1 Helpful / 0 Not
Pros: - Campgrounds on site.
- 2 sets of tees that are both challenging and many offer different lines and not just pure distance.
- Excellent use of elevation throughout. Large downhill shots. Uphill shots. Elevated baskets.
- A mix of hole types. Some wide open bombs. Some tight technical lines. FH shots. BH shots, it has it all.
- Good signage and next tee info where needed made navigation easy.
A few just excellent holes that I want to highlight:
#2: There is a small berm wrapped around the pond where the basket is located. To the left is the pond only ~15' with enough slope that a rollaway putt is a danger. To the right the hill slopes down further to a driveway (IB). From the shorts you are playing down the driveway and hoping to fade up onto the berm for a look. From the longs though - you have a large water carry. The way the pond is shapes leaves you a choices of how much carry to bite off and how much you want to leave for your putt / approach. Great risk/reward that forces a touch choice.
#4: Throwing down off a large hill (365' for both tees) to the edge of the pond. It is wide open except for a hedge row ~40' short of the pin that has a gap to give a clean look at the basket. There are also easy enough lines over the top of the hedge row. This one is very hard to range and since it is wide open on the top of the hill the wind comes into play as well. The pin is fairly close to the water so ranging this downhill shot can be very tricky. A ton of choices for how to get there, but your shot better have good accuracy or it may be painful.
#8: 394' par 3 (from shorts). Playing for an elevated tee down a powerline easement. The fairway is wide enough to give a few lines there (any successful shot I saw was a hyzerlip / s curve that used most of the lateral space to get there). Both sides are pretty thick in the rough so if your control isn't there it will be a bad hole....but it is open enough to tempt you to try and park it. Through my 2 rounds out of 10 Intermediate golfers only 2 shots had a reasonable look at 2. A couple good recoveries for 3 or 4....and a few really painful 5s and 6s.
Cons: - Tee pads are a mix of concrete and crushed stone. The concrete tees are way too short for most players.
- The wooded holes are just too tight. Some were better than others, but there were a few where you stand there and look at it wondering what you are even supposed to do (let alone how to execute it). General consensus was "hit this gap - hope for the best afterwards". Throw in a meandering OB stream that weaved through these holes where you KNOW early wood is happening and random OB strokes add up seemingly without reason. I saw what would be otherwise good shots take that unlucky skip (after clearing 95% of the danger flawlessly) into the 2' wide OB creek. There isn't really a risk/reward look here. It was just all risk. When you did card a 2 here it felt more like it was because you were lucky than because you executed a shot well.
- The tee signs are very, very basic (hole # & distance only).
- Not a huge con for me but worth noting. The water is very much in play for holes 2 & 4 with a decent chance at a lost disc. Especially for hole 2 from the longs. I watched many good golfers playing open end up in the pond.
Other Thoughts: -PTP. Well worth the few dollars so not a con for me.
I played this one in a tourney for the first time which is always an interesting experience. Overall, I had a great experience and loved the course. With a little work on the teepads and the few wooded holes I'd easily bump up this rating to a 4. The land is just beautiful, but I will warn that you will get a workout and will want to wear proper footwear (and bring water). Lots of hills. When I played it had rained the entire day prior and on and off throughout the day so there was a decent amount of mud & water.
1 of 1 people found this review helpful.
0 Helpful / 4 Not
great use of property
Pros: This course is certainly well kept and manicured. The fact that the fields the woods and the pond all come together to create a challenge at a professional level.
Cons: Some baskets i feel are set up in funky spots. That no matter what angle you have to putt from there is too much abstruction.
Other Thoughts: This course is worth the long drive that i took to play it again
0 of 4 people found this review helpful.
0 Helpful / 2 Not
Pros: This is a great course. Each hole has its challenges, long open holes, and short with lots of obstacles. The staff was very friendly and help full. I would request this course to everyone.
Cons: Some holes have some nasty really thick brush that could be cut back some. Tees could be marked a little better.
Other Thoughts: Over all this is the best course around. The thick brush will get fixed with the more players that play. This is a very new course so i know it will only get better
0 of 2 people found this review helpful.
2 Helpful / 1 Not
Pros: -Diversity of holes, great use of campground space and woods/power lines/pond
-Long and short tees on most holes
-Solar lights atop the new Discatchers
-Excellent use of elevation, when i played there were 12 baskets set up and there were two big bomb shots off one of the hills.
-Some real long shots to open up on, a few risk/reward shots with the pond, and some technical holes as well.
-Enthusiastic owner: I called him up to see if the course was open to visitors and he was psyched to have people calling, had a lot to say about expansion, concrete tee pads, tournaments, etc...
Cons: -some holes really held water making them a bit of a slop fest
- only one concrete teepad installed so far
-not open during the winter
Other Thoughts: This is getting the 3.5 for the 12-14 holes up when i was there; theres some really good looking land to be utilized for the planned 18 and beyond.
Im really psyched about this course because its got so much potential to be something really special in an area that doesnt have so much in the way of golf. Ill definitely be making the drive down from Ithaca a fair amount if the price to play isnt too high.
2 of 3 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.