Charlotte, NC
Elon Park - Angry Beaver Share
Uploaded By: DiscChucker Hole #14 (Taken 7/2010)

< Prev 1 2 3 4
Risk/Reward in its purest form

5+    8/10/2012   10/13/2016
Review By: jsemales
Pros: This course is a well laid out course that allows you to disconnect from all distractions and really focus on your game. The course will play par if you play fairly conservatively and have good control of your throws, but you will not find birdies easy to come by if you don't get more aggressive. You run the risk of playing disc plinko when you get into the woods, but without the risk you wont find any birds.
Cons: The course is tough and it can be easy to lose a disc when playing. Stay focused and objectively approach every hole. You may need to get muddy if you get off the beaten path, the creek comes into play quite a bit.

NEW Map Uploaded

1    7/6/2016   7/7/2016
Review By: DavidNC
Pros: Very fair course with high risk/reward factor. This course is not like Nevin in that if you play this one conservatively, there will not be many birdie opportunities; or, bogeys for that matter. Go for it and you run the risk of either pinballing into some tough woods or splashing into the creek that is present on many holes. Hole 8 comes to mind right away with the basket on a slope leading into the creek. Hole 11 is another where the creek guards the basket, requiring an almost perfect approach shot. The woods here are much tougher to play out of than the Eager side; and, the creek, though dry in many spots right now (just because we have not had much rain lately), is deep and nasty. Hole 2, well . . . I know about the pond behind the basket since I have lost many a disk playing the Eager side. As other's have mentioned, that hungry pond is only about 20 feet or so behind the basket, with a rather steep bank into the pond. Chances are, if you overshoot the basket, I hope your disk floats or scuba gear will be needed. And the growth in front of the green does not lend itself to a very large landing zone. All said about the Angry Beaver, if you "go for it" and place your shots well, there are many chances at birdies here.

Because most of this course has a nice tree canopy, it can be enjoyed a bit more on those real hot summer days.
Cons: Not really a negative; but, on hole 3 the foliage seems to have choked off both the left and right preferred flight paths. It appears that the best way to approach this one is to just go over the trees (some of which are quite tall). Miss the tee shot and the disc will end up in some very tall brush.

The biggest negative on this course is exactly what almost every other reviewer has mentioned in the last few years; and, that is navigation. The course has undergone many changes since its inception and the documentation and signage has not kept up with those changes. Most of the front nine pretty much flows as it always has, until one gets to hole 8, and then the adventure begins. I personally took the risk of playing the course on my own (it was 6:30 AM when I started) and even with all of the notes other players have placed on various websites, had a few problems with the back nine, primarily with holes 13-15. There were enough notes about the new "S" hole 8, could see the new 9 & 12 baskets from the tees, and another reviewer updated the signs for 10-13, which helped immensely.

I have taken the liberty of creating an updated course map and posting it to this site (hopefully the map will be approved since the maps posted there now are very outdated and will get you lost in a hurry). As I played this course for the first time, it also seemed in some ways, the course is becoming neglected. Vandals have taken their toll on some of the signage; and, we could all do a better job of cleaning up the trash. Perhaps this is just me; but the Eager side has had new signage for a few months. It could be a financial thing and new signs are coming; I can only hope this is the case and CDGC is not abandoning it. We already lost Hornet's Nest, don't want to lose another.
Other Thoughts: The front nine has better chances of losing a disc in deep brush. If you place a disc in it, please be midful of snakes and ticks as you look for it. The back nine, with the exception of the 18th, is pretty much all wooded.

I am going to go out on a limb during this review. I was once critical of the CDGC on a review and got roasted over the coals for it; mainly because I did not word things well, and because everyone's sensitivity meter seems to run way too high nowadays. We here in Charlotte have hosted the World Championships and have many players of all abilities taking road trips to our area just to play our wonderful courses. Elon provides the opportunity for someone to play 54 radically different holes in one location. If we are to be sensitive, this is an area where we should all direct our energies. If CDGC is going to link to DGCR, it must be mindful of keeping the documentation up to date, lets all do a better job of picking up after ourselves, and keep our courses the best around. It is always the little things we take for granted. Most of our courses are free to play. I just came off of a road trip where most of the courses I played required a fee to play (at least the nicer ones did - maybe the fee is one of the reasons the courses are nicer; not sure).

5+    9/8/2015   9/8/2015
Review By: GilStroder
Pros: Great course that offers a great deal of challenge and requires a shot from your whole bag. Love this course and how deep in the woods it is. You can really disconnect and play some solid disc golf. However you must be precise or you can be getting bogeys every hole pretty easily.
Cons: Course upkeep. I have been going every week recently to clean trash and I am the one who wrote on the 8 tee pad where the pin is actually located... I have also cleared dead trees that were just making the course unattractive. I did not however make any whole easier or harder...just routine upkeep.
Other Thoughts: Favorite course in charlotte behind winget and I have played them all.

Angry Beaver

5+    8/27/2015   8/28/2015
Review By: MonkeyGrass
Pros: Challenging, tight woods course. Not too long, but long enough to give every player a challenge. Clean course, nice tee pads. Benches or chairs at nearly every tee. Good variety of holes, from a couple ace-runners to a couple 800' par 5's that will truly test your accuracy and distance. Well rounded course that needs to be played a few times before truly appreciating it!
Cons: What they did to hole 8 is a travesty. The original 8 was a great par 4 down the creek. Adding another 200' and a curly-Q with a ridiculous mando doesn't make the hole any better - just longer and more frustrating. Signage is still not correct on the back 9, and can get a bit confusing if you are playing the course for the first time.
Other Thoughts: This is a very "mental" course. It will challenge you and if you are hacking thru the trees hole after hole due to a lack of driver control - you will truly understand why it's called the "Angry Beaver". If you can avoid the head games, keep your focus and play smart, this is a very fun course and one that will keep you coming back for more!

Could be great

1    3/30/2015   3/30/2015
Review By: TheIncredibleHuck
Pros: Beautiful area, professional level OB and course structure. With proper signage and directions could be one of Charlottes top 3 coures.
Cons: Really got turned around at hole 8. 1-7 plays pretty self-evidently. Without a map or dgcr on mobile web you will be lost on this course guaranteed. Some signs are simply drawings of cupcakes or flowers. The only reason this course should make you angry is the lack of instructions. not attempt to figure out the course blind, it must be a locals only type of info as with the proper signage this could be a 4.0-4.5 rated course. Without it you will simply be angry.

Beaver Damn!

1    1/8/2015   1/12/2015
Review By: forehandfranz
Pros: Really a testament to how you can control your disc through tight lines in the woods.

It starts out friendly enough with holes 1-3 being prime short birdie opportunities. They are fun and interesting but are more like the Eager Beaver course than the remainder of this one. Just be careful on #2, a very short 180' hole - but don't overshoot, as there is a pond hiding behind the pin which (apparently) won't yield your disc. It's not intuitive to find tee #2 or 4 except they have kindly painted arrows with numbers on the pavement to show you how to navigate this tricky part.

Then the work begins as you head into the woods where there are many par 4 & 5 holes (only two of which are in the open - 5 & 18 - which are very refreshing but STILL have great peril along the edges), but you will be better served to take some power away on the long holes in the woods, or you will be suffering many pitch-outs. The long woods holes primarily make you turn a dogleg successfully to set up for your next shot. I found this course to be similar to Nevin but seemed more intense than that course.
Cons: When I finished playing my round here I was the angry one! Angry at that Beaver that did not chop down enough trees for his dam. Actually, I felt mentally drained. I liked the challenge, but just felt the difficulty level drained some of the fun.

Some specific points of contention:
Hole #8, as Reposado mentioned is kinda ridiculous. It used to be two separate holes which seemed that they may be better as two holes instead of one. Now, it is a twisty, climby, heavily wooded with lots of OB and very long mess. I scored a par on the hole but felt I hadn't played it well. It just seems like an afterthought.

Perhaps this is just a first-timer's woes but some of the long holes in the woods seemed VERY picky on placement with a mix of poke and hope (yes you, holes 8, 10, 15, 16). If you land just slightly off the edge of the fairway or come up a bit short in distance, you will be punished heavily without a decent line on your next shot.
Other Thoughts: Granted, this course will be a sharp learning curve on your first play because you don't know where your landing zones are yet, and you will also be walking up fairways to spot the pins. That said, I am intrigued to try this course again as there are some interesting elements.

This course is really best played if you can swallow your pride and put most of your power game in your back pocket for a majority of the course . If you can't have this mindset, you may have a VERY frustrating experience. But if you have more of a placement game in mind, you can probably shave some strokes and stay out of trouble.

Make sure and play the Eager Beaver while you're here. It's a nice easy companion to warm up or down from this course.

2-4    7/24/2013   7/24/2014
Review By: JohtoVillage
Pros: This course is angry indeed! Here are my pros:

1) The variety on this course is astonishing. After the first three holes I found myself wondering, what's so angry about this course? I remember starting 2, 2, 2 and thinking this course was going to be EASY. I could not be more wrong. Its not everyday you play a course with a 158 foot par 3 and a few holes later play a BRUTAL 821 foot par 5. The variety of the distances on this course was off the charts.

2) Great baskets and great teepads. The tee signs were homemade but they did the trick.

3) Usage of water - I love courses that incorporate water hazards and Angry Beaver has a few holes where water comes into play. Hole 2 would be one of the easiest holes in Charlotte if not for the lake that is just long of the basket. A 158 foot hole is not hard but when you have a lake 20 feet past the pin that is screaming to engulf your disc you think twice about what to throw at the basket.

4) Hole 5 - this hole is just a treat. Its super challenging but fair. I love the twists and turns on this hole and it just screams UNIQUE. The area in front of the basket and to the right of the fairway near the green, if played as out of bounds, adds a whole new element to the hole.

5) One of these holes is not like the other - Hole 18! This hole is literally like nothing on the course. It is so different from everything else on the course that it makes it a great hole. Even though its a long, difficult hole with danger everywhere (deep woods right, creek left) it actually feels like a breath of fresh air after the wooded holes. This is a great hole with a great green that offers risk/reward shotmaking.
Cons: Here are my cons for Angry Beaver:

1) Hole 9 - unfortunately this hole is one of the few things wrong with this course. I don't like "forced" par 4's. To me a forced par 4 is a hole that looks like it should be a par 3 but then the designer does something to turn it into a par 4. Hole 9 has a very difficult, uphill tee shot to a tight landing area. That wasn't the biggest problem to me (though I hated the out of bounds on this hole). The biggest problem was the fact that the hole then dove more than 90 degrees to the left and kinda curled backwards into the woods just to turn the hole into a par 4. The hole unfortunately left a sour taste in my mouth because it could have been a decent par 3 with a different pin location. Its just one hole, though, so don't let it spoil the fun.

2) The back nine became a bit too repetitive for me. I am okay with wooded par 4's that have bending fairways but 11, 14, 15 and 16 all just roll together in my head. These holes struggled to have an identity in my mind that differentiated themselves from the other holes on the back nine. It just felt like I was throwing a 250 foot shot to a landing area and then watching the fairway bend one way or the other. I would have been okay with one or two of these holes but it felt like too much in my opinion.

3) Hole 8 - this isn't a huge con for me because it wasn't too bad but in my opinion this hole just had a little too much luck for me. I know they have it listed as a par 5 but I remember throwing a drive on this hole and it was not a good shot and it crashed through a lot of trees and ended up really good. I then remember throwing another drive a few days later on the same hole and thought I had thrown a perfect shot it and ended up out of bounds. Its just a finicky hole in my opinion.

4) I am not a huge fan of artificial OB. If I throw in the water then that's a penalty. But having areas on the course that are not hazards marked as out of bounds does bother me. I can understand mando areas being blocked off, etc, but I think a better design will allow that kind of stuff to be avoided.

5) I refuse to knock any course for being hard, unless its unfair. This is course is NOT unfair. However, this course is exhausting and not the funnest course to play. I don't think it was designed to be super fun but this course reminds me of Idlewild or Iron Hill (albeit on a lesser scale). Its a gold level course and is meant to be one of the more challenging courses out there. Don't expect to come play this course and smile. Expect to play this course and be drained. This course is not for the feint of heart. Charlotte has many options so if you want something easy walk 500 feet and play the Eager Beaver course.
Other Thoughts: This course holds up to its name very well. It is very angry! That doesn't mean this is a bad course. This is a very good course that really challenges a player. Once again, Charlotte proves itself to be the mecca of disc golf. I have truly never seen so many 3.5 to 4.0 disc golf courses in one area. Angry Beaver is one of the harder courses in the area and will challenge every part of your game -- especially your mental game!

NOTE: I will admit that if I could give this course a 3.75 I would give that rating to this course. I feel like its not a 4.0 course but is somewhere between a 3.5 and a 3.75.

Soaked by the Angry Beaver

5+    3/27/2014   3/27/2014
Review By: cth0mps0n
Pros: This is my favorite course in the Charlotte area but first a disclaimer: I live next door to Elon so convenience has some bearing on my opinion. It's a very difficult course but is generally a fair challenge. I play it about 5 times per week and never get tired of it. Lots of variety from (a few) short birdie holes to several "just-get-me-outta-here-with-a-bogey" holes. Very heavily wooded- might want to leave the soft plastics in the trunk. A series of creeks wind through several holes along with several retention ponds. Moderate elevation changes but nothing of major consequence. It's long, no way around it. For a reasonably adept 4-some I would expect 2-3 hours to get around the loop. Multiple tees on numerous holes give you a lot of options for changing it up as desired. Trash cans, benches and the like are adequate and there are restrooms in two of the buildings at the park. One of the only courses that you won't hear people worried about their car being robbed! The adjacent short course is nice for a leisurely warm up or to lick your wounds after a rough day at the Angry Beaver. Great community of regular players, too!
Cons: The only hole I take issue with is #8. It's not that long for a par 5 but there is a creek that will make you question physics as it eats up every shot that isn't thrown perfectly. You can miss dead right and somehow go OB left. There are three 90+ degree turns on the hole with a sucker pin above another creek to finish you off. I've seen a lot of decent players take a 5-over par on this hole alone. A few holes demand identical shots even if the holes appear different to the eye. You'll need your anhyzers if you are a RHBH thower. The course can also be very, very muddy after a good rain.
Other Thoughts: It feels like you need raw distance here, but that is a mistake. This course will heavily penalize errant shots so focus on accuracy instead. Watch out for snakes in the warm months- there are a tons of them out here! Mostly harmless, of course, but will still scare you when you realize a copperhead or moccasin is at your feet!

a bit too angry

1    11/16/2013   12/2/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: It's tough. It's long. It's challenging. It's tight, woods golf in the Carolina tradition. The angry beaver will drag you down over eighteen holes and spit you out exhausted and beaten down.

There are some nice holes here, starting with 1, a downhill tunnel that forces an extremely straight throw to the pin.

There's a ton of variety with shots moving to either direction and a decent amount of elevation on many of the holes.

Also, if you like forced layups, this will be the best course you have ever played, because they are featured on most of the holes.
Cons: But hard does not not necessarily mean good and Angry Beaver is a good example why. While there are courses that are both challenging and excellent, this is an example of a course that was toughened up to make more difficult while ruining anything that was good about it.

A perfect example of this is what has happened to hole 8. The old 8 was probably the best hole on the course, with a long fairway over a meandering creek. It only needed a few trees removed on the approach to make an excellent signature hole. Instead, it was combined with hole 9(a bad hole with a too severe curve) to make the new 8. It's probably the worst hole I've ever played. It's shaped like a damn question mark. Unless your goal is to play courses shaped like sentences, I can't see you liking this change. It's harder, I guess, but only because it's a ridiculous hole in an artificial shape. This is an absolute disaster of a hole design which has warped the entire course in the name of difficulty.

There are an absurd amount of ninety degree turns here. The course encourages placement on drives, but only so that it can make the majority of drives a forced layup. I stopped counting the sharp turns on this course but none of them increase the fun here. It's a groanfest of sharp corners.

When the fairways don't require layups, they are typically overly long shots. This is evident in some of the new tees, where they are lengthened just for the sake of length. 5 is a good example of that. It's not a fun hole. It's just long.

Long can be good. But after a dozen holes of ugh, long is really bad. For a ton of people it will be a tiresome course full of holes that don't really make sense as disc golf holes.

The biggest problem is how much the course drags towards the end. The holes are long and there is little memorable about any of them. For the last last third of the course, I was more weary than excited. That is accentuated by the similarity between most of the holes and laying up to a ninety degree turn seventy feet down the fairway is extremely frustrating for the sixth time.
Other Thoughts: In many cities, I'd advise checking out the Angry Beaver. It has a lot of good qualities. But in Charlotte, there are a lot better uses of disc golf time.

Do what boss?

1    10/10/2013   10/18/2013
Review By: Rob Martin
Pros: Type of difficulty for some holes were unique such as:
Hole 1 - needed very controlled downhill slope shot.
2 - Blind basket, hyzer over briars, pond and slope away in 2 directions.
3 - Another blind hole, OB behind.
Tight, wooded remainder for most of the remainder of the course.
Cons: If the review is meant to be the *current* condition, this course frustrated the bleep out of me. It is in the middle of a redesin. Some of the new holes will be great, others - at this time - just didn't make sense.
Other Thoughts: In general, I'm not a lengthy essay reviewer. I submit a review primarily to balance a Course Rating if I believe it is skewed high or low to the 95+ courses, 15 states I've played so far. At the time of this review, the course was a 3.83 rating. I was disappointed in it.

< Prev 1 2 3 4