Maple Bluff, WI
Johnson Park Share
Uploaded By: puttlikeablowfly Hole #3 (Taken 10/2010)

My new "home course"

5+    6/8/2014   6/8/2014
Review By: ElementZ
Pros: I live on the isthmus, so I guess this is my new home course. I like that it's free to play and it was very empty when I was there, which is unlike what you'd expect at Elver or Hiestand.

The baskets catch very well and the tee signs are very adequate for conveying information about the hole. The tees are dirt and do just fine.

What I liked about this course was playing it over and over again trying to play a perfect game (of 12 strokes). The closest I got was 13 because #5 is tricky and the hardest hole on the course.

Hole #3 was definitely my favorite. It's a very short 123 foot hole, but the ace isn't easy. Coming from the left is not an option, but the easiest hyzer line is blocked too. It's aceable, but tricky.

I liked the design of the course for the most part. Every hole is quite different from the others. Even though the holes are short, they're fun to play several times.
Cons: This course is not challenging. In fact, a lot of people would say it's really boring. There's really nothing to attract people here. I don't really know how to elaborate on this...
Other Thoughts: All in all, it really is a great beginner's course. It's a course you can come to and work on your approaches and your putts. If you're reading this and you take a four on any of these holes, you should probably just pack up your things and go home before you lose any more of your dignity. ;)

Seriously though, it's really hard to say something substantial about this course. It's passable. Have fun!

Super short six

1    8/23/2013   8/26/2013
Review By: wolfhaley
Pros: The new mach 2's are very nice baskets. They were in awesome shape and caught nicely. They used the moderate amount of trees pretty well here. Course layout flows easily from one hole to the next. Very basic tee signs with a simple hole layout, hole number, distance and par. These serve their purpose.
Cons: Ridiculously short and only six holes. No elevation or really any kind of challenge here. The natural tees aren't terrible but not great either. With that being said you don't need much room for a run up due to the shortness of the course.
Other Thoughts: Not worth a trip out of your way to play this. I'd only recommend it you like to play as many courses as you can like me. I played in between rounds at elver and hiestand on my way down to Milwaukee. It's 6 holes so yeah.

Maple Bluff

1    7/12/2013   7/15/2013
Review By: Lanomode
Pros: This "course" is extremely close to my house. A quick round if you don't have much time.
Cons: Only a six hole. A touch confusing when your trying to find the next tee. Better off not playing, instead of doing the quick round here. No challenge at all. Dirt tees.
Other Thoughts: I expected better from Maple Bluff. Even when softly driving from the tee, you throw past the basket.

Little Johnson

1    9/28/2012   11/5/2012
Review By: Jukeshoe
Pros: - Johnson Park DGC is a six-basket affair located in a small city park just outside downtown Madcity. Pitch n putt exemplified, with no holes getting to 230' in length. Mostly open lawn, with a few scattered trees make this course the perfect fast one-disc play.
- Interesting greens on #'s 3 and 4. A small raised area adjacent to some park stairs and a sidewalk is nicely sheltered by bushes and mature trees, creating a novel putting circle. #4's green is protected by a wall of trees, low branches preventing much of an open lane.
- Decent safari material fo' sho', or as a practice area.
Cons: - Natural tees in fairly rutted condition.
- Repetitive in length.
- Not much of a challenge unless one is severely impaired.
- Apparently the baskets are pulled in the winter.
Other Thoughts: - Located on the edge of the upscale neighborhood of Maple Bluff, Johnson is perfect for glow or safari rounds in the city. This course is very close to my old neighborhood in Madison, and if I were still there I'd definitely hit Johnson up for night rounds (I didn't disc back then, so I didn't play the course until recently). It's nothing thrilling, but perfect for a quick glow putter round when the light starts fading, or as a place to practice drives or putting.
- Introduce your date to disc golf, play a quick and easy 6-hole round and then go to the gazebo to "make out," or whatever the kids are calling it nowadays.

Great course for a first timer

1    5/31/2012   6/3/2012
Review By: discdan
Pros: If you have never played disc golf or are just starting this would be a great place to start. There is a good variety of shots and a few holes that make you think about your throws. At the same time the holes are not to long to discourage you if you get excited when you throw 200'
There is also plenty of chances to make up your own holes. I was the only person there when I played and I could have thrown at any tee from anywhere if I wanted.
This course would be a great confidence builder for somebody just starting this sport and a good quiet place to learn the fundamentals.
Cons: If you have played for more than a few months this course will probably bore you. I shot a par with a disc that I had never used before, and it was by no means a all around disc, and I was not putting that much effort in either.
Other Thoughts: The directions around the course are not that great, there was one tee that I could not find although i didn't look to hard.
As I have said it's a great course for a beginner but I wont be returning since it is not challenging enough for me.

A Great Warm Up

2-4    9/17/2011   9/18/2011
Review By: CapnInsanoMJF
This review was updated on 10/12/2011
Pros: Short. Relaxed pace for anyone.
Great for working on your accurate midrange throwing, putting.
Clean and beautiful.
Designed well, it's balanced, 2 righty holes, 2 lefty holes, and 2 straight.
Quiet, not busy at all.
Cons: Tees are dirt, with a wood piece at the end. Stubbed my toe!
Not much else to complain about.
Other Thoughts: This tiny community park was so cute. Great practice place or warm up spot if you're going to Hiestand or Vallarta-Ast.

Plenty of Potential to Get Creative!

5+    8/21/2011   8/22/2011
Review By: jhgonzo
Pros: 1. Variety. I usually don't expect too much from a short course in a small city park, and while the hole lengths are VERY short, there's enough left/right balance to keep things interesting and force you to work on some different shot types. Some holes offer various lines, the open ones in the 250' range let you crank on a midrange, and the shortest ones will really test what would be your approach shots on a "regular" course. A few gentle mounds add some elevation.
2. Maintenance. Other than a box of dirty clothes stashed under a pine tree, I didn't notice much litter out here, surprising for being in such a busy neighborhood in a popular park. The landscaping is gorgeous, with a little gazebo in the center of the park and (when I was there) fresh woodchips around all the little gardens. Nice diversity in the foliage.
3. Design. I'm not sure if the original or the redesign or both were Duster's handiwork, but in any case you can tell this wasn't just plopped down by an inexperienced designer or a clueless parks department. There are some tight little hyzer routes on the shortest holes, but again the lines to hit are evident, and creative lines are always a potential.
4. Signage. Good basic signage of the old-school variety, which helps to know which basket you're throwing to since sometimes more than one is visible off the tee (of course, the safari options out here are just begging to be exploited -- see Other Thoughts below). Accurate distances.
5. Not busy. Obviously with courses like Token, Elver, and Hiestand nearby and other 18-hole options within a half-hour drive, this beginner course doesn't experience heavy traffic. Unfortunately for me, the weekend I was visiting Madison was the weekend of the MCO (which I was not playing in, but for which they closed EVERY ONE of the courses to the public, something they used to only close 2 of the 3 and leave one for the recreational/traveling players), so the overflow was apparent. Even so, if you happen across this course on a busy day, things still move quickly with the short distances.
6. Beginner course. This is by far probably the best course for introducing new people to the sport. While I played out here repeatedly over the weekend, I noticed people playing that you normally wouldn't see on a course like Token, et al...a lesbian couple in their 50s walking their dogs around the park a few times while they played a quick game, families, just people you wouldn't expect to have even a fleeting interest in the game. The location of this course in a bustling neighborhood is prime land for getting new people into the game, and it's definitely doing its job in that regard. Good job, Madison!
7. Safari options. This isn't a permanent feature of the course, and it seems like most of the locals don't get very imaginative either since my buddy and I were the only ones making up holes, but it seems to me that part of the intention of this course's redesign was its potential for safari golf; I don't know that to be true, but it really looks that way with the pin locations and routes available to them from non-tee areas of the park.
Cons: 1. Dirt tees. I guess they're listed as grass, but have since been eroded to dirt. Probably only a matter of time before they resemble the pads at Baird Creek in Green Bay. Some rubber mats are really all that would be needed out here to alleviate this and prevent the erosion from becoming an eyesore in the near future.
2. Short, not too challenging. No real tunnel shots, no big elevation changes, no hazards. This is to be expected in such a little park, not knocking off any points for unchangeable natural features.
3. Some tees are close to previous baskets, and hearing "Fore!" will be common on the busier days out here, especially since beginners seem to love flashy high-speed drivers! Hopefully nothing will ever be traveling at Doss-like speeds out here, though.
Other Thoughts: As noted above, this is what it is...a nice little park that's had disc golf incorporated quite nicely into it. It's definitely not an unimaginative, boring little city course like I would expect.

I noticed most reviewers are either traveling players who wanted to add another course to their list by playing this quickly and moving on to the bigger Madison Area courses or locals who prefer (obviously) the 3 superb courses in town. I'm reviewing this as someone who didn't have an opportunity to play those courses due to the MCO, so instead I played here all weekend with my buddy, who lives across the street. If I had this across the street from my house, I'd be out here ALL THE TIME. There are some really awesome safari holes just begging to be discovered, and I came up with probably 8 or 9 new holes, whereas my friend already had 10 or so of his own, so you can play 18-plus holes out here without repeating any of them. Bring a portable basket, and the options are endless! Not only that, but if you want to make things interesting you can create plenty of artificial OB with the walking trail and woodchips. I realize that potential to make up your own holes exists on pretty much any course with permanent baskets and thus isn't unique to this course, but then again at most other courses you just play your round and leave, whereas here you could bring the kids to play on the playground, have a picnic or cookout, and make up holes all day. And it's possible to create some BIG holes out here with tight lines to hit, especially using #1's basket, which appears to be the lowest point in the park, so from pretty much anywhere else you're playing downhill to this basket.

Night golfing out here is also a blast! This quickly became one of my favorite "less than 18 holes" courses in the span of 24 hours, playing it repeatedly, and I can't wait to go back and bring my portable basket! Hopefully, though, I'll also be able to play the other courses.

Great 6 Hole Course

5+    6/25/2011   7/2/2011
Review By: HalloweenGod85
Pros: I have had a problem with people comparing apples to oranges when it comes to DGC so I'm inventing what I call the "Is what it is rating" which rates a course to comparable courses. With that in mind I give this course 4 stars. This is a short 6 hole course that plays through a well groomed park with nice brand new baskets. Great for taking someone to learn the game for the first time or for a quality player to work on the approach and putt game. Each hole requires a different shot pushing up the fun factor. Hole 1 is a ever so slight straigh down hill shot with a few guard maples on each side on the fairway. Hole 2 offers a chance for a low anhyzer (rhbh) or a gutsy hyzer through some tight lines between more maples. Hole 3 is short and plays up to the basket located on a well groomed mound, big pine guards the left while low bushes guard the right side. Hole 4 is a short dog leg left requiring a low shot through a smallish gap, great chance for a skip ace. Hole 5 is straight shot, left side lined with bushes, a short tree guards the middle of the fairway with a few maples on the right side. Has a few options to throw. Hole 6 is an open hole, just you and the backet 175 feet away.
Water fountain on site. Gazebo in middle of park to take in some shade. Even when the park is busy,which it is normaly not, play goes fast.
Cons: Multiuse park so need to watch out of walkers. Some tables that people use are pretty close to hole 6 fairway. An errant throw can land you in someones backyard (hole 1) or the street (holes 2 and 5). Dirt tee pads. No bathrooms
Other Thoughts: Check it out, great if your short on time. Possible to throw a single round in 15 minutes.

Excellent beginner course

1    5/7/2011   6/20/2011
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through a pretty and well-kept neighborhood park. The park is full of nice trees and bushes, and the grass is full and nicely mowed. The holes are all short, making it ideal for newer players and kids to learn the sport, complementing the tougher Madison area courses. Though there isn't much distance, nearly every hole requires avoiding trees, and there are a couple minor elevation changes to add some variety. The course requires left and right turning shots, so beginners will be pushed to learn how to make discs fly on different lines. There are decent tees and signs, and the baskets are brand new. The flow of the course is really easy to follow, so it won't frustrate first time players.
Cons: The course is obviously designed for beginners, so it doesn't offer much challenge to players with more experience. Every hole is an ace run, and there isn't any punishment for running at the basket even if you miss your line. There are some safety issues here, especially if newer, less accurate players are throwing. Many holes play near one another. Walking paths and gazebos are in play on some holes as well.
Other Thoughts: If I were rating beginner courses, this would be one of my favorites. It's short, but interesting, so good scores are attainable but not easy for newer players. For people with more developed skill sets, this is nothing but putter ace runs, so don't come here expecting any kind of challenge. We played as it was getting dark and there are enough street lights that you could probably play at night without glow discs here.

Great Starter Course

1    6/5/2011   6/6/2011
Review By: caimeg
Pros: Great for Newbies
Great For Kids
Well Maintained
Not very busy
Cons: Short holes
Only 6 holes
Kind of close to road
Other Thoughts: If you are an average player it will not challenge you much but it will be great to show others the game and get them hooked.