Course Extinct
Whitesburg, GA
Flyboy Aviation Share
Uploaded By: craigd Hole #18 (Taken 8/2010)
Hole # 18 Basket: After 1550' or so you turn left to the basket facing the hanger.

Flyboy Aviation

2-4    12/4/2010   12/8/2010
Review By: joswald
Pros:
First off, I can't say enough about the hospitality from Kelly, his parents, Chris and Phil. Thanks to all. Everything about the course, the bed and breakfast and the hospitality is first class.
This course starts and ends the first 18 at the Flyboy Aviation hanger-which is about the time you would be thinking of breaking for lunch. The final nine start and finish the same way. This course flows smoothly with no two holes that are the same and several 'real' water holes that will take your disc if your game is a little off…it has three of mine. It has rubber tee pads, a variety or baskets, benches or chairs at almost every hole, plenty of elevation changes, well groomed fairways and awesome overall beauty. The only thing that I would change is add more holes…and I'm sure that will happen.
With plenty of par 4's, 5's and not so easy par 3', it is obvious that a lot of meticulous care and time have been put into designing the course and in my opinion, will be hosting a NT tournament in the near future.
This course represents the future of disc golf and It was a privilege to play and I can't wait to get back there.
Cons: I wish it was in Cincinnati.
The only things missing are an ATM machine and a masseuse waiting on you when you get done with the round.
Other Thoughts: My favorite holes:
#25…375 feet to get over the water or lay up-yeah baby!
#27…a tight S-curving 700 footer with bushes and a runway o.b.

If you have a big arm and can control it , the difficulty factor is about the same as Idlewild.

We'll leave the light on for you.

2-4    12/3/2010   12/8/2010
Review By: Fred Salaz
Pros: Three of us drove down to flyboy aviation last weekend from Cincinnati. We contacted Kelly to get permission and headed out. Kelly wasn't going to be there but he said he would make sure the bed and breakfast was available and that he would leave the light on for us.
The motel 6 slogan was blown away by the hospitality that we had all weekend at Flyboy. Kelly's mom and dad were very friendly and helpful. The bed and breakfast, hangar and pro shop were all first class. The weather was great(it was snowing in Cincinnati).
So we get there at 3 am, get up around 9, grab some breakfast and head out to the course. We were all very excited and ready to throw some plastic. Kelly had Chris(a local disc golfer) meet us and show us the course. Needless to say we were feeling pretty special, kind of like tourists.

The course was well designed, beautiful to look at and fun to play. With lots of water, par 4's, par 5's and several par 3's. #18 is a par 7 1600 footer that goes up the runway to the Flyboy hangar. You would think that 1600 feet of wide open fairway would be boring, na baby na. With the runway lights as the ob lines it makes it very challenging and fun. My best score on 18 was a 9(I was working on my roller).
Saturday, Phil Arthur played with us and showed us how the course is meant to be played. He asked for our input but we decided that we wouldn't change anything, it's a blast playing it the way it is now. I can see why his game has picked up a notch since he's been playing at Flyboy regularly. It was fun watching him throw.
We were planning on going to Flyboy then heading up to IDGC and play there but we ended up staying at Flyboy all weekend. We'll hit up IDGC and Charlotte next time.

I'm sorry to say that I liked it better than Idlewild and I helped design Idlewild. It has the fun factor that Idlewild doesn't.
Thanks Kelly for a great time. We'll be back… Soon
Cons: Nothing that I can think of because I know it's only going to get better.
Other Thoughts: Bring extra discs, I lost 5 in the water holes(bad disc selections).

dragon18

1    11/17/2010   12/1/2010
Review By: dragon18
Pros: I have played close to 200 courses over the years. I have won a national championship along the way and have designed or help to design 15 + courses. I say this to say that I've been around a while and have played a lot of golf. In my opinion the course at Fly Boy Aviation has hit the nail on the head. You here the hype about new courses all the time, but the course seldom delivers in such a way as Fly Boy. It exceeds the hype.This course was meticulously laid out with no and I mean no filler holes. The course has some old school, woodsy charm with the new wave of Par 4+ holes. A big lake comes into play on several holes as well as lots of elevation shots and risk/ reward abounds. Idlewild in Cincinnati was my favorite big course for years, but as Alison Krauss so aptly put it, " I've got a new favorite."
Cons: Needs a little more signage for direction.

Best Course in Georgia

5+    11/4/2010   11/30/2010
Review By: Autiger1291
Pros: You really can't say enough about this course. It requires shots of all sorts and includes many unique holes that really have molded its own reputation. Hole 3 is generally considered the signature hole of Georgia and for good reason. The 1600 foot runway hole is probably the signature hold for the course however. On a different note, Kelly is an incredible host along with his parents. The work he puts into the course is incredible. He keeps all of the fairways manicured consistently. Other unique holes include the raised basket on the twisted tree and the ace run into the ground level basket.
Cons: There are a few cons, but they don't take anything away from this incredible course. They are just a few things that could be improved. Some of the baskets are single chained, but it does not make that big of difference. Also the tee pads are rubber which really work well; however, I have not played this course in the rain.
Other Thoughts: All aside this course is a must play. As soon as you pull in the drive and see the huge Flyboy Aviation mural on the hanger you know you are in for something special. Also a big arm helps, but don't be discouraged if you can't throw far. Huge variety of holes in an awesome course.

Amazing.

1    11/26/2010   11/27/2010
Review By: Connor Jones
This review was updated on 9/7/2011
Pros: Where to begin..there are so many things that are just THERE with this course,from the instant we got out of the car,you knew there was something magical about to happen,we walked into the pro shop,and were greeted by Kelly's father,who talked to us for a bit,and was extremely kind,but i think we were all slightly antsy and we had to get to the first tee.

When you step up to the first tee,it is a solid hole,nothing to write home about,but it gets you feeling pretty confident,i took a par and was pleased and excited for the rest.

The second hole was a very fun downhill shot into a nestling of trees in the woods,but still nothing overly exciting.

Well,anything you have learned about this course you completely forget when you step up to the third tee,you instantly see why this place is special,an amazing par five,that takes great shotmaking if you want the birdie,or maybe slightly more conservative for par,450 feet from the tee to the first shore,then a 250 foot crossing,laying up is a tough choice to make,but if you don't you could lose your perfectly seasoned echo star wraith,like i did.

Now I could go on and describe every hole,but I would be here for quite a while,needless to say,this course is great,and it does not EVER get boring,there is a perfect blend of challenging par 3's,lengthy par five's,and perfectly placed 4's,a large variety of elevation changes also make for a perfect change of pace from hole-to-hole.

A few more random things,Kelly has changed 14-18 unless you are playing with Kelly,or a guide,which means no runway hole which is clearly the signature hole of the course(Unless as i previously stated,you are with a guide.) This was due to some people cutting it a little too close with the airplanes i would imagine,but do NOT let this deter you from coming,it is still amazing!
Cons: There is one thing that ALMOST keeps me from giving this a five,that is the rubber teepads,we played after a light rain,with a slight drizzle throughout the day.

Not only does the material of the teepads get slightly frustrating at some points,but also the length is pretty varied throughout the course.

Some people complain about single set of chains on some of the baskets,but i don't really see it as a bad thing,sure there are better catchers,but you just get so lost in the course the first time,your score doesn't even seem like that big of a deal.
Other Thoughts: To cap this off,there is truly one thing that sets this apart.

I haven't played a lot of the bigger courses out there,in fact,i've only played four,including flyboy now,but i feel like i would have a difficult time finding anybody nicer than the people that allow us to play,I had to call Kelly three times or so because the directions we had printed out did not help,and he kindly instructed us on how to get there,even after i annoyed him multiple times,I am sure,his parents were both extremely kind,and the land is absolutely beautiful.

Make sure you get a chance to play here,I can certainly say that I will be back here on a regular basis,and that's with an hour and a half drive,so no excuses if you're within the area!

EDIT; Also,I should add,a lot of people say this is not a beginner course,well I will agree to an extent,yes,this course is EXTREMELY challenging at points,but do not stop yourself from coming,i've been playing five months,and I shot a +11 thru the first 18,and then kind of stopped keeping score,I'm not saying that's a GREAT score,but for my first time out here it's not bad! You'll still enjoy yourself regardless of skill level!

3/7/11: Just got back from a day trip,this one was so much better than the first.

Today Kelly led us through and we played some of the newer layout with a lot of oldies(but goodies) still around,and it was amazing. This time I truly understand what people are saying about him,he's a great guy,he had just gotten back on little to no sleep for the past couple days,and still was gracious,and after the first 18,his mom even brought us out some hot dogs and cokes,it was an awesome trip,definitely have to get back and continue to redeem myself!

As good as it gets in Disc Golf

5+    11/7/2010   11/25/2010
Review By: Redneck Machismo
Pros: This course represents what disc golf should be. It provides an extreme challenge of all of a disc golfer's skills in a picturesque setting with no need for gimmicky artificial out of bounds. The tract is made up of par 4's and 5's that are well thought out providing "real" risk-reward. The term "risk-reward" is often used in disc golf but virtually no one has any idea what it really means. Fortunately the designer here does. Some of the risk-reward holes are evidenced by water carries that must be managed in correspondence
with the wind and one's ability level. In addition the layout features multiple challenging par 3's that require good shot making and are certainly not automatic. While this is a long course length does not necessarily give one that much of an advantage if any. A premium is placed on shot making and "real" course management as well as wind play often times. This is not a throw and hope course filled with silly woods shots that are completely luck or holes where you are forced to throw a putter off the tee to a 90 degree turn in a forsaken forest and call it "risk reward." No, this is real disc golf and only the best players will rise to the top in this environment.
Cons: I personally think the course would be better overall if it were 18 holes instead of 27. I also think the pars on some holes should be adjusted and get rid of the stupid buried basket.
Other Thoughts: With the horrendous courses that disc golfers often classify as the "best" like the Charlotte courses, Paw Paw and Maple Hill I really don't know if the average disc golfer will even like this course, it is too good! In light of this it amazes me that it is so good. Typically if a disc golfer would be given property like this we would end up with a bunch of luck tunnel shots and some open 300 foot holes. What makes the difference? The designer here is a great guy but not a high level player yet he can figure it out when so many others can't even come close. Course design, as agreed with by a multiple time world champion, is going backwards as a whole. Why is that? I think the desire to be cute and a lack of a golf background overwhelms any thought of what makes sense and what is fair. A good course designer does not need to be a 1000 rated player or a rocket scientist but instead just to heed common sense on a level above that of a failing preschooler. If the land you have is not congruent with disc golf, like the IDGC and most of the Charlotte courses, do not build a course. This hurts the game more than anything. If you do have good land take your time and be open to changes before anything is set in stone. The Flyboy course goes to show you that bad courses are just not necessary. Thank God!

Mesmerizing!

2-4    11/3/2010   11/19/2010
Review By: Innova103
Pros: When you come upon this course that you've been hearing of, You're anxious to see what you are about to endure. You are certainly in for a lifetime experience! From the hangar and the airplanes and all of the scenery its just so hard to take it all in!

Once you're on the course, you just get mesmerized by how stunning the course is. It is very unique, but it also requires all the shots you can think of to score well too. Open Shots, Water shots, Wooded shots, Short holes, Risk/ Reward holes. It goes on and on and on...
Cons: Although there are not level concrete pads, you use rubber pads its really not even a con in my book. For other players, maybe so.
Other Thoughts: Kelly and everyone around the area are truly the nicest people I have come across. True southern hospitality!!! They will take good care of you out there. Definitely the best 5 dollars I have ever spent! Do yourself a favor and get out to Flyboy. You will for sure Love this course!

A must-play course

1    11/7/2010   11/12/2010
Review By: ghankins
Pros: Breathtaking views and a fantastic layout. Excellent mix of long workout holes to short technical ones. Incredibly well manicured and maintained.
Cons: Rubber tees and single chain baskets. I'm sure both will be replaced in the near future.
Other Thoughts: Kelly and his family were incredibly gracious hosts and we could not have asked for a better weekend.

Blip on your radar!

2-4    10/16/2010   11/11/2010
Review By: Mr Mirth
Pros: Flyboy Aviation is a premiere championship course in the making, challenging every aspect of your game with varied terrain, distance, elevation, water and obstacle. Often technical, most types of throws are needed to negotiate a wide variety of shots: left, right, open, tunnels, mixed, water hazards. Some excellent pin placements and shot shapes, particularly those near water (3, 4, 6, 9, 15, 25), present terrific risk / reward; a few shots as well lure you with their distance when perhaps a shorter more calculated flight could serve you better. The rubber tees and accurate signs serve their purpose while the benches and baskets are quite good. The CTP dock shot after #9 is fun and does well for the walk between holes 9 and 10(throw something you could do without for 5 holes unless you want a much longer walk to 10!). Flyboy certainly demands a good mental game and course management, requiring its flyers to deliver both bombs and short strafing runs, accurately. Most holes are picturesque with the unique 1600' runway being the Signature Hole; #3 gets my vote though. There's a good flow to the layout, easily followed while seamlessly winding through the community as well the adjacent woods.
All the amenities are here and golfers will want for nothing; Pro shop, hangout, B&B, showers, lunch service, etc.The hospitality and welcoming attitude of the community is top notch with the hangar-clubhouse providing a most unique epicenter for it all.
Cons: Since the course is still somewhat in flux, with potential changes ahead, the rubber tees and laminated signs are sufficient, but once the layout is finalized concrete tees and better signage should be installed. Most holes are away from the homes but several feel rather invasive: 20, 21, 25(one of my favorites!), and 27. Having to wait for landings and takeoffs between shots along #18 (10mins or more) can be a detriment.
Other Thoughts: Flyboy Aviation is no doubt a disc golf experience unlike any other, set in a well-manicured airpark community you get a unique "country club" feel, and it's all about flight - a destination every serious golfer should have on his/her radar. Pro or Con this course is not beginner friendly; one should be practiced and ready for a top tier pro level challenge.
Blip!

This is a must play for every disc golfer

1    11/9/2010   11/9/2010
Review By: rob00114
Pros: Everything basically. Great layout, very easy to navigate, lots a tricky holes,
Cons: baskets... lots of different ones... but only a single chains
Other Thoughts: Best Course by far i have played on my road trip... i know have 2 favorite course this and Flip City... The experiences i had both on and off the course will never be forgotten.. Planes taking off and landing(even a helicopter) Would like to thank Kelly and his family for allowing me to visit... This course is a must to every disc golfer... Thanks again Kelly and i will be back