golf (playing for the next shot). There are monster holes, elevation changes (virtually every hole), water holes that eat discs like the Cookie Monster (if you throw poor shots), wooded and open crusher holes: Your disc golf hunger will be satiated. The signage was great, the rubber pads were fine, and the layout flowed well. Bring your A game and alot of junk discs.
What makes Flyboy unique if not surreal is the fact the you have Pro course juxtaposed upon a private airstrip, nestled in verdent rolling hills dotted by beautiful homes and arching aircraft hangars. Furthermore and most importantly the whole experience is orchestrated by Kelly Leggette, his parents and his compatriot course manager Brad.
The course alone is a 5 star tour d'force. I'd have to say what marks this trip for me is the personal attention and professional approach taken by Kelly. The bed and breakfast is awesome and a must. The Pro shop was cool. What impressed me was Kelly's love for the game and his relentless pursuit of perfection. This course is as close to that ideal as you can get.
Cons: None
Other Thoughts: If you plan on visiting Flyboy, please return all the hospitality and generosity you receive back to Kelly, Brad, and Kelly's family. They have worked extremely hard to create something most of us could only dream about. Upon playing Flyboy, you will realize that the experience should be cultivated, cherished and not just consumed.