Charlotte, NC
Elon Park - Angry Beaver Share
Uploaded By: DiscChucker Hole #15 (Taken 7/2010)

2-4    7/24/2013   7/24/2014
Review By: JohtoVillage
Pros: This course is angry indeed! Here are my pros:

1) The variety on this course is astonishing. After the first three holes I found myself wondering, what's so angry about this course? I remember starting 2, 2, 2 and thinking this course was going to be EASY. I could not be more wrong. Its not everyday you play a course with a 158 foot par 3 and a few holes later play a BRUTAL 821 foot par 5. The variety of the distances on this course was off the charts.

2) Great baskets and great teepads. The tee signs were homemade but they did the trick.

3) Usage of water - I love courses that incorporate water hazards and Angry Beaver has a few holes where water comes into play. Hole 2 would be one of the easiest holes in Charlotte if not for the lake that is just long of the basket. A 158 foot hole is not hard but when you have a lake 20 feet past the pin that is screaming to engulf your disc you think twice about what to throw at the basket.

4) Hole 5 - this hole is just a treat. Its super challenging but fair. I love the twists and turns on this hole and it just screams UNIQUE. The area in front of the basket and to the right of the fairway near the green, if played as out of bounds, adds a whole new element to the hole.

5) One of these holes is not like the other - Hole 18! This hole is literally like nothing on the course. It is so different from everything else on the course that it makes it a great hole. Even though its a long, difficult hole with danger everywhere (deep woods right, creek left) it actually feels like a breath of fresh air after the wooded holes. This is a great hole with a great green that offers risk/reward shotmaking.
Cons: Here are my cons for Angry Beaver:

1) Hole 9 - unfortunately this hole is one of the few things wrong with this course. I don't like "forced" par 4's. To me a forced par 4 is a hole that looks like it should be a par 3 but then the designer does something to turn it into a par 4. Hole 9 has a very difficult, uphill tee shot to a tight landing area. That wasn't the biggest problem to me (though I hated the out of bounds on this hole). The biggest problem was the fact that the hole then dove more than 90 degrees to the left and kinda curled backwards into the woods just to turn the hole into a par 4. The hole unfortunately left a sour taste in my mouth because it could have been a decent par 3 with a different pin location. Its just one hole, though, so don't let it spoil the fun.

2) The back nine became a bit too repetitive for me. I am okay with wooded par 4's that have bending fairways but 11, 14, 15 and 16 all just roll together in my head. These holes struggled to have an identity in my mind that differentiated themselves from the other holes on the back nine. It just felt like I was throwing a 250 foot shot to a landing area and then watching the fairway bend one way or the other. I would have been okay with one or two of these holes but it felt like too much in my opinion.

3) Hole 8 - this isn't a huge con for me because it wasn't too bad but in my opinion this hole just had a little too much luck for me. I know they have it listed as a par 5 but I remember throwing a drive on this hole and it was not a good shot and it crashed through a lot of trees and ended up really good. I then remember throwing another drive a few days later on the same hole and thought I had thrown a perfect shot it and ended up out of bounds. Its just a finicky hole in my opinion.

4) I am not a huge fan of artificial OB. If I throw in the water then that's a penalty. But having areas on the course that are not hazards marked as out of bounds does bother me. I can understand mando areas being blocked off, etc, but I think a better design will allow that kind of stuff to be avoided.

5) I refuse to knock any course for being hard, unless its unfair. This is course is NOT unfair. However, this course is exhausting and not the funnest course to play. I don't think it was designed to be super fun but this course reminds me of Idlewild or Iron Hill (albeit on a lesser scale). Its a gold level course and is meant to be one of the more challenging courses out there. Don't expect to come play this course and smile. Expect to play this course and be drained. This course is not for the feint of heart. Charlotte has many options so if you want something easy walk 500 feet and play the Eager Beaver course.
Other Thoughts: This course holds up to its name very well. It is very angry! That doesn't mean this is a bad course. This is a very good course that really challenges a player. Once again, Charlotte proves itself to be the mecca of disc golf. I have truly never seen so many 3.5 to 4.0 disc golf courses in one area. Angry Beaver is one of the harder courses in the area and will challenge every part of your game -- especially your mental game!

NOTE: I will admit that if I could give this course a 3.75 I would give that rating to this course. I feel like its not a 4.0 course but is somewhere between a 3.5 and a 3.75.

Confusing!

5+    6/14/2014   3/31/2014
Review By: St. Benedisc
This review was updated on 6/15/2014
Pros: This course has some fun and challenging holes with great use of the natural topography and water features. Nice concrete tee pads and several well placed benches are a plus. Good mix of open and wooded shots. Lots of stepping stones and bridges over perennially wet spots.
Cons: I have yet to play a more confusing course than the state that this course is currently in. From hole 8 onwards, you will constantly wonder which hole you are actually on. Some additional signage would GREATLY help this situation.
Other Thoughts: Just finished "re-playing" this course after a 3 month hiatus and I was still confused from hole "8" onwards. Somebody please put up a sign at the basket of hole 7 that reads " Proceed to the tee-pad of "old hole 9" as it is now 8." I am assuming that all of this was done to lengthen other holes and I can appreciate that. I do wish, however, that a hole with a nice creek runnining the length of it would not have been chosen to be eliminated in order to make this change.

Slightly Irritated Beaver

5+    8/19/2012   8/21/2012
Review By: BraveThrower43
Pros: Angry Beaver is a very tough course that compliments the eager very well. Much like Nevin this course is about contol and can you throw accurate shots.

There are a few holes where you can bomb like hole 5 short pad and hole 18 but beware there is O.B. or thick woods nearbye.

I love how the course rocks you to sleep as you start because 1 2 3 &4are so straight forward and then you get to 5 and it starts getting tough.

The worlds layout took out my least favorite hole in Long 5!

The fact that there are two completly different courses on this property has to be the biggest Pro
Cons: The biggest con for me is this course just isn't memorable after about hole 10. It seems to get boring. While I do like the holes for the most part they just never really stand out in my mind.

It can be confusing to newcomers which course is which because the first few holes of angry arnt very long so theyre thinking" man I can do this" then holes 4 and 5 hit them hard. We had a group behind us on angry carrying ultimate discs and they had found there way onto the wrong course. They ended up giving up after hole 7

Confusing transitions for first timers. Hole 1 to 2 is marked but still a long strange transition and several places on the back 9 are confusing with multiple tees nearbye

There are a few places that I feel the OB can be a bit much such as hole 8 and the random OB creek halfway down hole 10.

No benches and very few trashcans which leads to litter.
Other Thoughts: Angry beaver is a serious challenge. The style of play is just like Nevin in that it's all about placement off the tee. This one is a tough course so bring your A game if you are traveling through. I definatly recomend this one!

Ouch!

1    7/14/2012   7/14/2012
Review By: TalbotTrojan
Pros: There are some absolutely spectacular holes on this course. The design on the course is good and it makes really good use of the stream that runs through the park. This is a huge park with a second much easier course there for the newer players. There is a very good viriety early on, but this fades away as the round goes on. Hole 18 is rather epic and even though I triple bogied it, it was still memorable in a good way. There are some really nice benches. Nice tee pads. Some of the baskets are aging a bit but for the most part they are still in very good condition. There are sports fields and I am sure more than I saw in the park. There is a very nice parking lot specifically in the disc golf area. The tee signs are really good and for the most part it is easy to find the next hole. This course is really all about the challenge.
Cons: The biggest con here for me was how the course started to feel repeatative about halfway through. Most of these are the holes that a long through tight woods with a dog leg one way or the other. So many of these holes I was just plain sick of them by the end. A bit more creativity would have made this course a 4 easily. Some of the OB lines are ridiculous, especially hole 9. Island green? Isn't it bad enough that you have to hit a tiny gap? There are a few walks from one hole to the next that might be a bit difficult.
Other Thoughts: I would highly recommend taking a map with you simply because there are a couple of long walks and poorly marked trails from one hole to the next. It looks as if they were well marked recently and just simple use by people who don't care or respect the course have made it not as good as it was. If you come to play this course, I would plan on playing the shorter easier course afterwards just so that you get your good feelings back. This really is a tough one and one I would not reccomend for newer players. This course does compare with some of the top courses in teh area, it really is just about that simple lack of creativity to holds this course back.

Pleasantly Surprised

1    5/25/2010   5/26/2010
Review By: Script
This review was updated on 8/15/2012
Pros: Living in Charlotte, I have been meaning to get out to play this course since it's inception. Well, I finally got the chance to and will definetely be going back soon.

- The course starts out with 3 birdie holes. Even though they should be simple 2's, there is a risk of each hole OB behind the basket to keep them interesting.

- After the first few holes, the course really shines. Be prepared to leave the big drives in the bag and break out the fairway drivers. Even though several holes are "reachable" at 430-480 feet, a big arm will more times than not leave you with a par/bogie, when a fairway drive will give you the up and in opportunities for birdies on this course.

- As stated in another review, the course's underbrush is well managed. The times you are off of the fairway (which you will be) you are often able to advance your disc down the fairway enough to save pars. Because of this, the course feels as it's established, which is a huge plus.

- A few holes stick out as "signature holes" in my mind after playing it. There is a hole (maybe hole 9?) that is an uphill double mando across the creek that I can envision interesting results within your group. Also 18 is a great birdie/eagle opportunity for the big arms. It says 801, but the drive is downhill, so a crush can leave you 350 out with a 3 chance.
Cons: - Not all concrete T's were in yet. (going in soon though)

-Not many trashcans.

-A few holes have, in my opinion it's a "con", putter placement tee shots on par 4's and 5's in order to dogleg 90deg left or right.

-One hole one the back 9 is an obvious "transition" hole that didn't seem to match the rest of the course.

- Parking is very limited.
Other Thoughts: If you're in Charlotte, play this course. It is for skilled players, so be prepared. Probably not quite the best course in Charlotte, but in a few years, it really might be competing for that title.

Revision - This course is still a very very good course, but the more I play it, the less it grows on me. I've updated my rating to 3.5. It doesn't have that wow factor a lot of other local courses have that I would rate at 4 of better.

If you like wooded courses....

1    1/1/2010   5/21/2010
Review By: DavidSauls
Pros: This is a quite challenging course, cut through a hardwood forest on rolling hills. It starts with 3 fun birdie (2) holes, which is just setting you up for an ambush. The bulk of the course is twisting and turning through the woods, with tight---but not unfair---fairways, and often small landing zones to hit and set up a second shot. You'll hardly see daylight until the final hole, where the fairway is wide and long enough to take out some frustration by really ripping the disc.

Every hole is fun and interesting and will test your control game.

The wooded canopy is heavy enough that, even off the fairway, there's not a lot of dense underbrush to deal with.

If you really like tight wooded courses, this is a 4.5.

As a bonus, the same parking lot accesses Elon Short. It offers two sets of tees---very short, and casual/beginner/youth very very short. This is an asset because you can warm up on the short course, or if your group varies widely in ability, there's something for everyone here.

I played on New years, but am sure it's nice in the Carolina summer to play a round in deep shade.
Cons: While all the wooded holes are well-designed, there are a bit too many of them. Threading the fairways---or, more often, missing them and trying to get back---can get a little old by about midway through the back 9.
Other Thoughts: I'm split between 3.5 and 4.0, mainly due to the lack of variety---not in the shots themselves, but in the style of holes. As I've already said, if a course full of challenging wooded holes is your cup of tea, you'll love Elon.

2-4    3/30/2010   4/6/2010
Review By: heelboycraig
This review was updated on 7/4/2014
Pros: Good, challenging wooded-course. After hole #5, every hole is wooded until #18. Some of the holes had a Bracketts Bluff-esque feel to them.
- Elon is easy to navigate. I had a harder time on some holes finding the basket than going from hole to hole. For the couple times you cross the road, there are even pointing towards the next hole.
- Great variety of holes. The little bit of elevation the course has is used wonderfully. Great overall use of terrain/overall lay of the land. Park has a drainage pond? Make it come into play on #5. Course has a creek? Make it come into play on #4, #8 & 18. Have a long greenway? Use it for #18. The only thing it was missing was a basket on top of the large hill by #5; although, I bet it was considered/attempted.
- Excellent compliment to Elon's short course. This is obviously a step (or two) up in skill level from the short course.
- This course has one of my favorite stretches of holes anywhere in #6 - 11. Such a wide range of layouts and lengths, that none is really like the other.
- #8 & 9 is an awesome back-to-back. #8 is a long hole, that weaves along the creek and through the trees, to a basket protected by another layer of trees. #9 is an uphill tee shot through a narrow opening in the trees, to a basket that is halfway down the same hill. You're in trouble here if you don't clear the opening, or go too far past, or left of the hole.
Cons: I was surprised the course has three straight 400 ft+ dogleg left holes on the back nine - #14 - 16. In any competitive round, this would seem to be a distinct advantage (or disadvantage) for some.
- Some people will disagree with me, but I was disappointed by #5. At it's length (821 ft) and S-shaped layout (see the map), it seems to neuter the person who throws 300 feet. You throw 250 - 300 off the tee; throw your next 2 shots in the 250 ft range, leaving yourself anywhere from birdie putt to midrange shot for your 4th shot. In all likelihood, the average thrower isn't going to do better than a 4, and if they keep their shots in the fairway, shouldn't do worse than a 5. A hole this long should have a bigger potential range of possible scores. The hole gives the appearance of difficulty (sharp curves, pond); but, as long as you play smart, it really isn't.
- Better tee signs are needed, especially on the holes where the basket isn't visible from the tee.
- More immediate park spaces near the course would be nice.
- Don't go long on #2, or you'll end up in the pond. The course has several places for potential lost discs, with water and thick patches of rough.
- There are some trashy areas in the woods. For example, on the back nine you come across an old fenced-in area that has equipment that needs to be trashed.
Other Thoughts: Elon is home to Charlotte only true 36 hole, dual courses. Renny, Hornets Nest, Kilborne & Winthrop all have 2 layouts, but the holes overlap.
- Starting at #6, when you really get into the woods, the course really takes off. Four holes stood out to me as true classics. #8 & 9, mentioned above, and #4 &18. All are fun, all are challenging. All deserve credit.
- This course opened the same month as Nevin, so fair or not, the two will be getting compared to each other (at least for locals.) With that said, it's a slight step down from Nevin in overall toughness, layout, fun factor. Par for the 2 courses are relatively close (Elon 66, Nevin 68), but Nevin is almost 1500 ft longer.
- In terms of Charlotte courses, Elon ranks behind Renny & Nevin, and compares very nicely to Hornets Nest. It's a must play for everyone.

Another Charlotte Gem in process

1    3/30/2010   3/30/2010
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: Challenging course with good variety of shots necessary to play a good round. A couple short holes that give the player and Ace or birdie opportunity and a bunch of longer holes that require control and a plan. No real bias as to backhand or forehand. A decent amount of risk/reward shots. Various hazards including pond, creeks, fences and a few possible road OBs. Fairways are cleared and offer good, descernible lines for each shot. Nothing unfair. But not much easy either. Very rudimentary signage, but enough to keep me from getting lost. I was never confused or lost. Located in the back of a park. Quiet and secluded form surrounding area.
Cons: A work in progress. Doesn't play like a new course, but as you play you can see where new additions such as bridges and steps have been added, and you can see where new features will be added. There are some great concrete pads, and there are still some natural pads that have roots and uneven surfaces. Some pads have the frame built for concrete to be poured so you know this course will only get better. Signs and navigation are very basic right now. You won't get confused, but you won't be impressed either. A good course, but it offers no real scenic beauty if that's your thing. Not any huge elevation or beautiful lake vistas. Just good ole Carolina woods.
Other Thoughts: Course starts out looking like a nice short easy course. The first holes offers a standard straight shot through some trees. A tough ACE, but a hole you could birdie of you play it well. Hole #2 is an Ace calling your name. Short and wide open. But there is a pond right behind it that you can't see. Don't overthrow too far! #3 is a big RHBH hyzer or forehand around an island trees. Fun shot with a road behind the basket. A big arm could overthrow it easily or ace it. #4 finally starts the long distance plan of Elon Long. Through the woods you go. OB creek on your left. #5 also offers some water in the form of a small pond once you get out of the woods. #9 is a cool tight fairway that goes over a small creek, uphill and then takes a sharp left turn. It requires good control to stay out of trouble. #10 is downhill across the creek again and out of a very tight fairway. #12 and #13 are also up and downhill shots with tight fairways. There are no bad holes on this course. Just solid Carolina disc golf. Worth a stop if you are in Charlotte. It's not quite Renny or Hornet's Nest, but it is pretty good. Enjoy. Once all the pads and features are finished on this course I'd gladly give it a solid 4. Nice job again Chalrotte, and thanks for everyone that has obviously worked very hard to get this course good so quickly.

Still to rough and new to give a 4 or higher!

1    1/24/2010   1/24/2010
Pros: 1) Very nice layout of this course. It has a nice variety of holes making it a pretty diverse course. There are some more open holes like the first 3 holes, then you head back into the woods. There is a pond in play on the second hole if you overshoot the basket and a stream comes into play on multiple holes in the woods also.

2) Blue ribbon marks your path to the next holes which is always helpful especially on such a new course.

3) The course has some pretty good directional signage in spots to help with navigation. These things are most important now as so many people playng the course have never been there before.

4) Nice new style white rimmed discatchers. This seems to be customary for the Charlotte area to have the white baskets for the longer layouts.

5) Concrete tees are in the near future. The forms are up on almost every hole and it should be done int he coming weeks. I assume that it is hapening after Nevin which was supposed to be today January 23rd.

6) Shot shaping is a requirement here which is an awesome feature for this course. There are multiple double doglegs which make you hit landing areas in order to have a clear shot to make the next dogleg. Multiple shot holes are huge in my book.

7) Temporary tee signs are decent and help you figure out each hole. I am sure they will have good signage on this course when all the other construction is complete and the funds have been raised.

8) Challenging wooded course just like the other Charlotte area courses. This is lower on my list than the others but I see the potential for it to be a great course over time.
Cons: 1) Currently the setup of this course is a single tee and a single basket. Eventually I am sure they will throw in some shorter tees because this course can be brutal on the best players.

2) This course is still a little rough. It needs to be played in for better fairway definition. It needs to be trampled in to show the rough areas in terms of navigation so that the problem areas can be solved. There already are spots where blocks are put in place to help walk across a drainage way but they will need to have more permanent fixes for these areas.

3) Too much luck is necessary on this hole because it is simply that tight and tough. I prefer courses that allow a slightly less precise shot. I am not saying I want them wider and easier, because I love the challenge, but often times your score on a hole might be determined more by luck than by skill.

4) Risk/reward is less of a factor on this course. Sure you risk ricochets off the trees lining the fairways, but the baskets do not really offer a major risk/reward type of shot. Overtime they could make some better basket locations which will become more apparent the more the course gets played.

5) There are still a lot of roots, stumps and other trippers on this course. These should be taken care of over time because they will only get worse as the soil compacts more and more.

6) Wire fence was visible and dangerous ina few spots along with some erosion control fencing. These things perhaps needed to be in place while the construction of the course and the drainage was being worked on, but should be removed eventually.

7) Course is not beginner friendly, but that is what the SHORT course is for. At least there is a course for all people on one site!

8) Course is very wet in spots and muddy. These areas need some drainage or at the very least some more permanent walkways or steppers.
Other Thoughts: I am assigning this course with a 3.5 disc rating given its current condition. I think it is a well designed course on a pretty cool property that has a lot of variety and challenge. Within 1 year I expect so many of the negatives I have mentioned to be taken care of and I will rate this course accordingly, but I can only truly rate the course based on its current conditions. If you have a problem with this type of reviewing let me know and I can further explain it, but there is no way to "KNOW" what the course will be like after 1 year of play. I think to rate this course nearly as high as Renny or Hornets Nest is a disservice to this site. Sure it may be that good of a course when all is said and done but right now it is not. It is too rough and needs more play and traffic to help it improve. The DG alone is great right now, but even that will get better within a year as it gets played in a little. Please give it some time, and I will be sure to update the review when I see things have changed. I have noted the important things here and as I see them change like tee signs and concrete tees and as phots get updated I will be sure to raise my grade. I also do plan to be back to Charlotte every year or perhaps every other year so I will be able to update the review based on what I see down the road, but like I said this rating is how I feel about the course as it is right now!

I realize I played the course after only 1 month of being open, so I am being a little lenient, but I do not see this course being equal to renny, hornets nest or some of the others without some more work. It is on the verge of a 4 disc course after teesigns and concrete pads are in, but without some work on the drainage and walkways, along with some natural breakin of the course it will top out as a 4 disc course IMO. If they take care of everything and it breaks in nicely this course could be a 4.5 disc course but I think it is a little ways away from that rating.

5+    12/4/2009   12/5/2009
Review By: david W
This review was updated on 5/15/2013
Pros: ELON PART 2!!! What a course! The new elon long pro course truly is incredible. A mix of par 3's, 4's, and 5's. The course is mostly wooded but has a few beautiful holes that play in more open areas. This course is VERY challenging and will really test your distance and accuracy unlike the short course that is more about touch. The course features both flat and elevated terrain and offers both uphill, downhill, and flat shots. A good mix of straight, left, and right turning fairways as well. Alot of risk reward as there is lots of ob (ob on at least 9 holes). One thing that really stands out about this course is that you have to think alot about if you want to go for it or play it safe. Many of the holes are very birdieable but if you make a mistake you will be punished with bogies or worse. Elon and Nevin are the two newest courses in the Charlotte area and we are calling them twins as they both were finished in the same weekend. Come on out and try them both!
Cons: At this time the course is very new and not 100% finished but not for long as many volunteers are hard at work getting this course done. A few of the fairways are very tight and in some ways a little over board. However, this is because the course is new and hasn't been broken in yet. No tee sigs as of now but they are in the works with a local scout.
Other Thoughts: At the time of this review elon has been in for only a week or so. Tee pad frames are being installed and are being prepared for pouring. All 18 baskets are in and the course is very playable. Most transition paths are marked with blue or green tape. Score cards and other course info can be found at http://www.elondiscgolf.com / or charlottedgc.com under courses on the discussion board.