Layout Extinct

North Augusta, SC
Hippodrome Complex - Old Glory - Old Layout Share
Uploaded By: atl scott Hole #16 (Taken 11/2009)
Hole #16 Basket: Note the large basket!

1 2 Next >
 2010 National Collegiate Disc Golf Championships!!!

5+    4/18/2010   4/24/2010
Review By: Part-Time Ninja
Pros: This course has:
Great well maintained natural tee pads.
The course is extremely clean.
Great well thought out hole and pin placement
A few unique holes.
Lots of land.
Cons: I agree with the lack of bathrooms close by, I don't think natures calling is all that frowned upon.
That's really it.
Other Thoughts: The 2010 Collegiate tourney was amazing!!! The land was great. We got to camp here the whole weekend, they did a great job. Amazing golf by all the teams and players.
Do Play This Course If You Get The Chance!!!
Wonderful!!!!!

One of my favorites

5+    4/23/2010   4/23/2010
Review By: Mayo
Pros: Excellent course with multiple tees that change the course drastically. Very well maintained. Some of the best natural teepads I have ever played. A lot of the baskets are located on hillsides or are mounted high on the pole to make putting a challenge. Very quirky course with hanging baskets and even one buried basket. Seems gimmicky at first, but after multiple plays it seems that most of these features actually increase the challenge of the course, and add to the mental stress. Easy to tell that the course has been tweeked a lot by someone that thoroughly understands disc golf. Requires a lot of control and solid putting to shoot well here. Yellow OB rope on a few holes increase challenge significally. One of the most mentally demanding courses I have ever played.
Cons: No facilities nearby for water or restrooms. There was a port-o-potty there when I played, but I'm not sure if it is always there. Most of the baskets (if not all) are single chain. Judging by the rest of the course, this may be a deliberate choice, but would prefer a more modern chain pattern.
Other Thoughts: This is the site of the Collegiate Disc Golf Championships (ncdgu.com). If you ever get the opportunity to participate in this event, don't miss it.

Play This Course!!

1    3/14/2010   4/4/2010
Review By: FrolfHead
Pros: First off, I had very high hopes for this course and I was not disappointed at all, in fact it probably exceeded my expectations. Each hole has multiple tee's. I played the blues (middle), but from looking at the black (long) tee locations it was obvious they provided not just extra length but also extra obstacles that needed to be overcome and I assume that playing the black tees would have been like playing a different course. There were holes that were open and holes that were more wooded. Also a variety of shots were needed (for me anyway) and each hole seemed to present its own set of challenges, especially if you play all of the OB (which I didn't, HA!)

The baskets were all very nice and all were in good shape. There were no concrete tee pads which are usually a must have in my opinion, but there were so many other positives about the course after the first couple holes I didn't even notice their absence. The elevations changes throughout the course are not drastic, but come into play frequently and are used creatively.

Many courses seem to have 1 or 2 "signature" holes that are very memorable/unique to the course, but the Hip had about 6 or 7 holes that were very unique. 2 hanging holes, 1 in the ground, the fenced in hole, the hole on top of the red barrels, the hole on the hill, etc.

The course was fantastically maintained (probably a result of it being on privately owned land) with well defined fairways, mowed grass, and no overgrowth. It was obvious to me the whoever designed the course played disc golf and wanted a course that was not like all the rest. It was clear a lot of time, money and effort went into the development of this course.

One of the coolest/most fun courses I've played which is all you can really ask for. If you like DG you'll love this course.
Cons: No concrete tee pads, but they did have the nicest "natural" tees I've ever played.
Finding the next Tee was not always easy. My group off 3 got lost more than once and spent 20-30 minutes trying to find one of the tee pads.
No garbage cans or benches next to the tee pads which for some people is a must have, but I didn't mind one bit.
Other Thoughts: I also had the chance to play Riverveiw Park in North Agusta which is a great DG course in it's own right, but I personally felt the Hippodrome was on another level.
I know the course is on private land and is not always open but I am not sure of the schedule of when it is open or closed.
When I played there was a pretty stiff wind and I assume that is probably the norm.
After playing a pretty good selection of courses throughout the southeast this is definately one of my 2 or 3 favorites and I felt privileged to play there ( much like I felt at Bracketts Bluff in NC).
If you have the oppurtunity to play here DEFINATELY take it.

1    3/31/2010   3/31/2010
Review By: Justin L
Pros: Beautiful landscape, nice tight fairways with well marked OB. Some of the nicest natural tee pads I've ever seen.
Cons: Some repetition, after the 4th elevated basket the "neato" factor wears off. Hard to find holes without a map. Gimmick golf factor got old. Wouldn't want to play a tournament here.
Other Thoughts: If you're going to be a pay to play course then I expect a few things. One of them is a MAP to the course. I paid $5 to play your course, and was very disappointed that I had to walk around randomly to find the next hole. I actually never found hole 9, and I think I inadvertently skipped 13 or 14, but by that point I was so frustrated from looking that I didn't care. I'm going to try to hold back on that gripe affecting my rating, as the other raters have said that typically scorecards/maps are available. Maybe I just went to early in the season.

This course is on a fantastic piece of property, and could be a VERY solid course without all the gimmicks. I can tell that there is work still being done, fresh plantings, mowing, etc. The gimmick golf isn't necessary! </end rant>

It wasn't all bad, and was really very enjoyable, but if this course had more traditional baskets and continued to work on the landscaping along with adding concrete tee pads it would easily be a 4.5 to 5 star course. It has SO much potential!

A+ = Absolutely Awesome

5+    12/16/2006   11/30/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course (in tournament configuration) stacks up in my list of 18 hole courses:

1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == A+
(Most of this course keeps you on the edge of your seat. There are very few chances to let your guard down. I have only played the course in tournament conditions with the ropes/stakes out (really the only time the course is open) and the set up has teeth. Lots of holes have early trouble that will knock down errant throws and easily turn your birdie run into a bogey. In other places, if you go too long in an attempt to get in an ideal spot for a birdie, there is OB lurking to spank you for your errant throws. Excellent design in this regard.)

2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I'm a Blue level player who throws 300' accurately, 360' max. == A+
(While this course was set up for Gold level players who can out-throw me, the designers did not want to give a huge advantage to the big arms. Yes, they have an advantage in many places, but in even more places consistent accuracy is rewarded. There are only 1-2 holes where I am disappointed when carding par. This course sets up well for me, a Blue player….and that shows as my highest rated tournament round was on this course.)

3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == A+
(There are some very unique uses of fairway shapes and terrain requiring you to be totally dialed in and committed to the throw and the route you have chosen. Quite a few of the holes have different and distinct paths to the basket - each with its own peril. There is no huge elevation, but the terrain that is there is used superbly. Again, another masterful job by the designers.)

4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == B-
(While there are spots on the course that are genuinely beautiful, most of the course is nothing outstanding due to a new highway that runs along side the course, a power line, and the general scruffiness of coastal shrubs and grasses and sandy soil. Seclusion is very nice for over half the course. It is a nice course, but if you are expecting a manicured feeling, you've come to the wrong place.)

5) Bonus points for multi-throw holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == B-
(Excellently designed! Between the obstacles and OB, you take your fate into your own hands when trying to get into perfect position to get up and down for your birdie. My only complaint is that there are not more of them.)
Other Thoughts: It's all about feeding the addiction, so I ranked this course subjectively based on my own "personal addiction factor". The grades above tell how well the course will draw me back to itself again and again and again. Since I have played a decent number of courses (149 18-hole, 91 9-hole as of late 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar addiction tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they choose courses to play and explore.

Extremely Fun and Challenging!!!

1    11/28/2009   11/30/2009
Review By: atl scott
This review was updated on 2/19/2012
Pros: Multiple tees (often 4 per hole) including incredibly challenging pro length
Creative design (elevated, hanging, and even buried baskets, use of camouflage netting/fencing to shape fairways and protect greens from errant shots)
Requires accuracy and length
A good mix of straight/hyzer/anhyzer
Cons: Grass teepads
Pay to play (It's definitely worth it, but I'm cheap!)
Other Thoughts: I have heard of the famed Hippodrome course for a couple of years now but always thought it was private or temporary at best. It is not mentioned in the PDGA course directory and until today was not mentioned here. The northaugustahippodrome.com site has no mention of the disc golf course. It has always been some sort of mystery to me. I was playing at Pendelton King in Augusta and asked a few locals about the course and they told me the low-down. It is open for play (at least when the horse facility is open). All you have to do is show up and pay in the drop box! This course is at a large equine/horse facility. I even saw some horses walking near/through the course at one point. I had heard about how cool and difficult this course was and when I pulled up to hole 1 I thought "this looks way too easy" as hole 1 is wide open (but is 385 from the black tees). This did not turn out to be the case though as soon enough you delve into the woods and are extremely challenged while still enjoying the round.

The grass teepads actually were quite nice and nothing like the dirt/mud ones at my local courses. They were quite flat and they were dry so I don't know how they would perform when rained on. I still definitely prefer concrete where possible.

Every woods hole challenged your concentration off the tee box and just about every hole required extraordinary putting skills as there were at least 5 elevated baskets, 2 hanging basket, 1 in a circular fence, 1 with trees within a couple feet of the basket, and several with severe rollaway opportunities or OB nearby.

Several of the open holes required some shape as in hole 17 with a mando that requires a sidearm or a huge anhyzer. There is definitely some OB present on the open holes as well that will keep you from relaxing too much.

The black course seems as though it was put in after the original course as many baskets end near the blue tees for the next hole and to play the blacks you have to walk 300' backwards sometimes just to tee off and immediately walk back. There may be a shorter way around as this was my first time playing here. I didn't have any trouble finding my way around though as there is a detailed map/scorecard at the paybox area. Without the map there would have been a few headscratching moments....

I played this course in ~5mph winds and I can see the open holes becoming much tougher in the wind, perhaps adding as much as 3-5 strokes to the SSA.

I was impressed with the use of different teepads to allow players of completely different levels of skill to have fun here. Even the short tees still require accuracy, they just take a significant amount of length off the holes. I noticed a set of purple stakes on most of the holes that I would guess averaged around 120'. The angles these were placed at still would require creativity and skill and basically is a par 2 putt putt course which would be fun to play or let young kids play from as you played longer tees.

Good scores can be had here as I had 4 birdies and 2 bogeys (one was a spit-through) and it was my first time playing the course.

My sister mentioned to me halfway through the round that it seemed like something I would create if I had the land to do it and I tend to agree. It was very difficult, very creative, and very fun. I think this is why I liked this course so much and would recommend it to anyone. I can't wait to go back and play all the tees!

1 2 Next >