Crystal Springs, MS
Chautauqua Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: notapro Hole #9 (Taken 12/2010)

1 2 Next >
 HILLS!! and WOODS!!

1    2/17/2010   2/18/2010
Review By: NDABRUSH
This review was updated on 2/19/2010
Pros: Map and scorecard in mailbox by 1st tee. Plenty of elevation and trees create some scenic shots and surroundings along with a few ace runs for pros and 1 or 2 for us rec players. Oh and the ace runs are not super short and open. Water in play on hole 1 and 2. Don't over throw 1 or your disc will be swimming with the fishes or across the water with no way to retrieve it except to jump in or walk up to the road and try to go down this steep embankment. A creek in play on a couple of holes also. Some pucker up pin placements which of course if missed can change your score by a couple of strokes. Some are next to a stream or just by a steep drop off. Next hole signs help to navigate a brand new course. Several annys and some hyzers too along with some straight shots add variety because there are some off each that are fair and some really tight. Some up hill and some downhill and my favorite across the valley to the opposite hill. Just a good selection of hole types. A couple of risk reward shots/options. This course is heavily wooded in my opinion and a majority of it plays like and has the feel of a state park course more so than a city park. Just more secluded feeling except for a few of the front 9. We ran into the fine people that work there. They are working hard to get this course tournament/1st timer ready. Even though it is Heavily wooded it still has a couple of grip it shots, but you are still in the woods for the most part. This is the most hilly course that I have played so far, a real workout. Wildlife is always a plus for me and this time it was ducks, about a gaggle of them. They calmly walked next to us about 5 feet away like they are used to humans.(court house squirrels) For a rec player like me this course is challenging but not super hard. If I could have stayed away from the trees I would have had a few more pars. I look forward to coming back when the signs and concrete T-pads are in. For the pads she said soon. I asked "Within 2 months?" and she said yes. I didn't ask about T signs, sorry. The only reason I gave it a 4 is that I am pretending like it has new signage and concrete pads as it is supposed to within 60 days. Without both of these aspects, I would give it 3 1/2 instead of 4.
Cons: Temp cons. Natural uneven pads. No T signs. Have to spot many baskets.

Regular cons. Need a spotter in the winter because of the leaves which is expected on a wooded course in the winter. Muddy in a couple of parts. We have had snow and rain and little sun in this part of the country lately so this might not be a regular problem. I need to play it again when it is finished before I list anymore cons.
Other Thoughts: Overall I suggest wait a couple of months and give it a try. With new signage and concrete pads this in my opinion is a solid 4 disc course. A hilly and wooded jewel.

1    2/12/2010   2/18/2010
Review By: noahat
Pros: massive elevations changes
variety of shots required
beautiful scenery
good baskets
easy to find your way around due to great markings
Cons: dirt tees
some fairways are close together. I threw down another fairway on purpose on one hole b/c it seemed like the best path. If the layout stays the same, there should probably be a couple of mandos put in place to keep players from playing different fairways.
Other Thoughts: Overall, this is a great course and a fantastic addition to the area. The tee pads are dirt, but contain helpful markers that define the pad with a simple drawing of the hole design, which is surprisingly helpful. The other marker will have the hole distance. I think this is instantly one of the top courses in the state, with plenty of room for improvement. I think with some modifications, it could be the best.

Sunday Doubles

1    1/31/2010   1/31/2010
Review By: manglin
This review was updated on 2/18/2010
Pros: -Elevation change is remarkable.
-Shot type variety.
-Hole length variety.
-Extremely beautiful park and surrounding area.
-Brand new baskets.
-Variety of open holes vs. very wooded.
-Simple yet helpful hole markings and directions to the next tee after the previous basket.
Cons: -Tees. They are all natural now. Some are uneven, downhill, and uphill.
-Course could get backed up during heavy traffic on some holes due to fairways closely bordering each other.
-No benches or trash cans.
Other Thoughts: I got to witness this diamond in the rough during the JUDGES Sunday double round. It has water come into play on holes 1 and 2. After that you're pretty clear on big water (some creeks are the latter holes though). The park is very scenic, and has some other walking trails through out the woods. I would classify the course as moderate-to-heavily wooded. There are some open holes, but not many. In winter, this course is pretty "thick". I'll be interested to see how it's maintained during the spring/summer. I highly recommend this course to anyone in the area, and it's worth a drive too. It reminds me of Tombigbee in many ways, it has some characteristics of Bud Hill and Meeman-Shelby.

I have a pull cart that I use sometimes, and this course would not accommodate it all. With the elevation changes as they are, it makes you want to pack your bag much lighter next time.

I would say the course favors a LHBH shot, but there's still some RHBH lines if you look for them. And there's a fair amount of holes that favor a RHBH shot too.

I saw signs for restrooms, but I did not get a chance to check them out.

Almost Extreme Elevation

1    1/17/2010   1/17/2010
Review By: MikeK
Pros: For those who like courses with steep fairways and lots of strenuous hiking, this is a must-play. Pretty good signage to find your way around. Hole 16 is a gem, (525 feet). 15-A is a stunning shot off the top of a valley to a blind pin that's straight ahead. A beautiful, scenic park with lots of shade.
Cons: Hole 9 is a squeezed-in hole that interferes with 8 & 10 and should be skipped. 4-5-6 also crowd each other too much. No concrete pads yet. Would like to see less straight holes and more with bends or longer dog-legs.
Other Thoughts: Looks like the pins will have multiple placements and the longer pins should be amazing. Also a longer course can be laid out that's world-class caliber.

1 2 Next >