Charlotte, NC
Elon Park - Angry Beaver Share
Uploaded By: DiscChucker Hole #15 (Taken 7/2010)
Hole #15 Approach

< Prev 1 2 3 4

2-4    7/24/2013   7/24/2014
Review By: JohtoVillage
Pros: This course is angry indeed! Here are my pros:

1) The variety on this course is astonishing. After the first three holes I found myself wondering, what's so angry about this course? I remember starting 2, 2, 2 and thinking this course was going to be EASY. I could not be more wrong. Its not everyday you play a course with a 158 foot par 3 and a few holes later play a BRUTAL 821 foot par 5. The variety of the distances on this course was off the charts.

2) Great baskets and great teepads. The tee signs were homemade but they did the trick.

3) Usage of water - I love courses that incorporate water hazards and Angry Beaver has a few holes where water comes into play. Hole 2 would be one of the easiest holes in Charlotte if not for the lake that is just long of the basket. A 158 foot hole is not hard but when you have a lake 20 feet past the pin that is screaming to engulf your disc you think twice about what to throw at the basket.

4) Hole 5 - this hole is just a treat. Its super challenging but fair. I love the twists and turns on this hole and it just screams UNIQUE. The area in front of the basket and to the right of the fairway near the green, if played as out of bounds, adds a whole new element to the hole.

5) One of these holes is not like the other - Hole 18! This hole is literally like nothing on the course. It is so different from everything else on the course that it makes it a great hole. Even though its a long, difficult hole with danger everywhere (deep woods right, creek left) it actually feels like a breath of fresh air after the wooded holes. This is a great hole with a great green that offers risk/reward shotmaking.
Cons: Here are my cons for Angry Beaver:

1) Hole 9 - unfortunately this hole is one of the few things wrong with this course. I don't like "forced" par 4's. To me a forced par 4 is a hole that looks like it should be a par 3 but then the designer does something to turn it into a par 4. Hole 9 has a very difficult, uphill tee shot to a tight landing area. That wasn't the biggest problem to me (though I hated the out of bounds on this hole). The biggest problem was the fact that the hole then dove more than 90 degrees to the left and kinda curled backwards into the woods just to turn the hole into a par 4. The hole unfortunately left a sour taste in my mouth because it could have been a decent par 3 with a different pin location. Its just one hole, though, so don't let it spoil the fun.

2) The back nine became a bit too repetitive for me. I am okay with wooded par 4's that have bending fairways but 11, 14, 15 and 16 all just roll together in my head. These holes struggled to have an identity in my mind that differentiated themselves from the other holes on the back nine. It just felt like I was throwing a 250 foot shot to a landing area and then watching the fairway bend one way or the other. I would have been okay with one or two of these holes but it felt like too much in my opinion.

3) Hole 8 - this isn't a huge con for me because it wasn't too bad but in my opinion this hole just had a little too much luck for me. I know they have it listed as a par 5 but I remember throwing a drive on this hole and it was not a good shot and it crashed through a lot of trees and ended up really good. I then remember throwing another drive a few days later on the same hole and thought I had thrown a perfect shot it and ended up out of bounds. Its just a finicky hole in my opinion.

4) I am not a huge fan of artificial OB. If I throw in the water then that's a penalty. But having areas on the course that are not hazards marked as out of bounds does bother me. I can understand mando areas being blocked off, etc, but I think a better design will allow that kind of stuff to be avoided.

5) I refuse to knock any course for being hard, unless its unfair. This is course is NOT unfair. However, this course is exhausting and not the funnest course to play. I don't think it was designed to be super fun but this course reminds me of Idlewild or Iron Hill (albeit on a lesser scale). Its a gold level course and is meant to be one of the more challenging courses out there. Don't expect to come play this course and smile. Expect to play this course and be drained. This course is not for the feint of heart. Charlotte has many options so if you want something easy walk 500 feet and play the Eager Beaver course.
Other Thoughts: This course holds up to its name very well. It is very angry! That doesn't mean this is a bad course. This is a very good course that really challenges a player. Once again, Charlotte proves itself to be the mecca of disc golf. I have truly never seen so many 3.5 to 4.0 disc golf courses in one area. Angry Beaver is one of the harder courses in the area and will challenge every part of your game -- especially your mental game!

NOTE: I will admit that if I could give this course a 3.75 I would give that rating to this course. I feel like its not a 4.0 course but is somewhere between a 3.5 and a 3.75.

Confusing!

5+    6/14/2014   3/31/2014
Review By: St. Benedisc
This review was updated on 6/15/2014
Pros: This course has some fun and challenging holes with great use of the natural topography and water features. Nice concrete tee pads and several well placed benches are a plus. Good mix of open and wooded shots. Lots of stepping stones and bridges over perennially wet spots.
Cons: I have yet to play a more confusing course than the state that this course is currently in. From hole 8 onwards, you will constantly wonder which hole you are actually on. Some additional signage would GREATLY help this situation.
Other Thoughts: Just finished "re-playing" this course after a 3 month hiatus and I was still confused from hole "8" onwards. Somebody please put up a sign at the basket of hole 7 that reads " Proceed to the tee-pad of "old hole 9" as it is now 8." I am assuming that all of this was done to lengthen other holes and I can appreciate that. I do wish, however, that a hole with a nice creek runnining the length of it would not have been chosen to be eliminated in order to make this change.

Soaked by the Angry Beaver

5+    3/27/2014   3/27/2014
Review By: cth0mps0n
Pros: This is my favorite course in the Charlotte area but first a disclaimer: I live next door to Elon so convenience has some bearing on my opinion. It's a very difficult course but is generally a fair challenge. I play it about 5 times per week and never get tired of it. Lots of variety from (a few) short birdie holes to several "just-get-me-outta-here-with-a-bogey" holes. Very heavily wooded- might want to leave the soft plastics in the trunk. A series of creeks wind through several holes along with several retention ponds. Moderate elevation changes but nothing of major consequence. It's long, no way around it. For a reasonably adept 4-some I would expect 2-3 hours to get around the loop. Multiple tees on numerous holes give you a lot of options for changing it up as desired. Trash cans, benches and the like are adequate and there are restrooms in two of the buildings at the park. One of the only courses that you won't hear people worried about their car being robbed! The adjacent short course is nice for a leisurely warm up or to lick your wounds after a rough day at the Angry Beaver. Great community of regular players, too!
Cons: The only hole I take issue with is #8. It's not that long for a par 5 but there is a creek that will make you question physics as it eats up every shot that isn't thrown perfectly. You can miss dead right and somehow go OB left. There are three 90+ degree turns on the hole with a sucker pin above another creek to finish you off. I've seen a lot of decent players take a 5-over par on this hole alone. A few holes demand identical shots even if the holes appear different to the eye. You'll need your anhyzers if you are a RHBH thower. The course can also be very, very muddy after a good rain.
Other Thoughts: It feels like you need raw distance here, but that is a mistake. This course will heavily penalize errant shots so focus on accuracy instead. Watch out for snakes in the warm months- there are a tons of them out here! Mostly harmless, of course, but will still scare you when you realize a copperhead or moccasin is at your feet!

a bit too angry

1    11/16/2013   12/2/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: It's tough. It's long. It's challenging. It's tight, woods golf in the Carolina tradition. The angry beaver will drag you down over eighteen holes and spit you out exhausted and beaten down.

There are some nice holes here, starting with 1, a downhill tunnel that forces an extremely straight throw to the pin.

There's a ton of variety with shots moving to either direction and a decent amount of elevation on many of the holes.

Also, if you like forced layups, this will be the best course you have ever played, because they are featured on most of the holes.
Cons: But hard does not not necessarily mean good and Angry Beaver is a good example why. While there are courses that are both challenging and excellent, this is an example of a course that was toughened up to make more difficult while ruining anything that was good about it.

A perfect example of this is what has happened to hole 8. The old 8 was probably the best hole on the course, with a long fairway over a meandering creek. It only needed a few trees removed on the approach to make an excellent signature hole. Instead, it was combined with hole 9(a bad hole with a too severe curve) to make the new 8. It's probably the worst hole I've ever played. It's shaped like a damn question mark. Unless your goal is to play courses shaped like sentences, I can't see you liking this change. It's harder, I guess, but only because it's a ridiculous hole in an artificial shape. This is an absolute disaster of a hole design which has warped the entire course in the name of difficulty.

There are an absurd amount of ninety degree turns here. The course encourages placement on drives, but only so that it can make the majority of drives a forced layup. I stopped counting the sharp turns on this course but none of them increase the fun here. It's a groanfest of sharp corners.

When the fairways don't require layups, they are typically overly long shots. This is evident in some of the new tees, where they are lengthened just for the sake of length. 5 is a good example of that. It's not a fun hole. It's just long.

Long can be good. But after a dozen holes of ugh, long is really bad. For a ton of people it will be a tiresome course full of holes that don't really make sense as disc golf holes.

The biggest problem is how much the course drags towards the end. The holes are long and there is little memorable about any of them. For the last last third of the course, I was more weary than excited. That is accentuated by the similarity between most of the holes and laying up to a ninety degree turn seventy feet down the fairway is extremely frustrating for the sixth time.
Other Thoughts: In many cities, I'd advise checking out the Angry Beaver. It has a lot of good qualities. But in Charlotte, there are a lot better uses of disc golf time.

Do what boss?

1    10/10/2013   10/18/2013
Review By: Rob Martin
Pros: Type of difficulty for some holes were unique such as:
Hole 1 - needed very controlled downhill slope shot.
2 - Blind basket, hyzer over briars, pond and slope away in 2 directions.
3 - Another blind hole, OB behind.
Tight, wooded remainder for most of the remainder of the course.
Cons: If the review is meant to be the *current* condition, this course frustrated the bleep out of me. It is in the middle of a redesin. Some of the new holes will be great, others - at this time - just didn't make sense.
Other Thoughts: In general, I'm not a lengthy essay reviewer. I submit a review primarily to balance a Course Rating if I believe it is skewed high or low to the 95+ courses, 15 states I've played so far. At the time of this review, the course was a 3.83 rating. I was disappointed in it.

5+    5/23/2013   5/23/2013
Review By: dndelli
Pros: This is one of, if not my favorite Disc Golf course. It is a very distinct course, that will not only challenge many players physically, but mentally as well. The course designers have managed to make great use of the environment of the park to give players an optimal level of challenging holes and levels of fun throughout the course. The first three holes are small par 3s that give players a chance to make their way under par before the true test begins. Don't let these holes fool you though. Hole 2 has an extremely quick green with a huge lake right behind it. Making it easy to skip off the basket and land in the drink. Playing a safe upshot is optimal. (I know this from experience.)

The rest of the park has a variety of wooded/open holes that make use of various types of OBs, including-but not limited to creeks and tall brush. Funky angles that open up into wider fairways as well as a great use of elevation change make this course great for technical players who thrive on throwing great lines with precision. The shortest hole on this course is hole 2 at 158 ft. Big arms will appreciate the long, open holes such as 5 and 18. At 814, hole 18 can be a beast requiring a great drive, to land where the fairway takes a hard turn to the right, and continues for another 300-400 ft.

Holes 5 and 15 were both given optional short tees that make a round of disc golf here much smoother, and much less frustrating.
Cons: Though a lot of the brush has been cleaned up to make losing your disc harder, that doesn't mean losing a disc hear would be hard. This course loves to devour discs, which can make a round extremely frustrating. Losing discs after a rainstorm becomes even easier, as the creeks will get going pretty fast, and will carry discs downstream if not chased after. I would have given this course a 4.5 if it didn't have such an insatiable appetite for poorly throw discs. (Be on top of your game when attempting to play.)

Another con for this course, is it is right next to the Elon Park short course (Eager Beaver) which means parking can become tight.
Other Thoughts: Elon Park is a great spot for a good Saturday of Disc Golf. With 2 different 18 Hole Courses, it is not only a park great for all levels of experience, but can be played back to back for a decent amount of Disc Golf. With the short course as a warm up, you can get yourself nice and ready for the Angry Beaver. And with major Water Hazards in play, and a lot of creeks creating nice out of bounds, this course can be an interesting experience right after a decent rainfall.

Favorite Holes: 2, 5, 8, 9, 18

My review

5+    2/10/2013   5/5/2013
Review By: johngrond
Pros: Long, sometimes tight, mostly wooded. This course has challenges for all! Accurate pars, IMHO. One of the tougher courses in the Charlotte Metro...
Cons: Multiple curves sometimes called for, which I, as a moderately skilled amateur, get beat up on. I can throw a hyzer flip with decent distance, but some of these holes require a pro arm to par. #5 in particular stands out for that. Again, this is just my opinion.
Other Thoughts: I truly enjoy this course. I don't score here nearly as well as I should, but I love it as much as any course in Charlotte.

Rain makes me angry

1    4/27/2013   4/27/2013
Review By: Bennybennybenny
Pros: -Great park with a gymnasium, place for fishing, game room, trail for walking, playground and TWO disc golf courses!
-This course at Elon seems to be worked on a little more than Eager Beaver because it has benches and trash cans unlike Eager Beaver.
-I like how this course gives you an opprotunity to score well on the first three holes, once you get to #4 you are like "This must be the hardest on the course." By the time you are on #5 you are thinking "How did this get here?!?!" Do not let the first three fool you because it gets tricky really fast.
-Great mix of holes here. It has elevation used pretty well, a few dropoffs, holes 200+ to 800'+, doglegs, and a few open holes but it's mostly wooded.
-A few short tees from worlds because some holes (particularly #5) can be a lot of trouble. I didn't mind playing the long tees though, I parred #4 but I did blow up on #5 because of terrible approach shots. The hole isn't so hard if you really throw hard.
-On this course, I have two favorite holes, #10 and #16. #10 is a straight downhill tunnel shot par 3 over the creek. Once you are over, the approach shot is pretty open. It says that it's 268' but it think it's about 305', it PLAYS maybe 268'. #16 is a slightly downhill dogleg left par 4. I threw a 320' hyzer and got an easy birdie even though I was in the woods, it's not bad if you are short on this hole, but it isn't pleasant if you overthrow. With that said, I think #2 is the most memorable along with #5.
#2 is an uphill 158' par 3 with the lake 5' behind the basket. I liked the design over the vegetation. It was a bit like #15 at South Mountain, except this hole isn't steep downhill. It's very easy to throw past the basket and land in the water just like an overthrow on #15 at South Mountain will get you in the DEEP woods. #5 was also memorable, it's the longest and toughest on the course close to the road. The big mound is close to it, some people wish the tee for #5 is on the mound.
-Very scenic walk in the woods. Very pretty course! It's VERY well maintained and very well taken care of. I enjoyed the beauty of this course, it's a pretty walk in a nice little forest. It was raining very hard when I played, I felt like I was in a conferous forest. A very pretty one.
-Water is used very nicely around the course. This may be a con for some people but I didn't mind it really.
-Both of the finishing holes end close to the first holes. On both courses. The first tees are both close to the parking lot. To get to the parking lot, just keep going past the white baskets (which are the baskets for this course.) and keep driving, just follow the road.
-At Winthrop University, it has two courses. It doesn't have teesigns that say which course you are playing. It doesn't have teesigns period. This place has teesigns that say angry beaver, and eager beaver on the teesigns so you know which course you are playing. The baskets are also different colors. The Eager Beaver baskets are yellow and the baskets on this course are white. The course kiosk is close to both first tees as well.
#18 was a great way to finish. It's an open dogleg right par 5. It was an easy par for me because I just threw three drives 250' and that left me with a short approach shot. It's long but if you throw decent drives down the fairway, you won't get worse than a bogey.
-Plenty of arrows pointing you to the next tee.
Cons: -When it rains, the fairway (or trail) leading to #3's basket is wet. Bring your old shoes and expect to get dirty because if your disc goes down #9's dropoff, you literally have to jump down six feet into the creek to get your disc. This course is VERY muddy. Do NOT play in the rain. I'm serious! I was extremely happy with my score of +10 in heavy rain. Discs will slip out of your hand and you could have a crappy shot. I had plenty of them.
-The vegetation on #3 is out of control! #2's didn't bug me because it's uphill so you can see the basket, plus it's very short. #3, you can't see the basket from the tee, I lost a cheetah on that hole. #3 wasn't a bad hole but the vegetation is horrible.
-The OB can bother you, a lot. This course has penalization written all over it. It wasn't the water that bugged me but this course has plenty of ropes that if you go past, you are penalized and some people won't like #9's island green rule. The teeshot is narrow and the trees cna give a nasty kick. If you go over the water, you are fine. I ignored the OB today because it was raining.
-#10's teepad is too small, so is #17's. Not the appropriate length for a teepad with holes almost 300'.
Other Thoughts: -I loved this course. It was very interesting and very scenic. I would have had a better score if it wasn't rainy today. I enjoyed this course anyway. Every hole is interesting in it's own way. This is the advanced level course at Elon but it's more forgiving than Nevin and Renaissance. It can still frustrate you. I got frustrated because of the rain which really bumped up my score.
-If you want an ace here, it can happen but at Eager Beaver, you have a bigger chance in an ace. #1-#3 can be aced and #13 could possibly be aced as well. #13 is an uphill ace run that goes into the woods. Some people think it messes with the flow of the course but it's a nice break from all the difficult holes you play is what I think about it.
-A warning here would be that OB isn't light. I lost two discs here. The course is scenic but you need to keep your eye on where the disc lands. Particularly #2 and #3. Those are the holes I lost discs on, and if you go into the water on #2, your disc is gone.
-This course doesn't really have a signature hole. Every hole here, you can either love it or hate it. Every hole will save you or hate you, #16 made me. #5 and #6 hated me. I double bogeyed them both.
-I loved this course! It's easy to navigate, it's pretty, the holes are all fair. None of the holes here are unfair, none of them. Some of them are very tough but none of them are really over the top for me. The OB may be irritating at time but none of the holes should really make you furious. The rain did though.
-Tell me if you want to know more.

Angry Beaver

1    11/23/2012   11/23/2012
Review By: tsaksa13
Pros: The course has a very nice layout. Some short technical shots and some open long shots. Big range of hole lengths from 200 ft to 800 ft. The stream is OB for some holes makes it a bit harder. The course was very clean and clearly marked from hole to hole.
Cons: The retention pond on hole 5 can be a loss of a disc so be careful where you throw.
Other Thoughts: One of the best courses I've played from difficulty to cleanliness to layout.

Great course

2-4    7/16/2012   10/16/2012
Review By: steven2361
Pros: Disclaimer: I only played the worlds layout.

There are solid concrete tees here and sometimes long tees. I love how the course starts with three birdie holes and then begins to get difficult. It's great that the first three holes are all treacherous greens. Even though they are short, they are not gimmies. Hole 4 is a great forced straight shot with ob on either side of the fairway. Hole 6 is a demanding placement par 4 that is very tough to stay clean on the skinny fairway. 7 is a solid dogleg right par 3. 8 is a good par 4. Even though the hole is only 380' a 3 does feel like a birdie here. Off the tee there are two defined gaps split by a large tree. Anywhere left or ricocheted left here will be OB. It is a tight twisty fairway and at the green there is more OB behind the basket. Hole 9 has a unique shaped fairway. It is a left turning horseshoe that goes up and back down. The drive plays up and over OB making it like an island hole. Again, you will need a gut check as you decide whether to run your putt or not. Hole 10 is a good downhill, tight, tunnel shot. Hole 11 is a great dogleg right par 4. Hole 12 is tight and doglegs left but has a tricky angle to it. Hole 13 is a solid uphill hole. Hole 15 is solid left turning par 3. Hole 16 is solid left turning par 4. 18 is an awesome finishing hole. It is a par 5 with a generous fairway to rip some drives on. Enjoy the finish.
Cons: Hole 5 from the short tee was too easy of a birdie for me. I could just throw two 250 foot hyzers and drop in my 3. It was not worth going for the 2 with the OB so I found it a boring hole. I have not played it from the long tee. Some small branches in the middle of the fairways seemed flukey and unfair when I played there.Hole 14's drive is really short and boring to me. It is a par 4 where I throw two putters to get to the green which is not very fun. Hole 17 feels exactly like hole 7 to me as it requires the same line.

The short par 4s are repetitive to me. Just not what I prefer.

< Prev 1 2 3 4