Charlotte, NC
Elon Park - Angry Beaver Share
Uploaded By: DiscChucker Hole #1 (Taken 7/2010)

Soaked by the Angry Beaver

5+    3/27/2014   3/27/2014
Review By: cth0mps0n
Pros: This is my favorite course in the Charlotte area but first a disclaimer: I live next door to Elon so convenience has some bearing on my opinion. It's a very difficult course but is generally a fair challenge. I play it about 5 times per week and never get tired of it. Lots of variety from (a few) short birdie holes to several "just-get-me-outta-here-with-a-bogey" holes. Very heavily wooded- might want to leave the soft plastics in the trunk. A series of creeks wind through several holes along with several retention ponds. Moderate elevation changes but nothing of major consequence. It's long, no way around it. For a reasonably adept 4-some I would expect 2-3 hours to get around the loop. Multiple tees on numerous holes give you a lot of options for changing it up as desired. Trash cans, benches and the like are adequate and there are restrooms in two of the buildings at the park. One of the only courses that you won't hear people worried about their car being robbed! The adjacent short course is nice for a leisurely warm up or to lick your wounds after a rough day at the Angry Beaver. Great community of regular players, too!
Cons: The only hole I take issue with is #8. It's not that long for a par 5 but there is a creek that will make you question physics as it eats up every shot that isn't thrown perfectly. You can miss dead right and somehow go OB left. There are three 90+ degree turns on the hole with a sucker pin above another creek to finish you off. I've seen a lot of decent players take a 5-over par on this hole alone. A few holes demand identical shots even if the holes appear different to the eye. You'll need your anhyzers if you are a RHBH thower. The course can also be very, very muddy after a good rain.
Other Thoughts: It feels like you need raw distance here, but that is a mistake. This course will heavily penalize errant shots so focus on accuracy instead. Watch out for snakes in the warm months- there are a tons of them out here! Mostly harmless, of course, but will still scare you when you realize a copperhead or moccasin is at your feet!

5+    5/23/2013   5/23/2013
Review By: dndelli
Pros: This is one of, if not my favorite Disc Golf course. It is a very distinct course, that will not only challenge many players physically, but mentally as well. The course designers have managed to make great use of the environment of the park to give players an optimal level of challenging holes and levels of fun throughout the course. The first three holes are small par 3s that give players a chance to make their way under par before the true test begins. Don't let these holes fool you though. Hole 2 has an extremely quick green with a huge lake right behind it. Making it easy to skip off the basket and land in the drink. Playing a safe upshot is optimal. (I know this from experience.)

The rest of the park has a variety of wooded/open holes that make use of various types of OBs, including-but not limited to creeks and tall brush. Funky angles that open up into wider fairways as well as a great use of elevation change make this course great for technical players who thrive on throwing great lines with precision. The shortest hole on this course is hole 2 at 158 ft. Big arms will appreciate the long, open holes such as 5 and 18. At 814, hole 18 can be a beast requiring a great drive, to land where the fairway takes a hard turn to the right, and continues for another 300-400 ft.

Holes 5 and 15 were both given optional short tees that make a round of disc golf here much smoother, and much less frustrating.
Cons: Though a lot of the brush has been cleaned up to make losing your disc harder, that doesn't mean losing a disc hear would be hard. This course loves to devour discs, which can make a round extremely frustrating. Losing discs after a rainstorm becomes even easier, as the creeks will get going pretty fast, and will carry discs downstream if not chased after. I would have given this course a 4.5 if it didn't have such an insatiable appetite for poorly throw discs. (Be on top of your game when attempting to play.)

Another con for this course, is it is right next to the Elon Park short course (Eager Beaver) which means parking can become tight.
Other Thoughts: Elon Park is a great spot for a good Saturday of Disc Golf. With 2 different 18 Hole Courses, it is not only a park great for all levels of experience, but can be played back to back for a decent amount of Disc Golf. With the short course as a warm up, you can get yourself nice and ready for the Angry Beaver. And with major Water Hazards in play, and a lot of creeks creating nice out of bounds, this course can be an interesting experience right after a decent rainfall.

Favorite Holes: 2, 5, 8, 9, 18

My review

5+    2/10/2013   5/5/2013
Review By: johngrond
Pros: Long, sometimes tight, mostly wooded. This course has challenges for all! Accurate pars, IMHO. One of the tougher courses in the Charlotte Metro...
Cons: Multiple curves sometimes called for, which I, as a moderately skilled amateur, get beat up on. I can throw a hyzer flip with decent distance, but some of these holes require a pro arm to par. #5 in particular stands out for that. Again, this is just my opinion.
Other Thoughts: I truly enjoy this course. I don't score here nearly as well as I should, but I love it as much as any course in Charlotte.

Rain makes me angry

1    4/27/2013   4/27/2013
Review By: Bennybennybenny
Pros: -Great park with a gymnasium, place for fishing, game room, trail for walking, playground and TWO disc golf courses!
-This course at Elon seems to be worked on a little more than Eager Beaver because it has benches and trash cans unlike Eager Beaver.
-I like how this course gives you an opprotunity to score well on the first three holes, once you get to #4 you are like "This must be the hardest on the course." By the time you are on #5 you are thinking "How did this get here?!?!" Do not let the first three fool you because it gets tricky really fast.
-Great mix of holes here. It has elevation used pretty well, a few dropoffs, holes 200+ to 800'+, doglegs, and a few open holes but it's mostly wooded.
-A few short tees from worlds because some holes (particularly #5) can be a lot of trouble. I didn't mind playing the long tees though, I parred #4 but I did blow up on #5 because of terrible approach shots. The hole isn't so hard if you really throw hard.
-On this course, I have two favorite holes, #10 and #16. #10 is a straight downhill tunnel shot par 3 over the creek. Once you are over, the approach shot is pretty open. It says that it's 268' but it think it's about 305', it PLAYS maybe 268'. #16 is a slightly downhill dogleg left par 4. I threw a 320' hyzer and got an easy birdie even though I was in the woods, it's not bad if you are short on this hole, but it isn't pleasant if you overthrow. With that said, I think #2 is the most memorable along with #5.
#2 is an uphill 158' par 3 with the lake 5' behind the basket. I liked the design over the vegetation. It was a bit like #15 at South Mountain, except this hole isn't steep downhill. It's very easy to throw past the basket and land in the water just like an overthrow on #15 at South Mountain will get you in the DEEP woods. #5 was also memorable, it's the longest and toughest on the course close to the road. The big mound is close to it, some people wish the tee for #5 is on the mound.
-Very scenic walk in the woods. Very pretty course! It's VERY well maintained and very well taken care of. I enjoyed the beauty of this course, it's a pretty walk in a nice little forest. It was raining very hard when I played, I felt like I was in a conferous forest. A very pretty one.
-Water is used very nicely around the course. This may be a con for some people but I didn't mind it really.
-Both of the finishing holes end close to the first holes. On both courses. The first tees are both close to the parking lot. To get to the parking lot, just keep going past the white baskets (which are the baskets for this course.) and keep driving, just follow the road.
-At Winthrop University, it has two courses. It doesn't have teesigns that say which course you are playing. It doesn't have teesigns period. This place has teesigns that say angry beaver, and eager beaver on the teesigns so you know which course you are playing. The baskets are also different colors. The Eager Beaver baskets are yellow and the baskets on this course are white. The course kiosk is close to both first tees as well.
#18 was a great way to finish. It's an open dogleg right par 5. It was an easy par for me because I just threw three drives 250' and that left me with a short approach shot. It's long but if you throw decent drives down the fairway, you won't get worse than a bogey.
-Plenty of arrows pointing you to the next tee.
Cons: -When it rains, the fairway (or trail) leading to #3's basket is wet. Bring your old shoes and expect to get dirty because if your disc goes down #9's dropoff, you literally have to jump down six feet into the creek to get your disc. This course is VERY muddy. Do NOT play in the rain. I'm serious! I was extremely happy with my score of +10 in heavy rain. Discs will slip out of your hand and you could have a crappy shot. I had plenty of them.
-The vegetation on #3 is out of control! #2's didn't bug me because it's uphill so you can see the basket, plus it's very short. #3, you can't see the basket from the tee, I lost a cheetah on that hole. #3 wasn't a bad hole but the vegetation is horrible.
-The OB can bother you, a lot. This course has penalization written all over it. It wasn't the water that bugged me but this course has plenty of ropes that if you go past, you are penalized and some people won't like #9's island green rule. The teeshot is narrow and the trees cna give a nasty kick. If you go over the water, you are fine. I ignored the OB today because it was raining.
-#10's teepad is too small, so is #17's. Not the appropriate length for a teepad with holes almost 300'.
Other Thoughts: -I loved this course. It was very interesting and very scenic. I would have had a better score if it wasn't rainy today. I enjoyed this course anyway. Every hole is interesting in it's own way. This is the advanced level course at Elon but it's more forgiving than Nevin and Renaissance. It can still frustrate you. I got frustrated because of the rain which really bumped up my score.
-If you want an ace here, it can happen but at Eager Beaver, you have a bigger chance in an ace. #1-#3 can be aced and #13 could possibly be aced as well. #13 is an uphill ace run that goes into the woods. Some people think it messes with the flow of the course but it's a nice break from all the difficult holes you play is what I think about it.
-A warning here would be that OB isn't light. I lost two discs here. The course is scenic but you need to keep your eye on where the disc lands. Particularly #2 and #3. Those are the holes I lost discs on, and if you go into the water on #2, your disc is gone.
-This course doesn't really have a signature hole. Every hole here, you can either love it or hate it. Every hole will save you or hate you, #16 made me. #5 and #6 hated me. I double bogeyed them both.
-I loved this course! It's easy to navigate, it's pretty, the holes are all fair. None of the holes here are unfair, none of them. Some of them are very tough but none of them are really over the top for me. The OB may be irritating at time but none of the holes should really make you furious. The rain did though.
-Tell me if you want to know more.

Upset Beaver

2-4    6/16/2012   6/16/2012
Review By: ssittler
Pros: With all the courses we have in Charlotte this is definitely a gem in the crown.
I'll call it the Upset Beaver now however because it's been shortened for the World's event. It was definitely Angry before, but the shorter holes increase the pace of play and provide some Anger management.
The first 3 holes give you a chance to get under par. After that, it's up to you to score because the course gives nothing.
Most of the course plays in the woods so you'll need to hit lines, mostly with midrange discs. I can't remember a single hole where max driver would have been appropriate. That said it's a great challenge.
Cons: This is petty but there are not benches on every hole. I'm getting older so this is now something I notice.
Other Thoughts: A great venue for everyone when you consider both the Eager and Angry Beaver.

Nice course

1    9/17/2010   9/17/2011
Review By: snoborderphx
Pros: Great Course, very fun, a nice mix of long and technical holes. I liked how this course had long holes mixed with more technical holes instead of the front 9 being technical and the back 9 being the long holes
Cons: I was too beginner to throw this course. Intermediate and above should play this course. The only things I didn't like about the course were the briar patch on 2 bc I threw it right in the briars, and how long the course was when I played it. I would do much better now, but I needed more practice before playing this course
Other Thoughts: Bring Water, good shoes, and a good attitude.

Angry but not Furious

2-4    8/6/2011   8/12/2011
Review By: jksenior
Pros: Great test of skill and tests virtually every shot in your bag.
- I like a course with true par 4's (and a 5 or two), not just long par 3's disguised as 4's.
- Forces you to think before you throw.
- The terrain is nice and varied, not too hilly, but provides a good change of elevation for many holes.
- Good use of the water that 's around and through the course. Makes you think about where your shot will fall out to.
- Very fair for lefty's and righty's.
- In a nicely maintained park in a good area of town.
Cons: Just a few cons that could be overcome.
- Tee signs as mentioned before; the tee signs are creative but hard to read. Makes the course more difficult to navigate that it should. Hard to read distances and have no picture/diagram of the hole.
- tee pads were nice and consistent but a little short
- very few opportunities to throw a full driver. mostly fairway and controlled drivers or mids. I took all of my max drivers out of the bag for a second round.
Other Thoughts: I played the angry beaver as part of a one-day tournament. Was my first time on the course. Playing the morning round blind was very difficult. This is definitely a course where you benefit from playing it multiple times.

I went into expecting it to be tough, it was, but not unfairly so. Definitely worth a trip to play. Also play the short course as a warm-up.

BEAVER FEVER

5+    8/7/2011   8/7/2011
Review By: hogleggbob
Pros: quality course in south charlotte , that is designed towards the pro to advanced level player. nice concrete pads at every hole and nice white disc catchers. this course will force you to throw controlled fairway shots. a kick the wrong way will cost you strokes . every hole makes you think. alot of OB , and a island green on hole #9 that can kill a round quickly.
Cons: it can get sloppy during the winter, and when the creek is flowing, discs will disappear. there are still alot of tripper stumps in the fairways. has some benches and trashcans, but it could use some more
Other Thoughts: overall this course is a test worthy round. par is a pretty solid round. if you want to warm up before playing the beaver, the park also has a beginner level course that will sure up your approach game. i think this is a top 5 charlotte course as far as difficulty goes

What a course!

2-4    6/26/2011   6/29/2011
Review By: chucker10
Pros: Large concrete pads, new baskets, unique and creative layout. This course has a bit of everything and it is extremely challenging for a beginner/intermediate player like myself. It will test your resolve midway through the round or sooner. The first 3 holes are benign and fairly easy to par or even birdie. Then the pain begins but in a good way. I always played the eager beaver course in the same park thinking of how much better I have gotten but once I played this one I ate a big piece of humble pie. Nonetheless you can really hone your skills on this course because it seems to have every situation imaginable and it's easy to get in trouble if you're not precise on most holes. Distance really comes into play on 2 holes but precision and placement is the skill that is required when playing this course. There are a lot of courses in the Charlotte area and I haven't played all of them yet so I am probably not the best person to say this, but it is the toughest course I have played by far. The challenge though makes you want to come back.
Cons: Almost too technical at times and sometimes it feels like you just have to be lucky to get a good score. Course still needs to be broken in. Hole #2 needs some clearing out. You basically have a bunch of thick shrubbery starting a few feet in front of the tee pad and maybe 15 feet from the basket and in the summer it's a pain to get through.
Other Thoughts: As mentioned above it is very challenging and to me that is definitely a pro. If you learn how to get around this course I'm sure you can thrive in most courses in the area. Would not recommend if you're just going out to get a quick round in. You have to have a good strategy for each hole and not just toss the disc around. Be ready for a battle!

ANGRY!!!!

1    4/1/2011   5/5/2011
Review By: Jukeshoe
Pros: - The Angry Beaver layout provides a wealth of quality disc golf. Experienced players will be challenged to hit tightly wooded lines, avoid artifical OB, and cannon the occasional long open shot. Even players without big arms can score well here, as the fairways often place a premium on good placement over raw distance in order to set up the next shot. Artificial OB is everywhere. Keep an eye open for the red-tipped fence posts: they denote OB. A wide variety of hole length throughout: everything from 150' ace runs to crazily-shaped 800'+ monsters.
-Water comes into play nicely in several spots in the form of both a pond and small creeks. #2's green is a small hill with the pin at the top and a pond lurking behind for over-zealous tee shots and rollaways. #8, one of the course's standout holes, winds through woods with a stream comprising the left side of the fairway. #18 is a monster 800'+ hole that twists and turns before arriving at a pin position protected from behind by a creek.
- Slight to moderate elevation comes into play very nicely throughout, often in concert with water in order to provide some excellent risk/reward (especially on #'s 2 and 18).
- Good concrete tees. The signage, although hand-drawn, is more descriptive than most signage I've encountered. All OB is clearly labelled, along with distances, par, and hole number. Painted on various stumps and other markers are random distances to the pin or to a particular area of OB, which helps immensely on some of the longer holes. A few benches and trashcans are scattered throughout the course.
Cons: - Some conspicuous cutting and stumps remain from the initial course construction. Doesn't really impact play at all, but does detract somewhat from the beauty of the course. I imagine as this still fairly new course beats in, a lot of this will fade from sight.
Other Thoughts: - For players of lesser skill, the shorter and easier Eager Beaver course on site offers a great alternative to this challenging design.
- Special thanks to Stan and Diane McDaniel for giving my group a tour of the course, along with all the personal insights!