Course Extinct
Whitesburg, GA
Flyboy Aviation Share
Uploaded By: craigd Hole #6 (Taken 8/2010)
Hole #6 Tee: "Lefty's revenge"; 300' along lake shore and then hard right.

5* Course

2-4    4/16/2011   4/27/2011
Review By: bhuff
Pros: The atmosphere this couse provides from airplanes taking off and landing, long 1000' holes, signature water shots, elevation change, tight shots, open shots, risky shots...I could go on, all these add up to make one amazing and super fun to play course. Kelley and his family were VERY hospitable. I was there for the Atlanta Open and during the tournament round the wind was very heavy at times gusting upwards of 35+ mph, this makes the course way more challenging. I did have a chance to play it the day before the tournament with calm winds and it really tests your skills. Hopefully the recent tournaments held there will regain some trust in the neighbors to allow this course to be more freely played, but as of now you have to play with a "guide." The rubber pads were great in my opinion. I didn't play them in the rain but had no problems with footing or slipping on any hole. Mulch surrounding teepads. The neighborhood kids were selling snacks and drinks around hole 17!
Cons: The heavy winds during the tournament round! But nothing with the course.
Other Thoughts: Call ahead of time to set up a time with Kelley to play, but he is a very nice guy who loves showing people around.
If you don't want to risk losing a disc on hole 3, toss it in the water just on your side of the lake and get it then take drop from DZ across lake.

Flyboy Rules

2-4    4/16/2011   4/27/2011
Review By: discgolfga
Pros: This course is awesome. Test every part of your game, both mentally and physically.
I used almost every shot in my bag while playing this course. So many "signature holes" that I felt I was playing a best of the best type course. The course itself it just beautiful and the layout tests everything you got. I only wish I could play out there more often. After getting done with 1/2 your round you stop by the hanger for food and drinks. Makes you feel like you are at the pro shop of your local ball golf course. Kelly and his parents go above and beyond and give true meaning to southern hospitality. If you have been thinking about playing this course, give Kelly a call and set-up a tee time... or better yet stay on site in the bed & breakfast.
Cons: While there may be some things to work out, I did not rerally see anything that was a con in my book except for the fact that you can't just walk on and play this course.

Some may think the rubber teepads are a con, but they grip well and I had no problem with them even in the rain.

There are some shots where you have to clear water that some may not be able to throw across. Just bring some extra discs and you should be fine.
Other Thoughts: Can not wait to get back out there to play this course again.

Destination disc golf

1    4/22/2011   4/26/2011
Review By: mashnut
Pros: Kelly has built a remarkable thing here at Flyboy, with a course that stands on it's own as a complete, challenging, and fun course, and then you add in the hospitality and amenities and it's a perfect place to go spend a weekend playing. The course itself plays through woods and some more open areas. The open shots bring excellent water hazards into play, often along with interesting elevation. You throw over, along, and toward water on several holes here, and the water holes are generally excellent risk/reward shots where you have decisions to make on where and when to take on the water.

The course plays long, but there's not a single hole on the course that's just a grip n rip. If you try to bite off extra distance on the long holes, you often bring extra trouble into play. There are some shorter ace runs mixed in, so it never feels repetitive. You'll need a wide variety of shots to be successful, every single hole calls for different shots, and many offer multiple ways to attack the hole.

The tees are rubber, but almost all are nicely settled into the ground and make for perfectly fine tees. There are nice signs showing hole distance and layout, a pleasant surprise on a private course. The baskets are temporaries, but all have inner chains added so they catch just fine.
Cons: It's a real shame that the disrespect of some players has made this course guide-only, that means you really have to make a tee time and Kelly isn't always going to be available. A few of the tees aren't permanent because they would kill the grass on taxiways, so you either have rubber tees just laid down, or grass, not a big deal at all but a con to some. There are a few long walks that break up the flow, again not something that bothered me at all here though.
Other Thoughts: This course deserves it's place in the top 10, it's one of the most fun and challenging courses I've played, and offers so many signature holes it's hard to pick just one. If you can, plan to stay in the bed and breakfast here, it makes the experience even better to wake up to a hot breakfast before the round and have a delicious lunch waiting when you loop back to the hangar 2/3 of the way through your round.

Beginners are going to struggle here, there are forced water carries, long holes, and thick woods in spots that will frustrate a player without distance and control. This course will test any level of player, and offers plenty of variety and challenge even for the top pros while still being fun for an intermediate level player.

A Job Exceptionally Well Done

2-4    4/16/2011   4/22/2011
Review By: hankdabank
Pros: Where to begin...

From a neighborhood where houses have hangars instead of garages to the beautiful landscape and impeccable course design, everything about this place is special. There is a great deal of aesthetic appeal, but don't overlook the variety of different shots required to complete a solid round on this track.
Kelly Leggette is the most hospitable and friendly host that I have had the pleasure to meet.
Players were asked to keep the course clean and pick up any trash that we saw out there. I looked the whole time and couldn't find anything to clean up.

This course really is everything that you've heard about it.

If you are ever lucky enough to play the course, please take care to be respectful of the neighbors and clean up after yourself. I want a chance to play this one again!
Cons: Kelly's boomerang got stuck in a tree.
Other Thoughts: I just wish I lived closer to the course!

Flyboy varity is par none

2-4    4/17/2011   4/20/2011
Review By: rpetty1800
Pros: This course is amazing. The course sets nestled in a private aviation community. With beautiful landscape. The course diversity with its rolling elevation changes, Open let her rip holes, tight ally shots, extreme dog legs, lake shots, elevated baskets, and yes even a sunken basket. This course has it all.I don't think any player who has played this course could say it was not fun and challenging. There is a pro shop on site and, a bed a breakfast as well.
Cons: The only three i can think of is the pads can be slick when they are wet... However better than mud. Losing disc in the lake wait thats not the courses fault. Ok it is an hour and a half away from my house. wait again not courses fault. Ok so only one thing could be improved on. The other two requires me to be a better golfer and richer so I could buy a house in the community and play all the time...
Other Thoughts: This course is amazing however due to some disc golfers lack of respect to the homeowners who allows us to play this beautiful course. ON THEIR PROPERTY I might add ! Guys this is not public land. We are at risk of losing one of the finest course in the southeast.
If you do get a chance to play this course be on your best behavior. Don't leave trash pick it up even if it is not yours. Respect the community's right to exist over yours... I think a majority of our parents or elders taught us to be on our best behavior when we are guest some where... well ladies and gentlemen on this course we are guest. If you don't think you can do this simple task. Then do us all a favor and go somewhere else.

Wow, just wow...

2-4    4/17/2011   4/19/2011
Review By: bazkitcase5
Pros: I'm not sure you can reasonably expect much more than this out of a disc golf course. The beautiful scenery as well as the course design itself is amazing.

Every hole has nice rubber tee pads, surrounded by wood chips, nice tee signs, and benches. The course was nicely manicured and you could easily tell that a lot of work has been put into making this course something special. There were plenty of navigation signs and the flow was natural and intuitive. There is a little bit of walk between a few holes, but it is worth it just to enjoy the surroundings.

The shot variety is top notch. There is great use of the elevation change. Holes that are long and short, technical and open, with some legit par 4s and 5s included. The course was just flat out enjoyable to play.
Cons: There weren't any real cons for myself, per say, but I will list a few things other players should keep in mind. There are a lot of water hazards on this course and a player who does not have a lot of control over their shots could find themselves losing several discs.

It is a long round of disc golf if you play in a big group and can be especially taxing during Georgia summers, so come prepared. I have not had good experiences with rubber tee pads when they get wet, but I understand why they would not be able to use concrete.
Other Thoughts: I played this course before and during the 2011 Atlanta Open, so it is very possible that I saw this course at its very best, but I have every reason to believe that it is always this nice. Because of this, I did not get to experience all the extra amenities I've read about, so this review is on the course itself. This is quite simply, as close as disc golf should get to a manicured golf course, without actually being on a golf course. I look forward to getting back to play this course again.

A Unique Disc Golf Experience

1    3/22/2011   4/15/2011
Review By: bjreagh
Pros: Flyboy Aviation is truly a one-of-a-kind total disc golf experience. As soon as we stepped out of the car we were greeted by course- designer/host/guide Kelly… from above flying in his plane shouting greetings down to us! We approached the hangar decked out with plane and disc golf stuff as he landed on the runway in his backyard. He offered us refreshments, encouraged us to relax, and showed us the practice basket where we could warm up. After a while of practicing and chatting we finally got started. He offered us more to drink to take with us (big tip- take some, you will need it, I didn't and wished I had!) And then the epic journey began…

The course is made of 27 holes of all varieties. The course has long and short (par 5's to ace runs); open and wooded; up and down; left, straight, and right; and lots and lots of water. Every hole is unique and there are so many memorable "signature type" holes here. There are a lot of difficult holes here, but they are totally fair if you plan strategically and can execute the required shot. It was amazing to me the various types of terrain incorporated here as it essentially plays through everyone's "backyards".

Many people were upset about the change involving the removal of the runway hole, but it turns out that the course as a whole is constantly undergoing change in an effort to make it even better. Kelly sincerely asked us at the end of the round what we would do to improve it- which is cool that the designer is always looking for feedback and is willing to change things up if needed. In fact, there are baskets you see that you don't even play to because they used to be holes, but have since been replaced or redone.

When I finished my round after 6 hours and 100+ challenging shots, I was exhausted, but I loved every second of it and started thinking about when I could come back. This is not a course you would want to play everyday, but rather it is a great test of skill, endurance, and mental toughness.
Cons: The rubber tees were fine, but concrete is always better, but probably not going to happen because the land is not all his. Baskets were not uniform, but that can always be improved upon. Because of the recent redesign you don't make it back to the hangar until after hole #21, and by that time you are exhausted, hungry, and thirsty, and we took a nice break, but then only have 6 more holes to go. A better balance of "front" and "back" would be ideal.

My group lost a lot of discs here, but most water holes offer risk/reward and safer ways to play. You will want to try to conquer the water holes, so be sure to bring some throwaways and backup discs. (not really a con for me, but it could be for those who hate losing discs in water.)
Other Thoughts: Our group plays quicker than average, and I scoffed at the suggestion to allow 5-6 hours to play, and I was totally wrong. The course is spread out and every shot is demanding physically and mentally. Be sure to carry snacks and lots to drink. There is no charge to play anymore, but you will want to drop a few dollars in the donation box on your way out. Also, you must set up a tee time and be guided around to play here now. Kelly's main goal is to have this as a complete disc golf vacation destination where you sleep and eat on site, play lots of disc golf, and do whatever else to relax and have a good time.

Kelly is obviously financially sound and he is friends with many of the big names in disc golf, however, he treated us (just 4 average guys who just like to play disc golf) as honored guests even when we struggled at times to find the fairways. I would like to come back and stay in the "bed and breakfast" which is really more of a luxurious man-cave in the loft of the hangar. I hear the food here is awesome, and much of it is homegrown in season. The attention to detail and the generous hospitality are all bonuses to what is a superb course.

All avid disc golfers need to make plans to play here at least once.

Southern Hospitality at it's finest

1    3/8/2011   3/9/2011
Review By: culinarywiz
Pros: Balanced and diverse

Varying lengths - from ace runs to 960ft bombs

Great elevation - even mix of up and down shots

Solid mix of right/left/strait shots

Many water holes

Absolutely no random fairways - all clear and well defined

Meticulously manicured and maintained

Challenging but not frustrating

All desired amenities present - pads with brooms, benches, detailed layout signage
Cons: Rubber pads were often short and not always level.

Baskets were mixed. However, the only spit out came from an Innova Chainstar.
Other Thoughts: This was an easy 5 for me.

I got there about 15 mins before Kelly, the owner. I strolled around taking in the bunk house next to his hanger. It sleeps three with restroom included. The hanger itself is layed out with a HiDef projector with a line of seats in front of a pool table with a sick amount of model planes. Out back was a putting basket and even a pin on the pinnacle of the hangar roof. Later I got a tour of the entire bed and breakfast. There are multiple sleeping quarters inside, all very well laid out. One with a roll-in-wall bed and one with 3 full beds.

Once Kelly arrives, we head into the pro shop. He informs me that only he and Brad (his golf pro and good buddy) can escort golfers on the course. There is no unescorted play allowed. Unfortunately, previous folks had not shown the proper respect for the land and neighbors. We chill 'till Brad and Bill show. Then head to hole 1.

I will not bore anyone with wordy hole by hole breakdowns but I must underline BALANCE. This course is loaded with signature holes. Also, the course is continually evolving. This team is constantly working on it. They took time on pretty much every hole to detail something as we played.

For every bomb shot there was a technical compliment. There were zero throw away holes. Many of the courses I have played, with this type of overall length, lack good ace runs - not here. We ran at a few pins. I often feel I have a slight advantage on courses being a lefty - not here. I used every mold in my bag. I needed long and short turns as well as darts, sweeping hyzers and flex shots.

This is key - There is a lot of water and OB. You need to lay your shots well. My group lost at least 3 discs in the ponds. Bring extra plastic!

The hospitality and overall experience was second to none. Two great examples - Kelly's mom prepared us lunch. We came in after hole 21 and she had delicious warm ham and cheese sandwiches wrapped in foil to keep 'em hot with chips, apples and soda. We also had a joiner who played the last half of the 27 holes with us. Perhaps you've heard of him, Phil Arthur. It was a pleasure gettin' in some play time with the 2009 Masters World Champion.

This is a must play. You will create more than just memories...you will create relationships.

Top 5 Course

5+    12/11/2010   12/11/2010
Review By: GT Chris
Pros: The whole experience of Flyboy most definitely helps makes it such a great disc golf destination. The course itself has plenty of variety. There are short and long holes, open, wooded and mixed holes, left-to-right, right-to-left, and straight holes, and every permutation of those characteristics is covered at least once. I don't want to harp too much on the course layout itself though; I love it, and most of these other reviews cover it pretty well.

What I love in particular is that the course offers a genuine challenge every time. I am a huge fan of true par 4s and 5s; holes that in general require some thought to play. Almost all of these longer holes offer a choice of landing zones, lending to a more than a few different ways to play them. Smart golfers are challenged to choose whichever of those ways will best match their strengths and then execute. Scoring a birdie isn't always about who can throw the farthest drive, but about who can place their drive in such a way as to give them a birdie opportunity on the second or third shot. In this way the course doesn't favor any particular type of golfer (long arms vs. good putters, leftys vs. righties), but instead favors golfers who know their own abilities and know how to play within them.

This mental challenge is something that more courses need to incorporate, and combines beautifully with the physical demands of 27 holes at Flyboy.
Cons: There could a couple nit-picky things I could say here, but they all stem from personal preferences and can not really count against the course.
Other Thoughts: Most importantly, be respectful. Tone down the language, don't litter (not even cigarette butts), and just generally be polite. You're in a very nice private neighborhood and should behave accordingly. Kelly and his family are some of the nicest people in the world, so be sure to thank them.

And if you play here and fall in love, let that love find its way to the donation box. Any and all donations goes straight back into the course, so chip in.

REDESIGN....ed

1    12/6/2010   12/9/2010
Review By: Bakenstine
Pros: World Class setup!
-Great use of property and maximized use of terrain.
-Plenty of distance, and plenty of short, tricky par 3s.
-Alternate pins/CTP shots to keep things interesting.
-Plenty of challenges, but risk/reward shots here are intense to put it mildly.
-Buried basket. Raised baskets. INSANE!
-Fantastic scenery and amazing to see planes take off during a drive. Well worth the noise to see such a display of aerial mastery during a round.
- I cannot overstate the hospitality and welcoming atmosphere, vibe, and actions of these hosts.
-Friendly hounds that actually LISTEN to "No" as they go for your disc. Sometimes the small things are the nicest details.
-The lakes, woods, fairways and runways are shockingly awe inspiring. Every turn is a bend through a magical experience (not exaggerating one bit).
Cons: Well, this is where the review gets hard for me. This was my first time ever to make it to this premium course, after years of sitting on the to-do list. It was my fault for not going sooner, and perhaps a really windy, cold December day was not the best time to go.

Regardless.... keep in mind, this is a review of ONLY the front 18 holes of the NEW setup here at Flyboy as of fairly recently apparently:

#1 Complaint: The REMOVAL of the LONGEST HOLE IN THE WORLD (UNIVERSE)... I understand the problem of having disc golfers run around on an active runway. I am totally sympathetic to the owners need to keep safety the main priority. That said, I was really looking forward to playing this hole. Now for the detailed reason it is hard to say that: I was told on the phone setting up my tee time that it would not be in play (I knew ahead of time, its not like I was rudely suprised). The new course guide is in the works, so I recieved an amendment sheet to go with the old guide, which states that the Longest hole CAN be played during events if a 'full-time runway moniter' is on duty with a 'golf cart, red/green flags, hand-held radio and whistle.' With all of those rules, I was still told that if we were careful, we could just play it since the transition was still underway. We were a little beaten down by the weather and it just felt a little better sticking to the new set of rules as it was our first time there. This complaint is not meant to be me whining about the removal of this legendary hole, but merely a way to let newcomers know what the deal is about to be. I will just be even more determined to play this course during some kind of tourney so that I know I can take on 1600 feet of raw runway power.
-The new setup was kind of difficult to navigate when seeing other baskets moved to seemingly random spots (between 7's pad and pin, off to the right of 13's pad, left in the woods on new 16/old 15)
-Perhaps another couple trashcans would be helpful
-Personally I love rubber pads and I really like the movable nature of these baskets, but 1/2 of my group felt differently so I guess, like most other people reviewing Flyboy, they fall under Con
-Loosing discs due to my own inability to set up shots near these tricky lakes.
Other Thoughts: I NEED TO GO BACK! To play the back back 9 (which would probably make me give this course a 5.0 according to the pictures). To play the longest hole in the world. To buy some of the premium plastic in the pro shop. To stop in and get lunch after 18 next time. To thank Kelly in person for his wonderful setup. If you haven't played here before, go ASAP, you won't regret a second of the drive after you're done. You will feel like you've cheated the owners for ONLY paying $5 greens fee. Take it from me and every other reviewer on this site: Theres a DAMgood reason this course is ranked 3rd in the world on the Homepage