Charlotte, NC
Elon Park - Angry Beaver Share
Uploaded By: DiscChucker Hole #12 (Taken 7/2010)

Rain makes me angry

1    4/27/2013   4/27/2013
Review By: Bennybennybenny
Pros: -Great park with a gymnasium, place for fishing, game room, trail for walking, playground and TWO disc golf courses!
-This course at Elon seems to be worked on a little more than Eager Beaver because it has benches and trash cans unlike Eager Beaver.
-I like how this course gives you an opprotunity to score well on the first three holes, once you get to #4 you are like "This must be the hardest on the course." By the time you are on #5 you are thinking "How did this get here?!?!" Do not let the first three fool you because it gets tricky really fast.
-Great mix of holes here. It has elevation used pretty well, a few dropoffs, holes 200+ to 800'+, doglegs, and a few open holes but it's mostly wooded.
-A few short tees from worlds because some holes (particularly #5) can be a lot of trouble. I didn't mind playing the long tees though, I parred #4 but I did blow up on #5 because of terrible approach shots. The hole isn't so hard if you really throw hard.
-On this course, I have two favorite holes, #10 and #16. #10 is a straight downhill tunnel shot par 3 over the creek. Once you are over, the approach shot is pretty open. It says that it's 268' but it think it's about 305', it PLAYS maybe 268'. #16 is a slightly downhill dogleg left par 4. I threw a 320' hyzer and got an easy birdie even though I was in the woods, it's not bad if you are short on this hole, but it isn't pleasant if you overthrow. With that said, I think #2 is the most memorable along with #5.
#2 is an uphill 158' par 3 with the lake 5' behind the basket. I liked the design over the vegetation. It was a bit like #15 at South Mountain, except this hole isn't steep downhill. It's very easy to throw past the basket and land in the water just like an overthrow on #15 at South Mountain will get you in the DEEP woods. #5 was also memorable, it's the longest and toughest on the course close to the road. The big mound is close to it, some people wish the tee for #5 is on the mound.
-Very scenic walk in the woods. Very pretty course! It's VERY well maintained and very well taken care of. I enjoyed the beauty of this course, it's a pretty walk in a nice little forest. It was raining very hard when I played, I felt like I was in a conferous forest. A very pretty one.
-Water is used very nicely around the course. This may be a con for some people but I didn't mind it really.
-Both of the finishing holes end close to the first holes. On both courses. The first tees are both close to the parking lot. To get to the parking lot, just keep going past the white baskets (which are the baskets for this course.) and keep driving, just follow the road.
-At Winthrop University, it has two courses. It doesn't have teesigns that say which course you are playing. It doesn't have teesigns period. This place has teesigns that say angry beaver, and eager beaver on the teesigns so you know which course you are playing. The baskets are also different colors. The Eager Beaver baskets are yellow and the baskets on this course are white. The course kiosk is close to both first tees as well.
#18 was a great way to finish. It's an open dogleg right par 5. It was an easy par for me because I just threw three drives 250' and that left me with a short approach shot. It's long but if you throw decent drives down the fairway, you won't get worse than a bogey.
-Plenty of arrows pointing you to the next tee.
Cons: -When it rains, the fairway (or trail) leading to #3's basket is wet. Bring your old shoes and expect to get dirty because if your disc goes down #9's dropoff, you literally have to jump down six feet into the creek to get your disc. This course is VERY muddy. Do NOT play in the rain. I'm serious! I was extremely happy with my score of +10 in heavy rain. Discs will slip out of your hand and you could have a crappy shot. I had plenty of them.
-The vegetation on #3 is out of control! #2's didn't bug me because it's uphill so you can see the basket, plus it's very short. #3, you can't see the basket from the tee, I lost a cheetah on that hole. #3 wasn't a bad hole but the vegetation is horrible.
-The OB can bother you, a lot. This course has penalization written all over it. It wasn't the water that bugged me but this course has plenty of ropes that if you go past, you are penalized and some people won't like #9's island green rule. The teeshot is narrow and the trees cna give a nasty kick. If you go over the water, you are fine. I ignored the OB today because it was raining.
-#10's teepad is too small, so is #17's. Not the appropriate length for a teepad with holes almost 300'.
Other Thoughts: -I loved this course. It was very interesting and very scenic. I would have had a better score if it wasn't rainy today. I enjoyed this course anyway. Every hole is interesting in it's own way. This is the advanced level course at Elon but it's more forgiving than Nevin and Renaissance. It can still frustrate you. I got frustrated because of the rain which really bumped up my score.
-If you want an ace here, it can happen but at Eager Beaver, you have a bigger chance in an ace. #1-#3 can be aced and #13 could possibly be aced as well. #13 is an uphill ace run that goes into the woods. Some people think it messes with the flow of the course but it's a nice break from all the difficult holes you play is what I think about it.
-A warning here would be that OB isn't light. I lost two discs here. The course is scenic but you need to keep your eye on where the disc lands. Particularly #2 and #3. Those are the holes I lost discs on, and if you go into the water on #2, your disc is gone.
-This course doesn't really have a signature hole. Every hole here, you can either love it or hate it. Every hole will save you or hate you, #16 made me. #5 and #6 hated me. I double bogeyed them both.
-I loved this course! It's easy to navigate, it's pretty, the holes are all fair. None of the holes here are unfair, none of them. Some of them are very tough but none of them are really over the top for me. The OB may be irritating at time but none of the holes should really make you furious. The rain did though.
-Tell me if you want to know more.

Angry Beaver

1    11/23/2012   11/23/2012
Review By: tsaksa13
Pros: The course has a very nice layout. Some short technical shots and some open long shots. Big range of hole lengths from 200 ft to 800 ft. The stream is OB for some holes makes it a bit harder. The course was very clean and clearly marked from hole to hole.
Cons: The retention pond on hole 5 can be a loss of a disc so be careful where you throw.
Other Thoughts: One of the best courses I've played from difficulty to cleanliness to layout.

Great course

2-4    7/16/2012   10/16/2012
Review By: steven2361
Pros: Disclaimer: I only played the worlds layout.

There are solid concrete tees here and sometimes long tees. I love how the course starts with three birdie holes and then begins to get difficult. It's great that the first three holes are all treacherous greens. Even though they are short, they are not gimmies. Hole 4 is a great forced straight shot with ob on either side of the fairway. Hole 6 is a demanding placement par 4 that is very tough to stay clean on the skinny fairway. 7 is a solid dogleg right par 3. 8 is a good par 4. Even though the hole is only 380' a 3 does feel like a birdie here. Off the tee there are two defined gaps split by a large tree. Anywhere left or ricocheted left here will be OB. It is a tight twisty fairway and at the green there is more OB behind the basket. Hole 9 has a unique shaped fairway. It is a left turning horseshoe that goes up and back down. The drive plays up and over OB making it like an island hole. Again, you will need a gut check as you decide whether to run your putt or not. Hole 10 is a good downhill, tight, tunnel shot. Hole 11 is a great dogleg right par 4. Hole 12 is tight and doglegs left but has a tricky angle to it. Hole 13 is a solid uphill hole. Hole 15 is solid left turning par 3. Hole 16 is solid left turning par 4. 18 is an awesome finishing hole. It is a par 5 with a generous fairway to rip some drives on. Enjoy the finish.
Cons: Hole 5 from the short tee was too easy of a birdie for me. I could just throw two 250 foot hyzers and drop in my 3. It was not worth going for the 2 with the OB so I found it a boring hole. I have not played it from the long tee. Some small branches in the middle of the fairways seemed flukey and unfair when I played there.Hole 14's drive is really short and boring to me. It is a par 4 where I throw two putters to get to the green which is not very fun. Hole 17 feels exactly like hole 7 to me as it requires the same line.

The short par 4s are repetitive to me. Just not what I prefer.

Slightly Irritated Beaver

5+    8/19/2012   8/21/2012
Review By: BraveThrower43
Pros: Angry Beaver is a very tough course that compliments the eager very well. Much like Nevin this course is about contol and can you throw accurate shots.

There are a few holes where you can bomb like hole 5 short pad and hole 18 but beware there is O.B. or thick woods nearbye.

I love how the course rocks you to sleep as you start because 1 2 3 &4are so straight forward and then you get to 5 and it starts getting tough.

The worlds layout took out my least favorite hole in Long 5!

The fact that there are two completly different courses on this property has to be the biggest Pro
Cons: The biggest con for me is this course just isn't memorable after about hole 10. It seems to get boring. While I do like the holes for the most part they just never really stand out in my mind.

It can be confusing to newcomers which course is which because the first few holes of angry arnt very long so theyre thinking" man I can do this" then holes 4 and 5 hit them hard. We had a group behind us on angry carrying ultimate discs and they had found there way onto the wrong course. They ended up giving up after hole 7

Confusing transitions for first timers. Hole 1 to 2 is marked but still a long strange transition and several places on the back 9 are confusing with multiple tees nearbye

There are a few places that I feel the OB can be a bit much such as hole 8 and the random OB creek halfway down hole 10.

No benches and very few trashcans which leads to litter.
Other Thoughts: Angry beaver is a serious challenge. The style of play is just like Nevin in that it's all about placement off the tee. This one is a tough course so bring your A game if you are traveling through. I definatly recomend this one!

1    7/14/2012   7/14/2012
Review By: TalbotTrojan
Pros: There are some absolutely spectacular holes on this course. The design on the course is good and it makes really good use of the stream that runs through the park. This is a huge park with a second much easier course there for the newer players. There is a very good viriety early on, but this fades away as the round goes on. Hole 18 is rather epic and even though I triple bogied it, it was still memorable in a good way. There are some really nice benches. Nice tee pads. Some of the baskets are aging a bit but for the most part they are still in very good condition. There are sports fields and I am sure more than I saw in the park. There is a very nice parking lot specifically in the disc golf area. The tee signs are really good and for the most part it is easy to find the next hole. This course is really all about the challenge.
Cons: The biggest con here for me was how the course started to feel repeatative about halfway through. Most of these are the holes that a long through tight woods with a dog leg one way or the other. So many of these holes I was just plain sick of them by the end. A bit more creativity would have made this course a 4 easily. Some of the OB lines are ridiculous, especially hole 9. Island green? Isn't it bad enough that you have to hit a tiny gap? There are a few walks from one hole to the next that might be a bit difficult.
Other Thoughts: I would highly recommend taking a map with you simply because there are a couple of long walks and poorly marked trails from one hole to the next. It looks as if they were well marked recently and just simple use by people who don't care or respect the course have made it not as good as it was. If you come to play this course, I would plan on playing the shorter easier course afterwards just so that you get your good feelings back. This really is a tough one and one I would not reccomend for newer players. This course does compare with some of the top courses in teh area, it really is just about that simple lack of creativity to holds this course back.

Upset Beaver

2-4    6/16/2012   6/16/2012
Review By: ssittler
Pros: With all the courses we have in Charlotte this is definitely a gem in the crown.
I'll call it the Upset Beaver now however because it's been shortened for the World's event. It was definitely Angry before, but the shorter holes increase the pace of play and provide some Anger management.
The first 3 holes give you a chance to get under par. After that, it's up to you to score because the course gives nothing.
Most of the course plays in the woods so you'll need to hit lines, mostly with midrange discs. I can't remember a single hole where max driver would have been appropriate. That said it's a great challenge.
Cons: This is petty but there are not benches on every hole. I'm getting older so this is now something I notice.
Other Thoughts: A great venue for everyone when you consider both the Eager and Angry Beaver.

Nice course

1    9/17/2010   9/17/2011
Review By: snoborderphx
Pros: Great Course, very fun, a nice mix of long and technical holes. I liked how this course had long holes mixed with more technical holes instead of the front 9 being technical and the back 9 being the long holes
Cons: I was too beginner to throw this course. Intermediate and above should play this course. The only things I didn't like about the course were the briar patch on 2 bc I threw it right in the briars, and how long the course was when I played it. I would do much better now, but I needed more practice before playing this course
Other Thoughts: Bring Water, good shoes, and a good attitude.

South Charlotte Gem

5+    8/22/2011   8/22/2011
Review By: jamsandwich
Pros: Not crowded after 5pm. Good length. Course plays very spacious, not on top of other groups. Risk Reward is Med. Not really sure how you'd lose discs out here if you are halfway decent.
Cons: Kind of confusing to play. Not a lot of action means spiderwebs in the summer. Parking can be a hassle sometimes.
Other Thoughts: Wish this course was here when I was in high school. A great alternative to renny for kids from deep south charlotte.

Angry but not Furious

2-4    8/6/2011   8/12/2011
Review By: jksenior
Pros: Great test of skill and tests virtually every shot in your bag.
- I like a course with true par 4's (and a 5 or two), not just long par 3's disguised as 4's.
- Forces you to think before you throw.
- The terrain is nice and varied, not too hilly, but provides a good change of elevation for many holes.
- Good use of the water that 's around and through the course. Makes you think about where your shot will fall out to.
- Very fair for lefty's and righty's.
- In a nicely maintained park in a good area of town.
Cons: Just a few cons that could be overcome.
- Tee signs as mentioned before; the tee signs are creative but hard to read. Makes the course more difficult to navigate that it should. Hard to read distances and have no picture/diagram of the hole.
- tee pads were nice and consistent but a little short
- very few opportunities to throw a full driver. mostly fairway and controlled drivers or mids. I took all of my max drivers out of the bag for a second round.
Other Thoughts: I played the angry beaver as part of a one-day tournament. Was my first time on the course. Playing the morning round blind was very difficult. This is definitely a course where you benefit from playing it multiple times.

I went into expecting it to be tough, it was, but not unfairly so. Definitely worth a trip to play. Also play the short course as a warm-up.

5+    8/7/2011   8/7/2011
Review By: hogleggbob
Pros: quality course in south charlotte , that is designed towards the pro to advanced level player. nice concrete pads at every hole and nice white disc catchers. this course will force you to throw controlled fairway shots. a kick the wrong way will cost you strokes . every hole makes you think. alot of OB , and a island green on hole #9 that can kill a round quickly.
Cons: it can get sloppy during the winter, and when the creek is flowing, discs will disappear. there are still alot of tripper stumps in the fairways. has some benches and trashcans, but it could use some more
Other Thoughts: overall this course is a test worthy round. par is a pretty solid round. if you want to warm up before playing the beaver, the park also has a beginner level course that will sure up your approach game. i think this is a top 5 charlotte course as far as difficulty goes