Orland, CA
Black Butte Lake DGC Share
Uploaded By: snappyfingers Hole #11
3 / 165ft.   3 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

Good course, but not great.

5+    1/16/2013   1/16/2013
Review By: Wayne Disqus
Pros: A good mix of shots at this course. Varies from technical ace run opportunities to open elevation changes with death putts. Nice in the spring and fall. Good for both novice and advanced players. Double loop design implemented. Doesn't favor RHBH. Well maintained.
Cons: Tee "pads" are terrible rubber mats that serve little to no purpose. Very slippery when wet. Natural tee pads are better IMO. Especially with the hard pack ground in that area. There's very few alternate pin locations. No stores anywhere near course and no running water. Hot in the summer just like all other courses in this area code.
Other Thoughts: I really like going out to this course a few times a year for the change of scenery. I feel it's a little short when the weather isn't scorching hot. Which can be good and bad depending on if you want to throw two rounds to feel satiated or not. I think the course could have been designed much better with the space that's available. My review of three discs is based upon looking up highly rated courses on this site and comparing them to this course.

Big Arms

1    2/21/2010   2/22/2010
Review By: evac1599
Pros: This is a very secluded course set up along the southeast shore of Black Butte Lake. I really enjoyed the long challenging shots. If you are looking for an endurance course, this is the one in Nor-Cal. Very tough long power heisers over deep gullys and big uphill shots. Plenty of variety with straight shots, dog leg lefts, dog leg rights, and blind drives. This course was good for a nice hike around the cliffs and hills surrounding the lake!
Cons: Oak trees, Oak trees, OAK TREES! Oh and did I mention oak trees. This made it very tough to figure out the right shot for the hole. I found myself siting at the tee pad for a while, thinking huh, I don't know. I also thought that the tee pads could use some work. The tees were short with no room for run up shots, and with the rubber pads it was very slick. I had to back up and shoot from behind the pads for fear that I might fall on my butt. Hole markers were practically non exsistant. Good thing I had my energetic 9 year old daughter to scope out the baskets, and pick up the discs that rolled down huge hills. Oh and you might want to watch for rattle snakes!