Crystal Springs, MS
Chautauqua Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: WSP420 Hole #7 (Taken 8/2013)

New Layout?

5+    5/24/2013   4/24/2013
Review By: WSP420
This review was updated on 5/25/2014
Pros: -Multiple tees
-Challenging and fun
-Very nice park & well maintained
-Well shaded, even on some of the more open holes
-Just enough water and O.B. to keep you on your toes
Cons: -They just rearranged this course. Some pins still have the old hole numbers on them & the signage is still up from the old layout... it can get a bit confusing.
-Although there are benches and trash cans, few are located on the holes themselves.
Other Thoughts: Be sure to take a RIGHT after Hole #6, The sign at the basket points to the left. Hole #12 is LEFT, Hole #7 is RIGHT.

I could stay out there all day, very nice park.

Jaw Droppiness

1    4/22/2010   4/23/2010
Review By: Martin Dewgarita
Pros: A quick pit stop off of the freeway was at first a little strange, but its uniqueness builds a character that I have not seen in other courses, even the deaf fisherman who was using the first basket as a shelf for his tacklebox was a welcome character bonus. In the end, it was a very enjoyable, excitingly different round of disc golf.

Parking. A huge, shaded, parking area is provided for the city park visitor center, for the hiking trails, fishing, or any other activities, including the disc golf course, the parking is located at the first left from the entrance to the park, directly in front of the visitor center.

Scorecard/Map. Now, I guess I'll put this in the "pro" section, as it's great that they provide this service, located on a printed sheet of paper, scorecards with maps on the back can be found in a mailbox at hole one. The map for the most part is fairly helpful, but some of the holes are not where they are drawn on the map, namely 8 and 9, I'll get more into that in the 'con' section.

Jaw Droppiness. I made up a word just for this course. Holes 3 and 4, and 10-16 all went about like this: Finish previous hole, wander around for a few minutes until stumbling upon next hole's tee markers, read the distance marking and rough map of the hole, bring my vision up to match this rough map with the terrain, Jaw drops. Incredible! Huge elevation, Big gully crossings, pins on rock outcroppings, long boardwalks, sketchy bridges, and just an overall awesomeness, definitely makes the side trip worth while.

Variety of holes. There's not a whole lot of length, most holes are just over 300 or less, but what it lacks in length, it makes up for in creativity, with a good mix of technical, accuracy shots and open shots, one hole, number 16 has some decent length, and even the 'open' holes, have many strategically placed trees to make the hole just difficult enough. I wasn't to the point where I was swearing constantly, mostly it was just an enjoyable round.

Nice Baskets. A brand new course, with brand new baskets is always nice.

Tidy. I don't recall seeing very many garbage cans, but everything was quite clean. I'll attribute that to the constant flow of people working in the area, and the lack of people playing the course.

No People! In the entire time I was there, I saw nobody else with discs or even paying attention to the course, I had the entire course to myself, well, that is besides all of the other people walking around randomly.

Signage. As the map was quite difficult to follow and hardly accurate, the signs all over the place pointing the way to the next "T", the course was quite easy to navigate for the most part, I only got lost between 7 and 8 - keep walking past the visible 17 tee.
Cons: Tees/Lack of signage. The tee box was, in similar style as ball golf, two while blocks of wood to mark the front of the tee box. One block of wood had a rough sketch of the hole, and the other had the hole number and distance. Which is really all I need, I found it rather sufficient, and it felt it even added to the character of the course. But, most of the tees were quite small and uneven, the talk of concrete tees is still abuzz, so maybe in the near future the tees will be replaced and permanent signs put in.

Multiuse Park: Again, it's wonderful that disc golfers can live in harmony with other recreationists, but I found holes 1 and 2 extremely difficult to play with the additional hazard of deaf fishermen. Even the ones that could hear didn't pay any attention to me, and I played very conservatively as not to hit anyone.

Lost Discs: It is inevitable, losing discs, but this course with thick brush and blind holes as well as deep water hazards, I could easily see it eating up discs, in fact I found a nice disc that I will be adding to my bag, after I called the number that has been disconnected.

Clusterf*ck. The series of holes from 6-10, 17 and 18 are all crammed into a small area that is quite confusing to navigate. This could easily be solved by removing 2 of the holes and making it an 18 hole course rather than 20, or it appears that there is a ton of land that the course could possibly be expanded on to.
Other Thoughts: Closing Thoughts: In all, a quite enjoyable course to play, a gem worth going out of the way for, I would play it again if I am passing through the area.

Favorite Hole: I'll go with number 11, the first in a series of Jaw droppers, a short accurate shot across a deep gulley.