Hanover, PA
Hole #17 Pro Tee

Beautiful and Challenging

1    7/31/2010   8/1/2010
Review By: r3VOLution
Pros: Challenging course mostly in the woods around Codorus State Park.
Cons: Not always clear were the next hole was. (Even with a map.)
Other Thoughts: I would have preferred to play the more open Red Course first. The Blue Course is more technical with shorter holes. Very nice none the less.

Blue Ribbon for the Blue Course!

1    6/10/2010   6/11/2010
Review By: jblough
Pros: What a fun place to play disc golf! I thoroughly enjoyed myself here, as I especially enjoyed the fact that the immense challenge of navigating the tightly wooded holes is balanced with some nice risk/reward ace runs! #12 comes to mind as a great ace race hole.

This place is definitely very pretty -- especially for such a wooded and technical course. I love how the trees just pop up out of the lush greens on the fairways. Underbrush is virtually nonexistent on many holes. The trees aren't foreboding hardwoods like on other wooded courses; they're just big and scraggly enough to attract your disk and send it in a different direction!

- Finding the course isn't tough at all (it's right off PA-216) and the navigation of the course layout is very intuitive.

- Clearly a dedicated and resourceful disc golf community maintains the course. It's evident from the teepads, signage, disc kiosk, and upkeep of all other elements on the course. Locals are very friendly and happy to see people visiting from so far away (~3 hours in my case). Parking is also ample for both courses.

- Nice mix of pro, amateur, and rec tees that would satisfy people from Climo to a family new to the game.

- The design of the course requires a lot of thought and execution on the holes. Doglegs, uphill shots with tree obstacles, blind downhill drives, and tightly wooded fairways are just some of the things you can expect here. Make sure to bring all of your trick shots with you!

- #5 and 6 are the best holes IMO on the course. The former is a long blind drive downhill with a nice vista of the lake -- nothing too fancy but a great chance to air out your disc on a predominantly wooded course. The latter is an uphill drive with tons of tiny trees peppered throughout the fairway. A fantastic hole for rollers!

- Feels more like a disc golf course than a state park. That is, the course is so serene and natural that the picnic benches, walkways, and other objects do not detract from a nice round.
Cons: The place can get very crowded. I played late in the morning on a weekday and there will teams, duos, and people navigating the course -- to the point where you experience gridlock.

- The course is almost too wooded. Especially on the back nine, it seems like the holes begin to repeat themselves a little bit. I wish some of the red course holes were in the blue one and vise versa. This place would easily be a 4.5 or 5 with a water hazard and a couple open-air bomb shots.

- Some holes play dangerously close to the road. I almost hyzered my first drive onto the road -- an errant throw that was mostly my fault, but the risk of hitting a car is always there.

- The extra 9 holes (CC or XX or whatever they are)
can be difficult to find at first, although it's worth it one you do find them!

Other Thoughts: Excluding Tyler, of course, this is the best PA state park course I've played to date. I've been waiting to play here quite some time now, and it was definitely worth the long drive. Make a day out of it like I did and bring a lunch to enjoy between courses! Make sure to check out the other amenities and recreation opportunist at Codorus while you're here!

The 9 X-holes

2-4    4/11/2010   5/28/2010
Review By: DannyS
Pros: This is close to true par 4 golf. You will not reach the green with your drive on most of the holes. There is nice elevation change. The setting is great ... the fairways are beautifully defined with majestic trees. One of the best 9 hole layouts you will find.
Cons: No water comes into play. No worries ... there is plenty of water on the other courses.
Other Thoughts: This rating is for the X-holes only. They seem like a different course than the original 18 blue course holes. I would vote to have them listed as a separate 9 hole course.

Good Variety

1    5/4/2010   5/4/2010
Review By: Zaminski
Pros: Awesome mix of various holes and elevation. My favorite course at Codorus. First few holes are fun to try and birdie. Good mix of dog legs and plenty of trees on the fairly open fairways to really challenge your ability to shape a line. The CC holes on this course are also my favorite of this course. I am still pretty new to the game, and they force me to learn to finese my throws instead of just wing it and hope I don't hit a tree.
Cons: No clear markings to next hole, first few times I missed a few holes. Once you know the course it isnt bad, the arrows on the pins are often turned in the wrong direction so you can not rely on them. Usually there is a clear pathway that lead to the next hole, but def. near a map or a local guide if its your first time playing.
Other Thoughts: With 54 holes plus a 9 hole mini course it is worth a long drive to play the day or even two. Some holes will give you headaches, but once you start getting lower scores and beating those holes you can't beat the feeling. Hole 6 comes to mind, After playing here almost a year I finally made my first 5 on this par 3.

A fun course

1    7/14/2009   4/3/2010
Review By: JDaley522
Pros: Some challenging tee shots. One of the nicest courses I've ever played. Well maintained.
Cons: Couldn't say a bad thing about it
Other Thoughts: I played in the early AM during a soft rain, which led to a some slippery footing, but still had a great time.

This course is a must!

1    9/1/2009   3/24/2010
Review By: NurseRandy
Pros: Beautifully maintained course with stunning views and scenic holes. Bathrooms on course and a proshop with drinks and snacks nearby (parking lot by lake). Nice variety of shots and elevations. Well marked holes and nice baskets.
Cons: I can't really think of any improvements that could be made to this course. I would have given it 5 discs, but i've only played about a dozen courses and would need more experiance before I labeled a course "Perfect".
Other Thoughts: This is by far my favorite course. I highly recommend anyone who has not played it drop by one day and see for yourself.

What a great course!

5+    1/13/2010   3/14/2010
Review By: sidewinder22
Pros: 27 great holes through mostly woods, nice baskets, two flypad tees, excellent variety of shots, elevation changes, risk/reward shots, couple ace runs, X-holes add a bit more challenge. Bathrooms. Well maintained course. Most scenic views of any course around.
Cons: Lacks sinage, only one pin placement, flypads not all level and slippery when wet, can be confusing navigating.
Other Thoughts: This is my favorite of the two courses and as a whole one of my favorite places! Just a peaceful and scenic place to play some awesome 54 holes of disc golf!

Disc Golf Mecca

5+    12/13/2009   12/15/2009
Review By: freighttrain
This review was updated on 8/5/2014
Pros: Codorus Blue has a great range in hole layouts from distance to elevation changes. The park maitainence and volunteers help to keep the course and park looking great. Definitely my favorite side of the two codorus 27 layouts. Plenty of options with three tee pads.
Cons: Rubber tee pads, that when are wet are great if you want to slip and break something. I've slipped numerous times yet i still keep coming. Be careful and take relief from the pad.
Other Thoughts: With a good club and good volunteers Codorus could become the disc golf mecca it should be. Seriously 54 holes in one area with multiple tee shots and various safari layouts/20 hole tourney layout.

My most frequented course these days

5+    7/23/2009   8/7/2009
Review By: GroundHog
Pros: Shady alternative to the Red course on sunny days. Well-maintained. Convenient for Carroll County, Marylanders. New pads are top-notch for footing! Arrows under baskets are helpful.
Cons: Can get puddly in some spots after heavy rain periods.
Other Thoughts: Thanks Stump! discgolfscene.com
Favorite hole: 5.

Poison Ivy Galore

2-4    7/10/2009   7/31/2009
Review By: dcleve
Pros: The course looked pretty.
Cons: I had last been here nearly a decade ago,and found the course unplayable, with all the poison ivy under nealry every tree. With all the work done, I hoped that had been fixed. Not so -- it is worse now. Nobody who is moderately to severely allergic should play this course.
Other Thoughts: I brought a gallon of roundup with me just in case, ans spent an hour and a half spraying what I think were holes 1 and 4. With 25 more holes to go, the problem was just to big for one person, however.