Charlotte, NC
Elon Park - Angry Beaver Share
Uploaded By: DiscChucker Hole #8 (Taken 7/2010)

< Prev 1 2 3 4
Transitional nightmare

2-4    3/30/2014   3/31/2014
Review By: St. Benedisc
Pros: This course has some fun and challenging holes with great use of the natural topography and water features. Nice concrete tee pads and several well placed benches are a plus. Good mix of open and wooded shots. Lots of stepping stones and bridges over perennially wet spots.
Cons: I have yet to play a more confusing course than the state that this course is currently in. Where's the basket for hole 8? You will constantly wonder which hole you are actually on from this point forward. You will be disappointed by the new uneven, dirt "tee pads" littered with protruding roots and marked only by a couple of flags. Some additional signage would greatly help this situation.
Other Thoughts: When they get this mess straightened out, this will be one of the best courses in the area. Until then, your time will be better spent elsewhere.

Soaked by the Angry Beaver

5+    3/27/2014   3/27/2014
Review By: cth0mps0n
Pros: This is my favorite course in the Charlotte area but first a disclaimer: I live next door to Elon so convenience has some bearing on my opinion. It's a very difficult course but is generally a fair challenge. I play it about 5 times per week and never get tired of it. Lots of variety from (a few) short birdie holes to several "just-get-me-outta-here-with-a-bogey" holes. Very heavily wooded- might want to leave the soft plastics in the trunk. A series of creeks wind through several holes along with several retention ponds. Moderate elevation changes but nothing of major consequence. It's long, no way around it. For a reasonably adept 4-some I would expect 2-3 hours to get around the loop. Multiple tees on numerous holes give you a lot of options for changing it up as desired. Trash cans, benches and the like are adequate and there are restrooms in two of the buildings at the park. One of the only courses that you won't hear people worried about their car being robbed! The adjacent short course is nice for a leisurely warm up or to lick your wounds after a rough day at the Angry Beaver. Great community of regular players, too!
Cons: The only hole I take issue with is #8. It's not that long for a par 5 but there is a creek that will make you question physics as it eats up every shot that isn't thrown perfectly. You can miss dead right and somehow go OB left. There are three 90+ degree turns on the hole with a sucker pin above another creek to finish you off. I've seen a lot of decent players take a 5-over par on this hole alone. A few holes demand identical shots even if the holes appear different to the eye. You'll need your anhyzers if you are a RHBH thower. The course can also be very, very muddy after a good rain.
Other Thoughts: It feels like you need raw distance here, but that is a mistake. This course will heavily penalize errant shots so focus on accuracy instead. Watch out for snakes in the warm months- there are a tons of them out here! Mostly harmless, of course, but will still scare you when you realize a copperhead or moccasin is at your feet!

a bit too angry

1    11/16/2013   12/2/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: It's tough. It's long. It's challenging. It's tight, woods golf in the Carolina tradition. The angry beaver will drag you down over eighteen holes and spit you out exhausted and beaten down.

There are some nice holes here, starting with 1, a downhill tunnel that forces an extremely straight throw to the pin.

There's a ton of variety with shots moving to either direction and a decent amount of elevation on many of the holes.

Also, if you like forced layups, this will be the best course you have ever played, because they are featured on most of the holes.
Cons: But hard does not not necessarily mean good and Angry Beaver is a good example why. While there are courses that are both challenging and excellent, this is an example of a course that was toughened up to make more difficult while ruining anything that was good about it.

A perfect example of this is what has happened to hole 8. The old 8 was probably the best hole on the course, with a long fairway over a meandering creek. It only needed a few trees removed on the approach to make an excellent signature hole. Instead, it was combined with hole 9(a bad hole with a too severe curve) to make the new 8. It's probably the worst hole I've ever played. It's shaped like a damn question mark. Unless your goal is to play courses shaped like sentences, I can't see you liking this change. It's harder, I guess, but only because it's a ridiculous hole in an artificial shape. This is an absolute disaster of a hole design which has warped the entire course in the name of difficulty.

There are an absurd amount of ninety degree turns here. The course encourages placement on drives, but only so that it can make the majority of drives a forced layup. I stopped counting the sharp turns on this course but none of them increase the fun here. It's a groanfest of sharp corners.

When the fairways don't require layups, they are typically overly long shots. This is evident in some of the new tees, where they are lengthened just for the sake of length. 5 is a good example of that. It's not a fun hole. It's just long.

Long can be good. But after a dozen holes of ugh, long is really bad. For a ton of people it will be a tiresome course full of holes that don't really make sense as disc golf holes.

The biggest problem is how much the course drags towards the end. The holes are long and there is little memorable about any of them. For the last last third of the course, I was more weary than excited. That is accentuated by the similarity between most of the holes and laying up to a ninety degree turn seventy feet down the fairway is extremely frustrating for the sixth time.
Other Thoughts: In many cities, I'd advise checking out the Angry Beaver. It has a lot of good qualities. But in Charlotte, there are a lot better uses of disc golf time.

Do what boss?

1    10/10/2013   10/18/2013
Review By: Rob Martin
Pros: Type of difficulty for some holes were unique such as:
Hole 1 - needed very controlled downhill slope shot.
2 - Blind basket, hyzer over briars, pond and slope away in 2 directions.
3 - Another blind hole, OB behind.
Tight, wooded remainder for most of the remainder of the course.
Cons: If the review is meant to be the *current* condition, this course frustrated the bleep out of me. It is in the middle of a redesin. Some of the new holes will be great, others - at this time - just didn't make sense.
Other Thoughts: In general, I'm not a lengthy essay reviewer. I submit a review primarily to balance a Course Rating if I believe it is skewed high or low to the 95+ courses, 15 states I've played so far. At the time of this review, the course was a 3.83 rating. I was disappointed in it.

5+    5/23/2013   5/23/2013
Review By: dndelli
Pros: This is one of, if not my favorite Disc Golf course. It is a very distinct course, that will not only challenge many players physically, but mentally as well. The course designers have managed to make great use of the environment of the park to give players an optimal level of challenging holes and levels of fun throughout the course. The first three holes are small par 3s that give players a chance to make their way under par before the true test begins. Don't let these holes fool you though. Hole 2 has an extremely quick green with a huge lake right behind it. Making it easy to skip off the basket and land in the drink. Playing a safe upshot is optimal. (I know this from experience.)

The rest of the park has a variety of wooded/open holes that make use of various types of OBs, including-but not limited to creeks and tall brush. Funky angles that open up into wider fairways as well as a great use of elevation change make this course great for technical players who thrive on throwing great lines with precision. The shortest hole on this course is hole 2 at 158 ft. Big arms will appreciate the long, open holes such as 5 and 18. At 814, hole 18 can be a beast requiring a great drive, to land where the fairway takes a hard turn to the right, and continues for another 300-400 ft.

Holes 5 and 15 were both given optional short tees that make a round of disc golf here much smoother, and much less frustrating.
Cons: Though a lot of the brush has been cleaned up to make losing your disc harder, that doesn't mean losing a disc hear would be hard. This course loves to devour discs, which can make a round extremely frustrating. Losing discs after a rainstorm becomes even easier, as the creeks will get going pretty fast, and will carry discs downstream if not chased after. I would have given this course a 4.5 if it didn't have such an insatiable appetite for poorly throw discs. (Be on top of your game when attempting to play.)

Another con for this course, is it is right next to the Elon Park short course (Eager Beaver) which means parking can become tight.
Other Thoughts: Elon Park is a great spot for a good Saturday of Disc Golf. With 2 different 18 Hole Courses, it is not only a park great for all levels of experience, but can be played back to back for a decent amount of Disc Golf. With the short course as a warm up, you can get yourself nice and ready for the Angry Beaver. And with major Water Hazards in play, and a lot of creeks creating nice out of bounds, this course can be an interesting experience right after a decent rainfall.

Favorite Holes: 2, 5, 8, 9, 18

My review

5+    2/10/2013   5/5/2013
Review By: johngrond
Pros: Long, sometimes tight, mostly wooded. This course has challenges for all! Accurate pars, IMHO. One of the tougher courses in the Charlotte Metro...
Cons: Multiple curves sometimes called for, which I, as a moderately skilled amateur, get beat up on. I can throw a hyzer flip with decent distance, but some of these holes require a pro arm to par. #5 in particular stands out for that. Again, this is just my opinion.
Other Thoughts: I truly enjoy this course. I don't score here nearly as well as I should, but I love it as much as any course in Charlotte.

Rain makes me angry

1    4/27/2013   4/27/2013
Review By: Bennybennybenny
Pros: -Great park with a gymnasium, place for fishing, game room, trail for walking, playground and TWO disc golf courses!
-This course at Elon seems to be worked on a little more than Eager Beaver because it has benches and trash cans unlike Eager Beaver.
-I like how this course gives you an opprotunity to score well on the first three holes, once you get to #4 you are like "This must be the hardest on the course." By the time you are on #5 you are thinking "How did this get here?!?!" Do not let the first three fool you because it gets tricky really fast.
-Great mix of holes here. It has elevation used pretty well, a few dropoffs, holes 200+ to 800'+, doglegs, and a few open holes but it's mostly wooded.
-A few short tees from worlds because some holes (particularly #5) can be a lot of trouble. I didn't mind playing the long tees though, I parred #4 but I did blow up on #5 because of terrible approach shots. The hole isn't so hard if you really throw hard.
-On this course, I have two favorite holes, #10 and #16. #10 is a straight downhill tunnel shot par 3 over the creek. Once you are over, the approach shot is pretty open. It says that it's 268' but it think it's about 305', it PLAYS maybe 268'. #16 is a slightly downhill dogleg left par 4. I threw a 320' hyzer and got an easy birdie even though I was in the woods, it's not bad if you are short on this hole, but it isn't pleasant if you overthrow. With that said, I think #2 is the most memorable along with #5.
#2 is an uphill 158' par 3 with the lake 5' behind the basket. I liked the design over the vegetation. It was a bit like #15 at South Mountain, except this hole isn't steep downhill. It's very easy to throw past the basket and land in the water just like an overthrow on #15 at South Mountain will get you in the DEEP woods. #5 was also memorable, it's the longest and toughest on the course close to the road. The big mound is close to it, some people wish the tee for #5 is on the mound.
-Very scenic walk in the woods. Very pretty course! It's VERY well maintained and very well taken care of. I enjoyed the beauty of this course, it's a pretty walk in a nice little forest. It was raining very hard when I played, I felt like I was in a conferous forest. A very pretty one.
-Water is used very nicely around the course. This may be a con for some people but I didn't mind it really.
-Both of the finishing holes end close to the first holes. On both courses. The first tees are both close to the parking lot. To get to the parking lot, just keep going past the white baskets (which are the baskets for this course.) and keep driving, just follow the road.
-At Winthrop University, it has two courses. It doesn't have teesigns that say which course you are playing. It doesn't have teesigns period. This place has teesigns that say angry beaver, and eager beaver on the teesigns so you know which course you are playing. The baskets are also different colors. The Eager Beaver baskets are yellow and the baskets on this course are white. The course kiosk is close to both first tees as well.
#18 was a great way to finish. It's an open dogleg right par 5. It was an easy par for me because I just threw three drives 250' and that left me with a short approach shot. It's long but if you throw decent drives down the fairway, you won't get worse than a bogey.
-Plenty of arrows pointing you to the next tee.
Cons: -When it rains, the fairway (or trail) leading to #3's basket is wet. Bring your old shoes and expect to get dirty because if your disc goes down #9's dropoff, you literally have to jump down six feet into the creek to get your disc. This course is VERY muddy. Do NOT play in the rain. I'm serious! I was extremely happy with my score of +10 in heavy rain. Discs will slip out of your hand and you could have a crappy shot. I had plenty of them.
-The vegetation on #3 is out of control! #2's didn't bug me because it's uphill so you can see the basket, plus it's very short. #3, you can't see the basket from the tee, I lost a cheetah on that hole. #3 wasn't a bad hole but the vegetation is horrible.
-The OB can bother you, a lot. This course has penalization written all over it. It wasn't the water that bugged me but this course has plenty of ropes that if you go past, you are penalized and some people won't like #9's island green rule. The teeshot is narrow and the trees cna give a nasty kick. If you go over the water, you are fine. I ignored the OB today because it was raining.
-#10's teepad is too small, so is #17's. Not the appropriate length for a teepad with holes almost 300'.
Other Thoughts: -I loved this course. It was very interesting and very scenic. I would have had a better score if it wasn't rainy today. I enjoyed this course anyway. Every hole is interesting in it's own way. This is the advanced level course at Elon but it's more forgiving than Nevin and Renaissance. It can still frustrate you. I got frustrated because of the rain which really bumped up my score.
-If you want an ace here, it can happen but at Eager Beaver, you have a bigger chance in an ace. #1-#3 can be aced and #13 could possibly be aced as well. #13 is an uphill ace run that goes into the woods. Some people think it messes with the flow of the course but it's a nice break from all the difficult holes you play is what I think about it.
-A warning here would be that OB isn't light. I lost two discs here. The course is scenic but you need to keep your eye on where the disc lands. Particularly #2 and #3. Those are the holes I lost discs on, and if you go into the water on #2, your disc is gone.
-This course doesn't really have a signature hole. Every hole here, you can either love it or hate it. Every hole will save you or hate you, #16 made me. #5 and #6 hated me. I double bogeyed them both.
-I loved this course! It's easy to navigate, it's pretty, the holes are all fair. None of the holes here are unfair, none of them. Some of them are very tough but none of them are really over the top for me. The OB may be irritating at time but none of the holes should really make you furious. The rain did though.
-Tell me if you want to know more.

Angry Beaver

1    11/23/2012   11/23/2012
Review By: tsaksa13
Pros: The course has a very nice layout. Some short technical shots and some open long shots. Big range of hole lengths from 200 ft to 800 ft. The stream is OB for some holes makes it a bit harder. The course was very clean and clearly marked from hole to hole.
Cons: The retention pond on hole 5 can be a loss of a disc so be careful where you throw.
Other Thoughts: One of the best courses I've played from difficulty to cleanliness to layout.

Great course

2-4    7/16/2012   10/16/2012
Review By: steven2361
Pros: Disclaimer: I only played the worlds layout.

There are solid concrete tees here and sometimes long tees. I love how the course starts with three birdie holes and then begins to get difficult. It's great that the first three holes are all treacherous greens. Even though they are short, they are not gimmies. Hole 4 is a great forced straight shot with ob on either side of the fairway. Hole 6 is a demanding placement par 4 that is very tough to stay clean on the skinny fairway. 7 is a solid dogleg right par 3. 8 is a good par 4. Even though the hole is only 380' a 3 does feel like a birdie here. Off the tee there are two defined gaps split by a large tree. Anywhere left or ricocheted left here will be OB. It is a tight twisty fairway and at the green there is more OB behind the basket. Hole 9 has a unique shaped fairway. It is a left turning horseshoe that goes up and back down. The drive plays up and over OB making it like an island hole. Again, you will need a gut check as you decide whether to run your putt or not. Hole 10 is a good downhill, tight, tunnel shot. Hole 11 is a great dogleg right par 4. Hole 12 is tight and doglegs left but has a tricky angle to it. Hole 13 is a solid uphill hole. Hole 15 is solid left turning par 3. Hole 16 is solid left turning par 4. 18 is an awesome finishing hole. It is a par 5 with a generous fairway to rip some drives on. Enjoy the finish.
Cons: Hole 5 from the short tee was too easy of a birdie for me. I could just throw two 250 foot hyzers and drop in my 3. It was not worth going for the 2 with the OB so I found it a boring hole. I have not played it from the long tee. Some small branches in the middle of the fairways seemed flukey and unfair when I played there.Hole 14's drive is really short and boring to me. It is a par 4 where I throw two putters to get to the green which is not very fun. Hole 17 feels exactly like hole 7 to me as it requires the same line.

The short par 4s are repetitive to me. Just not what I prefer.

Slightly Irritated Beaver

5+    8/19/2012   8/21/2012
Review By: BraveThrower43
Pros: Angry Beaver is a very tough course that compliments the eager very well. Much like Nevin this course is about contol and can you throw accurate shots.

There are a few holes where you can bomb like hole 5 short pad and hole 18 but beware there is O.B. or thick woods nearbye.

I love how the course rocks you to sleep as you start because 1 2 3 &4are so straight forward and then you get to 5 and it starts getting tough.

The worlds layout took out my least favorite hole in Long 5!

The fact that there are two completly different courses on this property has to be the biggest Pro
Cons: The biggest con for me is this course just isn't memorable after about hole 10. It seems to get boring. While I do like the holes for the most part they just never really stand out in my mind.

It can be confusing to newcomers which course is which because the first few holes of angry arnt very long so theyre thinking" man I can do this" then holes 4 and 5 hit them hard. We had a group behind us on angry carrying ultimate discs and they had found there way onto the wrong course. They ended up giving up after hole 7

Confusing transitions for first timers. Hole 1 to 2 is marked but still a long strange transition and several places on the back 9 are confusing with multiple tees nearbye

There are a few places that I feel the OB can be a bit much such as hole 8 and the random OB creek halfway down hole 10.

No benches and very few trashcans which leads to litter.
Other Thoughts: Angry beaver is a serious challenge. The style of play is just like Nevin in that it's all about placement off the tee. This one is a tough course so bring your A game if you are traveling through. I definatly recomend this one!

< Prev 1 2 3 4